Apple issues iOS 4.2.1 golden master for iPhone, iPad to developers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A thousand years ago the English language consisted of twenty or so words. Mostly single syllable words like king, kill, meat, drink, land etc. With the influence of French brought words like democracy, government, justice, liberty, education, and literature. When these two languages intermingled we ended up with a very free form of expression where nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions were being placed at the beginning, end and middle of sentences with no apparent regard for traditional structure. After a few hundred years of this we came up with the Magna Carta and some excellent lyrics for a rap song.

I love this post.
  • Reply 82 of 105
    From iOS 4.2.1 to french, german, and english. Only in AI.
  • Reply 83 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Great !!

Looking forward to your update.

Maybe we can get this back on Topic instead of the useless ignorant chit chat.

In a few hours usage, no changes visible except possibly a minor performance boost (~5-10%), and there could be a few reasons for that. I believe this update was actually to address issues with some wifi routers and their handling of audio and video, so nothing visible to most users unless they have one of those routers.
  • Reply 84 of 105
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Maybe if they weren't so focused on the Beatles...

Oh ya, forgot about that one already...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

And the Americans would be speaking British English if it weren't for the French.

Hey, the French had to be on the winning side of something.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

Yes indeed.

And the Americans would too be speaking German, if not for Stalin. Just saying.

I credit it to more to Russian winters and stupidity from the German command. Just saying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

In a few hours usage, no changes visible except possibly a minor performance boost (~5-10%), and there could be a few reasons for that. I believe this update was actually to address issues with some wifi routers and their handling of audio and video, so nothing visible to most users unless they have one of those routers.

I don't get why the .1 designation. Since 4.2 was never released why not keep the name?
  • Reply 85 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Always found Apple's products to be quite smashing. Ripping, what? Was pondering this while smoking a fag, and awaiting at the tube. But then I remembered I left my iPad in the boot of my auto; put it there while getting some petrol. Had just enough time to check it before I had to speed off to shag my wife.

Hahahahaha, exactly. As a developer I'll tell you that this is called proper internationalization and localization. It goes much further than just setting a base language. You need to be considerate of a country's culture, slang, etc. So some of you can enjoy British English, others Australian English, and others American English, etc. (But we all know which is the best of course...hehe)
  • Reply 86 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I don't get why the .1 designation. Since 4.2 was never released why not keep the name?

I believe it was posted earlier that a probable explanation is that the documentation for 4.2 had already been completed and the GM was prepared for shipment to the server when this last minute bug was revealed. Adding in the fix to the existing docs would have taken too much time with the release date imminent, so it was quicker to scrap 4.2 and add the changes in the 4.2.1 release. I'm not 100% positive of the validity of this statement, but I believe the poster was knowledgeable on the subject.
  • Reply 87 of 105
    Quote:

A thousand years ago the English language consisted of twenty or so words. Mostly single syllable words like king, kill, meat, drink, land etc. With the influence of French brought words like democracy, government, justice, liberty, education, and literature. When these two languages intermingled we ended up with a very free form of expression where nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions were being placed at the beginning, end and middle of sentences with no apparent regard for traditional structure. After a few hundred years of this we came up with the Magna Carta and some excellent lyrics for a rap song.

Except it was the Americans to introduce the French to the practice of democracy, after revolting against a monarch, then installing another.

The Magna Carta is inflated by the English to pretend it's a precursor to the American Declaration of Independence in regard to establishing individual rights over a monarchy. The truth is that its merely a power sharing agreement between the nobility, and does nothing to establish any practical application of liberty for those without "noble blood".

It's better to think of British English as English v1.0 and y'all haven't upgraded in roughly two hundred years. That's why it's 'computer' not 'computeur'.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    Quote:

Except it was the Americans who introduced the French to the practice of democracy, after revolting against a monarch, only to install another.

The Magna Carta is inflated by the English to pretend it's a precursor to the American Declaration of Independence in regard to establishing individual rights over a monarchy. The truth is that its merely a power sharing agreement between the nobility, and does nothing to establish any practical application of liberty for those without "noble blood".

It's better to think of British English as English v1.0 and y'all haven't upgraded in roughly two hundred years. That's why it's 'computer' not 'computeur'.
  • Reply 89 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Educated guess would be that Apple already started shipping product with 4.2 pre-installed. So now they are forced to use 4.2.1 so that those products can be properly updated once they are in the hands of consumers.
  • Reply 90 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Actually, the main offense is speakers of British English assuming that their dialect is the Mother Tongue and everything else is merely a derivation. If that's the case, then we'd all better apologize to the Germans, since English is derived from their root language, according to linguists.

But perhaps you're the more cunning linguist.

This, in part, is true. I think it started with the Angles from a German district known as Angeln. They settled in what we now refer to as Anglia. The Saxons also settled in England hence Anglo-Saxon.

Of course we've been invaded many times before and after that so we're quite a rag tag mixture of immigrants.

Personally I think our English has changed so much, language always evolves, from my grand parents tongue and tends to be more influenced by our US cousins these days. My children sound like American kids without the obvious differences in dialect.

I've never met an American i couldn't understand nor read anything that appeared somewhat foreign to me. Now that isn't the case on my travels around England. Have you ever spoken to a Geordie or a Brummie in full flow.

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/G...ictionary.html

Modern day Anglo-Saxon at it's best and still spoken today.
  • Reply 91 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Set the language to "British English" (That doesn't even make sense, ITS JUST "ENGLISH" DAMNIT YOU IGNORANT AMERICANS! )

But yeah.. Set the language to "British English".

Sorry mate, there's

American English

British English

Canadian English

Australian English

and so on

BTW even the British don't speak British English. It certainly ain't what I was taught in school.
  • Reply 92 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A lot of the English that is spoken in jolly old England is horribly accented, grammatically incorrect, and often, frustratingly difficult to comprehend.

Only a small piece of the country speaks the Queen's stuff.

Yup, that piece of the country is comprised mostly of immigrants from the ex-colonies! I walked around London and it was mainly Indians, Middle East and Africans from the former Empire that spoke "proper" English. Ludicrous! To think we were skewered so badly in school in Malaysia, Singapore and Australia, only to one day reach the shores of Britain and... not understand WTF they are saying.
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Sorry mate, there's

American English

British English

Canadian English

Australian English

and so on

BTW even the British don't speak British English. It certainly ain't what I was taught in school.

What do they call what the "Royals" speak?

• Reply 94 of 105
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Hahahahaha, exactly. As a developer I'll tell you that this is called proper internationalization and localization. It goes much further than just setting a base language. You need to be considerate of a country's culture, slang, etc. So some of you can enjoy British English, others Australian English, and others American English, etc. (But we all know which is the best of course...hehe)

etc: chinglish, hinglish, singlish... and so on.

(But we all know which is the best of course, for sure, and that one may be any...hehe)
  • Reply 95 of 105
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup, that piece of the country is comprised mostly of immigrants from the ex-colonies! I walked around London and it was mainly Indians, Middle East and Africans from the former Empire that spoke "proper" English. Ludicrous! To think we were skewered so badly in school in Malaysia, Singapore and Australia, only to one day reach the shores of Britain and... not understand WTF they are saying.

gotta [like] this post
  • Reply 96 of 105
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What do they call what the "Royals" speak?

Supposedly, Received Pronunciation, also called the Queen's (or King's) English, Oxford English, or BBC English.

However, I would suggest that the only member that sticks to it is the Queen herself. And that the rest of the family, only in prepared speeches or addresses. Not that they don't speak English 'well', their enunciation, i.e., ability to speak clearly and slowly, is not to the standard of Queen Elizabeth. The Queen, by the way is said to speak six languages fluently, i.e., French, Spanish, Italian, Latin, German and Greek, and even knows some Welsh and Portuguese.

One of the things the Queen does very well is read speeches in other languages. For example she gave a speech on a state visit to Papua Niu Guinea in Pidgin, not unlike many entertainers who produce their music in foreign languages.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

So,

Is the wireless issue on the iPad's FIXED ??

NOPE. My iPad is a perfect example.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

NOPE. My iPad is a perfect example.

Could you elaborate?
  • Reply 99 of 105
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I believe it was posted earlier that a probable explanation is that the documentation for 4.2 had already been completed and the GM was prepared for shipment to the server when this last minute bug was revealed. Adding in the fix to the existing docs would have taken too much time with the release date imminent, so it was quicker to scrap 4.2 and add the changes in the 4.2.1 release. I'm not 100% positive of the validity of this statement, but I believe the poster was knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks, I missed the post about this in the middle of the english lesson.
  • Reply 100 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

This, in part, is true. I think it started with the Angles from a German district known as Angeln. They settled in what we now refer to as Anglia. The Saxons also settled in England hence Anglo-Saxon.

Of course we've been invaded many times before and after that so we're quite a rag tag mixture of immigrants.

Personally I think our English has changed so much, language always evolves, from my grand parents tongue and tends to be more influenced by our US cousins these days. My children sound like American kids without the obvious differences in dialect.

I've never met an American i couldn't understand nor read anything that appeared somewhat foreign to me. Now that isn't the case on my travels around England. Have you ever spoken to a Geordie or a Brummie in full flow.

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/G...ictionary.html

Modern day Anglo-Saxon at it's best and still spoken today.

Having visited all corners of your green and pleasant land, indeed I have heard many of the remarkable variations of dialect that the British have managed to squeeze into such a small space. It's one of the delights of traveling in Britain, for those who appreciate such things. Many Britons seem to be equally amused by Americanisms, often with good humor, other times with heaps of sardonic deprecation.

Speaking of which, I think it's highly amusing how some British actors portray Americans, when called upon to do so on British TV. They seem to think that talking loudly out of the corner of their mouths mostly covers it.