Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 101 of 251
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The bill showed up seconds later. But as I said I was charged full price and never asked if I was upgrading. This needs to be fixed or Apps store needs to warn existing owners they should go to the seller's web site not the Apps store if upgrading. As I said, this was a low cost test on my part and I almost expected this but a sophisticated system like this could easily have an interim step to ask if upgrading etc. you'd think.

I suspect the Mac app store only detects apps purchased from the Mac app store. I mean, I doubt I could purchase software from Amazon, then be able to purchase an upgrade from the Mac app store.
  • Reply 102 of 251
    kavokkavok Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Because iWork '09 IS THE LATEST VERSION... the latest incremental UPDATE to it was January 03 '11, that's where that date comes from, but it's still the '09 app.

They have to add significant (in Apple's opinion) new features before they'll slap a new name on it. (Rumored to be coming soon.)

As of today, there is NO SUCH THING as iWork '11.

Then why isn't the App Store recognizing that I have the latest version installed? The only thing it recognizes apparently is the iLife apps.
  • Reply 103 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you're right. I had the same experience. It makes sense that some of the apps will have to be downloaded from the store for the first time before the system recognises them.

The only thing I'm unhappy about is the prices.

The model for these kind of stores is high volume and low prices, anything else is just highway robbery. Apple has done the right thing and lowered prices dramatically on their high end products and a couple of other companies like Pixelmator have also.

Unfortunately the once fantastic OmniGroup insists on ripping everyone off for their stuff and a lot of other developers have followed suit. There is no way the average person is going to buy an $80.00 item, sight unseen, based on a two paragraph description and a couple of screen shots. No one but a fool would buy "Bejeweled" for 20 bucks, etc. etc. Let's hope the prices even out a bit lower than what we see now.

I agree in part. $200 for a 50Mb application from OmniGroup IS ridiculous, but Bejeweled 3 costs the same $20 it does for Windows
  • Reply 104 of 251
    Quote:

Just curious, why would you want to download what you already have?

Sounds like he's saying he wants the App store to recognize all the apps he's already purchased so that in the event of a hard drive crash or something, he can just re-download them again(for free).
  • Reply 105 of 251
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I suspect the Mac app store only detects apps purchased from the Mac app store. I mean, I doubt I could purchase software from Amazon, then be able to purchase an upgrade from the Mac app store.

You are missing my point.

I am not expecting the Apps store to check anything, I am expecting a 3rd part seller to have the ability to add an interim screen between 'Buy' and 'Download /Bill" that asks "Are you an existing owner ... if so enter your valid serial number" and a discount then be applied as the 3rd Part web site does. It is not rocket science.
  • Reply 106 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Well, I hope Apple didn't made a whole update of their OS just to give us the App Store crap. What are the other changes in Snow Leopard ?

What other changes in Snow Leopard? You do know that's called Mac OS X Lion, don't you?
  • Reply 107 of 251
    Quote:

You are missing my point.

What else is new?
  • Reply 108 of 251
    Quote:

Sounds like he's saying he wants the App store to recognize all the apps he's already purchased so that in the event of a hard drive crash or something, he can just re-download them again(for free).

I'd expect that for Apple products purchased previously from Apple and registered and all apps purchased through the new apps store from now on in the verified Mac that made the purchase. I think we have teething problems for a while though
  • Reply 109 of 251
    Quote:

What else is new?

Sorry didn't mean to sound snippy
  • Reply 110 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

What other changes in Snow Leopard? You do know that's called Mac OS X Lion, don't you?

He's talking about 10.6.6.
  • Reply 111 of 251
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

I've downloaded the app store. I don't see a way to have the program download all the apps that I already own. Is there a simple way to do this?

What apps on the paid app section do you already own? Other than iLife apps, all the other 'paid' apps appear to be new.
  • Reply 112 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

I didn't have the 10.6.6 beta but had the 10.6.5 beta a while back, but installed the 10.6.5 final over it. I still had problems trying to get 10.6.6 installed using the regular update. I downloaded the 10.6.6 combo update from: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349

and it is now installing. Try that. It's a 1GB file though...

Tried, does not work.

Quote:

Well, I hope Apple didn't made a whole update of their OS just to give us the App Store crap. What are the other changes in Snow Leopard ? This page is blank (from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343) :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4459

Browsing apps in the App Store is a pain in the butt. There doesn't seem to have a Math/Scientific section ! Where are the scientific apps ?

second link is not working...
  • Reply 113 of 251
    Quote:

Well, I hope Apple didn't made a whole update of their OS just to give us the App Store crap. What are the other changes in Snow Leopard ? This page is blank (from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343) :

Are you blind? On the same page

Quote:

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4460 .

• Reply 114 of 251
    edit....
  • Reply 115 of 251
    Quote:

... The only advantages I see are some reduced prices and the ability to get an app more directly.

And you're still bitching about it..
  • Reply 116 of 251
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Are you blind? On the same page

I'm getting a blank page (all white).
  • Reply 117 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungleland26 View Post

edit....

It is quite possible to only transfer the System and Library plus invisible files from a working back up and not touch the user data (including Library).

You'd need a clone (not a TM) to be safe before starting though.
  • Reply 118 of 251
    Quote:

I'm getting a blank page (all white).

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4460 .
  • Reply 119 of 251
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Taking bets on the big announcements for CES 2012.

The WINDOWS APP STORE

THE HP APP STORE

THE SONY APP STORE

and so on............
  • Reply 120 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Taking bets on the big announcements for CES 2012.

The WINDOWS APP STORE

THE HP APP STORE

THE SONY APP STORE

and so on............

AND they were all working on it since 1908