Google Android stalls, remains tied with Apple's iOS in ad impressions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After seeing months of growth at a blistering pace, Google Android remained tied with Apple's iOS in November smartphone ad impressions.

Millennial Media on Tuesday released its MobileMix report detailing statistics from November 2010. Both Apple and Google remain tied in terms of operating system mobile ad impressions seen by the advertiser's network, with each platform taking 38 percent of the market.

It's the same situation as in October, when both Android and iOS commanded 37 percent of the smartphones seen by Millennial's mobile ad network. Apple and Google have been crowding out competitors as they take up larger shares of the market.

In November, both iOS and Android ticked up a notch, at the expense of its competitors. Research in Motion's BlackBerry line took 19 percent of the share seen by Millennial, while Microsoft and Nokia each represented just 2 percent.

That Apple and Google remain tied in November is noteworthy, because previous reports showed Android experiencing tremendous growth, suggesting it might far eclipse Apple's iOS. For example, in September Google represented just 29 percent of Millennial's mobile advertising impressions, well behind Apple's 46 percent. And in August, Android was at only 26 percent.

In April, the iPhone represented a commanding 70 percent of Millennial's smartphone traffic. The company became the largest independent mobile advertising network after Google acquired AdMob.

The November report also found that Apple remains the top device manufacturer, representing 25 percent of all the mobile devices tracked by Millennial. The iPhone was the most-used hardware, with 14.28 percent in November, followed in second place by the iPod touch at 8.96 percent. The iPad came in seventh, representing 1.76 percent of devices seen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Both Apple and Google remain tied in terms of operating system mobile ad impressions seen by the advertiser's network, with each platform taking 38 percent of the market.

This part makes the survey useless.

No one knows what percentage of iOS and Android users hit this advertiser's network. If the percentages are significantly different for the two platforms, the data provided has no value to anyone outside of the advertiser.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After seeing months of growth at a blistering pace, Google Android remained tied with Apple's iOS in November smartphone ad impressions.

I was under the impression that people used apps on the iPhone to avoid having to use Apple's web browser. Are they now going back to the web using their iPhones?

And what ab out iAds?
  • Reply 3 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This part makes the survey useless.

No one knows what percentage of iOS and Android users hit this advertiser's network. If the percentages are significantly different for the two platforms, the data provided has no value to anyone outside of the advertiser.

That vantage does have some value, it just doesn't tell anything about growth patterns for either device... or international adoption in many cases.

What continues to blow my mind is the number of "feature phones" (still) out there. Even more, how much advertising those chumps are exposed to for what they are getting.

Could Apple do a cool, transformative feature phone?
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Could Apple do a cool, transformative feature phone?

They could, but they won't. It would be too confusing.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    The slowdown for Android could be temporary as more sales, particularly new Android tablets and increasing developer support push Android forward in coming months, much of Apple’s strength lies in its family of devices that share an operating system. That’s clearly an advantage until Android tablets ramp up and it also makes us wonder why we don’t have a very good Android competitor to the iPod touch. Google hasn’t optimized Android yet for tablets either, which won’t happen until the release of Android, another factor holding back the Android platform.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Why the new strategy of Android-bashing? This is the fourth piece of hack journalism we've seen from this site. Who's running this thing, Rupert Murdoch?

Stop comparing Apple to Android. You're comparing a phone to an operating system. It makes no sense; it's like comparing sales of the PS3 to Grand Theft Auto. One is a great phone, the other is a great operating system. So can we please stop buying into this fictional, media-hyped, Apple-Google war? It's just an excuse to print crud posts like this.

iPhone + Android OS = Match made in heaven!

• Reply 7 of 73
    yes you are right dude.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post

Why the new strategy of Android-bashing? This is the fourth piece of hack journalism we've seen from this site. Who's running this thing, Rupert Murdoch?

Stop comparing Apple to Android. You're comparing a phone to an operating system. It makes no sense; it's like comparing sales of the PS3 to Grand Theft Auto. One is a great phone, the other is a great operating system. So can we please stop buying into this fictional, media-hyped, Apple-Google war? It's just an excuse to print crud posts like this.

You're kidding, right??!!
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

I'm not sure about that. While the iP4 has great hardware, lots of the Andoid phones do too. In fact, some of them exceed the iP4 hardware in important respects. The real advantage of the iP4 is the beautiful screen, but some people want a bigger screen. There are other aspects of certain Android phones that blow away the iPhone.

But the iPhone is easiest for average people to use, and is usable for even the well below-average user. No Google phone can top that.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Quote:

Why the new strategy of Android-bashing? ...

It's fun, sort of like bashing the Yugo used to be.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

I wonder how long he'll last this time? Impressive that he's made it to 100 posts.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    It seems over the last few days a rush of slanted anti-Android article headlines has besieged AppleInsider.

"Google's Android stalled..."

"Android's weak sales.."

"Android Market, still half-baked..."

"Android Galaxy Tab, "disappointing..."

I'm no fandroid, but I do recognize yellow journalism and FUD when I see it.

The fact is Google's Android is rapidly becoming the "Windows" of mobile operating systems going to outstrip iOS in short order. It's been factually shown that men (who are more mechanically and technically minded) prefer Android and women prefer the iPhone. Supposedly that's got some people scared, or trying to run to Apple's aid or getting paid to write slant material.

(Especially that the Nexus S with Android "Gingerbread" just started selling...hmm)

Apple's one trick hardware pony doesn't meet the many hardware needs of 90% of the market. Because Apple chooses not to release their OS separate from hardware for a better user experience, for more money and a limited product line, just like Apple likes it. So what?

Really there is nothing to worry about, this has been all planned in advance with Eric and Steve. Apple gets the 10% luxury market and Google gets everyone else. In fact I propose that Android is purposely allowed to be a little less glamorous than iOS to maintain the distinction between the two mobile operating systems.

What the difference between one app store that has over 200,000 apps and the other one that has over 100,000 apps when both have the mere ten or twenty apps your ever going to use?

It's the whole Mac vs Windows scenario all over again, except Google is Microsoft. Jobs doesn't like Ballmer, Gates retired and someone had to take the "one OS, all hardware" mobile platform and that's that.

Fool us once, we are the fools, fool us twice your the fool.

Note: written from my triple booting MacBook Pro (Linux, OS X, Windows)
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

... The fact is Google's Android is rapidly becoming the "Windows" of mobile operating systems...

Now, that's what I call damning it with faint praise.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:

We won't get fooled again!
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:

The fact is Google's Android is rapidly becoming the "Windows" of mobile operating,,, etc.

Supposedly that's got some people scared, or trying to run to Apple's aid or getting paid to write slant material.

Pretty ironic then, that you posted all of that... after registering within the last week.

Who is running to the aid of whom? Are you getting paid to write slant material?
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Now, that's what I call damning it with faint praise.

And there always be a small percentage of people who think they are more superior than others just because they can shell out a bit more coin for a Apple toy. They are always looking for reasons to distinct their "superior" choice from "everyone else", the writers cater as that's what they get paid for and make a living for.

I like to think myself as being fortunate to be able to afford Apple's products, but I don't act superior, I've have had my hat handed to me by too many billionaires who snub you if you cant' afford to spend a million dollars for your daughters wedding, or another trip around the world with them.

Steve Jobs is perhaps the only billionaire I know who comes home from work to sit in front of his computer.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Quote:

It seems over the last few days a rush of slanted anti-Android article headlines has besieged AppleInsider.

"Google's Android stalled..."

"Android's weak sales.."

"Android Market, still half-baked..."

"Android Galaxy Tab, "disappointing..."

The fact is Google's Android is rapidly becoming the "Windows" of mobile operating systems going to outstrip iOS in short order. It's been factually shown that men (who are more mechanically and technically minded) prefer Android and women prefer the iPhone. Supposedly that's got some people scared, or trying to run to Apple's aid or getting paid to write slant material.

(Especially that the Nexus S with Android "Gingerbread" just started selling...hmm)

Apple's one trick hardware pony doesn't meet the many hardware needs of 90% of the market. Because Apple chooses not to release their OS separate from hardware for a better user experience, for more money and a limited product line, just like Apple likes it. So what?

Really there is nothing to worry about, this has been all planned in advance with Eric and Steve. Apple gets the 10% luxury market and Google gets everyone else. In fact I propose that Android is purposely allowed to be a little less glamorous than iOS to maintain the distinction between the two mobile operating systems.

What the difference between one app store that has over 200,000 apps and the other one that has over 100,000 apps when both have the mere ten or twenty apps your ever going to use?

It's the whole Mac vs Windows scenario all over again, except Google is Microsoft. Jobs doesn't like Ballmer, Gates retired and someone had to take the "one OS, all hardware" mobile platform and that's that.

It sounds like your problem is that you just believe everything you read and reading negative Android articles puts a strain on that cause you *want* to believe it (because you read it), but it bothers you that it doesn't conform to what you already believe. Most everything you say here is just inaccurate regurgitation of recent Apple Insider articles.

Just a few inaccurate points:

- Android is not and will never be "the Windows of mobile" the reasons are many and written about in great detail at least once a week on some tech blog somewhere.

- Women *don't* prefer iPhone over Android (it's equal or within the margin of error) but men do prefer Android by a large margin. Since Android has been almost exclusively marketed to males though, this kind of makes sense.

- An article that's negative (about Android or anything), is not "slanted" necessarily. it could be simply true. "Slanted" means biased, not merely negative.

Please also take an English comprehension course, a writing course, and a minor in proverbs. None of which you seem to be very knowledgeable about or talented with.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    can anyone explain how the distribution of phone types is vastly different from what nielsen here reported in Oct?

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...ttle-heats-up/
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Quote:

... Fool us once, we are the fools, fool us twice your the fool. ...

This is right up there with some of the best George Bush's quotes.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Pretty ironic then, that you posted all of that... after registering within the last week.

Who is running to the aid of whom? Are you getting paid to write slant material?

No, I came here from Google News, which AppleInsider appears quite often as a courtesy for their informative news articles.

Algorithms can be changed of course, if AI is just turning into another crappy slanted FUD/yellow MacDailyNews.

Google is only going to take yellow journalism and FUD about them on their main news site for only so long...it's a quality control issue.