Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 121 of 291
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarZen View Post

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I've always thought Lion would be reserved for the last iteration of OSX.

We could be talking about OSXI three years from now.

Mobile computing products are going to become much more powerful over the next couple years and touch screens will likely sneak into the mac lineup. Apple may want to have a single OS rule all their devices (with UI's appropriate for the input method of course). Microsoft seems intent on creating touch UI's for Windows, with Windows 8 promising to be much more tablet friendly. Apple will likely go the same way (but actually do it right).

Note: I'm not saying iOS is coming to the desktop, I'm suggesting they will take the best elements from OSX and iOS and incorporate them into a new OS. "Lion" will probably introduce/test a lot of the features before having a true unified OS in the next update.
  • Reply 122 of 291
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?

There will be a program like iDVD that works with Apple TV rather than DVDs.
  • Reply 123 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

My parents are still running Leopard on Intel hardware because they refuse to throw away their perfectly good LaserWriter and buy a new printer. Snow Leopard does not speak AppleTalk.

I had a LaserWriter (an original White one)... Used it for years -- at one time it was Apple's most powerful computer.

But, I gave up the ghost in 2000-- the toner cartridges (even refills) were too damn expensive.

• Reply 124 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Resolution independence may take a little longer as it's clear third party developers are not ready. You can experiment with resolution independence using the developer tools - in the Quartz tool you can turn on screen magnification to simulate it. Turn it on to 2x and then start launching apps - see which ones have a lot of work to do. Note that not all of Apple's apps are ready either.

True, but they need to present it in some version eventually, so why not Lion? It will be a very "Jobsian" thing to pop this in the sneak preview of the OS and urge all developers to ready their apps. He did it before with other technologies. I bet Lion will not be out in less than 6 - 12 months so devs will have enough time to work it out.

Furthermore, you probably remember the talk about "marble" - the secret UI that Apple is working on, I bet this is it.

• Reply 125 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

OS X Tarzan!

Or OS X Jane
  • Reply 126 of 291
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iDVD will be dropped, iChat will be dropped, new app added to iLife will be called Facetime!

Facetime will get chat support.

Probably won't happen, but would be cool if it did..
  • Reply 127 of 291
    I just bought a Macbook Pro last night... I knew this would happen. :/
  • Reply 128 of 291
    USB 3.0. Drop Firewire.

And can we get better sync services rather than through iTunes?

Z file system?
  • Reply 129 of 291
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balert;

They are not getting replaced, chill.
  • Reply 130 of 291
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum

Cloud TimeMachine service

I wouldn't think so but still, the phrase Back to the Mac seems awfully like Back to the Future (1985), which had a 25th anniversary recently and got some press. Apple's 25th anniversary was last year so unlikely to have any significance but it could be where they picked the phrase up from. It's also when Steve left Apple - Sept 16, 1985.

I reckon new laptops are a go for this. The metal appearance is exactly what the laptop lids are like as the logos get cut out. This could see some results from the liquid metal deal.

Obviously the Lion points to 10.7 and with tradition, the name will be Lion too. I wouldn't expect a 10.7 release soon but you never know. The OS engineers will have been working on iOS so some of those improvements can make it back onto the Mac version.

I'm kind of hoping it's just a preview as Snow Leopard is in no urgent need of an overhaul IMO but if there are any revolutionary features, it would be nice to see what they are.

As long as they don't just drop Quicktime Pro without making sure Quicktime X is done properly.
  • Reply 131 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stldoug View Post

Everybody seems to be missing the "swivel" in the logo. Wasn't there a rumor about Mac OS X switching between iOS and Mac OS X via tilting a monitor? Could this be a hint that it might be true?

Good catch... and the background is clearly a Mac lid.
  • Reply 132 of 291
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    With the development of the iOS, iPad and iPhone I think there has been a sound redefinition of what an update is. I think in a way it's been more feature centric. What you can do with it. How you perceive it. What it feels like. I like that.

With macs its's been "more cpu, more memory, more robust OS" and basically that's been it.
  • Reply 133 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iDVD will be dropped, iChat will be dropped, new app added to iLife will be called Facetime!

Facetime will get chat support.

Probably won't happen, but would be cool if it did..

I think iDVD being dropped and replaced with another app or two is pretty certain. I’d expect iDVD to put on their servers somewhere for downloading like they did with the older version of iMovie.

I’m not sure about iChat being dropped from Mac OS X 10.7 but it does make sense to add a chat program with FaceTime capabilities to iLife 11 so they can get it out to people ASAP without needing to wait a year or more before they tie their iDevices to their Macs. I doubt they’d call it FaceTime since that is what they are calling the open protocol suite standard they said they’d be submitting.

If they are using in-house development to make HTML/CSS/JS-based iAds it’s possible they were able to package this into a proper version of iWeb. if they can, this could be a forerunner for iAds on webpages.

On Mac OS X, I wonder how a different file system would benefit the future of solid-state drives.
  • Reply 134 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They are not getting replaced, chill.

I wasn't thinking that, I'm just upset that they are getting updated/ upgraded so soon after I bought one. The same thing happened when I bought my iMac G5; the Intel iMacs were released a week later. Such is my luck.
  • Reply 135 of 291
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

One big thing, I'd guess the entire OS and all apps will be compiled with LLVM/CLANG, which likely means smaller, faster code.

Well sometimes it produces smaller and faster code. Actually consider how young CLang is it produces very good code.

Quote:

Possibly they will deliver apps as LLVM "machine" code, meaning the end of fat binaries (aka universal binaries), because in many cases it's faster to translate LLVM code into target code than to link traditional binaries.

Isn't the need for fat binaries pretty much gone? Support for PPC is already gone and 32 bit x86 is dieing real fast.

That is not to dismiss some of the positives that might come from the distribution of LLVM bitcode, i just don't see apple rushing to another CPU architecture.

Quote:

Add to that the space savings, and the fact that iPhone apps also are going to be LLVM compiled, and we might be looking at truly CPU independent code.

No more need for upgrading any app just because the CPU changed.

Where this will be a big advantage is with GPU code. Apparently this is ptetty much what Apple is doing now. It does deal with the rapid change in GPU architecture better. For your x86 code though I see few advantages.

There is the interesting possibility that your apps could get faster over time as LLVM's processors improve in quality. I'd be surprised if it would be a significant gain though. I'd like to be wrong but I suspect that the mainstream app code will continue to be compiled directly to x86 machine code. They will likely be using the LLVM tools for 10.7, I just don't see a jump to bitcode.

Dave
  • Reply 136 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

On the otherhand there is this idea in the back of my head that suggests that the GUI may be ready for a major overhaul. In part that would involve the incorporation of some of Touch, resolution independence and possibly 3D. So who knows, in seven days we will all know.

Ya' think?

What you are doing is stepping back from the feature details and taking a much broader view...

Surely, a Touch UI isn't the answer-- nor is the Mouse/KB legacy UI or a Hybrid. These are just a few of several means to an end-- voice control, remote control, intelligent action recording and anticipation, virtual reality... are others

What would be the objectives?

Here's one: What ever you do on any Apple device, it will have the same consistent UI.

Oh, wow! You got my juices flowing.

• Reply 137 of 291
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Replacement would have happened within the 14 day time frame, you would be able to take it back no questions asked, get one of the new ones.
  • Reply 138 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Cool poem.

But I don't get the whole "Queen" and "daughter" thing. America can hardly be considered a feminine entity, and at the time of the tax revolt England had a King, not a Queen. Should be "King" and "son" it seems.

I think they were trying [to be circumspect!

• Reply 139 of 291
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balert View Post

Learn to read for content and you wouldn't have this problem! Seriosly you post to this forum but yet apparently haven't a clue to Apples cycles.

I don't wish to be mean but that is one of the reasons every Apple fan site has a chart showing common product refresh times or a list of days since the last refresh. Being an informed consummer is in your best interest. RIF.

These sorts of posts just amaze me. It is not like fall refreshes are a secret, well they are but we know they are going to happen. Further you have all of these online sites looking out for you.
  • Reply 140 of 291
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If they can figure out the processor/GPU issue for the MBA, then they need to bring that to the 13" MBP as well.

I have $1199 burning a hole in my pocket for a 13" MPB with an i5 processor...

As far as OSX Lion is concerned, I'd love to see resolution independence finally make it to the big time. (To be fair, I just got around to upgrading the last mini to 10.6 last weekend! )

Remember before you buy to check Apple's refurb section in the on line store. They often have amazing deals, my MBP i7 was only two weeks old, perfect and many hundreds less.