Apple to release iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch today

Comments

• Reply 21 of 217
    Where are my LIVE WIDGETS??? I'm sick and tired of looking at those glossy icons!!!! They don't show me anything useful.

I still can't view important calendar entries on the lock screen! A MUST ON ANY SMART PHONE!!! How bout a calendar widget?

E-mails are not supported on the lock screen as are calls or txts. Why?

Time should be visible on standby mode, aka like in the Nokia N8.

The iPhone is great, but it has some serious shortcomings that sometimes makes me want to throw it out the window. SOMEBODY WITH SOME SERIOUS PULL AT APPLE BETTER TELL JOBS THAT HIS IPHONE IS STILL LACKING!!!
  • Reply 22 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why do freeze-dried apps show up in the multitasking list? It doesn't make sense, and they get in the way.

Because it's not a multitasking list, it's a recently used applications list. Also, the idea is that, other than a small difference in launch time, users shouldn't have to pay attention to or even be aware of the difference between applications running in the RAM and applications with their states saved. It's no accident that there is no visual indication of which apps are running in RAM anywhere in the OS.
  • Reply 23 of 217
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    This is great news. Finally a unified OS for all iOS devices.

I see iOS 6.0 as the unifying OS for iOS and OSX. Lion is the last release of OSX as you cannot top a Lion in the cat world. There's a few more categories of iOS devices to join before that happens though.

ARM has to release their next generation chip designs to manufacturers too (i.e. 64-bit niceness and the next generation of multicore).
  • Reply 24 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other new features that iOS 4.2 brings to the iPad include:the ability to easily find and highlight specific words and phrases on web pages in Safari®;

iOS just keeps getting better and better. I'll bet that Apple's approach is as revolutionary as what they did with cut and paste!
  • Reply 25 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apparently 4.2.1 is announced by Dev Team etc to be jailbreakable. We just have to wait for official 4.2 to come out then give the team several days to refine their jailbreak tools. Absolutely needed for me for full display mirroring.

Jailbreakers are pirates.
  • Reply 26 of 217
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Hey simtub, do you think that now that iOS 4.2 is out, those fools in Mongkok, Wanchai, Golden Centre and Windsor House will finally get a clue and start selling some grey market imports of the Apple TV? I'm getting really tired of waiting.

Actually yea, is Apple TV coming out in HK anytime soon? maybe those grey marketeers can't justify making any profit jacking up 99usd price.
  • Reply 27 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

I'm against jailbreaking, myself, but I disagree with this statement. While it may be true that the majority of jailbreakers do pirate apps and/or services, I do not consider the act of jailbreaking itself to be piracy of any sort. For instance, if I needed, as nvidia2008 does, to mirror my iPad display, I would probably choose to jailbreak, if that feature (that should be included in the OS) were important enough to me.
  • Reply 28 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Actually yea, is Apple TV coming out in HK anytime soon? maybe those grey marketeers can't justify making any profit jacking up 99usd price.

Well, you can buy them online for HK$1300. That's just a little to greedy for my tastes (even though that's less than what the Brits and most other non-Americans pay through official channels). The thing is, if it's ever released here officially, it'll be HK$780.
  • Reply 29 of 217
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

Incorrect, jailbreakers 'enable' pirates.
  • Reply 30 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

Because it's not a multitasking list, it's a recently used applications list. Also, the idea is that, other than a small difference in launch time, users shouldn't have to pay attention to or even be aware of the difference between applications running in the RAM and applications with their states saved. It's no accident that there is no visual indication of which apps are running in RAM anywhere in the OS.

I understand all this, but I'm with ascii, this is a bad design for what it is IMO.

The purpose of the double-click is to expose an "app switcher." As long as most apps don't support multi-tasking (and the vast majority don't even though the functionality has been available to developers for ages), then an app that is completely stopped shouldn't really show up in that list. The operator uses the list to find a recently running application to "switch" to. If the app has to be started all over again like many do, then there is no reason for it to show up in that lis. It's also annoying to go to the list and have it be forty or fifty applications long, when in fact only the first couple can really be "switched to."

I'd like to see it display either only running apps, or failing that, only apps that can be resuscitated when switched to. I have several apps from big name companies that have never been updated to be multi-tasking aware and likely won't ever be at this stage.
  • Reply 31 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Incorrect, jailbreakers 'enable' pirates.

Well if you want to split hairs, this is inaccurate also.

It's not like there are two different communities, one of thieves/pirates and one of jailbreakers and that the thieving types all just go to a jailbreaker to get access. If you jailbreak your phone, you are a jailbreaker, and five minutes later when you download the stolen apps, you are a thief/pirate. These are mostly the same person in all cases.
  • Reply 32 of 217
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

+1

Those fools...

Oh, and the jailbreakers too. No iOS 4.2 for you... you've been a baaaad boy.

those FOOLS!

such a silly stupid comment
  • Reply 33 of 217
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Troll: Yes.
  • Reply 34 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The purpose of the double-click is to expose an "app switcher." As long as most apps don't support multi-tasking (and the vast majority don't even though the functionality has been available to developers for ages), then an app that is completely stopped shouldn't really show up in that list.

I'm no expert on this, however, it was my understanding that only music apps, gps or IM type apps need multitasking yet the others are in a suspended mode where they relaunch exactly as you left off instead of the default start up screen. They aren't multitasking but benefit from the suspended state nevertheless.
  • Reply 35 of 217
    So what kind of new fandangled features can I expect on my iPhone 4?? Seems like this update mostly concerns the iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

those FOOLS!

such a silly stupid comment

It would seem silly and foolish from someone who thinks Android fragmentation is not a problem.
  • Reply 37 of 217
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

I agree there should be no distinction between freeze dried and freshly launched apps. That is why I didn't want them on (what I thought was) the multitasking list. But if that is not the multitasking list, shouldn't there be one? I mean, the fact that apps are doing something in the background *is* something you want to expose to the user.

It would have been nice if first time OS4 booted up it took you through the differences from OS3.
  • Reply 38 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I agree there should be no distinction between freeze dried and freshly launched apps. That is why I didn't want them on (what I thought was) the multitasking list. But if that is not the multitasking list, shouldn't there be one? I mean, the fact that apps are doing something in the background *is* something you want to expose to the user. ...

No, it's not really something that needs to be exposed to the user. As pointed out, the whole point is that the user doesn't need to be aware of what's going on in "the background". It would be way more confusing to most users if some apps showed up in this list and others didn't.
  • Reply 39 of 217
    Quote:

Not all of us are pirates. Grow up.
  • Reply 40 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Trying to update my ipad in HK right now but itunes still says 3.2.2 is the latest version

http://www.apple.com/ios/ 4.2

Does anyone know what time it will be?