Sony adopts, then drops, Cocoa-like GNUStep plans to rival Apple iOS

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 102
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Take an A4 processor. Double the speed, throw in another core. Pair it up with an ATI 5 or 6 series GPU. Take it to full OpenGL. I am deadly sure such a device can easily trounce the PS3 in terms of graphics and playability, or at the very least deliver equivalent ports of whatever triple-A titles come out of PS3/ Xbox360/PC.

The only issue is how to handle gigabytes of storage for the games. That said, running a gaming console off Flash Memory... That would be some superb, superb load times and would allow you to do some very interesting things in managing memory, level design, etc.

Exactly. I believe that while Apple will continue to do very well with Macs, iPhones, and perhaps television, gaming is the only market (perhaps eBook reading) where Apple seem poised to achieve the market dominance they have with portable music players.
  • Reply 102 of 102
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

GNUStep, after all, should be source code compatible with Cocoa.

should be, unfortunately Apple took a separate path with Objective C 2.0. "synthesized accessor methods," for example, aren't in GNUStep gcc AFAIK. Some gcc folks say (from what i've read) that gnustep has such a small userbase it's not worth syncing with Apple's changes.

But it's nice to try out if one wants to get started on ObjC programming for free however.

And Sony must be kidding; just because it's based on Nextstep doesn't mean they can turn it into an iPhone competitor, not anymore that they could use the Boost C++ library and do the same.