54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sahaj View Post

does anyone have a link to the original survey results? i wonder what the breakdown of the percentages is between the two.

Looks like the survey results are on Usamp.com
  • Reply 22 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I dunno about you other iPhone users, but when I see my BlackBerry-Wielding friends using those keyboards, my brain splits in two. I can't comprehend using such a cramped, fiddly keyboard with such an uncomfortable, unsatisfying feeling.

Well, that's beauty of choice that you get with Blackberry or Android -- if you want a physical keyboard, you can get one. If you don't, you don't have to have one (and on Android you can swap out the soft keyboard with another, like Swype). It's much nicer than being forced into The One True Way.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "to purchase the Verizon iPhone when it arrives next week?

I expect the bulk of switchers to iPhone to come later, as contracts expire. Cheaper that way!

I?d think that the early sales would be mainly to new smartphone owners, and to new Verizon smartphone owners (AT&T switchers).

Then again, my Android friends have had such mediocre experiences that they churn through new Android phones way faster than their contracts! Maybe they?re used to paying full price...
  • Reply 24 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You're right... Not open for attack and being compromised!

What are you talking about? Apple routinely patches dozens of security bugs in early iOS release. For example, here are all of the security patches in iOS 4.2 - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4456

According to the Wall St. Journal, both Android and iOs apps report private data to third parties - http://blogs.wsj.com/wtk-mobile/

Security is an issue for all mobile platforms. iOS isn't immune.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    After the long wait, I still can't get an iphone due to a last minute job change and the need of a basic phone and verizons 14 exchange I like may other long time customers are stuck waiting out a contract for up to 2 years or shelling out an extra 400 bucks FU VERIZON the phones do not cost there outrajus prices i feel a class action law suit coming on, they cost 187 to build
  • Reply 26 of 103
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    So we can all agree that DROID DID?
  • Reply 27 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know it is only one survey...but this can't be good news to RIM. The BB is starting to look stodgy, thick and "too many buttons" and RIM is looking clumsy and rudderless. Rather like MS and Google of late.

Edit: Not a criticism. Just an observation!

Most Verizon users eligible at our office are switching to the iPhone from BB. One is moving from Droid.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm tempted, but I see little reason to pay $200 for practically the same phone I already own. I'll wait for the iPhone 5.

You're right. I can't buy one now anyway, so I might as well wait for iPhone 5. If Apple does go to plastic, which they did with the 3GS, then I can buy the "cheap" one and get stainless steel and glass. I'm just hoping they keep this model around for another year and a half.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

After the long wait, I still can't get an iphone due to a last minute job change and the need of a basic phone and verizons 14 exchange I like may other long time customers are stuck waiting out a contract for up to 2 years or shelling out an extra 400 bucks FU VERIZON the phones do not cost there outrajus prices i feel a class action law suit coming on, they cost 187 to build

I probably seem like a complete idiot replying to to this, since this seems to fall under the category of "trolling just for the sake of trolling," but on the off-chance you actually mean it, here's my two cents.

First off, if there ever is a class action suit over this, I hope the lawyer has the brains to charge by the hour.

You said "FU Verizon." Good! That's well within your right as a consumer. But how exactly is charging outrageous prices grounds for a class-action lawsuit?
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why did you type edit if you wrote that all in one sitting, without having to go back and edit?

Don't know....sometimes I even reply to my own posts!
  • Reply 31 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

That $187 is the BOM cost for Apple and does not include a lot of other expenses. Verizon pays Apple over $600 per phone.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    I grow more and more concerned with our society with everyday that passes by. It's as if we are becoming a nation of sheep who want things closed off and controlled by a single entity. This is why I can't bring myself to buy an iPhone or iPad even though I've been a proud Mac owner for almost twelve years now. I'm seeing a shift towards a one-hundred percent Apple controlled system and I really hope this does not leech over into the Mac OS. If it does I will leave the platform/company and never look back. I know others within the company that also feel this way.

Seeing this many people wanting to completely ditch an open platform for one that is closed and notorious for it's over the top rules and bullshit really makes me sick. I would prefer to not be a tech-nation that is driven by the products of one company. I don't want any one entity to have that much direct influence on any given part of my day to day life, but it seems as though Apple is trying more and more everyday to creep into all of our live with more and more shit rules that we really dont need. Honestly, I'm going to violently smack the next person I hear talking about using the iPad as any kind of replacement for a standard desktop/notebook machine. This whole "I'm going to mandate what you can and can't do on your own shit because I made it" mentality is the exact opposite direction that any developing technology should be moving in.

The Mac OS will be controlled in this manor within three years and people will just lap it up because it's Apple. Mark my words.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The Verizon worship is way overboard. A backlash is coming when lofty expectations are not met.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

I grow more and more concerned with our society with everyday that passes by. It's as if we are becoming a nation of sheep who want things closed off and controlled by a single entity. This is why I can't bring myself to buy an iPhone or iPad even though I've been a proud Mac owner for almost twelve years now. I'm seeing a shift towards a one-hundred percent Apple controlled system and I really hope this does not leech over into the Mac OS. If it does I will leave the platform/company and never look back. I know others within the company that also feel this way.

Seeing this many people wanting to completely ditch an open platform for one that is closed and notorious for it's over the top rules and bullshit really makes me sick. I would prefer to not be a tech-nation that is driven by the products of one company. I don't want any one entity to have that much direct influence on any given part of my day to day life, but it seems as though Apple is trying more and more everyday to creep into all of our live with more and more shit rules that we really dont need. Honestly, I'm going to violently smack the next person I hear talking about using the iPad as any kind of replacement for a standard desktop/notebook machine. This whole "I'm going to mandate what you can and can't do on your own shit because I made it" mentality is the exact opposite direction that any developing technology should be moving in.

The Mac OS will be controlled in this manor within three years and people will just lap it up because it's Apple. Mark my words.

Such a whiny person.

Darwin is Open Source.

LLVM is Open Source.

Clang is Open Source.

WebKit is Open Source.

Everything on MacOSForge from Apple is Open Source.

The overwhelming history of Computing has NEVER BEEN OPEN SOURCE.

Open Source has augmented the markets. Where it makes sense it has been added to the business plans for corporations down to individuals.

Nothing in Android will do for Open Source what Linux itself has done for Open Source.

Without Linux where would Android be?

All of this code below is Open Source:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/

OS X 10.6.6 foundation is All there.

Quit your whining.

Apple has bent over backwards to make itself Open Source and incredibly prosperous. Too bad you can't handle it, but the World is better off with Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

We don't want junk. We're willing to pay for a quality experience. Android aint it. Windows Mobile 2 a la Google aint it.

Yes, and we'll lap it up BECAUSE it's Apple. Exactly. Precisely because it's a controlled system. Because we like an end-to-end turnkey solution that requires no work. Because we like lively yet predictable interfaces that even a 3-year old can manage in a few minutes, but which a CEO can take delight in because it saves time and is a breath of fresh air. Because we appreciate a tech company that actually pays attention to detail - down to the last pixel. Because we are willing to eschew "open" in favour of "elegant", "easy" and "convenient." Because we like tech that is meant to work for us - all of us - from kids to adults to grannies to tech-savvy to the tech-newbie. Because we like regular, uniform updates, no matter what device we have. Because we like a company that has enough respect for their OS to not allow junk-purveyors to get their hands on it.

Apple finds their market, finds their place in tech, and flourishes among the "open" options precisely because OPEN = BROKEN. There is no overarching standard with "open." No one to say "No." No one to implement any unifying vision that ties the entire ecosystem together. Android is a mess. Not all the open in the world is worth waiting for a fix, because a fix isn't coming. It can't come. Apple succeeds because they fix all this, and there is demand (in fact, substantial, unprecedented demand) to fix all this, and there always has been.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

First of all, no one is forcing anyone to buy Apple's stuff, so your histrionic handwringing over total control is ludicrous.

Secondly, your "open" platform is an advertising vehicle. If you're concerned about corporations creeping into more and more of your life, you need look no further than Google, which would like to be at the center of each and every part of your life, and use what they learn to sell you to the highest bidder.

Finally, what kind of champion of freedom feels the need to smack people for using their hardware however they want?
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Well, that's beauty of choice that you get with Blackberry or Android -- if you want a physical keyboard, you can get one. If you don't, you don't have to have one (and on Android you can swap out the soft keyboard with another, like Swype). It's much nicer than being forced into The One True Way.

Yeah, I was forced at gunpoint to choose an iPhone. It was ugly. I felt violated. If only I had a choice.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

So we can all agree that DROID DID?

More like DIDN'T.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    Quote:

You are seriously delusional and are in desperate need of professional help for your aggression towards people that CHOOSE a technology based on THEIR needs and NOT yours!

The 3 people that I bought the first iPad for, consider me... not SJ or even Apple... a godsend for steering them towards it... because it was simple and DOES EVERYTHING they want to do on a computer; desktop, laptop, netbook or any clusterf***-conglomeration there of.

You lay a hand on my parents, my nephew, or my GF... and you'll have some serious problems on your hands, besides your remorse for being a complete idiot!
  • Reply 40 of 103
    @addabox & Quadra 610:

Nice posts! ... and far better than my retort.

Sometimes I'm no better agression-wise than the people I'm ranting at.

As an ex hockey-player... please grant me some slack.

And speaking of "Puck-Heads":

looks like the odds are getting better re: my prediction that MSFT will buy RIM by the end of the year