Nokia rumored to shift toward Silicon Valley, Windows Phone 7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the European regulators would never let an American company buy Nokia. just like the Canadian regulators would never let one buy RIM either. but they both might go with a "merger" with an Asian company.

Protectionism has screwed up more European company's than anything.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

I am actually surprised that they are not going with android.

I suppose the competition will help Apple stay on it's toes and remain innovative.

if nokia chooses to go with android, they would be nothing but just another htc/motorola. then whatever this guy said in his memo went down to the drain. i am not convinced so far that android penetrated into high end market sector well as that by apple. so why does nokia has to do with android? nokia is not HTC and motorola. soon chinese cell phone makers can "crank" out android devices as fast as HTC/motorola and potential android-nokia combined together.

the only way for nokia to survive is to innovate.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    First honest description of the smartphone situation I've seen from a CEO. I would rather have this guy as CEO then Ballmer, who is confident that all is well and Windows 7 is a perfect tablet OS.

I do feel that it's too late for Nokia to create their own platform. Adopting Android would put Nokia up against Samsung and HTC, who have much better manufacturing and hardware capabilities. I guess Windows 7 is a solid choice, and could work in the medium term.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

everyone should read the full memo:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/n...honest-burnin/

combined, Nokia and MS do have plenty of ecosystem pieces. MS always has. and its enterprise ecosystem is still tops. but it has never been able to put it all together seamlessly .

Part of the reason that MS can't put it together is the result of the anti-trust case and the consent decree. Integration decisions are reviewed to see if they violate the agreement.

For example, Apple has iTunes built into the OS, MS probably could not put Zune Marketplace into the OS, as that probably would not pass muster with the reviewers, and so it is an extra download. Same with MobileMe vs. Live Essentials.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the consent decree ends in May, and MS is relatively free to do what it wishes. Has a decade of constraint and walling off of divisions really hurt them or will there be a change.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

dam, and I just sold all my Microsoft stock

You should have sold it before 2000.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It isn't horribly failed. MS just has no direction for it. MS would do better to exclusively license to one partner and build a stable platform.

Tenobell, your last three posts are on the mark. No need to further confuse the market with a Nokia Android phone. Nokia excels on the hardware front. Even the most rabid Apple-ista-fanboy can see this. They are having software problems. If nothing else, Apple has shown that great to excellent software will beat great to excellent hardware everyday.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    In retrospect it was obvious. As technology got more and more miniature, phones would become more and more like computers. At that point they would need an OS and Apps, and that requires phones to become an entire ecosystem. Apple saw it coming and was ready to pounce.

But in fairness to Nokia, a computer company was indeed more likely to see that kind of transition coming. But then heck, that's why these CEOs get paid the big bucks, because he was *supposed* to see it coming also. It's no use writing a memo *after* the fact spelling it all out, by then everybody gets it.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Protectionism has screwed up more European company's than anything.

You obviously have little clue about Finnish pride and the Finnish sense of nationalism. Nokia is FInland and Finland is Nokia. You haven't gotten the memo yet. The two are intertwined. You are talking about a country of around 5.5 million people who speak one of the most difficult languages in the world, who were kicking the shit out of the Russians until Sweden decided not to allow allied overflight rights, who have some of the best Formula One drivers in the world, ski jumpers, cross-country skiers, Lasse Viren, etc.... Finland lost part of Karelia in the war and they still cry about this during the Veterans Day celebrations. No, Nokia will not be sold to anyone. Ever.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

In retrospect it was obvious. As technology got more and more miniature, phones would become more and more like computers. At that point they would need an OS and Apps, and that requires phones to become an entire ecosystem. Apple saw it coming and was ready to pounce.

But in fairness to Nokia, a computer company was indeed more likely to see that kind of transition coming. But then heck, that's why these CEOs get paid the big bucks, because he was *supposed* to see it coming also. It's no use writing a memo *after* the fact spelling it all out, by then everybody gets it.

Elop is the new CEO only on the job since 9/10. He was hired to right the ship; I don't think you can hang past mistakes on him.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:

I see no reason for Nokia to throw in with the mess that is Android at this point.

Instant path to riches and marketshare. Just add commodity hardware.
  • Reply 51 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

You obviously have little clue about Finnish pride and the Finnish sense of nationalism. Nokia is FInland and Finland is Nokia. You haven't gotten the memo yet. The two are intertwined. You are talking about a country of around 5.5 million people who speak one of the most difficult languages in the world, who were kicking the shit out of the Russians until Sweden decided not to allow allied overflight rights, who have some of the best Formula One drivers in the world, ski jumpers, cross-country skiers, Lasse Viren, etc.... Finland lost part of Karelia in the war and they still cry about this during the Veterans Day celebrations. No, Nokia will not be sold to anyone. Ever.

Why the anti-Russian rant ?

I have been to Finland several times, had my honeymoon there, the people were very friendly and hospitable. You appear to have an issue with Russians in general, as your blurb states you are not Finish. I don't get it.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I find your comments racist and insulting and have made a formal complaint.

I suggest that you choose your words more wisely in future, that is, if you have not been banned.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    If m$ does manage to flog its poor phone OS onto Nokia, then all it will mean that android sales will be hit real hard. Apple will be immune, as they are at the high end.

Android may be okay at the high end, as its OS, although also crappy, is less crappier than m$.

So there will be a fight for an ever dwindling market share at the mid, low and underground levels, especially when the flood gates open for the el cheapo Chinese android and android forked phones.

It will be a blood bath. Who wins I don't really care, as their profits will be measured in cents per phone. I am no business expert, have a scientific background, but even to me this seems to make no business sense at all.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I find your comments racist and insulting and have made a formal complaint.

I suggest that you choose your words more wisely in future, that is, if you have not been banned.

Nothing that he said is racist. The Winter War is deeply ingrained in the Finnish psyche, especially for older generations.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Why the anti-Russian rant ?

I have been to Finland several times, had my honeymoon there, the people were very friendly and hospitable. You appear to have an issue with Russians in general, as your blurb states you are not Finish. I don't get it.

Wow. A honeymoon here? That makes you an expert I guess. Can you see Russia from your porch? Get a clue before you spout off with non-sense. I live here in Finland, work with Finns, speak to them, and know the culture. When you can say the same, then I might listen to what you have to say. Until then: MEH !!!!

Go report that as well.

P.S. Still here by the way.....
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:

LG, HTC, and Samsung care much more about Android than they do WP 7. Microsoft could buy out their contracts or exclusively license WP8 to Nokia. Either they do something radical or watch all of their effort go down in failure.

Licensing Windows Phone OS would be a total failure for them. Windows Phone is already a total flop in the marketplace. Why won't Microsoft say how many have sold to customers? The UI is horrible...text always scrolling off the screen. It lacks tons of features available on iOS and Android. It has no apps. It forces developers to use the proprietary, patent crippled Silverlight platform. Not to mention you have to get nickel and dimed to death by using Microsofts software (Windows, Visual Studio, etc...) and all the super expensive upgrades required to stay current with the version of Silverlight.

The Zune stuff is complete garbage...the software crashes all the time and is not even available for Macs. The Zune has long been dead in the marketplace, because it was just a crappy attempt at cloning iTunes.

In short, sending boatloads of money to Microsoft to be locked into Windows Phone would hasten Nokia's demise. You need your own stack to compete. You can not make money if you have to pay the Microsoft tax. You just watch Microsoft get rich while you struggle to turn any kind of profit.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Boy that was not predictable, hire and MS executive and you did not think he was not going to kill everything they did in the past and lead them down the MS golden path, oh the way Nokia engineers they reason your behind is because your not in the silicon valley, wonder how long it going take the engineers to abandon the sinking ship.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    A touch of creative licence was used to convert the quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesChoi

"For tech guys like us it might be a little bit boring after a week or two, but there are certain segments that it really appeals to. We strongly feel that it has a strong potential even though the first push wasn?t what everyone expected"

There is a lot of scepticism at the moment, but once Windows Phone 7 handsets that are mid-tier to low tier start appearing the market share will grow. Right now it?s only exclusively present in a high tier, because of its hardware requirements, and that?s limiting growth"

into the statement from this article:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

LG, which referred to the new platform as being "a bit boring" but potentially attractive to low end smartphone buyers with simple needs.

• Reply 59 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

even if Nokia + MS works, i dont see their market share getting pass single digits vs iOS and android

LOL. Nokia marketshare is double digits with the old Symbian...over iOS and a few weeks ago over Android and all the others OEM. Just imagine with WP7 and the beachhead the could open in the USA market.
  • Reply 60 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I would rather have this guy as CEO then Ballmer, who is confident that all is well and Windows 7 is a perfect tablet OS.

No he doesn't. He just pretends he does and acts vague and calls all variations of OS's they make "Windows".

What do you expect him to say? "Sorry guys I should have put this into motion two years ago... my bad!"

In any case your point is still the same and just as valid as it was before.