Nielsen: Android overtakes Apple's iOS in latest US smartphone sales

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New sales data from Nielsen shows that Google's Android mobile operating system was the top-selling platform in recent months, ahead of Apple's iOS, which powers the iPhone.

The data, released on Monday, covers a six-month period of U.S. that went through August. The figures include one full month of iPhone 4 sales, as the device went on sale in late June.

Nielsen's survey found that for the first full month of iPhone 4 sales, Android devices represented 28 percent of new smartphone purchases, while Apple's handset took 26 percent. The gap widened in August, when Android was 32 percent of all smartphone sales, compared to Apple's 25 percent.

Since the company said the results only included one full month of iPhone 4 sales, presumably the poll did not cover the entirety of August.

Regardless, the figures show that Android devices have collectively outsold the iPhone since April of 2010, and continued their climb even after Apple's latest smartphone launched in the summer.

Looking beyond new purchases, Apple still maintains a large lead in overall mobile operating system share. Nielsen's figures show that iOS is represented on 28 percent of smartphone owners polled.

Apple remains behind the leader, Research in Motion's BlackBerry, which had a 31 percent share in August. But the gap is narrowing from the start of the year, when RIM carried 36 percent.

BlackBerry sales were also most affected by the launch of the iPhone 4. Sales of BlackBerry phones declined significantly in July, the first full month of iPhone 4 sales.

Android sales have been on a steady rise, however, growing from just 8 percent in January to a 19 percent smartphone share in August.

Of course, in the U.S. the iPhone remains available on only one carrier -- AT&T. In addition to being available on multiple hardware configurations, Google's mobile operating system is also available on all four major domestic carriers.

Polling companies have been saying for months that the total sum of Android phones has been outselling the iPhone in the U.S. Still, no single Android phone has compared to Apple's iPhone -- the iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million units in just its first three days of availability.

In a keynote presentation in early September, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs made a thinly veiled attack against Android, noting that Apple is activating over 230,000 iOS devices per day, and has shipped more than 120 million iOS devices since the first iPhone launched in 2007.

"We think that some of our friends are counting upgrades in their numbers," Jobs said. "If we counted upgrades in our numbers, they'd be way higher than 230,000."

Google fired back with an official statement, suggesting that Jobs' comments were inaccurate. "The Android numbers do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market, since we only include devices that have Google services," the company said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 188
    A phone on all carriers, buy one get one free deals...it better have a bigger market share than the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 188
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Why is this kept getting reported? There has been countless reports already since April that Android devices are outselling the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 188
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Honestly, I prefer Apple in the position of not being a market share leader. It makes them more hungry for one thing, and I like it when people and competitors underestimate them.

Likewise, too many people are drinking the Apple cool-aid just because they see Apple products in the media all the time. If you're in it for the wrong reasons, you should go back to Nokia.
  • Reply 4 of 188
    If Apple does not want the iPhone to get reduced to Mac like market share numbers, they really really need to move to other carriers. Now, its possible they may be okay with that (after all, Apple makes more out of macs in terms of profit than any other PC maker does).

However, I don't think so. Steve Jobs said that the biggest mistake Apple made in its early years was not go for market share when they needed to. I don't think he is going to repeat that mistake. The moment the ATT exclusivity contract runs out (likely within the year), expect the iPhone to be on TMobile at the very least.

I think its likely they will also hit up Sprint, but Verizon might be doubtful. That still gives Apple access to about 55-60% of mobile customers in the US, so hopefully the number should increase.
  • Reply 5 of 188
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    the iPhone needs to get on other carriers or it will get left behind...

i don't even think that would help that much at this point as many people have switched to AT&T already in order to get the iphone.
  • Reply 6 of 188
    Doomed, I tell you, doomed.

This fascination with market share (by definition, a zero-sum game) is just silly. I know it generates page views, but let's be serious.

What counts is selling stuff at a profit.
  • Reply 7 of 188
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

the iPhone needs to get on other carriers or it will get left behind...

i don't even think that would help that much at this point as many people have switched to AT&T already in order to get the iphone.

How do things look on a worldwide basis? IIRC, in most all of the biggest markets, the iPhone is available on multiple carriers.

Is Android outselling iOS in places where both are widely available? That might give insight into whether or not the single-carrier strategy was a blunder in the US. I'm not convinced that it has a major impact on sales, and I'm not convinced that iPhone sales would be greatly higher if it were available on more carriers in the US.
  • Reply 8 of 188
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Larger market share =/= better products.
  • Reply 9 of 188
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Honestly, I prefer Apple in the position of not being a market share leader. It makes them more hungry for one thing, and I like it when people and competitors underestimate them.

Likewise, too many people are drinking the Apple cool-aid just because they see Apple products in the media all the time. If you're in it for the wrong reasons, you should go back to Nokia.

So what is the right reason? I bought it for ease of use, reliable updates, nice cell phone camera/video camera, integration with iTunes. I think In November I will be able to use airplay with the new appletv (not sure I will have one.. Not sure it makes sense for me). Great access to Internet. Unexpected benefit is good to very good battery life.
  • Reply 10 of 188
    How can this be a big deal? The iPhone is a handful of devices. Android is on 16,000 devices. Hell, I think I saw someone running it on an old bag phone from 1983 earlier today. Seriously though, how many devices are in each companies camp. It like comparing the Mini Cooper to ford trucks in general. You can't really brag (android) when it's running on any piece of crap hardware.
  • Reply 11 of 188
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Apple makes more money off the iPhone than all the companies selling Android phones combined. Let HTC and Motorola fight over the scraps.
  • Reply 12 of 188
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Given the quality of the iPhone, this isn't a replay of Apple vs. cheap IBM based PC's everywhere.
  • Reply 13 of 188
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Haha I agree. Too many ex PC users for my liking on the platform already (and on this forum). I wouldn't mind, but their media puppet sheep-like visionless mentality irritates me to no end.

Yeah, yeah, cue the psychological projection...
  • Reply 14 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

How can this be a big deal? The iPhone is a handful of devices. Android is on 16,000 devices. Hell, I think I saw someone running it on an old bag phone from 1983 earlier today. Seriously though, how many devices are in each companies camp. It like comparing the Mini Cooper to ford trucks in general. You can't really brag (android) when it's running on any piece of crap hardware.

Except that you CAN make a comparison when you're talking about the user base available to developers and advertisers.

This is where Apple may not care as much as we hope though:

Google's strategy is to get Android on as many phones with as many users as possible. This allows them to serve up Andoid Apps, Google products and Google ads to make money. Google has no share in the profits on the actual OS or the phones.

Apple makes money on the phones, in addition to the App store, iTunes and eventually iAds. This is why they aren't as concerned with lowering the price and opening the platform up to more carriers. Presumably, the subsidy (and Apple's profits) would go down on a per phone basis if Apple were to open the US market up to additional carriers.

Over time though, more and more of the revenue stream will come after the sale of the initial phone. As this increases, the pressure for Apple to get their phone into more hands will increase. If things continue the way they are going, Google will be pretty far ahead, income wise.

Right now, it isn't a big deal to them. As time goes on, it should become more important. And as Apple tries to get their iPhone into more hands, the user experience should improve as a result. Thus, the success of Android should be good news to iPhone users.
  • Reply 15 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New sales data from Nielsen shows that Google's Android mobile operating system was the top-selling platform in recent months, ahead of Apple's iOS, which powers the iPhone.

The data, released on Monday, covers a six-month period of U.S. that went through the August. The figures include one full month of iPhone 4 sales, as the device went on sale in late June.

Nielsen's survey found that for the first full month of iPhone 4 sales, Android devices represented 28 percent of new smartphone purchases, while Apple's handset took 26 percent. The gap widened in August, when Android was 32 percent of all smartphone sales, compared to Apple's 25 percent.

Since the company said the results only included one full month of iPhone 4 sales, presumably the poll did not cover the entirety of August.

Regardless, the figures show that Android devices have collectively outsold the iPhone since April of 2010, and continued their climb even after Apple's latest smartphone launched in the summer.

Looking beyond new purchases, Apple still maintains a large lead in overall mobile operating system share. Nielsen's figures show that iOS is represented on 28 percent of smartphone owners polled.

Apple remains behind the leader, Research in Motion's BlackBerry, which had a 31 percent share in August. But the gap is narrowing from the start of the year, when RIM carried 36 percent.

BlackBerry sales were also most affected by the launch of the iPhone 4. Sales of BlackBerry phones declined significantly in July, the first full month of iPhone 4 sales.

Android sales have been on a steady rise, however, growing from just 8 percent in January to a 19 percent smartphone share in August.

Of course, in the U.S. the iPhone remains available on only one carrier -- AT&T. In addition to being available on multiple hardware configurations, Google's mobile operating system is also available on all four major domestic carriers.

Polling companies have been saying for months that the total sum of Android phones has been outselling the iPhone in the U.S. Still, no single Android phone has compared to Apple's iPhone -- the iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million units in just its first three days of availability.

In a keynote presentation in early September, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs made a thinly veiled attack against Android, noting that Apple is activating over 230,000 iOS devices per day, and has shipped more than 120 million iOS devices since the first iPhone launched in 2007.

"We think that some of our friends are counting upgrades in their numbers," Jobs said. "If we counted upgrades in our numbers, they'd be way higher than 230,000."

Google fired back with an official statement, suggesting that Jobs' comments were inaccurate. "The android numbers do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market, since we only include devices that have Google services," the company said.

Not sure why this matters - iOS is on one manufacturer's devices, under one network. Android is on multiple devices under multiple networks. Apple doesn't do BOGO. Many Android units are moved as part of a BOGO. It should be surprising that it took Android so LONG to surpass iOS in numbers. Makes you wonder what happens when iOS devices are available on more than just AT&T - then the games really begin.
  • Reply 16 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmini View Post

Not sure why this matters - iOS is on one manufacturer's devices, under one network. Android is on multiple devices under multiple networks. Apple doesn't do BOGO. Many Android units are moved as part of a BOGO. It should be surprising that it took Android so LONG to surpass iOS in numbers. Makes you wonder what happens when iOS devices are available on more than just AT&T - then the games really begin.

It matters because Google now has a larger user base to sell apps to, to serve ads to, and eventually, to sell media to.

If Google surpasses Apple by enough on this point, Android will become the primary platform that mobile developers are catering to, and iOS will fall behind.
  • Reply 17 of 188
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    They should be comparing Apple to other manufacturers NOT the total Android market.

Of course Android is going to be bigger than iOS it is sold by many more manufacturers who get it for FREE!

Not a fair marketplace really.
  • Reply 18 of 188
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

If Apple does not want the iPhone to get reduced to Mac like market share numbers, they really really need to move to other carriers.

However, I don't think so. Steve Jobs said that the biggest mistake Apple made in its early years was not go for market share when they needed to. I don't think he is going to repeat that mistake.

First Bill Gates

Now Eric Schmidt

Steve Snow-Jobs needs to pick better friends I think. \
  • Reply 19 of 188
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

If Apple does not want the iPhone to get reduced to Mac like market share numbers, they really really need to move to other carriers. Now, its possible they may be okay with that (after all, Apple makes more out of macs in terms of profit than any other PC maker does).

However, I don't think so. Steve Jobs said that the biggest mistake Apple made in its early years was not go for market share when they needed to. I don't think he is going to repeat that mistake. The moment the ATT exclusivity contract runs out (likely within the year), expect the iPhone to be on TMobile at the very least.

I think its likely they will also hit up Sprint, but Verizon might be doubtful. That still gives Apple access to about 55-60% of mobile customers in the US, so hopefully the number should increase.

What a bunch of crap. Apple is producing > 3 Million iPhone units, > 3 Million iPad units and soon a crap load of AppleTV units per month that combined will sooner rather than later top 10 Million units per month for the iOS Ecosystem.

With their premiums, Apple will easily surpass $400/share.

Sorry, but Apple is sitting pretty.
  • Reply 20 of 188
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Apple makes more money off the iPhone than all the companies selling Android phones combined. Let HTC and Motorola fight over the scraps.

Exactly. Google adopted the Microsoft model even though it's been proven to have finally surpassed the Law of Diminishing Returns. It's all fracture at this point.