Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 101 of 291
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

iChat to work with Facetime (obvious)

64-bit kernel turned on by default (estimated 5%-10% performance improvement).

ASLR fully realized (for security)

Usage/adoption/improvements to QuickTime X (i.e. Make it usable in Final Cut, etc)

OpenGL 4

OpenCL (actually use it in programs. To my knowledge, no one is really taking advantage of this yet).

One big thing, I'd guess the entire OS and all apps will be compiled with LLVM/CLANG, which likely means smaller, faster code. Possibly they will deliver apps as LLVM "machine" code, meaning the end of fat binaries (aka universal binaries), because in many cases it's faster to translate LLVM code into target code than to link traditional binaries. Add to that the space savings, and the fact that iPhone apps also are going to be LLVM compiled, and we might be looking at truly CPU independent code.

No more need for upgrading any app just because the CPU changed.
  • Reply 102 of 291
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mactommy View Post

I use iDVD every week for the High School Band. I make end of the year video for the band and all the parents want DVD's. Why does Apple think the we don't need DVD's? I use Final Cut Express for my editing so what am I to use? Apple wont sell DVD Studio Pro outside of Final Cut. Video is not all on line yet even though I post lot's of video to youtube. People still like DVD's. Why can't Apple at lease make a DVD Studio Express for those that still need this capability.

Most likely you would still be able to download the last version of iDVD like they did with iMovie. They just won't add anything new to it anymore or promote it in any way.

EDIT: Atanner scooped me.
  • Reply 103 of 291
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

This is by design and convention. There is only 1 menubar, just like in windows and linux there is only 1 taskbar. Those don't change monitors either.

Honestly, imo, the menubar should go all the way across. But I see why they chose not to (working with different sized monitors).

I'd like to see the option to duplicate the menu bar on different monitors. Then it's at the top of whatever screen I drag my monitor into.
  • Reply 104 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Goodlord, I hope so!

Resolution independence may take a little longer as it's clear third party developers are not ready. You can experiment with resolution independence using the developer tools - in the Quartz tool you can turn on screen magnification to simulate it. Turn it on to 2x and then start launching apps - see which ones have a lot of work to do. Note that not all of Apple's apps are ready either.
  • Reply 105 of 291
    I have iworks for ipad and it is awesome. Now if ilife comes to the ipad Game over for the competition.
  • Reply 106 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Have you considered that he may have a Power PC based Mac and therefore not been able to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

No, because he said he "skipped it", implying he had a choice.
  • Reply 107 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope the next version of iLife has a nice EPUB maker. Yes, Pages will export to EPUB but I would like something that will allow for adding sections and chapters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

One big thing, I'd guess the entire OS and all apps will be compiled with LLVM/CLANG, which likely means smaller, faster code. Possibly they will deliver apps as LLVM "machine" code, meaning the end of fat binaries (aka universal binaries), because in many cases it's faster to translate LLVM code into target code than to link traditional binaries. Add to that the space savings, and the fact that iPhone apps also are going to be LLVM compiled, and we might be looking at truly CPU independent code.

No more need for upgrading any app just because the CPU changed.

How much space savings would you imagine for an entire OS? How much work will this be considering Snow Leopard did a huge amount of back-end overhaul without changing the UI much?

I assumed that the UI would be the focus of this update and wondered if cheaper releases focusing on back-end then front-end in a ?tik-tok? fashion might be prudent.
  • Reply 108 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I also think iLife needs an app to make rich media books for iOS, especially the iPad. A book that might have a mix of photos and video on various pages that you swipe through on the iPad.

Mmm... good thought!

I'd go a bit further and include iTunes LPs, iTunes Extras... and possibly iAds.

Then there's that little need for an app that runs on an iPad (and Mac) and creates apps for an iPad. HyperCard?

Since others have mentioned Mac Pro apps -- there are some that cry out for a touch UI.

• Reply 109 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

My parents are still running Leopard on Intel hardware because they refuse to throw away their perfectly good LaserWriter and buy a new printer. Snow Leopard does not speak AppleTalk.

Not trying to be mean here, but old people resist change or moving forward in life. In fact it's really the functional definition of "old" in a nutshell (whatever one's chronological age).
  • Reply 110 of 291
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    THE END OF MAC OSX The last cat before iOS Macs....

DOOOM!
  • Reply 111 of 291
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Just a nitpick, but can you guys please stop saying 'the Far East'? This isn't the 19th century, and these parts aren't being shipped from Cathay by the East India Tea Company, nor were they sold to Apple by strange, veiled eunuchs.

It's still referred to as the "Far East". Are you finding something derogatory in that term? When I hear it, I think about a region in the world, not about eunuchs, etc. I live in Arizona, and you can call it the Southwest even if we don't still have gunslingers and masked bank and/or train robbers riding around on stallions.

Thompson
  • Reply 112 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Dude if you are going to pinch my quote from MacRumors do me the honour of at least acknowledging it.

"Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing. "

I think, to some degree, the timing of these announcements is planned to upstage the competition.

Apple does it!

MSFT does it!

Others do it, too.

The difference is, that apple always seems to have something real in its back pocket -- that it can pull out when it needs an announcement.

Another consideration for the timing is around earnings calls (Boffo, or not so much). Designed to build momentum or distract.

• Reply 113 of 291
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

This is by design and convention. There is only 1 menubar, just like in windows and linux there is only 1 taskbar. Those don't change monitors either.

Honestly, imo, the menubar should go all the way across. But I see why they chose not to (working with different sized monitors).

I don't think that would work well.

I'd rather see the complete menubar on ALL monitors (as an option). The menu would be the same at the top of each monitor, so it wouldn't matter which one you chose - and you'd save going back and forth between monitors. You could turn it of on some monitors-for example if you have a 2x2 arrangement and only want it on the top monitors.
  • Reply 114 of 291
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I bet the wallpaper will be aweseme... maybe a lion in space, a la Lion King...
  • Reply 115 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...err 18th century

There was an old lady, lived over the sea

And she was an Island Queen.

Her daughter lived off in a new country,

With an ocean of water between;

The old lady's pockets were full of gold

But never contented was she,

So she called on her daughter to pay her a tax

Of three pence a pound on her tea.

"Now mother, dear mother," the daughter replied,

"I shan't do the thing you ax.

I'm willing to pay a fair price for the tea,

But never the three penny tax."

"You shall," quoth the mother, and reddened with rage,

"For you're my own daughter, you see,

And sure, 'tis quite proper the daughter should pay

Her mother a tax on her tea."

And so the old lady her servant called up

And packed off a budget of tea;

And eager for three pence a pound, she put

In enough for a large family.

She order'd her servants to bring home the tax,

Declaring her child should obey,

Or old as she was, and almost woman grown,

She'd half whip her life away.

The tea was conveyed to the daughter's door,

All down by the ocean's side;

And the bouncing girl pour'd out every pound

In the dark and boiling tide.

And then she called out to the Island Queen,

"O mother, dear mother," quoth she,

"Your tea you may have when 'tis steep'd enough

But never a tax from me."

Cool poem.

But I don't get the whole "Queen" and "daughter" thing. America can hardly be considered a feminine entity, and at the time of the tax revolt England had a King, not a Queen. Should be "King" and "son" it seems.
  • Reply 116 of 291
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stldoug View Post

Everybody seems to be missing the "swivel" in the logo. Wasn't there a rumor about Mac OS X switching between iOS and Mac OS X via tilting a monitor? Could this be a hint that it might be true?

At least not in the sense of running a new or different OS. Most likely Touch gesture will simply be integrated into the Mac GUI.

I'd be shocked if they went to something so modal. All Apple really needs to do is to make Touch gestures a form of input. Just like a mouse is handled differently in the user code so to could Touch gestures. In any event I don't know where this idea comes from that iOS and OS/X are all that different. Really they aren't and switching OS's is not required to bring Touch capabilities to the Mac.
  • Reply 117 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I use two displays at work stacked vertically. I have an external display (with menu bar) on a box so it sits above the display in my MBP.

I tried putting the display beside my MBP, but the displays are different sizes and resolutions and they just wouldn't line up in a way I found comfortable for working.

This works fine for me with a 20" display but with a 24" display this is stretching things a bit.
  • Reply 118 of 291
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Oh my gosh ... from the picture it looks like we're looking at

OS 10.7 "Aslan"
  • Reply 119 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I also think iLife needs an app to make rich media books for iOS, especially the iPad. A book that might have a mix of photos and video on various pages that you swipe through on the iPad.

There is a beginning of that already:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4168
  • Reply 120 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Have you considered that he may have a Power PC based Mac and therefore not been able to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

He won't be able to go to Lion either then!