AT&T to expand tethering data cap to 4GB for $45 per month

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T on Wednesday announced that "select smartphone customers" will be able to access the AT&T Mobile Hotspot application for sharing a handset's 3G data connection with other devices, offering 4GB of data per month with tethering for $45.

The press release sent out by AT&T made no mention of the iPhone 4 or its Personal Hotspot feature expected to be introduced with iOS 4.3. The company noted that the first handset to support the new tethering plan will be the HTC Inspire 4G, launching in its stores on Feb. 13.

On Feb. 13, AT&T will automatically add an additional 2GB of monthly data use to smartphone customers who are already on its $20-per-month tethering plan. The additional data will be given at no extra charge.

Customers on the existing $25-per-month DataPro plan will remain with 2GB of data per month. Those who opt for the $20 tethering plan will be given the additional 2GB of data, which will be applied to collective use among all devices.

For users who go over the monthly data cap, AT&T will charge the standard overage fee of $10 per gigabyte.

"Our customers want to connect as many devices as possible to the nation's fastest mobile broadband network, which is getting faster with 4G," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "We want to extend the benefits of an additional 2GB to smartphone customers on our tethering plan. This delivers more value today for the price they're already paying - and that's what our customers want."

The expanded data plans with tethering will debut just three days after Apple's iPhone 4 launches on the Verizon network in the U.S. on Feb. 10. That handset will launch with the Personal Hotspot feature built-in.

AT&T launched its DataPro plan with a 2GB cap for $25 per month in June of 2010, replacing the previous $30 plan for unlimited data. At that time, the carrier also began offering the ability to tether an iPhone's 3G data connection via Bluetooth or USB for an additional $20 per month, but offered no extra bandwidth cap space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    An overage charge of $20/GB? Is that right? I believe the current overage charge is $10/GB.

(article now corrected)
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Still too much...The last thing I'm going to do is give ATT another $20/month. I already pay $120 for my iPhone 4. Too, too much!

Best
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Still too much...The last thing I'm going to do is give ATT another $45/month. I already pay $120 for my iPhone 4. Too, too much!

It's not another $45 - it's an additional $20 over the $25 for the current 2gb data plan.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

It's not another $45 - it's an additional $20 over the $25 for the current 2gb data plan.

Understood! Thanks DJ. I'm already paying $30 for my iPhone 4....another $20 is still too much. Best.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    The title is very misleading. There is no increase for those of us that currently have the tethering plan. For those that do not, you pay an additional $20 / month for tethering above the 2GB data plan (which is $25 / month).

The title seems to indicate that there is an additional charge (or at least that is how I took it).
  • Reply 6 of 40
    AI: Is it too much to ask to actually link source material? Seriously, it's getting really old, and honestly, it's becoming laughable how poorly you cite your articles.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...115124609.html
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Understood! Thanks DJ. I'm already paying $30 for my iPhone 4....another $20 is still too much. Best.

Well if you're paying $30, it sounds as if you're grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. There's no mention of this in the AI story, but I assume you'd have to switch to a capped data plan in order to be eligible for tethering. The upshot of that is that it would only be an additional $15
  • Reply 8 of 40
    At least you get some data for your tethering fee now.

$25 for 2GB on the phone, and $20 for an additional 2GB that can be shared between all the devices.

You can argue that $45 for 4GB is too high, but it's better than before!

What would be better is if you didn't have to pay for tethering at all:

$25 for 2GB, $45 for 4GB, and tether or not at your own discretion...

I would use the tethering function occasionally, but not enough to require additional bandwidth.

Of course, I suppose I would have to give up my $30 unlimited plan too...
  • Reply 9 of 40
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Ingenious people who refuse to be extorted are pirates.

Think Different - but only if it doesn't hurt the bottom line... then we prefer you don't think at all.

Lots of love

- Corporate America

xo
  • Reply 10 of 40
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    If they made tethering as easy as activating/deactivating 3G on my iPad I'd consider adding it on an as needed basis. I'd even drop my grandfathered $30 plan to do so.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    And people wonder why we want the carriers reduced to being Dumb Pipes! What is this 'select customer' bullshit? Either offer it to everyone, or don't offer it at all (even if it's not a great deal.)

Given all the games these companies play with plans and pricing and availability, I imagine their salespeople must have a 2" binder full of all the various options and their contradictory offerings. Meanwhile Apple, the most valuable tech company on the planet at this point, keeps their product inventory down to 'what can fit on a conference table', and continues to find ways to consolidate product overlap.

Whenever I hear 'select customers' the first word that comes to mind is 'capricious'.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    I'm only surprised they didn't use the marketing gimmick:

Call NOW....the first ten fools..., er, customers who call will receive the deal. But you must call now (operators are standing by - actually unfathomable voice-mail is standing by to further frustrate you).

I just spent 2 HOURS trying to get my office ATT account straightened out, after two previous hour long calls last week, so I don't think I'll be rushing to the phone to take advantage of this "bargain".
  • Reply 13 of 40
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

$25 for 2GB on the phone, and $20 for an additional 2GB that can be shared between all the devices.

<B>$25 for 2GB, $45 for 4GB, and tether or not at your own discretion...</B>

I would use the tethering function occasionally, but not enough to require additional bandwidth.

Well... isn't that exactly what it is? If you ignore the tethering capability, ATT is giving you 2 GB for $20 and 4 for $45. You get free tethering with that higher plan now. Look at it that way and it appears that your wish is granted.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    My cell phone costs maybe $9 a month on a family plan. These data costs are insane. I use the internet heavily at work and home. That does not mean I need it while driving. My iTouch works great on the $0 per month data plan. Unlimited bandwidth.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    jwsjws Posts: 7member
    Will we be able to tether our non-3G iPad to the iPhone now?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Well... isn't that exactly what it is? If you ignore the tethering capability, ATT is giving you 2 GB for $20 and 4 for $45. You get free tethering with that higher plan now. Look at it that way and it appears that your wish is granted.

Actually, it's even better. If you ignore the GB limits and ignore the prices, then you are getting unlimited bandwidth and unlimited tethering, all for free.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JWS View Post

Will we be able to tether our non-3G iPad to the iPhone now?

This should be possible with the iOS 4.3 update and it's WiFi hotspot capability.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    So Att wants $20 to enable wifi hot spots on its phones (probably the first phone mentioned is android based) when $30 from the good old days was unlimited for the phone? I guess now if you tether now you just use the wifi hot spot feature.

Sad.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

If they made tethering as easy as activating/deactivating 3G on my iPad I'd consider adding it on an as needed basis. I'd even drop my grandfathered $30 plan to do so.

I'm with you. Occasionally this would be very useful, but I dpn't need it every month.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

$25 for 2GB, $45 for 4GB, and tether or not at your own discretion...

I won't give up my $30 unlimited plan but

$30 Unlimited plan + $15 for tethering/hotspot hmmm