Mac OS X Lion drops Front Row, Java runtime, Rosetta

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 268
    Anyone thinking we have a chance for a rosetta HACK or something?

Do you believe 10.6 is the definetly last System to Run Freehand?
  • Reply 262 of 268
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graubereich View Post

Anyone thinking we have a chance for a rosetta HACK or something?

That's not how Rosetta works.
  • Reply 263 of 268
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

The latest version of Quicken (quicken essentials) will run on Lion.

Yes - but there has been discussion that it is not a feature equivalent replacement for Quicken 2007. It took me a few weeks to get used to Quicken Essentials - but so far it does everything I need it to do. One of the challenges I ran into was that the data conversion process doesn't work quite right in cases where you import a check book for example that has payments to accounts which have been closed - so I had two choices - go through and clean all that stuff manually or choose only to import the most recent data or start clean and setup everything new.

I used Quicken Bill pay for about 10 years - which was convenient - but now that my bank does that for free I am saving $9.95 a month - and while I do currently enter stuff twice (once in QE11 and again on the bank website) I *could* do it on the bank website then wait till the transaction is posted and import data from the bank to QE - but I prefer to keep QE loaded with stuff a month in advance for planning purposes.

I did have to upgrade QuickBooks already to use with 10.6.x as the older version I had wasn't working properly - especially when printing invoices.
  • Reply 264 of 268
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's not how Rosetta works.

How it works seems irrelevant here. I can easily see something reverse engineering or tweaking the Rosetta code to get it to work on Lion for PPC apps. It seems like it would be a lot easier than what WINE is trying to accomplish.
  • Reply 265 of 268
    Plex destroys Front Row, and it streams beautifully to other devices.
  • Reply 266 of 268
    Hopefully any Developer can make a Rosetta installer or anything like this.....

I would like to change to lion - but Freehand is an application i daily need.....
  • Reply 267 of 268
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Sheep Shaver still works under 10.7

Weird that MS Office 2011 had to be reinstalled on my Mini - but then maybe the fact that I ran Office 2008 as a test threw it off for some reason.

I tend to keep many versions of apps around since I work on computers for many other folks and ya just never know what you are going to run into.

http://oldapps.com/ is a good website to have - of course the ability to run the old software helps too.
  • Reply 268 of 268
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1817675]The latest developer release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion excludes support for Rosetta (used to run PowerPC code on Intel Macs), Front Row, and Oracle's Java runtime, although Apple includes a mechanism to automatically download an updated Java runtime for Lion.

/QUOTE]

Rosetta and other PowerPC can be used with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and recent machines. Here is a ridiculous solution:

Install Paralles Desktop.

Install Snow Leopard Server Version.

Here you can run Rosetta and old friends.

Now this is slightly off the top.

It may be a strategic decision from Apple to drop Rosetta. There is no technical need for this, but little hope for help from Apple.

Parallels: May be you can provide a light-weight solution to keep Rosetta alive as long as it is feasible???