Apple ships over 1 million MacBook Airs in new notebook's first quarter

Comments

• Reply 81 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Imagine how many they'll sell if they upgrade to Sandy Bridge processors and add the Thunderbolt port...

Also, the default 2GB RAM is woefully inadequate in 2011.

Yup yup yup yup yup

I'm pretty sure my next computer will be a Sandy Bridge ULV MBA with 4GB RAM, probably 13".

Yes, I know the onboard video will be comparatively sucky, but I don't care. It'll be a nice machine for Safari / Pages / MS Office / FileMaker Pro / Ruby web development / MAME.

Also, props to my current MacBook 2,1 (2006), which still feels nice to use. It's the first time that I've had a computer hold up so well for 5 years, despite my regular regimen of abuse
  • Reply 82 of 207
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

We agree up to this point.

MacBook is a noun. Air is used as an adjective. The noun gets the 's' and the adjective doesn't.

I want a 15" MacBook Air.

If Air is an adjective, why did you capitalize it? Shouldn't you be saying "MacBook air" if air is merely an adjective? The only reason to capitalize it is if it is part of the name.

The term MacBook Air is a proper noun (a name) and the s goes at the end. I can't believe this was actually debated.
  • Reply 83 of 207
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Right.. and AAPL will "never" hit $270 in this economy as you've said in the past. You should seriously consider removing the word "Never" from your vocabulary. Would do you better in forum postings.

Apple is using ARM's reference design for the A9 (and prior A8) and modifying it to suit their needs. Hence, we had the A4 and A5 chips. Nowhere does it say that Apple is required to use the "A8" or "A9" name. A4 and A5 is Apple's own name for their own use. Heck, they could have called it "Pixie-dust" and ARM could care less.

Pixie Dust was the code name for the A4. The A5 was code named Unicorn Tears.
  • Reply 84 of 207
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

No just making the point that the guy that wanted to keep bragging about stock prices doesn't own a single share. In my book that makes him the fool not me. There isn't a person on here that hasn't made a prediction or given an opinion that has been wrong at some point. So while I was wrong about the stock price increase in this economy at least I have skin in the game. I don't have too or feel the need to lie about anything.

If people think they can get me to leave they can't, if you think you can get under my skin, you can't I will get under yours first and stay there. Like I said in my preious post if you want respect you better be willing to give it in return.

As far as my computer knowledge I do pretty well in that area.

Now maybe we can actually get back to talking about technology.

Actually, as usual you're spinning your comments to suit your agenda, and doing it quite badly. But hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt while everyone else is calling you out.

By all means skater, I welcome you to search any posting I've ever made since the beginning of time where I said I do not own AAPL, or even implied to the smallest degree that I do not own AAPL. You will find none, because there are none. What you will find are a few postings beginning with "As an AAPL owner...." and that's about it. You were quite upset at everyone's excitement during that time for some strange reason.

What you refer to as my "bragging", you're confusing perhaps with comments I made (along with many other AAPL owners at the time) about Apple's stock price going from the $170's, to $250's and higher is such a short time frame. Everyone was jumping up and down saying the same thing "My AAPL stock looks better every day". Is that bragging or sticking it in someone's face? I don't think so. That's called "excitement" for believing in a company, taking a financial risk, and being rewarded for taking that risk.

What you did was very well remembered. While we were enjoying AAPL's performance and dissecting the reasons behind it, you were quite vocal with how AAPL would "NEVER" reach $270, criticizing folks for their excitement during those depressing financial times and insulting people for not agreeing with you and your negative predictions which in the end resulted in you providing quite a good amount of colorful personal attacks.

Even with all your rhetoric and negativity back then and now, I kept my cool along with another well-respected forum member you were attacking. We all make mistakes and certainly none of us are perfect. However, the next time you decide to call someone a liar without even an shred of proof, all you're doing is behaving badly and proving to everyone that the only person not being truthful is you.

But I do agree with your last sentence. I'll stick with the subject of technology from this point forward by saying the same thing that began your path downhill: As an AAPL owner, I'm happy to hear that Apple is proving the critics wrong yet again by creating great products that consumers love and for once again having another blowout quarter during one of the most difficult economic times ever.
  • Reply 85 of 207
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Pixie Dust was the code name for the A4. The A5 was code named Unicorn Tears.

Really? I got $10 bucks that the A6 will be code-named Chair-Thrower. I think that would be a great tribute to Ballmer.
  • Reply 86 of 207
    Remembering the dumbest rumors: Remember when there were silly rumors saying Apple's 2nd chip based off Cortex-A designs would be called A8 even though using the Cortex-A9 reference designs.
  • Reply 87 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Actually, as usual you're spinning your comments to suit your agenda, and doing it quite badly. But hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt while everyone else is calling you out.

By all means skater, I welcome you to search any posting I've ever made since the beginning of time where I said I do not own AAPL, or even implied to the smallest degree that I do not own AAPL. You will find none, because there are none. What you will find are a few postings beginning with "As an AAPL owner...." and that's about it. You were quite upset at everyone's excitement during that time for some strange reason.

What you refer to as my "bragging", you're confusing perhaps with comments I made (along with many other AAPL owners at the time) about Apple's stock price going from the $170's, to $250's and higher is such a short time frame. Everyone was jumping up and down saying the same thing "My AAPL stock looks better every day". Is that bragging or sticking it in someone's face? I don't think so. That's called "excitement" for believing in a company, taking a financial risk, and being rewarded for taking that risk.

What you did was very well remembered. While we were enjoying AAPL's performance and dissecting the reasons behind it, you were quite vocal with how AAPL would "NEVER" reach $270, criticizing folks for their excitement during those depressing financial times and insulting people for not agreeing with you and your negative predictions which in the end resulted in you providing quite a good amount of colorful personal attacks.

Even with all your rhetoric and negativity back then and now, I kept my cool along with another well-respected forum member you were attacking. We all make mistakes and certainly none of us are perfect. However, the next time you decide to call someone a liar without even an shred of proof, all you're doing is behaving badly and proving to everyone that the only person not being truthful is you.

But I do agree with your last sentence. I'll stick with the subject of technology from this point forward by saying the same thing that began your path downhill: As an AAPL owner, I'm happy to hear that Apple is proving the critics wrong yet again by creating great products that consumers love and for once again having another blowout quarter during one of the most difficult economic times ever.

What you really wanted to do was try to prove some point without having any clue what point I was trying to make. Then follow it up with a useless comment about stocks.

The point I was making is Apple would never use the current A9 because the A5 while based off the same design already has several advantages over the A9 when it comes to system architecture. The A5 is a lower cost chip, it is 33% more energy efficient and has far better GPU performance and a smaller footprint compared to the most common A9 the Nvidia Tegra 2.

The Tegra 2 being the chip most do their benching from. So seem like a very valid point to me.

Even Nvidia is going to be moving to the Tegra 3 which is the Quad core verions of the A9 and even working on a version that will support 3D displays.

So based on that I think it's pretty safe to say Apple is never going to use two year old technology in their iPad. Even if Apple decided at some point to use a Quad core design by then the A9 is going to be a bit long in the tooth and there will most likely be a better option.

Not sure how any of that doesn't sound reasonable.
  • Reply 88 of 207
    Quote:

I already gave you the spec sheet via a link. Can you not read it?

You gave a link that backed up mine and other people?s point, not yours. Again, if you think that Apple did not use any of ARM?s designs to create their modified chip then prove it. If you think they did license from ARM but are using some other ARM design, like the Cortex-A15 (your only other choice) then prove it.
  • Reply 89 of 207
    Quote:

What you really wanted to do was try to prove some point without having any clue what point I was trying to make. Then follow it up with a useless comment about stocks.

The point I was making is Apple would never use the current A9 because the A5 while based off the same design already has several advantages over the A9 when it comes to system architecture. The A5 is a lower cost chip, it is 33% more energy efficient and has far better GPU performance and a smaller footprint compared to the most common A9 the Nvidia Tegra 2.

The Tegra 2 being the chip most do their benching from. So seem like a very valid point to me.

Even Nvidia is going to be moving to the Tegra 3 which is the Quad core verions of the A9 and even working on a version that will support 3D displays.

So based on that I think it's pretty safe to say Apple is never going to use two year old technology in their iPad. Even if Apple decided at some point to use a Quad core design by then the A9 is going to be a bit long in the tooth and there will most likely be a better option.

Not sure how any of that doesn't sound reasonable.

It?s clear you don?t know what ARM does. They design chips that they license. These designs are built by others. Regardless of what you think the A4 and A5 is because Apple tweaked it and Samsung produced it, they are still ARM Cortex.

Would you say that Google isn?t using WebKIt for their browser engine because they replaced the default JS engine with their own V8? I surely hope not.
  • Reply 90 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

You gave a link that backed up mine and other people?s point, not yours. Again, if you think that Apple did not use any of ARM?s designs to create their modified chip then prove it. If you think they did license from ARM but are using some other ARM design, like the Cortex-A15 (your only other choice) then prove it.

I never said that Apples A5 was not ARM's design of course I knew it was based off the ARM. The point I was making if you read the post above is its has added advantages over the A9. Apple was never going to use the A9 that is current used by Nvidia with their Tegra 2.

Not sure what you are attempting to argue about.
  • Reply 91 of 207
    Quote:

I never said that Apples A5 was not ARM's design of course I knew it was based off the ARM. The point I was making if you read the post above is its has added advantages over the A9. Apple was never going to use the A9 that is current used by Nvidia with their Tegra 2.

Not sure what you are attempting to argue about.

Who said that Apple was going to use "the A9 that is current used by Nvidia with their Tegra 2.? The fact remains, whether you want to accept it or not that Apple?s A4 and A5 can only be based on the ARM?s A8 and A9. respectively.

Why you are arguing the point? Do you really need Jobs to spell it out for before you believe it? Damn fanboys.
  • Reply 92 of 207
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

Excuse me, but I just don't see how backlit keyboards are so important... My MBP 15 has one and my wife's new MBA 13 doesn't (BEST designed laptop I have EVER used) yet I can't see ANY difference when using the two keyboards. But then, I am a "touch typist".... I don't look at the keys while I type.

Way back in the dark ages before "computers" and desktop publishing I learned how to type on those strange things called "typewriters", and God help you if you tried to use them while looking at the keys! You either typed at less than 5 words a minute or you had a metal rats nest of keys to contend with... you HAD to learn where the "home keys" are (that's what those bumps are for on the H and J keys BTW).

Is there some secret advantage to a keyboard with backlighting that I have missed?? Other than amusing my cats? Try typing all day long on it, and eventually you too will know where the darn keys are without looking, and will be able to type in the shadows!

PS: Please don't take the sarcasm above personally, i am obviously having a bad day... must be an overdose of inappropriate technology. My most sincere apologies...

if you use the computer in the dark, you open it up and need to type a password that contains numbers or special characters. This is difficult to do without the backlight as the display doesn't really generate enough light to see the numbers. I touch type but find it easy to make mistakes typing in numbers in this situation.

Edit: I see they may have solved this without requiring the backlighting.
  • Reply 93 of 207
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It?s clear you don?t know what ARM does. They design chips that they license. These designs are built by others. Regardless of what you think the A4 and A5 is because Apple tweaked it and Samsung produced it, they are still ARM Cortex.

Would you say that Google isn?t using WebKIt for their browser engine because they replaced the default JS engine with their own V8? I surely hope not.

What the hell are you taking about? You keep trying to make this useless point over and over again that everyone here already understands. I help build and design multi million dollar mainframes for IBM, I am fairly certain I have this very basic concept down.

We all know the A5 is a modified version of the A9. No different then what Apple did with the A8 when they modified it to their A4, a modified version of the ARM Cortex A8 "Hummingbird".
  • Reply 94 of 207
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Seeing the iPad will never have the Cortex-A9 I would say both of you are incorrect. The iPad 2 will have the A5 which is not just another name for the A9.

No need to believe me on this one.

http://www.arm.com/products/processo...ex-a/index.php

Apple's A5 and the A5 on the site you linked refer to two entirely different things. THe A4 had a single cortex-A8 core. Apple's A5 almost certainly is based on the cortex-a9.
  • Reply 95 of 207
    eberghebergh Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

if you use the computer in the dark, you open it up and need to type a password that contains numbers or special characters. This is difficult to do without the backlight as the display doesn't really generate enough light to see the numbers. I touch type but find it easy to make mistakes typing in numbers in this situation.

I can see what you mean, but as a "deal killer"? Nah, If the new MBA had been available when I bought my my MBP last year to replace my iMac G5 which was dying bigtime... I would have gotten the MBA without hesitation. I get to use my wife's Air "occasionally" and think it's faster and more comfortable to use than my MBP 15. I can't find a thing about it to complain or quibble about, except that it's HER machine and not mine! It's the wave of the future for sure!
  • Reply 96 of 207
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not for most MacBook Air uses that consider the MBA a fashion accessory....

That may be true for some small percentage of MBA owners, but it's a colossal overstatement to use that broad brush to paint "most MacBook Air uses" that way.

The real issue is that, by the time most people that have a MBA with only 2GB realize they might not have enough memory, it's too late to fix the problem. If RAM on the MBA were upgradeable, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with the 2GB default.
  • Reply 97 of 207
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Apple's A5 and the A5 on the site you linked refer to two entirely different things. THe A4 had a single cortex-A8 core. Apple's A5 almost certainly is based on the cortex-a9.

Yes we have already established that fact. However the point I was trying to make (which I should have avoided in the first place) is unlike the Nvidia Tegra 2 which is a clear A9 without any major modification the A5 has several key mods that puts it into its own catagory.

Which makes it based on the A9 but not simply just a Cortex A9
  • Reply 98 of 207
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple should make a really portable MacBook Air:

- 400 to 600 g.

- 5 to 7-inch screen.

- Pocketable.

The ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool!

Wow, what an utterly horrendous sounding device. No, they shouldn't. Do some of you just spout random shit without actually taking 30 seconds to think about it 1st? Apple would be out of business with suggestions like this. Full OS X on a 5-7 in screen? Really? At what resolution?? A 5-7' physical keyboard? Apple has made it clear they won't produce anything that uses a less than full size keyboard, which makes sense. Your described device just sounds like a nightmare to actually use, which is why UMPCs died a quick and violent death.
  • Reply 99 of 207
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

When do you think they will refresh the Air? I want one but need a faster CPU. I understand the SSD drive makes it "look" fast, but I need a more powerfull machine.

I understand your need for speed! The thing is AIR is relatively new and Apple has several other platforms in need of upgrades. Plus I'm not sure Intel really has an ideal upgrade path yet, rumor has it that we could see new Sandy Bridge chips later in the year.

Of course no body knows for sure what Apple is up to. However one thing they might try to target is back to school. It seem like something always happens for back to school.
  • Reply 100 of 207
    jla0jla0 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I wonder what Apple will call them once iOS supplants OSX

That would be the most stupid thing Apple could do! Replacing a real productive OS (OSX) with an entertainment OS (iOS) on real computers would be the worst move Apple could make. iOS is simply not open enough and flexible enough to be used for real work.. and before someone says otherwise, i'm sure video producers will be ditching there pc's for iMovie on iOS real soon now..