Verizon iPhone offers Wi-Fi tethering but no simultaneous data and voice

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Just curious...how many phone calls do you get a day? I don't know about you, but most people I know text instead of making voice calls these days, don't they? So what I'd like to know is if I can send/receive texts while on the data connection?

That said, when I do want to make a voice call I want a reliable connection. So there's trade-offs either way.

Man I wished I lived in your neck of the woods. I would love to hear the sound of "silence" (unless they are clacking away on some POS plastic button keyboard), but the silent pitter pats of fingers having at it on their glass phone screen typing away. I'd love to hear that then actual one sided phone conversations, especially by those that increase their voice volume by a multiple of 10, that ensures I have to be exposed to that all important conversation, "Do we need eggs?" "How about milk?"..., conversations that are about nothing and only pollute the air waves!
  • Reply 82 of 131
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    CDMA is such a joke, why do US operators use it? You can't even take your phone abroad and you can't simultaneously use data and voice. Yet people in the US are predicted to flock to it because it now has the iPhone. I can't help thinking that the US cell phone market is a bit of a joke compared to Europe. Apart from of course US carriers are pushing out LTE....
  • Reply 83 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmamule View Post

Hi everyone,

I have a Droid Incredible w/Mobile Hotspot, and did a couple quick experiments: I had my iPod Touch using it and started browsing websites. While sites were loading I called my cell from another phone. The web page downloads paused while the call was active, but resumed immediately after the call finished OR went to voicemail. It did not have to re-start the page load from scratch.

I also sent/received a couple texts while browsing on the iPod and there was no noticeable interruption at all.

Overall I find the Mobile Hotspot very handy. I use it all the time with my iPad and iPod Touch and love it. I communicate via text rather than voice most of the time these days, so the simultaneous voice/data issue is not really significant for me.

Good to know, thank you. Also I assume you can switch the phone off if internet is crucial at any given time. I can see the iPad WiFi only (with max RAM) becoming the best selection for most.
  • Reply 84 of 131
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geeklvr View Post

After the announcement, I called ATT and asked for incentives to keep me on their network. I told them about the Verizon announcement, and offered to renew my contract if they would upgrade me to the iPhone 4 at no cost, and knock $15 off my month rate. They accepted the deal. ATT know the threat Verizon poses, and are eager to stop the bloodletting. I would encourage everyone who is willing to stick around to haggle.

yea right
  • Reply 85 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

CDMA is such a joke, why do US operators use it? You can't even take your phone abroad and you can't simultaneously use data and voice. Yet people in the US are predicted to flock to it because it now has the iPhone. I can't help thinking that the US cell phone market is a bit of a joke compared to Europe. Apart from of course US carriers are pushing out LTE....

Not my area of expertise so I am just pasting this from the Verizon Q&A ...

"12. Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally."
  • Reply 86 of 131
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

It must be nice to live in your perfect world. What planet are you on?
  • Reply 87 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well most devices that connect to a network will continue to attempt to connect until it hits a preset timeout limit. What that limit is, not sure? After enough time has lapsed, it will timeout and the page will have to be reloaded when the network comes back up.

So if you did a quick test, say under 30 seconds, you won't get a complete disconnect.

That's a good point, so I answered the call for 1 minute and it behaved the same as before when I ended the call by resuming the page load where it left off.

I assume you're right that there is some point beyond which it would indeed give up, but at least you have enough time that if the connection is critical to you, you can tell your caller that you'll call back later without having to immediately hang up on them! :-)
  • Reply 88 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

HAHAHAHA! so Verizon is basically getting a wood be version of the iPhone, idk abut you but simultaneous voice and data usage us a MUST. Sure the tethering is a nice feature but if you get bumped every time you receive a call, that's definitely not good at all. At least one good things can be had of all this, goodbye Android

First of all, learn how to spell buddy. Wood? abut? If you want to sound like you know what you are talking about, make sure you do a little spell check.

Second of all, I am a Verizon customer, who have waited for this day for a very long time. I have many friends who hate AT&T and have had issues while I have never dropped a call or had a problem finding service. I also travel alow within the US for work so I have tested many areas. I have apple TV, macbook pro, Ipod, ipod touch, Nike+ etc. I LOVE apple products. However I have now owned a Motorola Droid X for a few months. This phone totally rocks and definately gives the iphone a run for their money. The best thing that the Doid X does that I have not seen Iphone 4 do, is the voice to text program. I can say, "Navigate to Wrigley Field" and it gives me turn by turn directions with street names spoken to me etc. I used to own a Garmin and my phone's google maps navigation blows Garmin out of the water. I would like to emphize that I am NOT using VZ Navigator. I know that the App Store has a "google voice" app but definately doesnt have the capabilities that the droid's OS has. I agree the Verizon apps suck, beside their NFL mobile which allows me to listen to any football game or watch NFL redzone while on a road trip...Totally Awesome!

3rd of all, I work for a software company and I bring my laptop to trade shows to demo our product. I use my droid X's 3G mobile spot and never have any issues. Its fast (For being off a cell phone) and it never disonnects, even when an incomming call comes in. Yes it disconnects if I answer it but if I ignore the call or dont pick up, i continue to surg the web with no problems! But think about it people, how often do you make a phone call nowadays? Maybe 30% of the time? Communication is all done through text message and email, so why the big deal? And when you conversing over the phone, what is the percentage that you need to simultaneously be on the internet. If you are in the middle of websurfing and you take a call, once the call is ended you can hop back on the internet and continue where you left off. And even if you do you need to access the internet while on a call, are you really going to tell someone to "Please hold on while I try and search for something on my phone." I would tell the caller "Let me call you back and I will Text you the link with the info."

Everyone is making this a bigger deal than what it is. One last thing to remember, AT&T is charging people $20/mo for tethering. Verizon is giving it to you for free. Its like the "Free Apps" on any app store. You get the free version which is limited to what it can do or you can spend $2.99 and get the full version with no limitations. If its worth more to you to pay $20/mo so you can surf the web and talk on the phone, then pay the $20. If you want a free version of tethering with some limitations, then Verizon has your answer.

Sorry for the long response but after reading all these comments I had to get this off my chest!
  • Reply 89 of 131
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not my area of expertise so I am just pasting this from the Q&A ...

"12. Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally."

OK so does the Verizon iPhone have a GSM aerial too then? We have no CDMA networks in the UK.
  • Reply 90 of 131
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    So if you're in a FaceTime or IM chat and you get a call what happens? Can you reject it, or are any data-connected apps immediately cut off?

Verizon and Apple are keeping this on the down-low, of course. Some people are in for some buyer's remorse, I think. But hey, at least they can have either data or voice (but not both at the same time) on the best network in America!

It's a pity, really. I think simultaneous WiFi tethering + voice would be a huge draw for consumers and business customers alike.
  • Reply 91 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmamule View Post

That's a good point, so I answered the call for 1 minute and it behaved the same as before when I ended the call by resuming the page load where it left off.

I assume you're right that there is some point beyond which it would indeed give up, but at least you have enough time that if the connection is critical to you, you can tell your caller that you'll call back later without having to immediately hang up on them! :-)

It would also depend on any time out on the web end. I know some sites I use (such as MLS via tunneling) drop you in an instant if the handshake hiccups.

I must check if iPhone can have phone off and data on, I never looked before.
  • Reply 92 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) Most Americans don?t travel regularly outside of their continent, much less their country. The US is very large and diverse and has the benefit of being connected by 49 states without any roaming charges.

2) Verizon has its benefits even if their ?3G? is very limited n scope to AT&T?s ?3G?. They also have great marketing. These were the people that advertised their huge ?3G? network that was mostly slower than AT&T?s ?2G? EDGE network for data. AT&T is very poor at PR.

3) Whether real or imagined this poor AT&T image will make a difference, but I?m certain the biggest migration to the iPhone will be internally from Verizon users shunning non-iPhones, then with other non-iPhone carrying US carriers pulling toward Verizon, and finally with AT&T pulling up the rear.
  • Reply 93 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

So if you're in a FaceTime or IM chat and you get a call what happens? Can you reject it, or are any data-connected apps immediately cut off?

Verizon and Apple are keeping this on the down-low, of course. Some people are in for some buyer's remorse, I think. But hey, at least they can have either data or voice (but not both at the same time) on the best network in America!

It's a pity, really. I think simultaneous WiFi tethering + voice would be a huge draw for consumers and business customers alike.

Yep your last paragraph is what I hoped for and would have switched (maybe). I will wait till all are checked yes.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Most Americans don?t travel regularly outside of their continent, much less their country. The US is very large and diverse and has the benefit of being connected by 49 states without any roaming charges.

2) Verizon has its benefits even if their ?3G? is very limited n scope to AT&T?s ?3G?. They also have great marketing. These were the people that advertised their huge ?3G? network that was mostly slower than AT&T?s ?2G? EDGE network for data. AT&T is very poor at PR.

3) Whether real or imagined this poor AT&T image will make a difference, but I?m certain the biggest migration to the iPhone will be internally from Verizon users shunning non-iPhones, then with other non-iPhone carrying US carriers pulling toward Verizon, and finally with AT&T pulling up the rear.

You are right as per usual Maybe, just maybe Apple have this lesser iPhone for this very reason, the vast majority (and it will be massive) will be internal upgrades within Verizon and not AT&T switching. Had our dreams been met that might have been a different scenario.
  • Reply 95 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

sc*** Verizon!

I have no issues with att here on Miami Beach. My iphone 4 is juts fine. And gods knows I don't want Verizon fu***** with my itunes. I haven't heard anything about this but just keep an eye out.

"My iphone 4 is juts fine."

Maybe you shouldn't put it in your front pants pocket
  • Reply 96 of 131
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep your last paragraph is what I hoped for and would have switched (maybe). I will wait till all are checked yes.

Data plans are still way too overpriced, in my opinion. I can't see myself purchasing a smartphone unless the plan prices drop. I also hate contracts and their associated early termination fees.

I know Android phones are not iPhones, but Cricket is offering an Android phone with a $55/mo unlimited voice+text+data plan with NO CONTRACTS. I'm seriously looking at that one.
  • Reply 97 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"My iphone 4 is juts fine."

Maybe you shouldn't put it in your front pants pocket

Bet he has it on vibrate
  • Reply 98 of 131
    Quote:

Data plans are still way too overpriced, in my opinion. I can't see myself purchasing a smartphone unless the plan prices drop. I also hate contracts and their associated early termination fees.

I know Android phones are not iPhones, but Cricket is offering an Android phone with a 55/mo unlimited voice+text+data plan with NO CONTRACTS. I'm seriously looking at that one.

You don't have a smart phone? To be honest prior to iPhone I only used land lines, e-mail and 'dumb' phones. I could never figure out pre iPhone smart phones

BTW I meant wait to move to an iPhone 4 from 3GS not get an iPhone, iorry if that was confusing.
  • Reply 99 of 131
    Quote:

OK so does the Verizon iPhone have a GSM aerial too then? We have no CDMA networks in the UK.

Good question. As I said I just read that Q&A and saw your post ... not my area, sorry.
  • Reply 100 of 131
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Well FaceTime only works over WiFi, so the goings on of the cell network wouldn't have any affect on FaceTime.

The no data/voice thing is a limitation of the cell network, not the iPhone. If you're connected to the internet over WiFi, you'll still be able to handle voice calls over the cell network.