Rivals and partners comment on Apple's recent moves.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Dear Acer,

Normal people couldn't care less about "open" or "closed". Only geeks who buy Acer products care about that. Real people just care about products that work.

Cheers

C'mon. That is just plain silly in the era of Steve crowing about HTML 5.

You seem to have your memes mixed up. These days, Apple fans should act as if they care about open standards. It is the official stance of Apple fans.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

That's why Linux never will become an OS for the mass (even being great server OSes)

Nor Mac, if you're listening only to Windows fanboys.

Meanwhile, millions feel differently:

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/09...he-1-myth.html
  • Reply 63 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Tell you what. You found and build a multi-billion dollar international manufacturing firm like Dell or Acer, and then you'll be in a position to criticize their management.

Until then, you are as silly as those folks who tell Steve how to run his company.

+1 Insightful

We see an inverse proportion between the certainty presented in posts on how other people should run their companies and the size of the company owned by the poster.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

get to work designing, developing something NEW & Exciting, that works, is fun to use, doesn't crash, is fun to use, makes you cool, looks great, is priced right for what you get, is fun to use and have, and you to can be an Apple.

How about a well-priced machine that works great and runs 99% of all the software out there?

The other crtiteria you use, NEW, Exciting, fun, cool, looks, fun, are unimportant to the utility of the item, and therefore are unimportant to the vast majority of computer buyers.

That is a big reason why Apple sells so few computers.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Where in any market they've ever attempted to engage in has Apple garnered a majority market share?.

Personal Media Players.

Certainly not computers or Smartphones!
  • Reply 66 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Quote:

Clean it out. Shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes.

Which crappy AV software do you use? You likely want to switch to something that works better.

And stop downloading crap from dodgy sources.

Most people never get a virus from year to year. It is a matter of common sense and hygiene.

The ten minutes you refer to is understated a wee bit, it's like ten minutes every day of the damn PC's life or perhaps more. The hours wasted waiting for updates, the slowness of mail as everything is parsed ... in the life time of a PC with the " common sense and hygiene" you suggest you could have written War and Peace on a Mac!

BTW, you are not Blackintosh are you?
  • Reply 67 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The ten minutes you refer to is understated a wee bit, it's like ten minutes every day of the damn PC's life or perhaps more.

Again, what crappy brand of AV software do you use? I just set it and forget it, and I haven't had a virus in years.

Ten minutes a day? WTF?

Try AVG. Its free and it works for me.

Of course, I also exercise common sense, which goes far in avoiding infections. For example, I am careful about who's mouth I put my tongue into, and I am careful to only install software that either has been obtained from vetted sources or which has been scanned first.

This stuff is not so hard.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    I remember Acer well from the 80's. At my first job they got an Acer PC clone and it was junk then and their products are junk now. They just bought up a bunch of brands that once had some respect int he PC market and people don't realize that they were bought up. Gateway and Packard Bell. eMachines is theirs also, the bargain basement of PCs. I have a Gateway that I got cheep refurbed and it is OK (underpowered), but I run it as a Hackintoch. Otherwise they make crap under so many labels no one knows who makes it.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    Quote:

Will that strategy work in the long term, with a generation who used computers before they could read? Do they want simplicity or capability?

i don't know about you, but if i'm going to buy a piece of tech, it has to have BOTH.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Agree. The transition to a pervasive IP TV will be a protracted process because the cable co's will not lay down and die without a fight. They are becoming redundant middlemen and will eventually whither.

technically, iTunes and appleTV rental models are redundant to the cable companies... still, i would rather have a-la carte options from my middleman, be it U-verse, FiOS, iTunes, or ComCrap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

They will want simplicity and capability.

absolutely, and i think this is where Apple TV will win out IF the content providers can get out from under the cable companies... which may happen by 2090.

Quote:

C'mon. That is just plain silly in the era of Steve crowing about HTML 5..

SJ and Apple praise HTML 5 to anyone who will attend conferences or read open letters on websites [like readers of blogs such as this]... BUT you won't see a 30 second TV spot for HTML 5, the big bucks are spent on marketing simplicity to the technophobes. that's where the $$$ is.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If Apples are mutant viruses, then Acers are the common strain readily blocked through vaccination.

rock and roll will never die
  • Reply 71 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Again, what crappy brand of AV software do you use? I just set it and forget it, and I haven't had a virus in years.

Ten minutes a day? WTF?

Try AVG. Its free and it works for me.

Of course, I also exercise common sense, which goes far in avoiding infections. For example, I am careful about who's mouth I put my tongue into, and I am careful to only install software that either has been obtained from vetted sources or which has been scanned first.

This stuff is not so hard.

AVG sometimes messes up too. I've seen AVG regularly take 12+ hours to do a scan on my parent's computer. I've since fixed that, but it shouldn't have been necessary. A year or so ago, version 8.0 was a mess, I was about to switch everything to something else, though I only switched a couple computers away.

It's not just about being careful about what software to install, or worrying about its provenance. A lot of times malware comes from reputable sites that have been hacked, they exploit vulnerabilities in the browser to prevent the user from knowing about what it's doing.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

Yeah. Coming from a guy with a PhD in microbiology, the field says viruses....fungus on the other hand becomes fungi.

That's because 'funguses' doesn't work with the joke.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

AVG sometimes messes up too. I've seen AVG regularly take 12+ hours to do a scan on my parent's computer. I've since fixed that, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

It's not just about being careful about what software to install, or worrying about its provenance. A lot of times malware comes from reputable sites that have been hacked, they exploit vulnerabilities in the browser to prevent the user from knowing about what it's doing.

Drive by downloads are a major source of malware/spyware/adware infection on Windows these days, and antivirus won't in most cases protect.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:

Where in any market they've ever attempted to engage in has Apple garnered a majority market share?

I guess "the Acer guy" just doesn't have the insight you do. The readers here look forward to learning of these majority markets Apple dominates.

Easy question, already answered by someone else. But it was an irrelevant question. If Mr. Acer is going to tell us that his business is a working definition of "open" then perhaps he should explain how doing nothing more than being one of the world's largest Windows resellers conforms to that definition. Or maybe you could give it a try. Good luck.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Quote:

+1 Insightful

I love it when the trolls find each other insightful.
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A lot of times malware comes from reputable sites that have been hacked, they exploit vulnerabilities in the browser to prevent the user from knowing about what it's doing.

Can you give 3 examples?

I am unaware of a single instance of malware coming from reputable sites where the user is unable to detect anything.

If it happens a lot of times, 3 good examples should be easy.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Drive by downloads are a major source of malware/spyware/adware infection on Windows these days, and antivirus won't in most cases protect.

Can you give 3 good examples of this phenomenon?
  • Reply 78 of 89
    Quote:

Can you give 3 good examples of this phenomenon?

Can you give 3 good examples of intelligent posts you've made? Hint: that wasn't one.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Can you give 3 examples?

I am unaware of a single instance of malware coming from reputable sites where the user is unable to detect anything.

If it happens a lot of times, 3 good examples should be easy.

Bank of America's web site was hacked for a few days. DSLR news shooter and the Celestial Waste of Bandwidth was hacked too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...-to-infect-PCs

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security...cked-39642693/

The last article was example of a propaganda hack though, the DNS for several sites was hijacked for political aims, but if their aim was profit, then it wouldn't have been any harder to do.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:

Very interesting quote. Apple does indeed seem to be wooing unsophisticated technophobes with their newest products.

Will that strategy work in the long term, with a generation who used computers before they could read? Do they want simplicity or capability?

Note to Paul Otellini.

There are a lot of Moms in the world and they're the ones that generally control the purse sting of the household.