Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 141 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You just implied ALAC isn?t a true losssless codec.

You compared ALAC as bein as inferior in quality as the lossy MP3 codec.

You ignored any and all possible reasons legal reasons why Apple can?t simply use a lossless codec.

You ignored the quality of the original content to focus on certain lossless codecs, while pooh-poohng other lossless and lossy codecs (i.e.: Take 64kbps MP3, convert to FLAC, yet you still have inferior sound, thus the original content it was ripped from is important. Note: CD is not superior audio quality).

You also just made my ignore list. Welcome back Teckdud!

Now that I'm a PC, I can finally read this screen. I still have iTunes, and it seems to work just as well on a PC. The quality of sound from the iTunes Store is awful. On the other hand, many of the 64kbps AAC HE stations in iTunes Radio are fine. It isn't just lossy versus lossless. You can't compress (remove similar sounds) from music, without it taking a hit. A bigger problem, and I won't fault the iTunes Store without proof, is "brick-walling." Go ahead and Wiki it. I don't believe anyone who sells music on the Internet will ever use anything greater than 320kbps. And that is hard to find.

I have to agree, CD does not automatically mean quality. Brick-walling can ruin anything. I would like to see an iTunes Radio feature similar to what I now get from Rhapsody. And yes, I expect none of you to know what this PC is talking about. The Rhapsody App is not available on a Mac. It is similar to Slacker or Pandora, or even Last FM. It is radio. You can listen, but you can't touch, and it of course is free.

Oh, one more thing ... OGG baby OGG!
  • Reply 142 of 261
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

This international clock choice could maybe hints for international expansion of the music and/or movie store? The announcement is made at 07.00 a.m. Cupertino time, quite unusual (usually it is 09 or 10 am). How much I wish the music and movie store could finally come here to the Czech Republic!

Hang on, did I just ask Apple to become a truly global monster?

I can't believe they haven't pushed iTunes Stores out to cover all 70 iOS App Stores!

McD
  • Reply 143 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I still don't see how iTunes finally getting the Beatles library would be an event "that you'll never forget". I would think it a bit presumptuous to classify that event as unforgettable. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beatles as much as the next person, but not so much that I'd never forget the day their music became available on the iTunes store.

I think Beetles angle its pretty strong. Paul M. Sings a song called "Just Another Day". In Help album cover he's pointing at 3:00 London time. Similar to the London time in this tease. All the other times are backed out to show the release time. Having New York mades sense because of John L. Beetles were huge in Tokyo. The chances of this not being beetle release is getting remote IMHO.
  • Reply 144 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Why not just open an account on the US store ? It's pretty straightforward to do wherever you live, and Apple obviously aren't too concerned about people doing it.

Because it's simply wrong for me to have to lie about myself in order to be "eligible" to buy from iTunes Store. (Yes, I know it's more about record companies having still the Cold War map of Europe for music licensing.)
  • Reply 145 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I gave up on any of these discussion after seeing the graphs of my actual hearing frequency range. It's pretty depressing passed 40 for most humans. Now I say, I like the 'look' of my very high end speakers and expensive audio gear

You're exactly right.

Most people -- me included (well past 40!), who used to think of himself as an 'audiophile' -- can't tell the difference much between 'lossless' and a 256 kbps AAC file.

Ears change. Listening adjusts. We move on.....
  • Reply 146 of 261
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

[URL="

I think maybe people are underestimating the continued appeal of the Beatles. I work in a high school and the kids know and love the entire catalog.

That really surprises me. I'm from Missouri, so instead of believing you, I'm going to have to go out and ask a few teenagers myself. A couple hundred should get me a decent sampling...

... then again, who has the time? Guess I'll take your word for it.

Thompson
  • Reply 147 of 261
    That would be a huge iTunes announcement.
  • Reply 148 of 261
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

That really surprises me. I'm from Missouri, so instead of believing you, I'm going to have to go out and ask a few teenagers myself. A couple hundred should get me a decent sampling...

... then again, who has the time? Guess I'll take your word for it.

Thompson

It's true of the kids at the high school in San Francisco, and it's true of my nieces and nephews in Huntsville, AL. Admittedly a small sampling, but very broad.
  • Reply 149 of 261
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My point exactly as the link showed. Thanks for repeating it though.

Ha...

I followed the link but scanned it so quickly that the Grammar section just went right by without my notice.

Well, that's OK... I've been redundant before, and I'll be redundant again. Again.

Thompson
  • Reply 150 of 261
    Shocking mind-blowing announcment will be:

All iTunes customers will receive a complimentary Apple Branded one time release teddy bear.

That is all.
  • Reply 151 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

If this is the "Cloud" that is coming....how much will it cost for people that have sizeable content?

That's what I have wondered about every since it started being discussed. Nothing is free but how can me saving 150 Gigs of my iTunes on Apple's servers be affordable?

I agree. So far I have over 43,000 apple lossless songs.
  • Reply 152 of 261
    "Tomorrow is just another day" is the last line in Gone With the Wind.

Obviously the big announcement tomorrow is that Rhett and Scarlett are getting back together and releasing a new iTunes-exclusive song to commemorate the event.

Boy, won't you guys be disappointed.
  • Reply 153 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I think Beetles angle its pretty strong. Paul M. Sings a song called "Just Another Day". In Help album cover he's pointing at 3:00 London time. Similar to the London time in this tease. All the other times are backed out to show the release time. Having New York mades sense because of John L. Beetles were huge in Tokyo. The chances of this not being beetle release is getting remote IMHO.

It's probably all on one of the album covers already. Somewhere among the flowers that say "Paul" is a hidden word... "iTunes." That, or maybe it's somewhere on the street behind the Volkswagen.
  • Reply 154 of 261
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Interesting. Not an exact match, of course, but..... interesting. I heart insane Apple announcement forensics.

• Reply 155 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Ouch, such egregious grammar!

Can someone puhleeease have a word with Apple's Comms people?!

Either of these would be better:

Tomorrow is just another day...that you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, a day you'll never forget.

Tomorrow is just another day, and you'll never forget it.

I think you are missing the point.

First, English is a rapidly evolving language, a pastiche of many other languages, and mostly a dog's breakfast of random rules and structures.

Secondly, advertisements need to be current and will always be on the bleeding edge of new grammar, new terminology and new ways of speaking as opposed to conforming to what the Oxford English Dictionary said was good a few years ago.

Finally, the main point of using grammatically incorrect language in advertising is to get people to turn their heads, and to talk about the language being used, which is exactly what it has achieved given that we are sitting here having a discussion about the advertisement.
  • Reply 156 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

If this is the "Cloud" that is coming....how much will it cost for people that have sizeable content?

That's what I have wondered about every since it started being discussed. Nothing is free but how can me saving 150 Gigs of my iTunes on Apple's servers be affordable?

I don't think a streaming service would work by saving a personal copy of each of downloaded song by each user. It wouldn't need to. No matter how many songs you have downloaded, you would only be streaming one song at a time (or two or three, I suppose, if it works on multiple simultaneous devices), and Apple knows what songs you have purchased, i.e., have a license to listen to.

Apple does not need to keep a saved copy of every download of Muse's "Uprising" that they have ever sold. Apple only needs to store it in such a way that they can stream it to everyone who has a license to stream that song.

And if this is part of an all-you-can-eat streaming subscription service, it won't even matter what songs you've downloaded in the past. You'll be able to listen to everything that falls within the subscription service license.
  • Reply 157 of 261
    Quote:

I think Beetles angle its pretty strong. Paul M. Sings a song called "Just Another Day". In Help album cover he's pointing at 3:00 London time. Similar to the London time in this tease.

I am the walrus.
  • Reply 158 of 261
    'Just another day' leaves possibility that Item could be beatles related. However moving forward, Live TV, media streaming and cloud computing also could be related to the announcement.

In any event, While the announcement may be significant I don't think it's anything major as Apple would have called a press conference.

Also the possibility of a Facebook tie-in
  • Reply 159 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I am the walrus.

Goob goob gajoob
  • Reply 160 of 261
    Quote:

We've been through this before.