RIM's PlayBook will take on Apple's iPad with a price under $500

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

... Also, when did Apple fanatics start championing screen size since last i heard most were crying about the paltry 3.5 on the iPhone

youDoFail.

First, this sentence doesn't even make sense.

Secondly, what does the screen size of a phone have to do with the screen size of a tablet that employs an entirely different UI?

Lastly, l don't know of anyone "crying" about the screen size of the iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

this is hilarious..

It sure is!!

Quote:

guaranteed if the iPad was a 7-in device....

People like you would be posting it was the perfect size!!

Quote:

Jobs knows that this is DOA.

And if "Jobs Knows" .. You know it's true!!!!

Quote:

This is guy that did mainstream the mouse, the trackball, and is now ushering in the era of the multitouch portable computer.

Are you in line to kiss his ass?

Quote:

when Jobs says

Yeah Fanboy, When "Jobs says"!!!!

Quote:

a 7-in tablet is DOA, I would not bet against him.

Because you're incapable of thinking for yourself!

Quote:

What other company has even put in a fraction of the time developing and researching what size is a ideal form factor for a tablet? its purely reactionary..

And you know this because?? Oh that's right , "Jobs Says"!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice life there fanboy.. Lunch time.. Better go check on what "Jobs says" you should eat!
  • Reply 23 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

I swear, this is a "business" tablet, but their commercial is directed at the consumer. They don't seem to know who they want to target.

Notice how they show everything displayed on something large in the commercial.... not on the device itself. DOA!!

You got it right. They're not even smart enough to figure out that a device named PLAYbook will hardly be considered appropriate by IT departments. What a fail.
  • Reply 24 of 132
    Has anybody seen one in the wild yet?

Also after playing with a Galaxy Tab at the weekend i don't hold a great deal of hope for that either at £499 when an iPad costs £429. It was nicely put together but too many buttons on the hardware and over engineered IMHO. Hardly a crowd around it, unlike the iPad section.

The cameras a welcome addition but i can't see the logic in the phone. I couldn't see myself holding that to my ear.

Perhaps Del Boy but certainly not i.

So a bit too big for a phone and too small to enjoy the iPad like experience. An inbetweeny.

Apple please don't go 7-inch.
  • Reply 25 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why are all these RIM videos of rendered images being manipulated, where are the actual devices running the OS?

1. Here is a video of the playbook actually running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7hoAzojQh0

2. With the same resolution as the IPAD, you have a better looking Playbook screen since it will be more pixel dense. And if you say it's not, your full of crap since it's the same premise for the Iphone 4 Retina display.

3. The IPad is to big and clumsy in my opinion (Yes I OWN a non 3g Ipad). Not pocketable, and the 4:3 ratio screen, I mean c'mon, really.

4. As for developing for the playbook, I develop with Adobe Air, and I've already started making apps and it was a breeze. And with the "Get a Free Playbook with a approved App before launch" I'm sure plenty of people will jump on it.

5. I need enterprise level security for my medical apps. And out of box Blackberry delivers.

6. If you watched the live video I posted of the device running, you will actually see it playing the HD video while running in multitask mode.

7. USB, and HDMI ports, and dual HD Cams, oh thats right, not on the Ipad.

8. Playbook has EXPANDABLE MEMORY which is my #1 complaint about the ipad.

You Fanboys best get your heads out your nether regions and recognize a credible threat.
  • Reply 26 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryszard View Post

You got it right. They're not even smart enough to figure out that a device named PLAYbook will hardly be considered appropriate by IT departments. What a fail.

Thats the silliest thing I've read yet. An Ipad is any better?
  • Reply 27 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

since screen area isn't everything and some people value other characteristics more, inclusive the simple price.

Screen Size isn't everything? Anyone who ever used a tablet could tell you that there is definitely a threshold point for usability, and 7" is just too small for a tablet. Besides, my comment was about competitive pricing. There is a huge cost difference between a 7" and 9.7" screen of similar performance. Since screen is the biggest single cost element in a tablet, that's why claiming that the PlayBook is competitively priced to the iPad is nonsense. It has nothing to do with brand loyalties.

BTW, when you mention those "other values" that the PlayBook may have (remember, right now it's not much more than vaporware), are you referring to the 40,000+ apps specifically designed for this screen format that the iPad has and the PlayBook will NOT have?
  • Reply 28 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryszard View Post

Screen Size isn't everything? Anyone who ever used a tablet could tell you that there is definitely a threshold point for usability, and 7" is just too small for a tablet. Besides, my comment was about competitive pricing. There is a huge cost difference between a 7" and 9.7" screen of similar performance. Since screen is the biggest single cost element in a tablet, that's why claiming that the PlayBook is competitively priced to the iPad is nonsense. It has nothing to do with brand loyalties.

BTW, when you mention those "other values" that the PlayBook may have (remember, right now it's not much more than vaporware), are you referring to the 40,000+ apps specifically designed for this screen format that the iPad has and the PlayBook will NOT have?

Similar performance is yet to be seen. As my Ipad cannot multitask like the Playbook can. See video I posted above. And I disagree about screen size usability whole heartedly, since the resolution is the same. I will agree that cost may be less, but I'm not sure.
  • Reply 29 of 132
    Based on the Gizmodo review of the Samsung Galaxy Tab (spoiler: it sucks),

http://gizmodo.com/5686161/samsung-g...le-train-wreck

where many of the negatives are directly related to screen size, I think it's a good possibility that all of these 7" tablets, including RIM's, will fail. I know some people can't stand it when Steve Jobs is right, but his comments on 7" screens seem to be pretty much spot on in this case.
  • Reply 30 of 132
    Geez, folks lighten up. The Apple bashers are sure out in force today. Until we actually see one and how it's touch screen works (or doesn't) it's a little premature to say it's an iPad killer or that it's DOA. Gut feeling is that it won't be much competition, but I say just let it play out. And if it pushes Apple to continue to stay 3 or 4 steps ahead, that's a good thing.
  • Reply 31 of 132
    [QUOTE=NoodlesNoodlemann;1749730]Geez, folks lighten up. The Apple bashers are sure out in force today. Until we actually see one and how it's touch screen works (or doesn't) it's a little premature to say it's an iPad killer or that it's DOA. Gut feeling is that it won't be much competition, but I say just let it play out. And if it pushes Apple to continue to stay 3 or 4 steps ahead, that's a good thing.[/QUOTE}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7hoAzojQh0 Video of the device in ACTION!
  • Reply 32 of 132
    How much will the ecosystem cost?

I'll want more than 34 apps, 27 of which will probably be Solitaire.
  • Reply 33 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Another company copying Apple products...hope they flop!!

Wouldn't that be great! Let us all hope that RIM become a miserable wretch, a mere shadow of its former self!

Then we'd all be better off! We'd all then be in a position to congratulate ourselves for choosing a different product. After all, you ARE what you BUY.

I hope that every product by every other company flops if it in any manner resembles anything made by Apple.

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 34 of 132
    [QUOTE=Kuttysark;1749731]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Geez, folks lighten up. The Apple bashers are sure out in force today. Until we actually see one and how it's touch screen works (or doesn't) it's a little premature to say it's an iPad killer or that it's DOA. Gut feeling is that it won't be much competition, but I say just let it play out. And if it pushes Apple to continue to stay 3 or 4 steps ahead, that's a good thing.[/QUOTE}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7hoAzojQh0 Video of the device in ACTION!

Video and your recommendations aside, I think I will just wait and see what the market says. That will be the only true test of it's success or lack thereof. I really don't care one way or another. Competition is always good. But I've seen many videos of products that are yet to be introduced and they don't mean squat unless people buy the product, do they?
  • Reply 35 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hauerg View Post

(I never understood why RIM called this tablet for corporate users "Playbook.)

Playbook does not refer to a leisure item, but a coaches Playbook, with all of their plays and strategy. This was the clear use in the keynote address, and all of the other meanings were generated by the press looking knock the product.
  • Reply 36 of 132
    I think I'll check one out before I pass judgment on it.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Cortex A9? HDMI out? 2 HD cameras? There is more to it than screen size.

Apple will release a new iPad in January with all of this... and for the same price.

Also, when did Apple fanatics start championing screen size since last i heard most were crying about the paltry 3.5 on the iPhone

It's a different device. There is a sweet spot for the size of a phone, just as there is a sweet spot for the size of a tablet.
  • Reply 38 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Another company copying Apple products...hope they flop!!

And apple doesn't copy other products? You don't think the ipod or the iphone are copies of other products?
  • Reply 39 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I think I'll check one out before I pass judgment on it.

You've just rendered AI forums useless!
  • Reply 40 of 132
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Geez, folks lighten up. The Apple bashers are sure out in force today.

That's what happens when evil parents lock out Engadget in parental controls...

But as long as they do not get any better than praising products nobody can buy and nobody has used... WTF?