Mac OS X Lion drops Front Row, Java runtime, Rosetta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 268
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    is going to hurt. Even with all the new graphics apps, there is still nothing out there to replace Canvas and I still use it regularly.
  • Reply 22 of 268
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Just as important '~/Library' is hidden.
  • Reply 23 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

No Rosetta? There are still a good number of great PowerPC games I still like to play. Starcraft chief among them. With Starcraft II in the wild, I don't know how much motivation Blizzard would have to make a UB for the original Starcraft.

Then don't upgrade to lion. Or boot camp and have both
  • Reply 24 of 268
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

One thing that would be great is if Apple allowed a MacOS VM running under MacOS. That way we could have an older release of OSX running alongside the current release (much as I run Windows side-by-side under Parallels). That'd solve compatibility issues!

That is a very interesting question in light of Lion. Because currently you are allowed to run OS X Server VMs on top of OS X server host (using VMware, not sure about Parallels). But with Lion, OS X Server is not a separate distro, it's a checkbox in the OS X client installer! So what form will the new license take with respect to VMs I wonder?
  • Reply 25 of 268
    Quote:

No Rosetta? There are still a good number of great PowerPC games I still like to play. Starcraft chief among them. With Starcraft II in the wild, I don't know how much motivation Blizzard would have to make a UB for the original Starcraft.

Guess you'll have to dual boot into Tiger
  • Reply 26 of 268
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Why not ask them? Aspyr and Feral seem to be re-releasing old (but classic) games on the Mac App Store and they are showing as top-grossing.
  • Reply 27 of 268
    front row sucks, but nothing on the mac in place of front row sucks as well.
  • Reply 28 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Uh oh, I seem to remember Quicktime 7 requesting that Rosetta be installed before running. If so and they haven't fixed Quicktime X, I'll have to hold back from upgrading. You simply can't do quick edits in FCP/iMovie and QTX has so few features and is missing scaling, audio pasting, cutting, frame numbering etc.

I wish they wouldn't force a whole system on you before you find out if an app you rely on is any good. I guess there's not much choice with it being a system-level component though.

You scared me there. I still use Quicktime7 for its multiple export properties. I launched Q7 and checked in Activity Monitor. It's Intel which means it'll run on Lion. No Rosetta needed.
  • Reply 29 of 268
    It is good there will be an easy way to install Java as most high school programming courses are in Java. The reason - the AP Computer Science exam uses Java.
  • Reply 30 of 268
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

You scared me there. I still use Quicktime7 for its multiple export properties. I launched Q7 and checked in Activity Monitor. It's Intel which means it'll run on Lion. No Rosetta needed.

Nice! I don’t agree with Marvin on too many things, but the uselessness of QT7 for quick edits is certainly one of them.

I didn’t realize how few (10) apps I have that require Rosetta. More importantly, that I can delete each and every one of them… and probably should.

edit: And then there were none…. Once 1Password works in Lion I’ll likely be ready to make the jump.
  • Reply 31 of 268
    Quote:

Mine's Age of Empires. I think I'll just use a Windows VM to play it then.
  • Reply 32 of 268
    Good.

Both Front Row and Rosetta are quite unnecessary. Nice to see Apple cleaning up and moving forward.
  • Reply 33 of 268
    You know what I'm really missing in Lion? Reader mode in Safari.
  • Reply 34 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

You know what I'm really missing in Lion? Reader mode in Safari.

Odd that it would be absent. I imagine it would be included in a later build.
  • Reply 35 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Uh oh, I seem to remember Quicktime 7 requesting that Rosetta be installed before running. If so and they haven't fixed Quicktime X, I'll have to hold back from upgrading. You simply can't do quick edits in FCP/iMovie and QTX has so few features and is missing scaling, audio pasting, cutting, frame numbering etc.

I wish they wouldn't force a whole system on you before you find out if an app you rely on is any good. I guess there's not much choice with it being a system-level component though.

What do you think? Seriously, do you think they're going to hobble QuickTime for 10.7?
  • Reply 36 of 268
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    This is good. It will force me to get off my butt and finish converting everything I've ever done in AppleWorks 6 to Excel or Pages documents.

Even though I haven't used it to create a document in some time, it will be sad to see AppleWorks go. Probably one of my most used apps if you include the jurassic period before OS X.
  • Reply 37 of 268
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,434moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

No, I know it's Intel native but when I run it for the first time, it won't start until I install Rosetta. It's because QT components can be PPC code. I have a Maya IFF one that's PPC so it may be the case that if the components are all Universal, it won't request it but if it asks by default then Apple will need to provide an update for it to run. It also means any legacy codecs that don't already have universal components won't work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

What do you think? Seriously, do you think they're going to hobble QuickTime for 10.7?

Well, they did for 10.6. IMO QTX should have never seen the light of day until it was a suitable replacement for QT7 and they've given no indication that it will be.
  • Reply 38 of 268
    Dropping Rosetta is premature. Logic 8 for example needs Rosetta for the installer, even though it's a Universal Binary app. Quicken 2007 still hasn't been upgraded and my scanner software needs Rosetta.

This smells like Apple's "Vista" moment.
  • Reply 39 of 268
    Why is Apple doing this? All three are useful. At least I can still get Java. But as long as I need the Epson scanner and jGRASP (for school), I can't upgrade to Lion. I can't imagine why Apple doesn't at least offer Rosetta. Maybe they will later on. There's a couple other programs I can do without, but I mean, really!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

About this mac, software, applications. Scroll the list and if it says power pc....it needs rosetta.

I did this, and all but a few of the programs were either from Adobe (CS3 and CS5) or Office 2011. (Not the main apps, but within those folders. Ironic how the most expensive and bloated programs, even in the lastest version, are for Power PC.
  • Reply 40 of 268
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Good.

Both Front Row and Rosetta are quite unnecessary. Nice to see Apple cleaning up and moving forward.

Unnecessary for you, perhaps. But how would it hurt you if Rosetta were still available to those of us who want it? It wouldn't change your system - you'd never install it. But I'd like Rosetta so I could continue to use Office 2004 - I can't stomach the newer versions. And as several people have pointed out, many older printers and scanners still work perfectly fine, but their drivers have never been updated past the PPC versions.

I hope Apple will continue to make Rosetta available, or at least allow it to work if we can figure out how to load it into Lion (I'm not sure where it resides in my computer). I can still load iMovie HD into Snow Leopard, and it works, even though it's not available through Apple anymore. Come to think of it, I'm also using iTunes 8.2 in my new Snow Leopard computer. That one was a little tricky - once your music files have been loaded into itunes 9 or 10, it's a pain to go back.

I don't know - I guess I'm a sucker for older software that works better for me than the newer versions (even if they have less features).