Android 3.0 Honeycomb more akin to Tablet PC than iPad

Comments

• Reply 161 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If the iPad and other new slate-style tablets had included stylus support through the use of buying a separate stylus (nice way to make a bit more profit for Apple and the others - and avoid charging people for something they may not need) and included true handwriting input

iOS does allow for optional stylus use and there are a number of 3rd party note taking apps for very reasonable costs. Making this point not as damning as it could be
  • Reply 162 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What is the real difference between the Google way and just using the phone itself to buy stuff (without needing a computer at all). For most folks the difference is none.

You could do that before yesterday - they just added a new feature, which is an extra option that there isn't an iPhone/iTunes equivalent of yet, that's all.

Quote:

so can I link my paypal to my Google account. Can I grab a gift card paid with cash at the grocery store and apply it to my Google account. On my device even. For much of the public this is a big deal cause they are paranoid about putting credit cards and bank links online

Again, missing the point entirely. We aren't talking about comparing the merits of Google Checkout and any other payment system, the author of the article said

"The difference is that Apple's web store links to iTunes for purchases, which can be made via credit cards (since 2008); Google still only accepts its own Google Checkout for payments."

Which implies that using Google Checkout is somehow different to being able to use your credit card on iTunes.

No mention of vouchers. Or PayPal. Or anything else.

Just replying with anything to disagree isn't the same as following a discussion
  • Reply 163 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Tapas is an Android variant.

I know there are a lot of car manufacturers that would be sad if you made the rules... there are a lot of Ford, GM and Chrysler automobiles with engines made from other manufacturers... but, to the best of my knowledge, these cards are still Fords etc... [on edit - Tapas aint Android regardless if it has an Android engine]

Android sounds like a whole lot of hurt to me if they are calling every variant an android phone even if you can't immediately run the latest android os on all of the latest android based phones.
  • Reply 164 of 282
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 165 of 282
    Here's a thought. Buy whatever f*cking phone, tablet, computer you want. I really don't care.
  • Reply 166 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Here's a thought. Buy whatever f*cking phone, tablet, computer you want. I really don't care.

Forums probably aren't the place for you then, I reckon
  • Reply 167 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

True but with one correction.

One doesn't have to be a dumbass to be an iOS user, one just has to be someone who doesn't understand detailed technological management and just wants the device to work like the information appliance it really is.

One can totally understand 'detailed technological management', even work in the field and choose to use iOS over something else. Not all uses need that kind of tech. Sometimes you just want to do what you want to do without the bells and whistles that you totally understand etc
  • Reply 168 of 282
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Think of it this way. You're browsing your favorite tech blog and it mentions a cool app you'd love to have.

iOS (option 1): Open iTunes; search for app; purchase/download; find iPhone and sync

iOS (option 2): Find iPhone; find app in App Store; purchase/download

Android: Link on blog goes directly to webstore Market; purchase; phone/tablet automatically downloads and installs app

The point is that with the webstore Market, Android users don't have to stray away too far away from their browsing at hand to install an app. The OTA method is like a hybrid of the iOS methods, using the best of both.

Actually, it's actually 34 major countries.

Let's not forget that when you buy an android device you don't have to plug it into a Mac or PC and sync with bloatware iTunes just to start using it.

Kind of ironic when all the apple loving media state how it can replace your laptop - indeed my parents have iPads for this precise use - yet you still have to plug it in to a conventional computer to use it
  • Reply 169 of 282
    Quote:

What is the real difference between the Google way and just using the phone itself to buy stuff (without needing a computer at all). For most folks the difference is none.

The advantage comes when you're browsing a site happen to come across a new, cool app being shown. Instead of picking your phone or tablet up, you can have the app installed with a few mouse clicks from the computer you're using already.

One of the cooler cloud sync things I've been using is Chrome-to-Phone, which is essentially the same thing. If you're using Google Maps and plan out a route, Chrome-to-Phone will send it to your Android device and automatically start up Nav and input the destination.
  • Reply 170 of 282
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Um, Apple borrow anything from android, are you kidding me ?

We are talking about the spawn of the devil that was stolen by Google, remember this piece of history ? If you are going to post, try and make yourself look un-trollish as possible please.

As I stated repeatedly there will be thousands of android handsets and tables, the differentiation will be so blurred by the multitude of screen sizes, that soon no one will know whether its an android phone or tablet.

Then there will be the 20 - 30, if not more, versions of the android OS.

So Mr. Joe public will know which one to get will he ? Will he chance on "X", hoping that it can play Angry Birds ? Imagine him sitting there waiting months for an OS update, while tens of new android crap ware have hit the market with OS version n.n.

Tell me genius boy, how is the general product going to choose ?

I think android will increase in popularity with regards to tablets (there are after all geeks out there and cheap skates), but will soon be so over super saturated with their BOGO, that they will be a blur in the eyes of the consumer, who will be soon tire of having to many choices and start buying the iPad. So in effect androids early popularity will be it's undoing.

By the way, a couple of things, is having the greater market more profitable, Apple certainly doesn't think so ($57 billion cash reserves), hight stock value and share prices, but I guess that is irrelevant right ?

Also Samsung were caught out in their lies on galaxy tabs shipped vs actual sales, the same applies to android phones, and why wouldn't it. So I question the myth of android taking over the smart phone market. I hardly see them, but always see iPhones everywhere.

No other company can or will try to make both hardware and software. Its a business strategy that yes is paying off greatly for Apple but not long ago had them at the brink of extinction. Its so much easier to use a free OS than to dump loads of cash into RD. It just wouldn't make good business sense for there to be 6-7 OSs out there. A little fragmentation is much better than total segregation.
  • Reply 171 of 282
    Is there an age limit on this site or can even eight year olds post?
  • Reply 172 of 282

Dudes are complaining about Itunes but everybody in the industry is kicking themselves for not making it..... The webstore is cool but try downloading Need for Speed or Madden that way.......And how do you back that pretty new xoom up,,,,,,,, Either plug it up to a computer or no backing up at all. A piece of software to tie everything together is a great Idea ( One Google doesn't have an answer for)!

• Reply 173 of 282
    He gives absolutely no reason for his proposition that Android Tablet will outpace IOS in 2 years. what is balanced about that?
  • Reply 174 of 282
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No other company can or will try to make both hardware and software. Its a business strategy that yes is paying off greatly for Apple but not long ago had them at the brink of extinction. Its so much easier to use a free OS than to dump loads of cash into RD. It just wouldn't make good business sense for there to be 6-7 OSs out there. A little fragmentation is much better than total segregation.

Remember Wintel, try assessing the situation here when a single software manufacturer & multiple users of that software. Eventually that will make the PC market where there is only Intel & Windows. It doesn't work for the long term. Product manufacturers should do there own inventions thats the only way market can grow forward and consumers will reward their inventions. If, a company constantly sits with a thin margin of profit then you can think that there will least investment in R&D and more on packing together things based on cost. So, that someday they will hit profitability enough that can be added to the R&D budget.

If, andriod fails to generate a significant amount of revenue for Google, it will loose interest in the charity work and cut team sizes working on them.
  • Reply 175 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The Fragmentation and App piracy will push devs away from Android. For a dev, IOS offers protection from both. So being segregated isn't all that bad.
  • Reply 176 of 282
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbg22 View Post

Dudes are complaining about Itunes but everybody in the industry is kicking themselves for not making it..... The webstore is cool but try downloading Need for Speed or Madden that way.......And how do you back that pretty new xoom up,,,,,,,, Either plug it up to a computer or no backing up at all. A piece of software to tie everything together is a great Idea ( One Google doesn't have an answer for)!

I think google wants every body to come to the web & thats the underlying agenda.

Everything else is a smoke screen, I also believe it is a preemptive strike against the upcoming 3rd party andriod stores from the likes of amazon etc.., to have people locked up with google accounts.

This fragmentation & chaos at it's best
  • Reply 177 of 282
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

The Fragmentation and App piracy will push devs away from Android.

And the world will end on 2.012
  • Reply 178 of 282
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

The webstore is cool but try downloading Need for Speed or Madden that way...

And what's the problem?
  • Reply 179 of 282
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Think of it this way. You're browsing your favorite tech blog and it mentions a cool app you'd love to have.

iOS (option 1): Open iTunes; search for app; purchase/download; find iPhone and sync

iOS (option 2): Find iPhone; find app in App Store; purchase/download

Android: Link on blog goes directly to webstore Market; purchase; phone/tablet automatically downloads and installs app

iOS (option 3): Link in browser syncs with iTunes and opens it to where you can download it directly.

I looked at a Highlights Magazine app from their website, clicked on their link and it took me to a page on Apple's site, that automatically opened iTunes for me after a dialog box came up saying the link needs to be opened with iTunes, and I gave it permission (in Windows 7)...and away we went. Try it for yourself, if you have iTunes installed:

http://www.highlights.com/apps
  • Reply 180 of 282
    Quote:

The Fragmentation and App piracy will push devs away from Android. For a dev, IOS offers protection from both. So being segregated isn't all that bad.

Both of those are things all platforms have to deal with to a certain extent.

If anything, there are more and more developers being drawn towards Android. If fragmentation and piracy were as apocalyptic as everyone here makes it out to be for Android, the developers would have fled a long, long time ago.