Apple iBooks app indicates iPad 2 will quadruple resolution to 2048x1536

Comments

• Reply 141 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

More fragmentation. 480x320, 960x640, 1024x768, and possibly 2048x1536. Everything will look horrible upscaled.

Would it though? I mean if it were displayed on the same size display, only at a higher resolution, would it not simply look the same? Maybe you'd be able to pick out more aliasing. Or maybe it would look like crap. Anyone know? Preferably someone without an axe to grind?
  • Reply 142 of 187
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Would it though? I mean if it were displayed on the same size display, only at a higher resolution, would it not simply look the same? Maybe you'd be able to pick out more aliasing. Or maybe it would look like crap. Anyone know? Preferably someone without an axe to grind?

Correct. It would not look horrible or like crap in any way. It would just look the same as it currently does today. Not bad considering games like, oh I dunno, Rage HD or Infinity Blade look great at 10x7 on the iPad screen.

Someday, some future grown-up manchild (probably Zoll) will remark "you mean you can see the pixels? that's like a baby's toy!" but not me or anyone I know.
  • Reply 143 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Now i've read through some rebuttals to my post and i'll admit, i'm not a programmer and have no idea what i'm talking about beyond my basic interfacing with the phones. Android is indeed slow and buggy, and really more like a beta version of a potentially good OS.

Case closed.

Quote:

I took one look at the iPad, could see it was horribly crippled by 256 megs of ram, and knew that it would be one of their little scams they use to force people to upgrade in the future. Now look at where we are on the iPad. It has multitasking and lots of issues with safari refreshing, large pdf files not reading properly, etc... If the iPad 1 had 512 megs of ram it would overall be a much more pleasant experience.

I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain.

Quote:

I'm just hoping that apple comes out with a reasonably spec'd iPad 2 so I can buy one.

One man's reason is another man's insanity.
  • Reply 144 of 187
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I agree with some other folks about the weight. It has to be lighter. My order of priority for hardware improvements would be:

1. Less than 1 lb weight. This would be the biggest usability improvement if Apple can get it to 1 lb.

2. 512 MB to 1 GB of RAM

3. 16 to 128 GB storage options

4. 2x the CPU and GPU performance

5. Maintain battery life

6. Improve the display. I'm thinking about less glare here.

7. Facetime camera

It's amazing I put battery life almost so far down! If they go down to 8 hours for WiFi browsing, it maybe ok. The current 1024x768 IPS screen is hugely awesome. 2048x1536 is turning it up to 11!
  • Reply 145 of 187
    insult removed
  • Reply 146 of 187
    For a moment, forget the idea of a high-resolution iPad display in the same form factor.

What if there's a new high-end addition to the iPad family that's simply... bigger? Twice the size?

The updated flash-based macbook air pioneers 1440x900 - previously a 15" resolution - in 13". There's a need for a new 15" resolution in the upcoming new macbook pro - 17" 1920 x 1200 is a prime candidate for appearing at the smaller 15". No idea what a new 17" resolution might be... If you're ordering those parts en masse, why not get touch-sensitive ones as well? (1280x800 is passe, but will take a while to be removed from the base macbook). You can get this kind of resolution in 15".

A double-size iPad would be the size of a laptop screen, could show two book pages at once... it would be really immersive to use, and have interesting drawing/CAD/gaming applications. It would follow the scaling-up we've seen in the Macbook Pro and Air families, too.

Bet bigger.
  • Reply 147 of 187
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Very fan-boyish of you, well played. Shall I try and recover some of Steve Jobs feces for you to roll around in?

Can I have some? PM me for my address...

Thanks!!!
  • Reply 148 of 187
    Quote:

Very fan-boyish of you, well played. Shall I try and recover some of Steve Jobs feces for you to roll around in?

Isn't There Any PlayGround for Ya( FanDroid Whining Circle )???????????????

This is NOT The PLACE for Ya!

Leave YaSelf, OtherWise Get LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 149 of 187
    I think it's more likely they're increasing the resolution of UI elements so you can zoom without pixelating things. For both accessibility and resolution independence.
  • Reply 150 of 187
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't know anything about what the resolution of the next iPad's screen will be, but I do know this, with utter certainty:

Now that this rumor is out and about, if the iPad has the same or modestly bumped resolution, there will lots of people acting as if Apple had promised us much more and then, inexplicably because obviously they could have if they wanted too except Steve Jobs is too greedy FAIL, let us down, AGAIN.

I personally think that anyone expecting a doubling of pixels in both dimensions will be disappointed. What I expect to see is a discernible improvement in screen resolution with a a much greater focus on performance; as a result of this, I am not expecting significant improvement in battery life. As far as weight goes, I am not certain - I kind of think that will be addressed in iPad 3.
  • Reply 151 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by complicity View Post

Bet bigger.

If anything, I am betting smaller - 6 to 8 inches.
  • Reply 152 of 187
    I should know better than to feed the trolls.

But back to what matters, I'm starting to believe (unfortunately) that the updated, double resolution graphics are just going to be for an OSX version of ibooks. A 2048x1536 9.7" screen would be amazing... completely unprecedented, and have no equal. All the more reason to believe this is not the likely outcome.

I'm sure it will happen someday, probably not too far off. \
  • Reply 153 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

If anything, I am betting smaller - 6 to 7 inches.

Jobs already said, very publicly, that 7" tablets are DOA. For him they make no sense. Do you really think Apple will make a 7" tablet, is he just trying to throw us off his master plans?
  • Reply 154 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Jobs already said, very publicly, that 7" tablets are DOA. For him they make no sense. Do you really think Apple will make a 7" tablet, is he just trying to throw us off his master plans?

I meant to say 6 to 8 inches (now corrected).

I do believe that Jobs would consider a smaller tablet. I think they opened with what they thought would be their best-received device but will ultimately build out the line like they did with iPods.
  • Reply 155 of 187
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I agree with some other folks about the weight. It has to be lighter. My order of priority for hardware improvements would be:

1. Less than 1 lb weight. This would be the biggest usability improvement if Apple can get it to 1 lb.

Do you know weight is proportional to the volume? Currently iPad volume is already 9.85 times the iPhone4. Yet its weight is 5.0 times of iPhone 4. To reduce its weight to less than 1lb, it is extremely difficult. Further, except for the battery the internal components of iPad is similar to the iPhone 4. So the extra weight of the iPad is essentially due to its body and screen. This means Apple can effectively change the weight of iPad only by using different material for the body.
  • Reply 156 of 187
    Quote:

I do believe that Jobs would consider a smaller tablet. I think they opened with what they thought would be their best-received device but will ultimately build out the line like they did with iPods.

I still don't believe it. You might want it, and some others might too, but I just get the feeling that this is a particular subcategory of the product that Apple will continue to ignore. Just like how Apple won't make a stripped down minitower mac, I think they consider a 6-8" tablet either too niche or too wrong for them to make, for whatever reason.

The form factors are currently very distinct and clear because of their sizes. I think Apple prefers that, knowing that there are few very clear models and knowing that you as a consumer have to make hard choices in what to get. Now I could imagine them bringing the iphone/ipod up to 4", but that's about it.

I'll hedge my bets a little: if they did do it, it would be a 'reinvention' of devices at that size. Meaning it would be different, and not what you're imagining. Much like what they did in introducing the ipod mini, or mac mini or even the shuffle. Sure they might one day go into the subcategory you want, but not in the way you want. It will be the way Apple wants.
  • Reply 157 of 187
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

I disagree. Only if the mass start to choose the 7" Android based tablets in large quantities will Apple make one for iPad.
  • Reply 158 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Do you know weight is proportional to the volume? Currently iPad volume is already 9.85 times the iPhone4. Yet its weight is 5.0 times of iPhone 4. To reduce its weight to less than 1lb, it is extremely difficult. Further, except for the battery the internal components of iPad is similar to the iPhone 4. So the extra weight of the iPad is essentially due to its body and screen. This means Apple can effectively change the weight of iPad only by using different material for the body.

I think it?s pretty impressive considering the size of the battery and size of the glass-covered display. Then add in the additional support for that larger display to rigid. I wonder how much it cost them to mill the back pane casing on the iPad.

The iPad has pretty much the same components as the iPhone 4, but they aren?t as ?overly engineeried? to fit into such a small space. If they follow the iPhone 4 circuit board construction on the next iPad we might see a much smaller board allow for an even bigger battery, by footprint. Add in the rumours of the thiner casing and the thinner display/backlight/touch panel from patents and we could have a pretty impressive next generation iPad.

I think it?s possible that in a year or two the iPad could be Apple?s biggest money maker I think it will become #2 sometime this year, passing the Mac.
  • Reply 159 of 187
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I personally think that anyone expecting a doubling of pixels in both dimensions will be disappointed. What I expect to see is a discernible improvement in screen resolution with a a much greater focus on performance; as a result of this, I am not expecting significant improvement in battery life. As far as weight goes, I am not certain - I kind of think that will be addressed in iPad 3.

Agreed. Haven't seen anything that rivals the iPad for battery life, so my guess is they'll let that alone for now (although of course there's always the possibility of further efficiencies in software and chip fabrication).

I do imagine they'll want to do something to boost the quality of the screen, now that they've made such a big deal out of the iPhone's display. However, big boosts in processing power and memory will allow the platform to move towards full fledged computer status, with fully functional on board video editing and image processing, parity with desktop apps such as Keynote, high res video out with mirroring, etc. I would take all of that way before any crazy high rez screen.
  • Reply 160 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I disagree. Only if the mass start to choose the 7" Android based tablets in large quantities will Apple make one for iPad.

I think this is right. It will depend on sales... if the market is buying 7" tablets in droves, just like how they used to buy crappy little flash mp3 players that cost $129, then Apple will go into it. Even if they do, be prepared for it to be a 'reinvention' of the category... so not what people expect.

But there's no indication this will happen. The 7" tablets vs the 10" ipad aren't analogous to the $129 flash mp3 players vs $300 ipods of 2004 because the 7" tablets cost too much, too close to the price of the bigger and better looking ipad. We know Apple has an unfair advantage here, they can demand lower priced components because of their market strength, making it so a 7" tablet costs about the same as the Apple branded one. It's not fair, it really isn't. It's not an advantage Apple held 6-7 years ago, but you can bet they'll wield it now. They already do and they'll keep wielding it in order to ensure that 7" screens stand no chance of succeeding in the marketplace.