Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 359
    rckrck Posts: 2member
    OK so no optical drive. How do you/I install new programs? I missed the presentation so I guess I have to wait.

Rick
  • Reply 22 of 359
    I guess I'll go wait in line at the Apple store now...

The 11.6" 128GB will be a nice addition for me...exactly what I was hoping for...
  • Reply 23 of 359
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Can the RAM be upgraded? needs 4GB atleast. Willing to pay.

Yes. http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html
  • Reply 24 of 359
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Yeah. Sure.

We first lay our hands on your new MBA, Apple. We will then charge the battery and will drain it. Or we just shut the system down.

Only then we will know how amazingly instant your on is.
  • Reply 25 of 359
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The "SSD" on these things is actually integrated into the motherboard.

So that means in 6-9 months when the new fabs, for the die shrink on flash chips, are in full production, and you get twice the SSD storage for the same price you are paying today, you can't upgrade this machine. It is another case of Apple being more concerned about making something thinner without regard to the practical disadvantages that result.

They look great but I can't see buying one with such limited upgrade options for storage down the road.

-kpluck

Did you upgrade your current notebook's hard drive to a larger capacity?
  • Reply 26 of 359
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's clearly an ultra-portable. A 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo makes an Atom cry out of shame.

The 2GB thing though, that's a pity.

2USB, SD, headphone, mini DP, MagSafe - at least the ports are reasonable this time.

The swap will be fast on ssd, but even so my old Macbook had 2gb and struggled. i can't imagine it would be much better
  • Reply 27 of 359
    Why the ancient processors? Where's the i3 through i7's???????????
  • Reply 28 of 359
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    How does the 320M compare to the Ati X1600 256MB dedicated on the late 2006 MBP's? I have a 2.33Ghz MBP and am thinking of replacing it with the $1299 MBA and then an iMac (next revision). I was just wondering how the video processing will compare as I will want to be able to watch HD movies on my MBA on the go (if possible) / edit photos / some light gaming.
  • Reply 29 of 359
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmm, the Apple home page is currently just black. Fun. Haven't updated the store yet but the new Air product page is up for anyone wondering where the tech specs are coming from.

Specifically says "4GB Maximum" for ram, so upgradable by Apple, at least, even if that means paying their goofy ram prices.

Also comes with a USB system restore stick! The future is now!
  • Reply 30 of 359
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

APPLE MADE A NETBOOK!!!!!

(Underpowered, little memory, low battery life.....)

The new MacBook Airs do not fit the definition.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...g&ved=0CCAQkAE

Unlike some of the idiots posting here.
  • Reply 31 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's clearly an ultra-portable. A 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo makes an Atom cry out of shame.

The 2GB thing though, that's a pity.

2USB, SD, headphone, mini DP, MagSafe - at least the ports are reasonable this time.

well, netbook is ultraportable, too (and screen size is within what netbook has). new macbook air is category in netbook according to definition. it got very lower power chipset. it's definitely apple brand netbook. don't be ridiculous.
  • Reply 32 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

well, macbook air is not my taste, and lack of power I need. so it was a long time ago I've never interested in it. so whatever they announced today, it's not for me. but it looks even thinner than previous model. beautiful. nowadays, what do you with 64, 128GB HDD? no optical drive nothing? totally useless.

by the way, it's very funny that Steve Jobs was never interested in producing netbook kind of thing. now, they made it. why? I think ipad is enough. why did they made 11.6 inch macbook air? why? I don't get it. as you know, the price is still expensive with that spec. I pass it. no interest.

Can we please put this post first in the thread, so anyone else interested of making such a textbook example of a bs post apple keynote post, will see their "views" already expressed?

Btw as I have suggested before there's always macrumors for such type of posting, the good, trusted, garbage bin of posting that are the macrumors forums, may I suggest a link there where you are going to find kindred spirits in trash talking: forums.macrumors.com

Ps. Even by web standards your grammar and syntax are just atrocious. You don't even bother to capitalize letters at the beginnings of sentences. Are you that ignorant or that bored? If there ever was a more fitting example of form fitting content... it reads like a joke actually, maybe it is one, lol.
  • Reply 33 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rck View Post

OK so no optical drive. How do you/I install new programs? I missed the presentation so I guess I have to wait.

Rick

I haven't installed a program on my Macbook Pro using a "disk" in probably over a year. Other than the OS and Apps disk...I'm not even sure I have any...

...I'm sure someone will invent an external optical drive that uses the USB interface
  • Reply 34 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Can the RAM be upgraded? needs 4GB atleast. Willing to pay.

Both MBAs accept 2 or 4G memory.
  • Reply 35 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Undeniable ... freaking beautiful design, technically and aesthetically.

Aggressive pricing but most people are going to opt for more storage and so they probably won't sell many at the low entry point pricing.

Funny part is that I'll probably still opt for a new MacBook Pro on my next laptop, since I want the extra power/options.

if i were to get a mac laptop the 13" air with 4 gig ram and 256g would be the one. very nice.
  • Reply 36 of 359
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:

well, netbook is ultraportable, too (and screen size is within what netbook has). new macbook air is category in netbook according to definition. it got very lower power chipset. it's definitely apple brand netbook. don't be ridiculous.

It’s nothing like a netbook.
  • Reply 37 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emack View Post

Who cares about processors. This thing is the "Sex" and it's "elegant" and "oh so thin". I, like all Apple Fans, can't wait to shell $1000 for this "delicious" laptop with it's Sexy 11.6" screen and 2 WHOLE GIGS of RAM!!!!

Woooo Hoooo This changes everything!!!! Go Steve!!!
  • Reply 38 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emack View Post

I wish you would think before you ask such questions
  • Reply 39 of 359
    Quote:

nowadays, what do you with 64, 128GB HDD? no optical drive nothing? totally useless. .

You obviously have no idea what the intent of this device is. Who uses optical drives? I haven't popped a disc in in years. App Store for downloads. iTunes for movies. They are providing an ecosystem for "most" of us. It just isn't right for you.

Do you still need a floppy drive? Antiquated technology has to get retired at some point. Luckily Apple is there to show us the way.

Have you seen a PC laptop these days? They haven't changed in 10 years. Crappy plastic enclosures, super heavy and normally bad display specs.
  • Reply 40 of 359
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The 11" apparently is missing the SD card slot