Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 282
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Please don't feed the trolls.
  • Reply 22 of 282
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    If some people on this thread instead an iPhone they were wearing a robe, and you wouldn't distinguish them from taliban.

My God, so hatred and fanaticism.
  • Reply 23 of 282
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    So what you actually mean is the os is more complete than the basic application launcher that is IOS? I agree
  • Reply 24 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

at least i can put lipstick on it, does jobs let you put anything you want on your iPad, nope. walled garden, closed system. its a dying model.

Gee, I'd like some spamware, sloppy coding, unsupported apps, a little malware, maybe a Chinese robot to send back personal info, incompatible updates, phone/vendor crapware, maybe half a dozen annoying alert sounds, and lots of pirated apps.

Go get all the crapware you want (lipstick too), we have a life to live and things more important to do than to re-install and debug. insult removed
  • Reply 25 of 282
    jw915jw915 Posts: 18member
    I use an Android tablet and an iPad daily and have to say: the author doesn't know what he is talking about.

Microsoft's tablet PCs are a direct adaptation of desktop systems, with cumbersome window management, pen input, and other misfeatures. They are totally different from both Android tablets and iPads.

Android tablets are very much like the iPad, only that they offer some additional features: you can (but don't have to) put widgets on the home screen, you get additional soft keyboards (many of them far superior to Apple's), and applications are better integrated and more consistent than iPad apps.

I guarantee you, just like Apple finally gave in and added multitasking to iOS, Apple will be adding widgets and other Android features as well: they have to, otherwise they'll be falling behind further and further.

Android 2.2 is already a superior tablet OS to iOS 4.2, and Android 3.0 is far ahead of iOS 4.2.
  • Reply 26 of 282
    jw915jw915 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

Gee, I'd like some spamware, sloppy coding, unsupported apps, a little malware, maybe a Chinese robot to send back personal info, incompatible updates, phone/vendor crapware, maybe half a dozen annoying alert sounds, and lots of pirated apps.

You're a fool if you think Apple is protecting you from that. Apple's review process cannot catch any of that, as several high profile blunders have shown where people smuggled secret functionality into apps that were only pulled when people started telling Apple about it. At best, Apple can pull dangerous apps from the App Store once they get user complaints. But that's the same thing Google does with Market.

Unlike iOS, however, where your applications run largely unprotected, Android's permission system actually enforces protections for apps, so if the app doesn't request access to personal information, you can be certain that it won't get any either.
  • Reply 27 of 282
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If you were around in the sixteenth century, would you rather have bought an original painting from Leonardo DaVinci, or would you rather have bought a pale imitation that was being sold to you in the street by a homeless beggar?

The iPad is like the Mona Lisa and all of the countless tablet copies coming out this year are the pale imitations being made by a bunch of companies playing monkey see, monkey do. Nobody has even come out with a viable contender to seriously compete with iPad 1 yet, and iPad 2 is right around the corner.
  • Reply 28 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

I use an Android tablet and an iPad daily and have to say: the author doesn't know what he is talking about.

Microsoft's tablet PCs are a direct adaptation of desktop systems, with cumbersome window management, pen input, and other misfeatures. They are totally different from both Android tablets and iPads.

Android tablets are very much like the iPad, only that they offer some additional features: you can (but don't have to) put widgets on the home screen, you get additional soft keyboards (many of them far superior to Apple's), and applications are better integrated and more consistent than iPad apps.

I guarantee you, just like Apple finally gave in and added multitasking to iOS, Apple will be adding widgets and other Android features as well: they have to, otherwise they'll be falling behind further and further.

Android 2.2 is already a superior tablet OS to iOS 4.2, and Android 3.0 is far ahead of iOS 4.2.

There are 2 pages to the article. Your Android tablet is too small to read the whole article.

If you are happy with your Tab, then go away.

All 15 million iPad users are probably not as smart as you are and Steve Jobs will be phoning you in a few minutes for advice on how to save Apple computer. Please help.
  • Reply 29 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

There are 2 pages to the article. Your Android tablet is too small to read the whole article.

If you are happy with your Tab, then go away.

All 15 million iPad users are probably not as smart as you are and Steve Jobs will be phoning you in a few minutes for advice on how to save Apple computer. Please help.

What a troll
  • Reply 30 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If you were around in the sixteenth century, would you rather have bought an original painting from Leonardo DaVinci, or would you rather have bought a pale imitation that was being sold to you in the street by a homeless beggar?

The iPad is like the Mona Lisa and all of the countless tablet copies coming out this year are the pale imitations being made by a bunch of companies playing monkey see, monkey do. Nobody has even come out with a viable contender to seriously compete with iPad 1 yet, and iPad 2 is right around the corner.

You are much too kind. I see these tablet copy-cats as parasites and leeches?too cheap and dumb to do research and design themselves. They can't even come up with a different colored screen/face-plate. They're all black and chrome, glass and rounded corners.

IPad 2 is indeed around the corner so if any parasitic/leech-brain tablet appears to be a threat, all Apple has to do is drop the price of iPad 1. What these parasites and leeches should have done is soup up the netbooks. Now they're just trying to play Apple's game and failing.
  • Reply 31 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

What a troll

Do I leave you speechless?
  • Reply 32 of 282
    Honeycomb looks very slick to me. One thing they got right is to not require a home button. It makes no sense in a tablet, specially in portrait mode.

If this makes Apple improve iOS's notification system and replace those popups by something less intrusive and annoying, we all won already.
  • Reply 33 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

You're a fool if you think Apple is protecting you from that. Apple's review process cannot catch any of that, as several high profile blunders have shown where people smuggled secret functionality into apps that were only pulled when people started telling Apple about it. At best, Apple can pull dangerous apps from the App Store once they get user complaints. But that's the same thing Google does with Market.

Unlike iOS, however, where your applications run largely unprotected, Android's permission system actually enforces protections for apps, so if the app doesn't request access to personal information, you can be certain that it won't get any either.

So what was that news item about the Chinese robots gathering info?

So what about the crapware phone companies and phone/tablet makers install?

Android is free, Google has no responsibility for what happens. If you have a problem, you have to deal with the provider or the phone/tablet maker. Good luck with that. Hello, Samsung, I downloaded this app and I think it's causing everything to slow down, could you walk me through this? Genius bar?
  • Reply 34 of 282
    if they wrap this up in a nice price, they will have a great success with it, simply because once apple is too expensive. apple has now got all the early adopters, apple fans and loyal fanbase. but that's it! many, many people out there buy things only if they can afford them. apple, it would be time for an ipad and an ipad pro! the ipad pro is what we have right now (including camera, retina display, aluminum design) and the "other" ipad is plastic/rubber, "normal" display, bad facetime cam and comes in black, white, orange, tangerine, green and pink! and it also has a price tag of 299 us$ for the white, and 349 us$ for the other pads!
  • Reply 35 of 282
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I'm tempted to buy an Android tablet just to annoy DED.
  • Reply 36 of 282
    This is the most reactive, "hater" article I've ever read on AI. I love Apple products and I like the iPad (I will probably wait until iPad 2 and/or iOS 5). But Honeycomb is genuinely neat. I don't understand the comparison to Windows tablets at all.

Windows = PC software shoehorned into a tablet

Honeycomb = built for touch tablets from the ground up

There was tons of stuff that Apple/iPad needs to catch up on (of course, who knows what they have planned for April/June):

-Using the home screen for more than a "warehouse of apps". The iPad has 7 times as much space as an iPhone, so why just use it for more rows of icons? 99% of the time I agree with Apple's "less is more" philosophy, but in comparison the iPad's real estate looks so wasted. Most of the time, widgets do suck (ooh, a prettier weather icon!). But Honeycomb does it right by allowing you INSTANT access to your most used things (e.g. inbox, Twitter feed, and there's still plenty of space).

-Notifications. Sorry, big purple box popping in front of everything sucks! I liked how a simple little profile pic slid up from the corner notifying the user of a new email or whatever it was.

-Cross-accessing content between PC and tablet without syncing! I hate syncing my iPhone just to get one song I just downloaded or one app...

OK everyone, don't get defensive. I've been using Apple products since 2003 and they're my favorite brand. But that DOESN'T mean that no other company has good ideas! Google (and pretty much all other companies) owe Apple for everything smartphone since 2007. But the aforementioned things are areas where I really hope Apple steps up and improves itself in iOS/iPad/iPhone. Otherwise they will get left behind...
  • Reply 37 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

This is the most reactive, "hater" article I've ever read on AI. I love Apple products and I like the iPad (I will probably wait until iPad 2 and/or iOS 5). But Honeycomb is genuinely neat. I don't understand the comparison to Windows tablets at all.

What can you expect from DED? He is totally biased and he is not ashamed of lying or telling half the truth if he can bash Google or Microsoft.
  • Reply 38 of 282
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Doesn't look appealing to me, but then, I think the iPad is dumb also. Who wants a laptop with no keyboard? Who wants a cellphone you can't fit in your pocket. Ok, all those iPad sales say I'm wrong. I guess people have more money than brains.

The iPad isn't a laptop and it isn't a phone and was never meant to be either. Most people with brains know this as Apple has been saying from day one that the iPad is a new category of product, think media consumption device.

Honeycomb tablets and iPads are what they are, don't like them, fine, don't buy them but there is no need to disparage people who may find them fun or useful. Obviously not everyone can understand how useless they are like you can.
  • Reply 39 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree that as of Feb 3, 2011, there are no viable competitors on the shelves. But Apple can't rest - Android (+Honeycomb, now) is RAPIDLY growing in numbers and accumulating features.

Here's how it shakes out, in my opinion:

iPad/iOS/Apple

+Beautiful hardware, elegant software - easy to use

+Best touch experience still

+Syncs perfectly with your iTunes, iPhoto, etc.

+Best apps in both quantity and quality

+Simple compatibility/device structure

+iWork suite opens up possibilities for office use

-Restrictive app policy

-VERY little customization (folders + wallpaper)

-archaic notification system

-Wasted UI possibilities on lock and home screen

Xoom/Honeycomb/Android/Google

+Very loose restrictions

+Brand new UI with customizable pages

+Allows skins, themes, moving backgrounds, etc.

+UI is good, but not great

-many different OS versions, many different devices/compatibilities

-App quality is low

-App profitability is low (no profit = no devs)

-hardware quality is variable (I like Google, but I'm hesitant to buy a Xoom from Motorola)

Of course, they're on two different timelines so it's hard to compare directly. It wouldn't be perfectly fair to compare the Xoom (sold zero devices, OS is not released to public) to the iPad which as moved 10 million devices in 9 months or something. The fairest comparison will probably have to wait until June...

Jan: Preview Honeycomb

Feb: Release Xoom

March(?): Preview iPad 2, Preview iOS 5 and/or release beta

April: Release iPad 2

June: Release iOS 5.0 to public
  • Reply 40 of 282
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geezmo View Post

Honeycomb looks very slick to me. One thing they got right is to not require a home button. It makes no sense in a tablet, specially in portrait mode.

If this makes Apple improve iOS's notification system and replace those popups by something less intrusive and annoying, we all won already.

I tend to agree. But the universal functionality of iOS makes it compelling for a great many.

In any case, for me at least, A3.0 is at least worth a trip to Best Buy to check it out(see if this 'pig' can squeal ).

BTW I may have missed it, but did not see any mention of printing, some basic word processing(ala Pages etc), DLNA support etc. I presume those apps/functions are in existing underlying Android code?

Oh... And I presume this new version does not support H.264 codec and only supports Googles video codec?.... Ziiiiinnng!

Those Google kids these days, they don't know if they're coming or going