Rumor: Initial sales of Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 disappoint

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't think Apple has much concern about stopping or slowing the growth of Android.

If anything the more Android phones that are made the better for Apple. As Android grows it becomes a more fragmented and incoherent platform.

The more fragmented and incoherent Android becomes the better iOS looks for developers and users.

I love it when people try this game.

iOS has more fragmentation than ever. TV/streaming device, music player, iphone, ipad, etc..... The Itunes Operating System started as a music player, and it's been a stretch to adapt it to all of these devices.

In fact, the more that apple releases products, the more iOS fragmentation they will have. Now with a different IP4 on VZW, iOS just got more fragmented.
  • Reply 62 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

- Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539 Difference=370

- Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680 Diff=236

- Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471 Diff=189

- Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701 Diff=95

- Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618 Diff=93

Trend not looking good for Verizon.....5 days after their biggest launch in history, AT&T is almost back on top.

Wow, interesting number. I tend to agree with most people here that people are waiting for the iphone 5. I had a friend that needs a ipad now, but he's still waiting for version 2. I'm also in the same boat with upgrading some of my Adobe software... if the next version (CS6) is coming out in a few months, why not wait. And then if I put it off a little longer, maybe CS7 will be out...

Get the inside scoop to understanding clever exhibit booth jargon.
  • Reply 63 of 118
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think you know the answer to your question.

But I'll indulge you - the reason is because they just released one this month, and we all know the outcry that will happen when those buyers have their phone made to look old. I'm not saying it's 100%, but that's where my bet is.

How about Android based phones? It seems every day one new Android based phone is released to the market. Is there a study or news asking what the buyers feel when a new Android phone is available only a week after the purchase?
  • Reply 64 of 118
    This is such a piece of bullsh*t on the part of BGR: only 15% of those figures were ex AT&T customers, so the other 85% (about 3400 across those stores) are sales in addition to existing AT&T sales.

The only figure that matters is quarter on quarter (or week on week) subscriber growth, and by BGR's own figures that looks like nearly 100%. Pretty fuucking good if you ask me.
  • Reply 65 of 118
    Quote:

I seriously doubt Apple expected people to turn out in February for a 7 month old phone that is soon the be updated the same way the would in July for a brand new phone.

It's AT&T's fault. For no reason other than it's always AT&T's fault.
  • Reply 66 of 118
    I don't think the report is accurate - at least not in terms of saying the Verizon phone is now selling at the same levels as AT&T. Tomorrow marks a week since the initial release, yet according to this

http://labs.chitika.com/iZone/

Verizon already has 4.7% of the iPhone web traffic in the US. This is up from the 3.4% that was reported a few days ago. That means they should be in the range of 800k to a million sold thus far.
  • Reply 67 of 118
    Quote:

I seriously doubt Apple expected people to turn out in February for a 7 month old phone that is soon the be updated the same way the would in July for a brand new phone.

+1... not to mention many AT&T users are locked into their Iphone 4 contracts and paying to get out of it hurts. Why would I switch now when I can wait for the Iphone5 and get out of my contact in a few more months? I'm sure I'm not alone.
  • Reply 68 of 118
    Quote:

They keep using the initial launch of the iPhone to compare the launch of the Verizon phone. Which is a false comparison for theatrics.

The more relevant comparison would be the Verizon iPhone against other phones that Verizon currently sells. How well is it selling against those?

I noticed this too.

There are so many problems with these numbers (at least in the way they are being reported), that the data is essentially useless. They don't say which five days of which model or anything. They don't figure in time of year, product cycles, market saturation or even correct for the size of the addressable market.

It's really just another anti-Apple hype story which, in earlier times, AppleInsider would typically refrain from publishing. (that's a hint to the management)
  • Reply 69 of 118
    Am I the only one who thought predictions of long lines and massive sales were a little on the daft side? I mean, it's a product that has been out for 8 months, most potential buyers are still going to be attached to one contract or another and half of them are well-aware of Apple's release schedule for new hardware meaning many of them will wait it out for iPhone 5 (or whatever the next rev will be called.) I just don't see why anyone thought we were going to see a replay of last summer.
  • Reply 70 of 118
    I think that most Verizon customers who say they are going to switch to a iPhone when it is available are not the sort that will do it on the first day of sales. Most will wait until their contract is up for renewal. The same goes for people switching from AT&T. Most Android users I know already have an iPod Touch, so there is no big hurry to switch.

I think a better indicator of success is to look at how Android sales have declined.
  • Reply 71 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Architapier View Post

Personally, I'll be waiting for the next version of the iphone, after all it is only like March, April, May away. It'll be worth the wait, already waited this long.

Exactly. Why buy yesterday's phone when the new one is just around the corner.
  • Reply 72 of 118
    OMG! Panic! Panic! Panic! Clearly Apple is circling the drain! Sell! Sell! Sell!
  • Reply 73 of 118
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    it might be disappointing to you, but honestly the early adopter crowd is not going to queue up for something that they know for a fact will be updated in about 4 months.

same reason why no one queue for a Droid lol. there's always a new one within 2 weeks.
  • Reply 74 of 118
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

3 of my friends in the U.S. are waiting for iPhone 5

I know I am....
  • Reply 75 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Apple is Doomed.?

Certainly the dominance was doomed. That happened last year as a matter of fact.
  • Reply 76 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OMG! Panic! Panic! Panic! Clearly Apple is circling the drain! Sell! Sell! Sell!

ITS SURPRISING HOW ALMOST ALL THE POSTS GIVE CREDIT TO THIS RUMOR! Boy Wonder my foot!

Has anyone done any serious research on this guy? What´s his track record?

Maybe Boy Wonder is just another Android developer.......

Let´s wait for official sales figures instead of drawing out conclusions from a couple of unverified retail store figures........
  • Reply 77 of 118
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The differences between the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and how Apple has adapted iOS for their use is nothing close to what is happening with Android.

You can play the same games on the Verizon iPhone 4, AT&T iPhone 4, and iPad. You can plug a Verizon iPhone 4 and AT&T iPhone 4 into the same peripherals and they will work the exact same way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

I love it when people try this game.

iOS has more fragmentation than ever. TV/streaming device, music player, iphone, ipad, etc..... The Itunes Operating System started as a music player, and it's been a stretch to adapt it to all of these devices.

In fact, the more that apple releases products, the more iOS fragmentation they will have. Now with a different IP4 on VZW, iOS just got more fragmented.

• Reply 78 of 118
    Quote:

Exactly what are 17 - 20 year olds doing with Android that they find better than the iPhone? Outside of the internet I've never heard anyone care about how open or closed a phone OS is.

There are a ton of things I can tell you from my own experience, but I'm over twice as old

But I can tell you from anecdotal experience, one of the main reasons four teenage family friends bought an Android was because of keyboards. One with a physical keyboard and the others with software keyboards. All of them are using Swype. Needless to say, they text a lot. After the iPhone, I was determined to never buy another phone with just a soft keyboard. But I have a Vibrant now and use the SwiftKey keyboard. I'm constantly amazed at how eerily accurate it is in guessing the next word. The ability to have/change keyboards comes from an open system. They aren't just words you know.
  • Reply 79 of 118
    If this is true, neither Apple nor Verizon should be surprised. They would get that kind of sell through if they launched pre-holiday season. Folks are broke from all the holiday shopping in the first 3 months of the year, they bought tons of other devices over the holidays, the iPhone 4 is not a shiny new product anymore, plus the iPhone 5 is nearly upon us. Why are they disappointed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report that purports to show initial sales of the Verizon iPhone 4 claims that device's launched failed to meet the expectations of both Apple and Verizon.

Boy Genius Report cited an alleged Apple source on Wednesday in a report that claims first-week Verizon iPhone sales performed "a little under what Apple and Verizon anticipated." The source also provided figures that claim to show sales totals from five Apple stores, showing that Verizon iPhone sales by the device's fifth day of availability barely exceeded AT&T.

The figures purported to be from five Apple stores include "two very, very prominent" locations, and show in-store sales of 909 Verizon iPhones on the device's first day of availability, compared to 539 AT&T handsets. By the next Monday, the stores allegedly sold a collective total of 711 Verizon iPhone 4 models, while 618 handsets were sold on AT&T's network.

The site also claimed that online pre-orders between Verizon and Apple totaled about 550,000 units. Neither Apple nor Verizon have announced sales figures for the handset, which went on sale Feb. 10, though first-day preorders for existing Verizon customers quickly sold out. In addition, the carrier said that the iPhone 4 broke its sales records in just 2 hours.

Wednesday's report also claims that 30 percent of Verizon iPhone buyers were Android users switching to Apple's handset, while just over a quarter were coming from Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform. Just 14 percent of Verizon iPhone buyers were said to be AT&T iPhone owners switching carriers.

Apple's silence on Verizon iPhone 4 sales stands in contract to the initial debut of the iPhone 4 last June, when Apple revealed that it sold 1.7 million handsets in just the first three days of availability. This month's debut of the CDMA iPhone 4 was on just one carrier, while last year's GSM iPhone 4 was introduced in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan.

Various accounts from across the U.S. indicated that lines at Verizon and Apple stores were modest when the CDMA iPhone 4 went on sale earlier this month. RBC analyst Mike Abramsky said that checks with 40 different Verizon retail stores found that the launch was healthy but not a "blowout."

The analyst has forecast that Apple will sell one million of the Verizon iPhone 4 in its first week of availability. As of Wednesday, customers had a total of six full days to buy the handset at a retail store.

• Reply 80 of 118
    Quote:

The differences between the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and how Apple has adapted iOS for their use is nothing close to what is happening with Android.

You can play the same games on the Verizon iPhone 4, AT&T iPhone 4, and iPad. You can plug a Verizon iPhone 4 and AT&T iPhone 4 into the same peripherals and they will work the exact same way.

Seriously? You are showing this as an example of fragmentation? Seriously?