Verizon iPhone offers Wi-Fi tethering but no simultaneous data and voice

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

If their awful overpriced and substandard V-cast and other content services aren't removable from it, NO WAY. V-cast is total crap in every conceivable way. I don't think they're going to see many converts if they're going to be forcing V-cast down people's throats.

No pre-installed apps. The hotspot feature is only a toggle switch in settings.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

A bit of info for you mate:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...-the-bad-news/

Thanks. Lots of good info in that link.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

So basically its a sub standard product compared to AT&T...... Imagine: you get a phone call and everyone connected to the hotspot gets bumped off the internet........

So... If you're in an AT&T service area with 3G service coverage that's spotty and devices often fall back to EDGE, then you'd already be experiencing a similar limitation - no simultaneous voice + data.

And perhaps Verizon might have better coverage in that area, so even if you have no choice but to have non-simultaneous voice and data, at least you might get faster data with Verizon than you currently would with AT&T.

There truly are valid trade-offs to be made, and every customer's situation may be different.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No pre-installed apps. The hotspot feature is only a toggle switch in settings.

Just like it is for the other carriers around the world that already support wireless hotspots on the iPhone, I assume.

I guess V-Cast is available for the iPhone, but VZW subscribers need to go to the App Store and download it manually? That's a big win for Apple's negotiating team right there.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any word on Visual Voicemail being included?

edit:

What?s good: Verizon customers will get access to Visual Voicemail.

What?s bad: Existing Verizon customers will lose their old voicemail boxes, including all messages and greetings, so they will need to listen to everything they want to hear before making the transition. ?All existing messages will be erased and can not be recovered? once an iPhone 4 is activated, Verizon notes.

How about weight, battery mAh, et al. specs?

edit: All looks to be the same.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

(Apple has updated their website already)
  • Reply 46 of 131
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

AAPL down the whole day......... I guess traders were expecting something better....

If it's down for that reason, it just goes to show (once again) how irrational the stock market is. An iPhone on Verizon is better than no iPhone on Verizon, so the announcement shouldn't be a negative. Furthermore, basically everyone was saying that this wouldn't be a new device and it would not have LTE, so nothing should have come as a surprise.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

I will admit that i don't make many phone calls, but i have had several instances where I'm talking to a business or costumer service agent while on the go where I've had to give them information that i had go pull from the web via my phone. It's a nice feature that i do use. Yes there is a trade off and like i said the tethering is nice because i found that frustrating about AT&T but there is free wifi in about 90% i go to. So it's not an issue.

I can definitely see how it's an advantage for business purposes. Personally, sure checking movie times while talking with a friend would be convenient, but most likely we are texting, not talking. It could be an issue for ATT customers considering switching, but if it was important to Verizon's customers, they would have already switched to ATT.

I'll be curious to learn exactly how it works for both voice and text.
  • Reply 48 of 131
    Assuming the real 4G LTE iphone comes out in July 2012...so 18 months from now....one phone that will work on both ATT and Verizon, and not two separate versions, I don't see the big deal in this being CDMA only. By the 2012 launch, people who sign up now for CDMA will be at the end of their contracts and get a 4G one when it actually comes out. The LTE network is at its infancy at the moment...it will be much more mature by summer 2012.

So really...most people will not be missing out on anything, besides it will give Apple enough time to make a phone that won't die within 3 hours while on 4G.
  • Reply 49 of 131
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Ok, here's what i've learned about the Mobile Hotspot feature so far:

1) Your connection is lost if you receive a call(seems like it should just go to voicemail).

2) Say you're downloading a large file, if you receive a call, the download is aborted. What sucks is you have to start over - the download does NOT pick it where it left off. Frustrating!!

3) You can kiss your battery goodbye.

Anything else?
  • Reply 50 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Hot Spot that disconnects when a call comes in is at best USELESS!

Hot Spots runs your battery down faster than you blink your eye. Ask the EVO users, they will tell you so.

WARNING: To you all people currently on AT&T, who are trying to jump ship to Verizon; the grass is not greener on the other side!

I don't think Hot Spots are useless especially if you can't WiFi connect. I can use my Hotspot and connect both my and my friends Ipads. It's not great if you are downloading from BitTorrents but if you aren't doing that, it's just fine.
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

1) Your connection is lost if you receive a call(seems like it should just go to voicemail).

2) Say you're downloading a large file, if you receive a call, the download is aborted. What sucks is you have to start over - the download does NOT pick it where it left off. Frustrating!!

Anything else?

1) I don't have that problem with TMobile so I don't know what you are talking about.

2) of course it happens with large files...when you download files on your computer/laptop/Mac does it work every time?

3) Not unless you have it plugged...besides why are you downloading from BitTorrents with your phone anyway?
  • Reply 52 of 131
    Fail. Simply, fail.
  • Reply 53 of 131
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Does no one here have a verizon android phone to answer all these call and data questions?

Data can be interrupted at any time for a cal or a text. Surfing is not a linear experience but a stop and go experience. Networks stall and restart all the time. That's the internet. You load a page, you read it. If you get a call, the phone app takes over. Hang up and go back to surfing or resume watching your video. Big whoop.

As for hot spot users, who cares? They are leaching off you anyway. They can wait until the call is over.

A call will never go to voicemail while you are surfing. The phone will ring. So what? You can then ignore it.

The only concession is no data while ON a call. You can't surf or look something up. That sucks but the opposite is never true.

I thought verizon was supposed to be great? Stop whining! It's now a choice!
  • Reply 54 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

More importantly, though, its a better product than Verizon's alternatives...

Exactly. And one reason why the majority of first-year Verizon iPhone4 buyers will be current Verizon customers.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    Many people need a phone first - portable internet second like myself. ATT doesn't even get a signal in my home and I live in SoCal so I am glad to have the option of a iPhone finally....
  • Reply 56 of 131
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

If their awful overpriced and substandard V-cast and other content services aren't removable from it, NO WAY. V-cast is total crap in every conceivable way. I don't think they're going to see many converts if they're going to be forcing V-cast down people's throats ... Listen up Verizon; it's a buyer's market, and if you try the same shtick with the iPhone that you've done with all your other devices, you're not going to get the return you think you will. Give people what they want and then they'll pay for your service, and not until.

Nice rant, but try reading the article before responding... It clearly states Verizon services will be made available on the App Store and NOT preinstalled on the phone.
  • Reply 57 of 131
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

HAHAHAHA! so Verizon is basically getting a wood be version of the iPhone, idk abut you but simultaneous voice and data usage us a MUST. Sure the tethering is a nice feature but if you get bumped every time you receive a call, that's definitely not good at all. At least one good things can be had of all this, goodbye Android

HAAAAA you said wood
  • Reply 58 of 131
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You assume the issue is Apple. Rather than being that LTE is not mature enough to be a good choice for customers in terms of network, battery etc.

I'm saying Apple should've waited because Verizon isn't ready for the Iphone yet instead of trying to shoehorn in 1980s technology into a state of the art 2010 phone.
  • Reply 59 of 131
    Since all people with iphones here have been with AT&T (in US), they are looking too much into the simultaneous voice and data issue. Most regular customers won't care. And really, if you don't want to get booted off the data connection, you can press the ignore button when a call comes through. It is not that hard. Or you can accept the call, and wait for the tethered device to update the page when you end the call. Not an ideal scenario, but considering that you get free tethering in exchange it is an insignificant issue.

AT&T - $25 for data (2GB cap on phone) + $20 for tethering (no extra data allowance; data usage counts towards 2GB cap on phone).

Verizon - $30 unlimited data on phone + free tethering (I'm assuming they will have a 'soft' cap of 5GB or so when they start issuing warnings).

How can anyone ignore the huge difference in value. If you tether, AT&T charges $45 for 2GB data while Verizon will charge $30 for unlimited data.

Not being able to use simultaneous voice and data is a compromise most people will gladly make if they are interesting in tethering.

I am on the old AT&T $30 unlimited iphone data plan and don't plan to shift to Verizon anytime soon. But I sure am jealous of the deal Verizon is giving them. I just shifted to New York from Florida, and the data speeds here on AT&T are horrible. Seems to be three times as slow as they were in Florida.
  • Reply 60 of 131
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Anything else?

Can you please point us to where you "learned" this? If you are basing it on the comments here, I wouldn't consider it reliable knowledge.

1) Define "receive a call"? If you Ignore the call, will your data connection continue uninterrupted while the call goes to voicemail (which is what you are asking for)?

2) Again, do you have the option to Ignore the call and let the download continue? Do you know for certain the download won't pick up again after you accept the call? Safari on a Mac can resume an interrupted download.

3) Basic physics...it takes more power to operate two radios than just one. I hope you didn't just learn that today! Is this any different than using Bluetooth to tether on ATT? OK, Bluetooth uses less power than wi-fi. But you still have the option to use Bluetooth with your Verizon data connection. So power-wise, tethering is no more wasteful of battery power than it was before on ATT. The difference is you have the option to use wi-fi for things like an iPad. Something that is impossible with other carriers (for now).

As far as I can tell, the only thing we've learned so far is that we can't do simultaneous voice and data. Everything else is not yet known. Only speculation.