'Mystique' surrounding Apple's white iPhone 4 seen as sales booster

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though the white iPhone 4 is set to launch this week some 10 months after the black version of the handset went on sale, numerous delays are believed by one analyst to have created a "mystique" around the device that could boost sales.

Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities believes the white iPhone 4 will help to further boost sales of Apple's hot-selling handset. He said the announcement of the white iPhone 4 last summer, and the 10 month delay for its arrival, have given it a "certain mystique and scarcity value" that he believes could provide a "tailwind" for sales in the June quarter.

White has argued that a white iPhone 4 matters, because certain demographics will find the handset and its different color appealing. In particular, he found in recent travels to Asia that there was quite a bit of interest in the white iPhone 4.

"China has clearly caught 'Apple fever,' and we believe the country is a prime candidate for a 'white' iPhone 4," he said. "Even with a potential iPhone 5 launch in September, we believe a 'white' iPhone 4 could lure consumers to make a purchase."

Consumer purchases of electronics are not an entirely rational decision, he said, and some products are purchased for different reasons, including status, aesthetics, functionality, quality, and a "cool factor."

AppleInsider first reported on Sunday that Apple has begun shipping white iPhone 4 units to its retail stores in the U.S. It is believed that the device will go on sale this Wednesday, April 27.

The introduction of the white iPhone 4 10 months late may be possible because of a later-than-usual introduction of the new fifth-generation iPhone this year. Sources have indicated that Apple's next-generation handset will go into production in September, after the usual June launch timeframe.

The white iPhone 4 was delayed numerous times by Apple, which cited manufacturing problems. Earlier this year, AppleInsider learned that Apple had turned to a Japanese company to craft a new paint material to resolve those issues.

The white iPhone 4 is just one of many products in Apple's pipeline that White believes will push Apple's stock 100 points higher in the next three to five months. Ticonderoga Securities has a 12-month price target of $612 for AAPL stock.

He expects strong demand for the iPad 2 to continue, and for the iPhone 5 to have a strong launch later this year. White also reiterated claims that Apple could release an Internet-connected high-definition television set by the end of this year, based on his checks with sources.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The white iPhone 4 is just one of many products in Apple's pipeline that White believes...

of course white thinks white will be awesome. he's hardly unbiased...

in all seriousness, i completely agree. further, i think there are probably a good number of people who actually waited for the white handset, who will now pick one up (not just because it's new and different -- but because they wanted white to begin with). might also be some who want a nice white iphone to go with their nice new white ipad...
  • Reply 2 of 26
    After my front glass got smashed I eventually was somewhere that could fix it and paid a few dollars more for a "off the test line" white refit.

From what I've directly observed from reactions to it, there is a mystique and desire surrounding it. It is going to move, strange as it may seem what with a 4s round the corner.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    It will sell well. Lots of people went for a white iPad 2.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Really, what do they pay the guys who come up with this bar stool piffle?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It looks classy but I can’t help but think that anyone who specifically choose to wait 10 months for a device they wanted because of color is a bit of a nob. That said, sales data shows people do buy the iPhone year round and this could be what finally makes them consider an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i am due for an upgrade on my Verizon account.

I will get the white iPhone 4. i think it looks cool. My iPad 2 is white.

its a nice clean look.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    I wonder how long until Samsung starts making white phones too.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    In other news RIM announces the WhiteBerry.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    So I'm guessing it will be a cheaper version, like the 3GS was when the iPhone 4 launched.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

So I'm guessing it will be a cheaper version, like the 3GS was when the iPhone 4 launched.

I don?t see why it would be.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I got stuck in the white iPhone trap.

When the iP4 was released and the white was pushed back to September. I figured I could wait until September. Then it was pushed back to December/January. I thought I can wait until December. By that time dual core Android phones were coming to market. Then I just decided to wait for the iP5. I could wait for June/July. Now it looks as thought I'll be waiting for September again.

I currently have a iP 3G that is pretty long in the tooth, but still works fine. I use it as a selling point to people who are on the fence between iPhone and Android. I haven't met many people who still like their Android phone after a year of use. I tell them my phone is nearly 3 years old and it works fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It looks classy but I can?t help but think that anyone who specifically choose to wait 10 months for a device they wanted because of color is a bit of a nob. That said, sales data shows people do buy the iPhone year round and this could be what finally makes them consider an iPhone 4.

• Reply 12 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nmcphers View Post

I wonder how long until Samsung starts making white phones too.

They already did AFAIK. The white Nexus S. I think HTC also has one.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Sounds as if the $49 3G has been a big hit. Why not sell the iP4 for $49.

Quote:

I don?t see why it would be.

• Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Sounds as if the $49 3G has been a big hit. Why not sell the iP4 for $49.

Sure, after the iPhone 5 is out, but there is no reason for the white iPhone 4 to be sold at $49 when the black iPhone 4 is $199 for the same capacity and performance.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Oh the other poster was talking about selling the white for $49 right now?

Quote:

Sure, after the iPhone 5 is out, but there is no reason for the white iPhone 4 to be sold at $49 when the black iPhone 4 is $199 for the same capacity and performance.

• Reply 16 of 26
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Nah, the white iPhone 4 had the exact same specs as the black iPhone 4 at the initial announcement. It's just a different color of paint under the glass. After production delays continued, Apple removed marketing imagery, etc. from the website.

There is no convincing reason to believe that the white iPhone 4 will differ internally from the black model.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    omg a second color...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Oh the other poster was talking about selling the white for $49 right now?

He didn?t specify otherwise.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    People might be possibly holding out due to the proximity of the typical launch date of the next gen iPhone.... I know I am even thou I have need for a 2nd iPhone.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    There's a mystique around the poop-brown zunes, too, but "mystique" doesn't mean people will buy them...