Apple's iPad 2 prompts Samsung to improve 'inadequate' parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1

Comments

• Reply 181 of 222
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Shameful. Why is only one company coming up with all the ideas?

Funny enough, the only company coming close to what Apple has done with the iPad is HP.
  • Reply 182 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For some people it is more than a toy -- it is the gateway to communication, and much, much more...

While I'd agree the pad is anything to anyone, his comment holds water. Just look at the top apps.
  • Reply 183 of 222
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felipur View Post

All major manufacturers have access to roughly equivalent hardware at roughly equivalent pricing. A cortex A9 is going to be roughly the same as an A5 or a Tegra 2.

Be careful in being so superficial. The A4 and A5 are just as significant for what they don't have for as much as they do have. This is where size, weight and battery life really start to become significant.
  • Reply 184 of 222
    spec1spec1 Posts: 2member
    ust want to put it out here, I am not a 'fanboy.' I actually believe that Android Honeycomb is a brilliant OS also. But, at the moment it still has plenty of kinks and bugs that has yet to be worked out and the UI needs a little more polish too. I believe that Google and their Android engineering team with Matias Duarte et al. will not disappoint over the next few months.

Google, think out of the box here, I know you do. But, why don't you actually design and build your OWN Android Tablet(s) and mobile Smartphone(s) from ground on up, start to finish. You only need one or two models of each. Hire the industrial design team that you need. Use an OEM like Foxconn or similar (a la Apple.) There you have total control to fully optimize your HARDWARE & SOFTWARE (again, a la Apple, Inc) Forget about, It's not our model, It's not our focus. Google, you my friends, are leaving the bread, the turkey, the milk and eggs & we can't forget the veggies, ALL ON THE TABLE!!!!

Trust me, all of your current OEM partners (Samsung, HTC, Motorola etc.) will STILL remain on board. They have nothing right now, and are riding and dependent on your coattails. Apple, Inc. makes ONE! iPhone per year and have sold 100 MILLION UNITS plus, in the last 4 years! Look, Apple, Inc. (AAPL) & Research in Motion (RIMM) both fully control their Hardware & their Software and both have approximately 27% EACH of the smartphone market. You will still be the largest search/advertising vehicle in the world. Just add another revenue stream to your portfolio. Google, just do it! It helps make this technological space more interesting & fun for us all. I would buy a Google made and optimized product any day. Google, just do it!!!
  • Reply 185 of 222
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spec1 View Post

Google, you should make your own HAREWARE too!

• Reply 186 of 222
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

But, why don't you actually design and build your OWN Android Tablet(s) and mobile Smartphone(s) from ground on up, start to finish. You only need one or two models of each.

Maybe because Google hasn't got the first clue about not only designing hardware but sourcing parts for it, assembling it, shipping it and then marketing and selling it?

Quote:

Google, just do it!!!

Just because Apple makes it look easy doesn't mean that it is.

Microsoft "just did it" with the Zune. That worked fabulously for them
  • Reply 187 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

As for Flash, I just don?t get it. How much time does Adobe need to get Flash working right? It?s March 2011 and yet the original iPhone was vilified in January 2007 for not having Flash, which Adobe said back then would be easy for them to make if Apple would ?let them?. So why don?t they have this on the ready? Why aren?t they working closer with Android the way they are working with Chrome which has it integrated into the browser and OS?

Let me come at this last point from a different angle. Why is Flash already ready for evil and closed Mac OS X when they update it yet isn?t ready for open Android OS system? Something just isn?t jiving with Adobe and Android.

I'll take this one step further. If Adobe's position is that Flash is so great on a mobile platform, that it's an easy port, and that evil Apple won't 'let them', then why don't they put their money where their mouth is?

What's stopping them from running Flash on a jailbroken iPod, iPhone, or iPad? C'mon, Adobe: show the world that the performance doesn't suck, that Flash doesn't destabilize the platform, that the UI is useable, and that the battery life doesn't go down the tubes. Do the demo at one of the big shows, in front of the press, and fill YouTube with a bunch of videos proving the point.

Yeah, there's something funny going on. I suspect mobile Flash isn't happening... because they can't do it.
  • Reply 188 of 222
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

While I'd agree the pad is anything to anyone, his comment holds water. Just look at the top apps.

I'm sorry, his comments do not hold water ... unless he would qualify them by saying "to him, the ipad is a toy".

Secondly, just because the most popular selling apps are games, that does not turn the iPad into a toy. If my friends and I all bought electric 4 wheel scooters, like the ones that handicapped people need to get around on ...... but we used them to play polo with ..... does that turn them into a toy? Obviously not ..... it only makes them a toy to us. Can you not see the distinction? ..... Extremeskater keeps on saying that the iPad is a toy ..... because that's what he uses it for.

To put it simply .... Apple has designed a device that has a place in a lot of areas .... work, relaxation, entertainment and many others. To brush it off as just a "toy" shows a gross misunderstanding of what it is .... or a deliberately lame attempt to bring it down to the level where it's competitors might be closer to competing with it. But that's what trolls do, so I shouldn't be surprised by it. I guess I'm still waiting for his self-stated "honesty" to be reflected in his postings. Oh well, another time, perhaps.
  • Reply 189 of 222
    Quote:

ust want to put it out here, I am not a 'fanboy.' I actually believe that Android Honeycomb is a brilliant OS also. But, at the moment it still has plenty of kinks and bugs that has yet to be worked out and the UI needs a little more polish too. I believe that Google and their Android engineering team with Matias Duarte et al. will not disappoint over the next few months.

Google, think out of the box here, I know you do. But, why don't you actually design and build your OWN Android Tablet(s) and mobile Smartphone(s) from ground on up, start to finish. You only need one or two models of each. Hire the industrial design team that you need. Use an OEM like Foxconn or similar (a la Apple.) There you have total control to fully optimize your HARDWARE & SOFTWARE (again, a la Apple, Inc) Forget about, It's not our model, It's not our focus. Google, you my friends, are leaving the bread, the turkey, the milk and eggs & we can't forget the veggies, ALL ON THE TABLE!!!!

Trust me, all of your current OEM partners (Samsung, HTC, Motorola etc.) will STILL remain on board. They have nothing right now, and are riding and dependent on your coattails. Apple, Inc. makes ONE! iPhone per year and have sold 100 MILLION UNITS plus, in the last 4 years! Look, Apple, Inc. (AAPL) & Research in Motion (RIMM) both fully control their Hardware & their Software and both have approximately 27% EACH of the smartphone market. You will still be the largest search/advertising vehicle in the world. Just add another revenue stream to your portfolio. Google, just do it! It helps make this technological space more interesting & fun for us all. I would buy a Google made and optimized product any day. Google, just do it!!!

Hardy-har-har-har!

Apple grasps the simple fact that design is the key in the tablet (and mobile) space. Expecting Google to grasp anything about design is like expecting a flatworm to learn to play the guitar!

Have you ever used Google on a computer? You can feel the (lack of) design of their webpage sucking the juice out of your eyeballs. Using a Google tablet would be like sitting in Hell's waiting room reading a 50-year-old magazine!

Google, forsooth!
  • Reply 190 of 222
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    The funniest thing about these "iPad is a toy" comments is that there is probably no other technology device that has been so rapidly accepted by enterprise.

Much of the growth of the iPad over the next several years will be from corporate buyers, governments, schools, etc. Watch for an astounding number of graduate schools this fall issuing iPads to incoming students.

This is pretty much a no-brainer in the financial services sector. There are two or three medical applications that need to be optimized for the iPad, but when they are available, you will see massive adoption by the health services industry. There are already doctors clamoring their IT departments to hook up their personal devices to their hospital IT infrastructure. Doctors tend to be IT technophobes, so this activity is highly unusual.

Government will eventually figure this out as well. There is a huge amount of money/time/resources spent in paper document distribution. Everything is digitized anyhow and filed into document retrieval systems. Better to push out electronic docs rather than fire up the copy center for two days so the courier service can drive around town dropping off piles of paper.
  • Reply 191 of 222
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Not really. It means all of these Android clones will race to the bottom and not make any money, and some will go out of business, or abandon it, just like in the PC market. Did that really create a lot of "improved products" in the PC arena at "better pricing"? NO - just a lot of cheap crappy ones.

Regardless of what Apple does many android clones will be in a race to the bottom.
  • Reply 192 of 222
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

I would not count on that. The unibody technology is a lot more than what you see in the videos. If Apple really machined the entire slab of Aluminium away to create the thin shell, their costs would be prohibitively high. They use a secret process to first create the basic shell from the slab, and then machine that basic shell to the finished shell.

The crucial part is in how they create the basic shell out - this is done without destroying the remaining part of the slab, so that other smaller components can be created out if the remaining slab. How do we know Apple does this? There is a video where Jon Ive shows how a slab of Aluminium creates an iMac case and two keyboards. If Apple used a destructive machining process how can they get two keyboard cases as well?

Just think of what is required here. If you have a block of wood that is 6x6x6 inches, and you want to cut out a 5x5x5 block from it, and be left with a 6x6x6 block having a 5x5x5 hole, how would you do it? It is this part of the unibody process that stops others from coming out with unibody design.

If it was just a simple machining process, there would be dozens of other companies that have unibody designs, right?

Believe me, Apple is not really exploiting the unibody texhnology fully - simply because they have more lucrative things to do. If they license unibody technology, just that will get them billions in revenues. This is a technology that can revolutionize several industries.

Good post always thought that the videos where not right. . They must be using every single piece that gets cut out into several products.
  • Reply 193 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

I would not count on that. The unibody technology is a lot more than what you see in the videos. If Apple really machined the entire slab of Aluminium away to create the thin shell, their costs would be prohibitively high. They use a secret process to first create the basic shell from the slab, and then machine that basic shell to the finished shell.

The crucial part is in how they create the basic shell out - this is done without destroying the remaining part of the slab, so that other smaller components can be created out if the remaining slab. How do we know Apple does this? There is a video where Jon Ive shows how a slab of Aluminium creates an iMac case and two keyboards. If Apple used a destructive machining process how can they get two keyboard cases as well?

Just think of what is required here. If you have a block of wood that is 6x6x6 inches, and you want to cut out a 5x5x5 block from it, and be left with a 6x6x6 block having a 5x5x5 hole, how would you do it? It is this part of the unibody process that stops others from coming out with unibody design.

If it was just a simple machining process, there would be dozens of other companies that have unibody designs, right?

Believe me, Apple is not really exploiting the unibody texhnology fully - simply because they have more lucrative things to do. If they license unibody technology, just that will get them billions in revenues. This is a technology that can revolutionize several industries.

What is it with Apple sycophants? Are you all brainwashed in some giant Apple secret facility somewhere or do just visit the genius bar and the guy smiles and says "just hold still for a second, this wont hurt" and then shoves a an ultrasonic ablater up a nostril and proceeds to liquify the parts of the brain required for independent thought and critical thinking?

'Secret process' !!!!! I wonder if that might involve something like pre forming using an extrusion press? From comments by some machinists discussing the subject:

Quote:

On your left are billets in font of the extrusion press and on your right a pile of ingots

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...rocess-166892/

The whole process described: http://www.manufacturelink.com.au/ne...g-process.aspx

I have an original unibody Macbook, it is very well made and I admire the engineering that went in to it, but I am not going to start genuflecting towards Cuppertino and assume it was made with Alien tech that leaked from Area 51.

Apple may use state of the art production processes, but that doesn't mean they invented them.

I swear if Apple were to make an electric car there would be posters on here jumping up and down declaring Apple invented the wheel and the battery.
  • Reply 194 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It is just a big iPod Touch. I still hold to that comment. Unlike many of you I like the iPad because it is a toy. Listen to music, play games, surf the net and watch videos. If I wanted to do something productive I have to use a MBP because the iPad simply does not support the software I use. Which is the case for most people.

Mouse I am the as honest as they get because unlike you I just don't walk around sucking Steve Jobs nut sack. You are a bias fanboy wuss which doesn't make you honest. Just because you love everything that Apple makes and bash everything else doesn't make you honest in fact it's quite the opposite.

People like you bash Google, Microsoft and everyone else when 99% of the time you haven't even touched their products or services. That doesn't make you honest. At least when I have something negative to say I make an effort to use the product first. My opinion of the iPad still stand its a toy.

Just because it has sold to millions doesn't mean its some great productivity device. If its such a great educational tool like Steve Jobs says then why doesn't it get an educational discount like all other Apple products that are seen as educational tools? Love to hear your answer on that one.

You are one of the most bias people on this forum it's beyond a joke for you to try and call anyone else out on being honest.

Whats your definition of productive ?

To a child, painting on an iPad is amazingly creative and productive.

Being productive ? Can mean lots of things, being more productive at work for example, or simply creating something where there wasn't anything there before, creating something.

People like you always mention that its a toy and a consumption device, do you honestly believe that ? Have you NEVER created anything on your iPad ? I bet you have. To say you can do certain things on a laptop/desktop that you can't do on a iPad, does not mean the iPad is diminished in anyway, it simply implies that the others are more powerful and designed to be used in that way.

You really need to step back and reconsider your views, as they appear to be from someone who has issues that are impacting their ability to think straight.

Lets look at it in another light, my child runs the app for the Solar System, gets thrilled, and talks about this at school, does a hand-written project. Have they been creative ? Yes, the project was not created on the iPad (although it can be very easily, but I want to highlight the fact that it wasn't). I ask again, has that person been creative (i.e. productive).

See if you start looking at things in a different light, a whole new world opens up to you.

If you watched the iPad 2 presentation, at the end Steve Jobs explains that technology in itself is not enough. This cannot be any truer, just imagine how boring and grey our lives would be if it was. Technology is simply the vehicle that allows us to reach to our full potentials.

Missing out on doing your Excel on the iPad is not the end of the world.
  • Reply 195 of 222
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Maybe because Google hasn't got the first clue about not only designing hardware but sourcing parts for it, assembling it, shipping it and then marketing and selling it?

I cite this as the biggest reason I want Google to enter the hardware business.
  • Reply 196 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'm sorry, his comments do not hold water ... unless he would qualify them by saying "to him, the ipad is a toy".

Secondly, just because the most popular selling apps are games, that does not turn the iPad into a toy. If my friends and I all bought electric 4 wheel scooters, like the ones that handicapped people need to get around on ...... but we used them to play polo with ..... does that turn them into a toy? Obviously not ..... it only makes them a toy to us. Can you not see the distinction? ..... Extremeskater keeps on saying that the iPad is a toy ..... because that's what he uses it for.

To put it simply .... Apple has designed a device that has a place in a lot of areas .... work, relaxation, entertainment and many others. To brush it off as just a "toy" shows a gross misunderstanding of what it is .... or a deliberately lame attempt to bring it down to the level where it's competitors might be closer to competing with it. But that's what trolls do, so I shouldn't be surprised by it. I guess I'm still waiting for his self-stated "honesty" to be reflected in his postings. Oh well, another time, perhaps.

You would have thought it was clear he was stating his own opinion - his whole paragraph was about his ownership of an iPad. There's no need for him to qualify anything, stop being so defensive. Your example with scooters is plenty off the mark too.
  • Reply 197 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

You would have thought it was clear he was stating his own opinion - his whole paragraph was about his ownership of an iPad. There's no need for him to qualify anything, stop being so defensive. Your example with scooters is plenty off the mark too.

His comments across multiple threads about the device itself being a toy are quite clear. His usage patterns are just his anecdotal evidence of why its a toy, but he clearly stated that the iPad is, in itself, without question, nothing but a toy.
  • Reply 198 of 222
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For some people it is more than a toy -- it is the gateway to communication, and much, much more:

http://www.proloquo2go.com/About/article/ipad

My daughter was given an iPad with this application, effectively replacing a clumsy, windows-based tablet. Unfortunately, she died before realizing its potential.
  • Reply 199 of 222
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimt View Post

My daughter was given an iPad with this application, effectively replacing a clumsy, windows-based tablet. Unfortunately, she died before realizing its potential.

Waited a year and a quarter for an opportunity to post this downer comment?
  • Reply 200 of 222
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I'm not going to quote you, T.SKILL, because I think you might want to reconsider, out of some sympathy for the loss of his daughter. And I will delete this if you revise or delete your post.

Anyway, the point that Dick Appelbaum and jimt are making is much more interesting than your take on what he said. The handheld, big-screen, keyboardless computer is a serious amplification of our ability to understand and communicate. This ain't playing with toys or consuming content.