Mobiles, iPod touch killing off Nintendo DS, Sony PSP

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Sure seem to be a lot of devices that just coincidentally are reaching some natural point of decline just as iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad sales ramp up.



    This is so full of hyperbole. The iPhone's sales have been 'ramping up' steadily since its release. Claiming they are just starting to "ramp up" is an out-right fabrication, and can only be based on some arbitrary number that can only seem meaningful in hindsight.



    The DS and PSP, on the other hand, are essentially 6 year old platforms. Sales are declining just as they did for other systems long before the iPhone and Touch era. The handheld systems also don't have the benefit of being on a near-automatic 2-year upgrade cycle, such as the iPhone, which also mis-represents sales data comparatively. Many people who bought the original versions of the DS and Lite are still using theirs--I very much doubt that's the case for iPhone v.1 and very soon the 3G.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post


    If the article is correct and people prefer to use their mobile phones for games over any other device, does that mean that the iPhone will eventually kill off the iPod Touch?



    Nope, the iPhone and iPod touch have different demographics.



    iPod touch users are heavily skewed toward a younger audience, the 13-24 age group. iPhone users are the 25-49 age group. As Steve Jobs mentioned once, "the iPod touch is training wheels for the iPhone."



    As long as there are youngsters who can't afford to shell out $80 a month for cellular services, there will be a market for an iPod touch-like device. As we know, the world population is growing, so that market is in expansion.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    What does the Kinect have to do with anything? Is MS going to port it to WP7 somehow?



    Not a roughly drafted reader? Not used to Daniel trash talking everything non-apple and being wrong about it, several times I might add? Contrary to what he thinks?
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post


    Nintendo needs to face the music and port all their propietary games to IOS devices. That would be amazing and I am sure they would make a killing.



    Very astute!



    Just as MS should release Office for the iPad!



    ... make money, learn the ropes -- live to fight another day.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Very astute!



    Just as MS should release Office for the iPad!



    ... make money, learn the ropes -- live to fight another day.



    Yeah, and OSX and iOS should be allowed to be on other OEM computers as well.



    Oh wait...
  • Reply 26 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I would imagine that as the iPhone gets on more carriers here, and in the rest of the world, it will eat into the Touch sales more. A lot of people buy the Touch because they can't get an iPhone on their carrier. Once that's no longer the case....



    The Day Apple release a 64GB iPhone is the day I relinquish my 64GB Touch.



    I guess I'll be holding onto my Touch for quite some time...



    Having said that I'm down to just 1.5GB of free space on my Touch!



    Capacity is my main reason for not getting an iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


    Yeah, and OSX and iOS should be allowed to be on other OEM computers as well.



    Oh wait...



    Why, OS X and iOS sells Apple hardware an an increasing rate -- Apple is in Fat City!.



    The dedicated portable game players are in decline -- they need to do something.



    As to MS Office: Sooner or later MS will need to implement a version of office to run with a non-stylus multitouch interface on a Tablet computer running a Tablet OS.



    MS could get ahead of the curve if it did an iPad version... or just cede that market to Pages, Numbers, Keynote and others.



    Some predict that there will be 50-100 million Tablet devices sold next year -- pretty good market potential.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Why, OS X and iOS sells Apple hardware an an increasing rate -- Apple is in Fat City!.



    The dedicated portable game players are in decline -- they need to do something.



    Exactly, and giving away your only reason for buying Nintendo hardware isn't going to help.



    But as already said, just about everyone bought a DS. It isn't as if they didn't sell millions of them already. And this is a device that looks dated compared to the CPU in the original iphone. We know the 3DS is coming out, so people are going to wait, just as they wait for another iphone.



    Daniel says this about everything, as if Apple will take over the whole world or something. Oh wait, they did with the ipod.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by downdinoiling View Post


    The Day Apple release a 64GB iPhone is the day I relinquish my 64GB Touch.



    I guess I'll be holding onto my Touch for quite some time...



    Having said that I'm down to just 1.5GB of free space on my Touch!



    Capacity is my main reason for not getting an iPhone.



    What do you use that much storage for?



    My iPad Mem Map is a s folows"



    05.2 GB Audio -- 1009 songs

    28.2 GB Video -- 63 Movies (including Home Movies)

    00.9 GB Photos -- 216 Photos

    09.7 GB Apps -- 345 Apps

    00.2 GB Books -- 78 Books

    00.5 GB Other

    14.6 GB Free



    Periodically, I change the mixture of Photos, Audio and video (Library of 10,000 songs, 900 videos, and 12,000 photos).



    .



    .
  • Reply 30 of 92
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    What do you use that much storage for?



    My iPad Mem Map is a s folows"



    05.2 GB Audio -- 1009 songs

    28.2 GB Video -- 63 Movies (including Home Movies)

    00.9 GB Photos -- 216 Photos

    09.7 GB Apps -- 345 Apps

    00.2 GB Books -- 78 Books

    00.5 GB Other

    14.6 GB Free



    Periodically, I change the mixture of Photos, Audio and video (Library of 10,000 songs, 900 videos, and 12,000 photos).



    .



    .



    My older brother is waiting for a 64GB iPhone. I asked him why does he need all that memory for? He responded "I want to carry all of my music on the go." Personally I think 32GB is enough for me.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


    Exactly, and giving away your only reason for buying Nintendo hardware isn't going to help.



    But as already said, just about everyone bought a DS. It isn't as if they didn't sell millions of them already. And this is a device that looks dated compared to the CPU in the original iphone. We know the 3DS is coming out, so people are going to wait, just as they wait for another iphone.



    Daniel says this about everything, as if Apple will take over the whole world or something. Oh wait, they did with the ipod.





    They wouldn't be giving it away -- they'd be selling the games (likely lower price, higher volume, and greater net profit).



    Here's the deal:



    -- You can buy an iPod Touch or a hand-me-down iPhone for the same price as a dedicated mobile game player

    -- There are thousands of games to choose from

    -- You can buy 10-30 good games for the same price as a single mobile player game

    -- You can put these on 5 devices concurrently



    Each year, as I replaced an iPhone, I offered a grandkid either a (then popular) mobile game player and 3 games ($100); or the old iPhone and 30 games (<$60).



    Each of my 3 grandkids opted for the iPhone -- they have hundreds of games and thousands of choices.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    RAGE HD is good example on how gaming on the iPhone will be in the future. Personally, I enjoy gaming with physical buttons. It's just better playing with physical buttons in my opinion. That's where Sony PSP and the Nintendo DS beats the iPod Touch in that area of gaming.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Here's the deal:



    --You can buy an iPod Touch or a hand-me-down iPhone for the same price as a dedicated mobile game player

    -- There are thousands of games to choose from

    -- You can buy 10-30 good games for the same price as a single mobile player game

    -- You can put these on 5 devices concurrently



    Each year, as I replaced an iPhone, I offered a grandkid either a (then popular) mobile game and 3 games ($100) player or the old iPhone and 30 games (<$60).



    Each of my 3 grandkids opted for the iPhone -- they have hundreds of games and thousands of choices.



    But those thousands of games are all shit. This is from someone who was disappointed by the selection when playing around with my Dad's 32GB ipod touch (which I did recommend he get btw).



    Granted, I like it for bejewled, but that's just me. It is quite lame that my other favorite Alchemy wasn't available for it.



    IF and only if Apple decides to allow VLC for the ipod touch, THEN I might consider. I have too much media in other formats. Not ready for an ipad until I consider the competition and what I actually need/want in a mobile device
  • Reply 34 of 92
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


    But those thousands of games are all shit. This is from someone who was disappointed by the selection when playing around with my Dad's 32GB ipod touch (which I did recommend he get btw).



    Granted, I like it for bejewled, but that's just me. It is quite lame that my other favorite Alchemy wasn't available for it.



    IF and only if Apple decides to allow VLC for the ipod touch, THEN I might consider. I have too much media in other formats. Not ready for an ipad until I consider the competition and what I actually need/want in a mobile device



    There's already a VLC media player app in the app store. Search VLC in the APP Store and it should be by Applidium. But it's only for video files only.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post


    There's already a VLC media player app in the app store. Search VLC in the APP Store and it should be by Applidium. But it's only for video files only.



    ipod touch or for ipad? last I heard it was for the ipad only.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    The dedicated portable game players are in decline -- they need to do something.



    Uh, they are. Have you not heard of the 3DS and PSP 2?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    They wouldn't be giving it away -- they'd be selling the games (likely lower price, higher volume, and greater net profit).



    Greater net profit? Unless you know something Nintendo doesn't, this is extremely unlikely.



    Nintendo sells their current games at a much higher price than virtually anything on the app store, and doesn't have to share their profits with anyone but themselves. They also don't worry about competing with $1-$5 apps with can steal both mind share and virtual real estate.



    Nintendo also makes a profit off every hardware unit sold, just as Apple does. The DS and Wii are currently the best selling and second best sellings systems of their respective market ever.



    Yes, Nintendo is in dire need of relegating itself to Apple's buttonless ecosystem.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    What does the Kinect have to do with anything? Is MS going to port it to WP7 somehow?



    The point he was making is that all of these reports are highly flexible, and often wrong. So, Daniel predicted that the Kinect was going to be a complete and utter flop, based on his research. Turns out it sold exceptionally well.



    A second example, a report over at MacRumors, indicated that Apple's share of the mobile advertising market down from 20 some percent (tied with Google) to under 10% because they "miscalculated" the size of the market.



    As a third example, there was a large thread about the differences between Gartner's and IDC's estimates of the mobile market, and Apple's and Android's relative shares of those markets.



    So all of these surveys, etc. need to be taken with a large grain of salt.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


    ipod touch or for ipad? last I heard it was for the ipad only.



    Both.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


    Not a roughly drafted reader? Not used to Daniel trash talking everything non-apple and being wrong about it, several times I might add? ...blah blah...



    He's usually right. Re-read his articles, and maybe you'll get it.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post


    The point he was making is that all of these reports are highly flexible, and often wrong. So, Daniel predicted that the Kinect was going to be a complete and utter flop, based on his research. Turns out it sold exceptionally well.



    A second example, a report over at MacRumors, indicated that Apple's share of the mobile advertising market down from 20 some percent (tied with Google) to under 10% because they "miscalculated" the size of the market.



    As a third example, there was a large thread about the differences between Gartner's and IDC's estimates of the mobile market, and Apple's and Android's relative shares of those markets.



    So all of these surveys, etc. need to be taken with a large grain of salt.



    Let's wait 5 years. By then we'll have enough data to talk about.
Sign In or Register to comment.