Apple's iPad 2 prompts Samsung to improve 'inadequate' parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1

Comments

• Reply 201 of 222
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'm not going to quote you, T.SKILL, because I think you might want to reconsider, out of some sympathy for the loss of his daughter. And I will delete this if you revise or delete your post.

I'm curious and confused is all. It's hard to see something like that being posted without explanation. I wish to hear his testimony.
  • Reply 202 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm curious and confused is all. It's hard to see something like that being posted without explanation. I wish to hear his testimony.

Testimony? You?re confused?
  • Reply 203 of 222
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

His comments across multiple threads about the device itself being a toy are quite clear. His usage patterns are just his anecdotal evidence of why its a toy, but he clearly stated that the iPad is, in itself, without question, nothing but a toy.

Thank you.
  • Reply 204 of 222
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I think you're suffering some boundary issues. Your comments are inappropriate.
  • Reply 205 of 222
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Waited a year and a quarter for an opportunity to post this downer comment?

Sorry...didn't intend the comment to be such a downer. And, no, I didn't wait a year and a quarter for the opportunity. I waited 5 days.

My only intent was to point out that the iPad isn't just for fun and game. But, when she wasn't using the Proloque2go program, she loved to play her Fruit Ninja game

Again, my apologies
  • Reply 206 of 222
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimt View Post

Sorry...didn't intend the comment to be such a downer. And, no, I didn't wait a year and a quarter for the opportunity. I waited 5 days.

My only intent was to point out that the iPad isn't just for fun and game. But, when she wasn't using the Proloque2go program, she loved to play her Fruit Ninja game

Again, my apologies

Sorry for your loss. You and your family have my deepest sympathies. God bless.
  • Reply 207 of 222
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    It's unlikely that I'll buy another iPad after my experience with iPad 1.0. However I'm happy that iPad 1.5 will pressurize Android tablet manufacturers to drop the prices. The iPad at $400 is too expensive for what it does. But if I can get wifi Android devices with Honeycomb for around $350-$400, it will be worth the money. At the moment the Nook Color (barely a tablet) and the Notion Ink Adam are the only two tablets that provide value for money. The Samsung Tab and Xoom provide even less value for money than the iPad.
  • Reply 208 of 222
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

My daughter was given an iPad with this application, effectively replacing a clumsy, windows-based tablet. Unfortunately, she died before realizing its potential.

Sorry for your loss -- she is in a better place.

We, as a family, bought this app to help support the company that builds apps for the disadvantaged -- we have no personal use, but the app impresses everyone who sees it.

It is amazing to sit a (non-disadvantaged) young child (or adult) down with the app and tell them that they lost their voice and must use the app to communicate.

It really changes your POV and appreciation for the basic ability to communicate.

“I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man who had no feet.”

Best

Edit:

For those who would try to understand, here are three movies -- if you watch them, you'll never forget them:

Black (2005)

Children of a Lesser God (1986)

Temple Grandin (TV 2010)

• Reply 209 of 222
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Apple may use state of the art production processes, but that doesn't mean they invented them.

They may not invent allot of things, but they make them practical and in a form that has mass appeal.

Inventing is one thing. Delivering something that is useable and has mass appeal is an entirely different thing. Judging by their financial stats, the mass appeal thing is pretty flipping important.
  • Reply 210 of 222
    Quote:

I cite this as the biggest reason I want Google to enter the hardware business.

To watch it sink them as a company?
  • Reply 211 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

To watch it sink them as a company?

*sage nod*
  • Reply 212 of 222
    Quote:

*sage nod*

I don't think that even Google is that stupid.

Perhaps if Oracle hadn't bought Sun they might have had the hubris to try.. but I think now Google suspects that Android has a 50% chance at being a total loss. I think they honestly thought they were going to take over with Chrome OS based netbooks and therefore didn't really take Android, Sun patent threats or tablets too seriously.

I wonder now if Steve didn't let Eric see the iPhone while holding the iPad back. Steve admits they started with the iPad first, but released the iPhone first.

I think these past three years will go down as the most significant in the personal electronics industry. It's clear Apple has a master plan and is executing against it superbly. It's almost as if they had an embarrassing defeat in a similar platform war and had a few years to plan how not to screw the "next big thing" up
  • Reply 213 of 222
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Dude really thats the best comeback you have? Maybe something with a bit more humor?

I mean really Shock Wave Flash. Yeah thats really high tech. Glad your mom finally got you that copy of CS5.

what the hell do you think a flash file is man? interactive flash files are .swfs.

There is no humor associated with my answer, it's the truth which you refuse to acknowledge. You can use flash buttons with touch-based systems.

Since you can not answer my question without sarcasm and ignoring what I have said means you really are a troll and you have no informed answers.

Fandroids are screaming that flash 10.1 works on mobile devices. Yea that is true in theory, but there is zero interactivity functionality when you are dealing touch-based systems.
  • Reply 214 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I?m sure certain people will post that Tab and other tablets are better because they have a slightly higher PPI, but note that PPI is only one metric for determining the readability of a display and usability of the entire device. I think the Tab only has a whooping 30 more PPI so it?s not exactly something you?ll notice (same goes for those saying the iPhone 4?s display is the best solely because its 326ppi beats newer smartphones with 280ppi). Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 even use an IPS panel or another more advanced panel type for improved viewing angles, color accuracy, or have a good backlight compared to the iPad?

These things may not seem important until you see how much better it is. It?s like those that say they don?t need a luxury car because their cheap car does the same basic ?job? of getting them from point A to point B, except that Apple?s luxury product is cheaper than the other junkers trying to be pushed down our thoughts.

And then there is Android. I think Honeycomb is coming along nicely but it?s too open for developers and vendors and not open in the right way for consumers. They aren?t creating an ecosystem, they?re creating a cesspool.

Check this situation out: This is flat out scary... and devestating to the android community.

"Malware on Android Market ★

Aaron Gingrich, for Android Police:

Openness ? the very characteristic of Android that makes us love it ? is a double-edged sword. Redditor lompolo has stumbled upon a perfect example of that fact; he?s noticed that a publisher has taken ?? 21 popular free apps from the market, injected root exploits into them and republished.? The really scary part? ?50k-200k downloads combined in 4 days.?

Uh-oh:

There?s another APK hidden inside the code, and it steals nearly everything it can: product ID, model, partner (provider?), language, country, and userID. But that?s all child?s play; the true pièce de résistance is that it has the ability to download more code. In other words, there?s no way to know what the app does after it?s installed, and the possibilities are nearly endless."
  • Reply 215 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

how do you use flash with any interactivity on touch-based system? how do you reconcile the on(states). Touch is not the same as mouse/stylus input.

It is a GREAT thing Flash will NEVER be on the iPad. If you have seen it "run" on other mobile phones you can see why it should never be on an apple device. Flash was designed in a different era and will only be useful on desktops/laptops. It's pointless to have a multi-touch system for software that only designed around a single-input.

Why do you think even Adobe has abandoned the public fight with Apple? Cause it was a matter of time before flash developers (like myself) would question why Adobe is even trying to win this debate. Steve was being gracious when he discussed Flash on the iPad. The fact of matter remains, all flash programming designed around the 4 button on() states will never work with touch-enable systems. Flash needs a minimum of 3 states for button interaction and can only target one input, even though they can be pressed in rapid succession. With gestures, its completely different.

Adobe even gave up with Flash mobile 10.1, most people still do not have it, that can "use" it. How long did it take to ship? Almost 2 years and it is not even done well. Even the XOOM ships without flash. After the HUGE EFFING DEAL, all the android/tech users made about flash you would think ADOBE would have gotten their ducks in a row. There also is no getting around flash's bandwidth liability and it's security risk that can not be patched.

Adding to your excellent description of the Flash issues ... I noted that it is a battery hog as well ... instead of 10 hours of delightful use, maybe 1-2 hours. Same for 4G. Phone users are finding it also is a power hog... maybe a couple of hours of usage, then dead. Multitasking is another area that is a power hog, but I don't know the details.

The bottom line is if you want a long battery life so you can get something done, or enjoy reading, watching movies, or having fun making a home movie with the new iMOVIE app, then stick with a proven system. It is in the experience, not the specs. My dear wife could care less about customizing the look and feel ... in fact she wouldn't even think it was necessary.
  • Reply 216 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It is just a big iPod Touch. I still hold to that comment. Unlike many of you I like the iPad because it is a toy. Listen to music, play games, surf the net and watch videos. If I wanted to do something productive I have to use a MBP because the iPad simply does not support the software I use. Which is the case for most people.

Mouse I am the as honest as they get because unlike you I just don't walk around sucking Steve Jobs nut sack. You are a bias fanboy wuss which doesn't make you honest. Just because you love everything that Apple makes and bash everything else doesn't make you honest in fact it's quite the opposite.

People like you bash Google, Microsoft and everyone else when 99% of the time you haven't even touched their products or services. That doesn't make you honest. At least when I have something negative to say I make an effort to use the product first. My opinion of the iPad still stand its a toy.

Just because it has sold to millions doesn't mean its some great productivity device. If its such a great educational tool like Steve Jobs says then why doesn't it get an educational discount like all other Apple products that are seen as educational tools? Love to hear your answer on that one.

You are one of the most bias people on this forum it's beyond a joke for you to try and call anyone else out on being honest.

Profanity, bashing is not only a lot of self pity, it communicates nothing. In fact it is just the bully way of trying to intimidate. You're not effectively selling anything.

You may call the iPAD a toy ... your choice of words. Many homes are full of wonderful toys that bring enjoyment and satisfaction. Your point is more that you wanted an iPAD that could replace your power hungry Notebook... enable you to do what you want on a powerful PC tower system... and you wanted all this for a very low price.

You would be well, to keep the nasty stuff away from your thought processes .. we certainly don't deserve your crap. You have made some intelligent remarks ... Keep doing that ... Stop the crap.
  • Reply 217 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The funniest thing about these "iPad is a toy" comments is that there is probably no other technology device that has been so rapidly accepted by enterprise.

Much of the growth of the iPad over the next several years will be from corporate buyers, governments, schools, etc. Watch for an astounding number of graduate schools this fall issuing iPads to incoming students.

This is pretty much a no-brainer in the financial services sector. There are two or three medical applications that need to be optimized for the iPad, but when they are available, you will see massive adoption by the health services industry. There are already doctors clamoring their IT departments to hook up their personal devices to their hospital IT infrastructure. Doctors tend to be IT technophobes, so this activity is highly unusual.

Government will eventually figure this out as well. There is a huge amount of money/time/resources spent in paper document distribution. Everything is digitized anyhow and filed into document retrieval systems. Better to push out electronic docs rather than fire up the copy center for two days so the courier service can drive around town dropping off piles of paper.

You have hit the nail on the head. I use Apple stuff, I have built (assemblied many PC towers), I have three printers (good ones, epson for photo stuff), plus a nice scanner. I have a nice Core2 duo with Vista that hasn't been used for almost a year. I didn't bother with Windows 7 ... I just got a mac-mini and use the monitor and keyboard. I don't get viruses. My printers are in trouble because of lack of use. I move data around on flash drives,and networking vs printing and now I am developing a private blog for our family because Facebook is so dangerous. So bye, bye paper. As soon as iPAD2 is available (just in a week or so) my dear wife will finally be able to do her thing, enjoy pictures of the grandkids, making jigsaw puzzles from them and having fun, learn how to use the internet (she says the PC and all that OS stuff is so confusing), she likes to read, watch a movie or two while camping (try that with your laptop that dies after 2 hours) and is back lit so it does not need outside lighting (sorry Kindle ... who reads in direct sun light anyway ... get out the sun burn lotion). So it is the EZ with to use the iPAD that is so intriguing ... also the security.

When Apple can get the publishing community (books, magazine, papers, etc) to join the party, then all the students( we are all students) can enjoy up to date book material, turn in their papers digitally ( forget printing all that stuff) and have all their valuable files saved on a cloud server... then the transformation will be as significant as when we finally got automobiles for transportation instead of reliable hay burners. Go iPAD, Go ... then for those that need so-called power get a MacBook Pro or Air ... the Air is a real winner also ... go for it.
  • Reply 218 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

Quadruple-post

Please just multi-quote, particularly when they're all about the same thing.
  • Reply 219 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Again, my apologies

You have my deepest sympathies. There is no need for you apologise for anything. The poster with autism probably should, but probably wouldn't recognise the need to do so.
  • Reply 220 of 222
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What is it with Apple sycophants? Are you all brainwashed in some giant Apple secret facility somewhere or do just visit the genius bar and the guy smiles and says "just hold still for a second, this wont hurt" and then shoves a an ultrasonic ablater up a nostril and proceeds to liquify the parts of the brain required for independent thought and critical thinking?

'Secret process' !!!!! I wonder if that might involve something like pre forming using an extrusion press? From comments by some machinists discussing the subject:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...rocess-166892/

The whole process described: http://www.manufacturelink.com.au/ne...g-process.aspx

I have an original unibody Macbook, it is very well made and I admire the engineering that went in to it, but I am not going to start genuflecting towards Cuppertino and assume it was made with Alien tech that leaked from Area 51.

Apple may use state of the art production processes, but that doesn't mean they invented them.

I swear if Apple were to make an electric car there would be posters on here jumping up and down declaring Apple invented the wheel and the battery.

Ha ha -- this is not the first time someone has suggested this process is a regular process...

If what you are saying is correct, pls explain the following:

- Why is it that there is no other manufacturer using Unibody construction techniques for anything else. In any industry. Forget computers, even high end defense and aerospace equipment where strength to weight ratio is very important, use casting followed by precision finishing. Nowhere else do they start with a block of Aluminium and finish with the final product.

- Secondly, there is a clear video from Apple, showing the process used to make the Unibody iMac. The "hole" where the screen is, ends up as two unibody keyboards. Can you tell me any machining procedure that can cut out these holes - leaving behind big solid chunks of Aluminium to cut out the Keyboards from? Or do you think Jon Ive is lying through his teeth in that video?

- Thirdly, Aluminium can be recycled cheaper than it can be made - but still, if Apple converts blocks of Aluminium into 95% by weight of scrap in each round, then this process would be WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. Every tonne of Aluminium will end up getting melted about 20 times! Or is it your case that Apple's costs/margins are high enough to absorb the expense of melting the Aluminium 20 times??

Get real - those links you posted are nothing but speculation - people are guessing Apple's processes as much as you and I are.

Would love to see your responses to my points - if you have any!