First Look: Apple's new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Our egos would clash, lol.

I think they could have done more. They managed to give users a way more simple way to find, buy, install and use apps - while at the same time making how you interact with the whole OS more complex, somehow. Mission Control is a disaster in my opinion. I think they could have spent all that time rethinking the dock, and how Launchpad affects the idea of needing a dock at all. Among other things.

I have to agree. Mission Control looks very poorly conceived and a right awful mess to navigate. Also, did anyone else catch the presenter's trouble with the multi-touch mouse? I think they're going to get a lot of negative feedback on this release.
  • Reply 22 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I got the impression that's all there was. Is there evidence to the contrary?

Yes, Steve said several times that he didn't have the time to get into all the new stuff in Lion, so they just cherry picked these few things.
  • Reply 23 of 167
    I have been using mac since 2004 and this is the first time I am not excited because I like the way my mac is and I am not too keen on iphone and i pad interface. that Mission Control is a total waste. this sounds like windows vista. I like my snow leopard and I will stay here.
  • Reply 24 of 167
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Wow, you predicted that Apple would make Mac OS X look and act like their cash cow. Congrats, you're a genius.

I fail to see how this is a step forward. Working on 1 app at a time makes sense on a mobile platform due to restrictions in screen size, processing power, and memory. But on a desktop, not only CAN I multitask, but I usually NEED to. The reason I have a big screen is so I can have more than one app present at any given time.

Quote:

They are doing full-screen a bit different though. I.E. the UI dramatically changes to suit full-screen, on and app-by-app basis. You can't believe it, and I predicted it.

• Reply 25 of 167
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Apple is only showing features that already exist on the iOS so that the competition won't have time to steal the new ideas that they are going to release in Lion. Also they said that they were going to gradually roll out more features over time. They did the same thing with Leopard.
  • Reply 26 of 167
    A lot can still change and happen from now until Summer next year. We haven't all that Lion has to offer.
  • Reply 27 of 167
    Quote:

If that was it then why would Apple wait until Summer of next year to release it? Just chill man. We'll find out soon enough what more 10.7 has to offer.
  • Reply 28 of 167
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

You can't be serious, can you? If that's all there was, why would it take another 8+months to release?

Don't get me wrong... I'm pretty underwhelmed too, but I know we'll be seeing more as the release date nears.
  • Reply 29 of 167
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member
    Quote:

I don't think I've ever been this underwhelmed with a Mac OS release.

For example, I can't believe they're listing "Full Screen Apps" as a feature.

I've been able to do full screen apps since System 7. It's called the maximize button.

C'mon Apple!

Considering that people have complained about the '+' button being broken for years (hey, I clicked it and the window got smaller!?!?), I thought that one was sort of funny. The full-screen looks nicer than a maximized Windows app, but really - DR GEM had this back in what, 1985? Not sure about the Mac in those days because I couldn't afford it then.

I'm hoping we'll see more of the new look sliders / popup menus / etc. as well - hopefully those become standard widgets for development. (And maybe sending email, map view, etc. like on iOS?). The Aqua scroll bars are a bit dated looking in any case, though for the most part Snow Leopard is perfectly up-to-date anyway.

The App Store is going to make a huge difference for the platform as a whole - when stuff is more discoverable and monetizes, there will be more written, more sales, mo' mo' mo'.
  • Reply 30 of 167
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have to agree. Mission Control looks very poorly conceived and a right awful mess to navigate. Also, did anyone else catch the presenter's trouble with the multi-touch mouse? I think they're going to get a lot of negative feedback on this release.

Yes the mouse thing was awkward. Kind of reminds me of trying to load groceries into your car while the shopping cart keeps trying roll away. The mouse is made to move but those types of gestures need to have something like an actual track pad otherwise, when you make a swipe, you move the mouse instead.
  • Reply 31 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotek2001 View Post

Uh, yes... During the video SJ said it's a shame they didn't have an hour and a half more to show off all the other great things coming in Lion. OK so it's his RDF but that's what he said.

Bear in mind, that this was a sneak peak not a launch.

Exactly. This was not about the OS. This was about:

1) Releasing those super sexy Macbook Airs right before the holiday season.

2) Getting devs on board the Mac App Store gravy train, so they can reap the benefits of all those millions of dollars in gift cards that are gifted during the holiday season, when the Mac App Store releases early January.

The OS will be shown in the January event (or the February event, if the Verizon iPhone is released then).
  • Reply 32 of 167
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

The Aqua scroll bars are a bit dated looking in any case, though for the most part Snow Leopard is perfectly up-to-date anyway.

Actually. The scrollbar seems to be changed in Lion. Look at when they demo Mac App Store. It's like in iOS.
  • Reply 33 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes the mouse thing was awkward. Kind of reminds me of trying to load groceries into your car while the shopping cart keeps trying roll away. The mouse is made to move but those types of gestures need to have something like an actual track pad otherwise, when you make a swipe, you move the mouse instead.

Yeah, I love my Magic Mouse, but the truth is it's basically not possible to do anything besides left-click, right-click and scroll. It does those excellently and is well worth it just for that, but the gestures are awkward at best and mostly just don't work.
  • Reply 34 of 167
    Quote:

... I can't believe they're listing "Full Screen Apps" as a feature.

I've been able to do full screen apps since System 7. It's called the maximize button. ...

OS-X has never had a "maximise" button or any button that acts as a maximise button.

Ireland should have bet money because the zoom button behaviour has been around since before OS-X and not only hasn't changed, but has weathered an almost constant storm of criticism from switchers who think it should behave like a maxmise button.

The fact that they are (apparently) ditching the zoom button is epic actually.
  • Reply 35 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I still think Apple will surprise and we'll see a touchscreen Mac. Jobs didn't outright say there won't be a touchscreen Mac. It's just multi-touch will be used more horizontally using trackpads. Or we'll see a convertible Mac much like the ones seen on the patent application.

Personally, I have zero interest in a touch screen Mac. I think it would be a terrible idea unless the form factor is completely revamped to make more ergonomic sense.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    I'm pleased about the idea of an app store, and it will certainly make me spend more money on software.

I have to admit I'm a total impulse shopper and if I can't have it that minute, I generally forget about it. For example, if I'm reading macworld.com and I see a review of something I like the sound of, by the time I'm in the Apple shop I'll have forgotten about it. If I could buy it straight away, I probably would.

Developers are certainly going to benefit from me using the app store, albeit in a small way!
  • Reply 37 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

They are doing full-screen a bit different though. I.E. the UI dramatically changes to suit full-screen, on and app-by-app basis. You can't believe it, and I predicted it.

Interesting. When did you predict this?
  • Reply 38 of 167
    Quote:

Same difference. Don't be a douche.

No it's not the same difference at all. Try again. Sorry.
  • Reply 39 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm pleased about the idea of an app store, and it will certainly make me spend more money on software.

I have to admit I'm a total impulse shopper and if I can't have it that minute, I generally forget about it. For example, if I'm reading macworld.com and I see a review of something I like the sound of, by the time I'm in the Apple shop I'll have forgotten about it. If I could buy it straight away, I probably would.

Developers are certainly going to benefit from me using the app store, albeit in a small way!

I agree about the app store for the Mac being a great idea. I just don't like the UI alterations to hobble the Mac with a more iOS looking interface. Makes no sense for professionals and experienced Mac users, but it will make the noobs more comfortable. Getting a bad feeling with this looming update.
  • Reply 40 of 167
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    Mac/iPad convergence: I'm hoping the iPad is a prototype of Apple's future MacBookPro. Slim form, virtual keyboard, portrait or landscape view orientation, multi-touch. Imagine an MBP15/17 with all the necessary ports on the side but with no lid or physical keyboard. Everything the iPad and the Macbook are now - all in one device.

Evolving a physical product line (and their respective OS) across various form-factors is what Apple does so well, so why not: iphone - iTouch - iPad - iMacBookPro?

PS: A note on conventional laptop/desktop touch-screens. HP tried touch access on vertical desktop screens in the '80s and it resulted in "Gorilla arm" - after a day of interacting with apps by reaching out & pointing at the screen, your biceps were the size of your thighs.