Mac OS X Lion drops Front Row, Java runtime, Rosetta

Comments

• Reply 101 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's fine to tell people not to upgrade, but what happens when they need a new computer?

Do you really think that, in this era of faster and faster processors, people (apparently) changing their mobile phones every 6 months, Apple changing iPhone models each year, computer updates every year and OS updates about every 18 months, that anybody owning one of these hi-tech items seriously thinks that everything on it will keep working that way forever?

I bought my first Macintosh in 1984 and there is a clear pattern (and not just with Apple of course):

1) You hold on to what you have (if that's the way you do things) and, assuming it can be repaired should a problem arise, you stay with it, updating the OS, the RAM perhaps & other peripherals and software where possible. Eventually, there will come a point where you have no choice but to cease updating your OS, other applications and/or hardware because the new offerings are incompatible with what you are still using and you simply carry on with what you have.

OR

2) You buy a new Mac (or iDevice or whatever) that will support the new OS, apps and/or hardware. After X years, you will find yourself at point 1 above. Rinse and repeat.

Anyone who expects things to be different will be in for a rude awakening at some point down the line.

Thus it has always been and thus it will continue for quite a few years until the oil gets so expensive and much less available that we realise that we can't keep discarding (really, incredibly complex and resource intensive) pieces of kit every year or so and getting a shiny new one that we then discard 12 months later. I don't think this cycle will change until that point is reached, which is probably no more than 15 years away at most I'd reckon.

That's my take anyway. As I said in another thread: "If it works, it's obsolete"
  • Reply 102 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

You know what I'm really missing in Lion? Reader mode in Safari.

If this is true it's a major problem. I've come to rely on this feature and seriously don't know how to do on-line research without it.
  • Reply 103 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

You lost a lot of Mac credibility points with that bonehead remark. Quicken 2007 was the last Mac version before the steaming pile of crap they call Quicken Essentials. You are right, that's not Apple's fault. But Apple should have an interest in making sure their customers are taken care of. They can't seem to get the Quicken CEO, who freakin' sits on Apple's board, to get off his ass and make a decent piece of software for Macs.

But he's not Intuit's CEO anymore, 'just' Chairman of the Board (Brad Smith is CEO)

(http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html)

http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit...om/fast_facts/

IT nerdy response from me; your point is definitely taken.

edit: just read that the guy is the founder of Claris (well, sort of). Learn something everyday.

http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit...l_campbell.jsp
  • Reply 104 of 268
    I'm staying with friends here in Japan, and just last night I hooked my Mac up to their TV and used Front Row to show them a bunch of pictures, then demoed the movie trailer and other functions and they were quite impressed that all this comes with every Mac.

I've never gotten Boxee to work right. The audio slowly drifts out of sync with the video.

And I loved using an Apple Remote to surreptitiously bring up Front Row on Macs at trade shows and suddenly have them showing the owner's personal photos!
  • Reply 105 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's fine to tell people not to upgrade, but what happens when they need a new computer?

I suspect the install DVD with the OS from your 'old' Mac would work on a new Mac.
  • Reply 106 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

I'm staying with friends here in Japan, and just last night I hooked my Mac up to their TV and used Front Row to show them a bunch of pictures, then demoed the movie trailer and other functions and they were quite impressed that all this comes with every Mac.

I've never gotten Boxee to work right. The audio slowly drifts out of sync with the video.

And I loved using an Apple Remote to surreptitiously bring up Front Row on Macs at trade shows and suddenly have them showing the owner's personal photos!

A non-Apple solution _could_ be VLC. There's a media player for the Mac and a remote for the iDevice (http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/vlc-r...299344206?mt=8)
  • Reply 107 of 268
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Please AppleInsider, stop using the pointless and irritating business jargon "going forward". It adds no useful meaning to the sentence. Until someone invents a time machine, all we can do is go forwards! You've used it twice in one article.
  • Reply 108 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I think Quicken is the only PPC app I still use regularly. If only Intuit would get off their butts...

Microsoft Query as part of MS Office 2011 for Mac is listed as a Power PC App. That's messed up.
  • Reply 109 of 268
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I'll miss Front Row. I find it useful on my iMac.

what actually is the purpose of Front Row when viewing movies?
  • Reply 110 of 268
    I don't really think it's a bad thing, after all upgrading is optional not a requirement. It's Apple's way to continue their forward thinking and keeping the base code as light as possible. One of the benifits that I have enjoyed with Mac is the stablility that it offers, and this is because (in my opinion) of the fact that Apple is willing to drop support for older hardware and software.

As we have seen in other OS's legacy support can cause a multitude of problems. And I'm not just talking about Microsoft, if I could get Linus to remove the legacy support for his old Ham Radio out of the Linux Kernel I would not have to build my own Kernels (Just and example).

Paul

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Why is Apple doing this? All three are useful. At least I can still get Java. But as long as I need the Epson scanner and jGRASP (for school), I can't upgrade to Lion. I can't imagine why Apple doesn't at least offer Rosetta. Maybe they will later on. There's a couple other programs I can do without, but I mean, really!

I did this, and all but a few of the programs were either from Adobe (CS3 and CS5) or Office 2011. (Not the main apps, but within those folders. Ironic how the most expensive and bloated programs, even in the lastest version, are for Power PC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Dropping Rosetta is premature. Logic 8 for example needs Rosetta for the installer, even though it's a Universal Binary app. Quicken 2007 still hasn't been upgraded and my scanner software needs Rosetta.

This smells like Apple's "Vista" moment.

• Reply 111 of 268
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    I will miss FrontRow. I hope they include an updated version in the final product or upgrade iTunes to include the functionality!
  • Reply 112 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Please AppleInsider, stop using the pointless and irritating business jargon "going forward". It adds no useful meaning to the sentence. Until someone invents a time machine, all we can do is go forwards! You've used it twice in one article.

Seconded! From Brighton ...

I've hardly seen a sentence where the removal of those two words would make any difference to its sense. Those where it might, they can be replaced with the time honoured and perfectly adequate "in future" if that needs to be emphasised. Who is it that keeps introducing stupid phrases such as this that are the linguistic equivalent of junk food? \
  • Reply 113 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

If this is true it's a major problem. I've come to rely on this feature and seriously don't know how to do on-line research without it.

Reader is still there.. Though it doesn't work on AI anymore.

It's not based on a change in word count, because even short posts on engadget show the Reader button..
  • Reply 114 of 268
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

is going to hurt. Even with all the new graphics apps, there is still nothing out there to replace Canvas and I still use it regularly.

For me the big issue is loss of Canvas. While I think I can find a Canvas replacement, I have 20 years of Canvas files that cannot be read with other software. A lot of work went into those files and, as with draw programs, many components can be reused.

A few solutions:

1. someone writes a rosetta replacement.

2. dual boot

3. (dread) buy the windows version of Canvas and run under windows (but I'm doubtful it will open all old files).

Best Solution: A canvas replacement that can read old canvas files.
  • Reply 115 of 268
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Rosetta huh.. Finally have to get a native OSX app to running that old trustworthy epson scanner, it seems.

Try VueScan - unless it is a SCSI device - which is about the only thing I have run across that VueScan cannot handle.
  • Reply 116 of 268
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    No more Diablo II... darn :P
  • Reply 117 of 268
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I think Quicken is the only PPC app I still use regularly. If only Intuit would get off their butts...

They have - and replaced it with Quicken Essentials - which I tried - but so far do not like the redesigned interface - or the way the data conversion decided to ignore a bunch of entries - making the converted data set unusable - and with 57 accounts in my data file - at least half of which are still active accounts - a manual conversion process is daunting.
  • Reply 118 of 268
    It's funny, but ever since 10.2 (when I switched), I've been really excited about every new release of OS X - even Snow Leopard because of the huge performance gains it gave Intel machines.

For the first time I'm not excited. Not only that, but actually not sure about this release. It seems to be dumbing down the OS - I honestly don't want me computer to be like an iOS device. I like my iPad for being an iPad... and I like my Mac for being, well, a Mac.
  • Reply 119 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

They have - and replaced it with Quicken Essentials - which I tried - but so far do not like the redesigned interface - or the way the data conversion decided to ignore a bunch of entries - making the converted data set unusable - and with 57 accounts in my data file - at least half of which are still active accounts - a manual conversion process is daunting.

Give this a try:

http://scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/

It's 10x better than Quicken Essentials.
  • Reply 120 of 268
    I have made the transition to the Intel universe while still maintaining several PowerPC laptops. The absence of Rosetta in Lion is a big problem so my personal view is, No Rosetta, No Lion for me!