AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Where do you see it as pentaband?

It was in the FCC documents I believe. The iPhone radio supports 5 bands, but I believe only 4 are enabled.
  • Reply 62 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Um, the FCC. Do a search for iPhone 4 pentaband.

Unfortunately it supports the 800mhz band, not the 1700mhz that T-mobile needs for proper support.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Responding to rumors of an imminent Verizon iPhone launch, AT&T has countered by touting the speed of its network, which a recent study found to be 20 percent to 60 percent faster than competitors.

What ATT fails to point out is this is the speed of their 3g network; which has very poor coverage. So yes; if you are lucky enough to be in an ATT3G cell; they are faster. But for the average American; they spend most of their time on ATT's VERY slow EDGE network.

And of course ; ATT is about a year behind verizon in starting their next generation network rollout. Its funny to read ATT saying they will start 4G this summer; when they have only completed about 40% of their 3G network so far.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I don't think it really matters if android uses more data or not.

My opninion is that it makes sense that android phones use more data. Alot of hardcore geeks have android phones and they are more likely to use their bandwidth heavily.

Probably a relatively small percentage of of extremely active android users is what is affecting those numbers.

But Again it doens't matter.
  • Reply 65 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Unfortunately it supports the 800mhz band, not the 1700mhz that T-mobile needs for proper support.

I stated as much. Pentaband simply means 5 bands, it does not indicate which five bands. If NTT DoCoMo doesn?t arrive before the iPhone 5 is due out we may see that 5th band replaced with AWS, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

No, I think it was pretty much confirmed when they left Gizmodo off the invite list.

I think it is Apple's stock price going up $5.50 (at this time) because there has to be an apparent reason.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I think it is Apple's stock price going up $5.50 (at this time) because there has to be an apparent reason.

It'll go down by the same amount on Tuesday after whatever Verizon's announcement is. That's how it always works.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

What ATT fails to point out is this is the speed of their 3g network; which has very poor coverage. So yes; if you are lucky enough to be in an ATT3G cell; they are faster. But for the average American; they spend most of their time on ATT's VERY slow EDGE network.

And of course ; ATT is about a year behind verizon in starting their next generation network rollout. Its funny to read ATT saying they will start 4G this summer; when they have only completed about 40% of their 3G network so far.

Yeah, exactly. Overall I'd say their network has improved significantly since I got my first iPhone 2.5 years ago. Speed and reliability are much better. But coverage is still a huge issue in my area--the Philly suburbs and ex-urbs. I pass in and out of 3G frequently. There is a dead spot I drive through every day on my way home, and it's near the fairly large suburban area of West Chester, PA. I drove up to the Pocono Mountains for a brief getaway two weeks ago, and coverage up there was horrendous. Very little if any 3G and very spotty Edge coverage. Annoying.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainyDayInterns View Post

Well, even if it is true (and there is no evidence that it is remotely true) that Verizon's network is THEORETICALLY slower than AT&T's, we contend that life in the "slow" lanes of Verizon would be better than life in the "breakdown" lanes of AT&T.

At least with Verizon...the traffic is actually MOVING!!!

No evidence? How about this? http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rate|financial

GWS drove 950k miles, covering 88% of the US population and found AT&T 20-60% faster and the dropped call margin to be around .01%. I'm not calling anyone a liar that has issues specific to themselves but the actual scientific data simply doesn't jive with the crap that AT&T gets slung at it.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    20-60% faster if you are sitting under a tower.... The speed drops off really fast with AT&T....
  • Reply 71 of 122
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    I'm planning on switching next month when my AT&T contract is up. My experience with AT&T has been pretty good since I got the 3G almost two years ago, but every year I spend three days where the AT&T service is virtually nonexistent. Walking out to the far corner of the hotel parking lot to get spotty EDGE coverage and dropped calls gets old fast. I don't much care about 3G data speed because I have the minimum plan and use Wi-Fi pretty much exclusively.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

20-60% faster if you are sitting under a tower.... The speed drops off really fast with AT&T....

Again, anecdotal, not hard evidence.

I live about 40-45 minutes outside of Minneapolis, in a "city" with a population of less than 2000. My latest speed tests over the last month or so on my iPhone 4?

4.69 Down, 1.50 Up (about 30 seconds ago)

3.86 Down, 1.62 Up

2.33 Down, .90 Up

2.83 Down, .76 Up

3.08 Down, .80 Up

I suppose I must be sitting under a tower
  • Reply 73 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quash View Post

I dont understand why is the phone not coming to T-mobile. It is the ONLY reason Im jailbroken. How long is it going to take Apple?

This is the exact boat I am in. I jailbroke my 2G purely to get onto T-mobile.

AT&T coverage is terrible in my area, couldn't get reception at home or work. T-mobile has been excellent here, no complaints at all.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Isn't it entirely possible that the Verizon announcement is related to LTE and 4G and has nothing whatsoever to do with any Apple product whatsoever? Kinda of a general public announcement version of the CES debut of the LTE/4G? Or have the TV commercials already covered that sufficiently and any press releases I haven't paid any attention to? or in other words, is there anything beyond rumor that suggests that tomorrow's Verizon event is about anything that isn't already established fact?
  • Reply 75 of 122
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

No evidence? How about this? http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rate|financial

GWS drove 950k miles, covering 88% of the US population and found AT&T 20-60% faster and the dropped call margin to be around .01%. I'm not calling anyone a liar that has issues specific to themselves but the actual scientific data simply doesn't jive with the crap that AT&T gets slung at it.

One Of The best things about Verizon getting the iPhone is that we will not have to fight these battles anymore. I have had very few problems with AT&T around Jersey, occasionally in NYC and in the Carolinas.

I'm sure people do have troubles in some areas, but sometimes I wonder how much of the anger is self reinforcing. Anyway, now it won't matter--don't like it and you have an option. Personally, I will be happy when all the carriers are dumb pipes and I don't have to think about them at all...
  • Reply 76 of 122
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

AT&T 3G speed blows VZW out the water by a mile, the only downfall is once you leave metro areas that speed is completely gone.

Great coverage with mediocre 3G speeds vs Mediocre coverage with great 3G speeds.

It will be interesting to see the HSPA+ vs LTE battle coming this summer, AT&Ts entire 3G network has HSPA+ already, just no devices on the market to use it other than USB modems.

That may not be entirely accurate, since I've already posted about noticing a speed increase since last week on my iPhone 4 (which I believe is HSPA+ capable?), almost everywhere in the Palo Alto/Sunnyvale, CA area (almost 20 miles in diameter). This is an increase from 1.2/.3 mbps down/upload to over 3/1.2 mbps, which is quite significant. Why they suddenly increased is fodder for another discussion about marketing tactics, which I find questionable.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Isn't it entirely possible that the Verizon announcement is related to LTE and 4G and has nothing whatsoever to do with any Apple product whatsoever?

or in other words, is there anything beyond rumor that suggests that tomorrow's Verizon event is about anything that isn't already established fact?

Well, beyond the fact that all the disparate rumors are lining up, there is the steady drumbeat of reasonably reputable sources (WSJ To name one) that are saying the same things... Add to that what Verizon and AT&T are saying and NOT saying and it seems like a done deal.

Still, you never know...
  • Reply 78 of 122
    For me I pretty much burned the bridge with Att when they tried to screw me with my last months payment. They bill ahead of time, and when I didn't use that whole month, they still demanded I pay the whole month.

After three calls and wrong explanations, I let it go to collections. It can join the other people looking for money that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 79 of 122
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    As far as I'm concerned, until I see/hear it come out of Steve Jobs' mouth, it isn't going to happen.

I have a hard time believing Verizon will be the one to announce their version of the iPhone, because everyone knows how controlling Apple/Steve Jobs are. I'm not saying that in a bad way, but Apple doesn't let AT&T announce shit for the iPhone even now, and the WSJ thinks Verizon is going to be the one to announce it? Please.

Also, iPhone 5 should be announced in a month or two, by Apple's own Keynote. Why would Verizon customers want a CDMA version/design of a phone that's been out for over 8 months?

Good luck with that. I said good-riddance to Verizon three years ago for the 3G after years of shitty service. If as many people as predicted actually flock over to Verizon, it'll free up AT&T data/service for those of us who stay. I wouldn't go back to Verizon if you paid me.

I'm waiting for Apple's announcement with a new iPhone for both carriers. On Apple's terms.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Define "average American", I thought most American's lived in urban areas where the coverage is.