Apple preparing to introduce Sandy Bridge iMacs early next week - sources

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    robhrobh Posts: 8member
    Your words talk about 'the decline of the desktop' yet your graph shows number of desktop sales doubling over the 5 years your graph runs. That hardly sounds like a decline and sounds like business is booming compared to many other manufacturers!

Personally I look at a 3 year refresh cycle on my iMac - as long as the machine hasn't failed I wait for the next big hardware update. The graph seems to show this is a common philosophy.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I think the iPad will bring a surge back to iMac, which seems to be holding its ground against other vendors? desktops sales in comparison to notebooks.

2) What is cramped about the keyboard or are you not comparing it to Apple?s BT keyboard but some 3rd-party keyboard?

3) Do you use the Magic Trackpad?

I didn't like the Magic Trackpad when I first got it. But just after a few days of use, I love it. And with the new gestures from Lion it will be indispensable for me.

As far as the iMacs...my original intel 20" is still going strong. Next purchase will be an iPad2 and when the iMac kicks the bucket, I'll most likely get the MBA 11"

Along with my iPhone 4 am good to go. I do love the iMacs though and if I come into some cabage probably will get the 2012 thinner iMac!
  • Reply 23 of 122
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    I wonder how easy will it be to replace the hard drive or other major components on these new iMacs? I've lost two drives on Mac desktops, so I've stuck with my white iMac in part because replacing the hard drive on it, while not easy, is at least doable. For the aluminum family of iMacs, I hear it's a terror.

Come on Apple. How hard can it be to make an iMac where removing four screens opens up the entire back, with every major component easily accessible? If you did that, you've save money on your own warranty repairs.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    This sounds like a nice machine I may get one 6 months after it comes out when all it's problems are worked out. They always have problems when a new thing is added.

I need a desktop personally. I work in audio apps and even though I do some audio work on the ipad it really is too small for me to do most of what I need. I also sometimes need many apps open at once (and the see them at the same time) and the iOS can't do that so well.

I use the iPad as an addition to my iMac. I need the screen space, processor power, ram, hard drive space and so on of the iMac. I do find I don't need a tower. I can do 99% of what I need using almost no cpu and under my current 4GB of ram. I'd be mostly upgrading to get a 27" with the newer specs as a bonus.

The iPad is extremely useful to me in many ways that my iMac can't be and my iMac is useful in many ways the iPad can't be.

BTW, I original bought an archos 101 10.1" tablet with Android 2.3 and found it extremely lacking compared to the iPad. Mainly due to its OS and apps. They were truly low budget, buggy, spyware-ish, ugly and lagged.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    It's not many, but our small office needs to replace 4 desktop pro units / monitors, and imac's don't cut it.

I'm sure others are in the same boat as us.

Skip
  • Reply 26 of 122
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I didn't like the Magic Trackpad when I first got it. But just after a few days of use, I love it. And with the new gestures from Lion it will be indispensable for me.

I am glad to hear about your experience. My iMac 7,1 still works great, and I should be able to install Lion (32-bit kernel on a C2D), and purchase a Magic Trackpad to take fuller advantage of the gestures available in Lion. I am guessing that the subsequent iMac with Ivy Bridge will be the time to replace my current machine.

The way I envision using the iMac in the future is to take advantage of Bluetooth for the front end components, and Thunderbolt for the back end components, and a connection to an iPad n. This should provide for a powerful and reliable system setup combining mobility with a home dock.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yeah, they should totally include an option for INFERIOR displays, with an added filter that REDUCES the optical clarity and diffuses the image, just for that minority of people that can't control the lighting at their home/work environment and can't stand a few reflections...

Wow, Sorry to see you fell for the marketing ploy. Those of us who know better would like the option.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    In case you missed it:
    • iPhone OS is now simply ?iOS?;

• Mac OS X is now simply "iOS Development Platform?.

~ dsandler, June 7th, 2010

No it's not.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I am definitely in the market. I need to find a good home for this perfectly fine core duo 20". I would keep using it except it is EOL since it can't run Lion.

A few people got Lion to run on Core Duo's, so its not like they dropped code support entirely, since it seemed to run fine. Still not sure what the final requirements will be.
  • Reply 30 of 122
    Looks like my iMac will be hitting Craigslist next week.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    dermmddermmd Posts: 1member
    does anybody know if they are they going to change the overall look of the monitor as well? that is the only thing holding me back from making my iMac purchase (currently have a MBP). the current version has been tweaked a few times, but a real overhaul of the look (like how they changed from the white desktop to its current chrome look) has not happened since i think 4 years ago. thanks for any insider info!!!
  • Reply 32 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously Kasper what is up with all this negativity with respect to iMacs or desktops in general? First it makes no difference what the Mac line up is as a percentage of sales. The only thing that really counts is that Apple is steadily increasing sales while the rest of thue markets are stalling. Second; I can actually see a resurgence in Mac sales, especially desktop machines when people start to realize that an iMac and an iPad make for an excellent combo. Laptops are extremely compromised on the desktop yet many people don't need a full blown laptop for their portable needs. For those people an iPad 2 is now enough machine ot handle their portable needs.

In any event if Apple delivers what I think they will deliver in the iMac update we should see a pretty massive uptick in sales as it will be a compelling upgrade for many. The combo of Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt implies a whole new generation of machine in my mind, one that many have been waiting for.

In any event please get a grip, as long as the Mac line is profitable and out growing the market in general desktop machines will still be part of the line up.
  • Reply 33 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

A few people got Lion to run on Core Duo's, so its not like they dropped code support entirely, since it seemed to run fine. Still not sure what the final requirements will be.

It reads "Ensure you are using a 64-bit, Intel-based Mac" which is why I think it is a no go on Core Duo.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It reads "Ensure you are using a 64-bit, Intel-based Mac" which is why I think it is a no go on Core Duo.

And some people got it to run on Core Duo's despite that requirement.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    I'm in the market to replace my iMac which is the first Intel version. It had half a gig of memory and ran tiger and iMovie HD just fine. Leopard ran fine also. But it has struggled with Snow Leopard and I wouldn't think of running Lion on it.

I too wish there were a Matte screen option, but they seem to have come a long way from the first aluminum iMac which apparently had issues of color change when viewed from different angles. They have made improvements with LED backlighting and IPS technology, whatever that is. Besides, after all these years of glossy only, I don't see Apple bending on this issue in the consumer space.

Wouldn't mind Blu Ray, but I guess we'll be lucky if they don't delete the optical drive all together. Hope to get a hi def iSight camera at least.

I'd go for the I5 processor with 8 gigs of memory. That should keep the spinning beach balls at bay.
  • Reply 36 of 122
    I never use my laptop anymore... never really liked them.

A desktop and an iPad suits my needs fine.

I am about ready for a new iMac, but I think I'll wait until July when the FCPX situation clarifies.

I am hoping that I can hand down my C2D to my granddaughter & hoping she'll be able to run the new FCPX as opposed to the current FCP Studio.
  • Reply 37 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I am glad to hear about your experience. My iMac 7,1 still works great, and I should be able to install Lion (32-bit kernel on a C2D), and purchase a Magic Trackpad to take fuller advantage of the gestures available in Lion. I am guessing that the subsequent iMac with Ivy Bridge will be the time to replace my current machine.

The way I envision using the iMac in the future is to take advantage of Bluetooth for the front end components, and Thunderbolt for the back end components, and a connection to an iPad n. This should provide for a powerful and reliable system setup combining mobility with a home dock.

Great, Bert! The biggest thing that took time to get used to was that all you have to do is "touch/tap" the magic pad to get it to do a drop down menu as opposed to a "click." You can do the click but now I love the touch aspect as opposed to clicking on a mouse all the time.

I do also have a magic mouse too, but find myself preferring the trackpad. Anyway, good luck!
  • Reply 38 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niklassaers View Post

I expect it'll be based on Intel's Z68 chipset that will be available for the rest of the world in a week or two:

I really hope not as I see this as a design regression. Caching to flash makes no sense at all if you need as much flash a common SSD these days. Further unless that flash is removable for repair or expansion who would really want the feature. Considering that a cache would be hit constantly there is a reasonable fear that wear out will be a problem. Of course they could implement wear leveling and all the other life extension tricks of the SSD world but then why not use SSD tech?

Think about it this way if a real SSD was used for system and app storage we would get all the benefits of a cache without the limitations. You would still need a drive for the bulk storage of user data but that isn't much different than a caching system.

The difference here is that one can tailor the SSD to their individual needs. For example most people can get by with 64GB for system and apps. A developer can't as easily so in that case they might want a 200GB SSD drive. The point is a soldered in SSD cache is just that soldered in! The whole approach strikes me as pointless.

In my estimation it would make for far more sense if Apple and Intel where to work on an affordable PCI-Express standard for solid state storage. This would get rid of the low speed SATA legacy port and have enough bandwidth to be viable for a few years.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Great, Bert! The biggest thing that took time to get used to was that all you have to do is "touch/tap" the magic pad to get it to do a drop down menu as opposed to a "click." You can do the click but now I love the touch aspect as opposed to clicking on a mouse all the time.

I do also have a magic mouse too, but find myself preferring the trackpad. Anyway, good luck!

You can configure the Magic TrackPad:

-- 2 finger tap == show dropdown (like right-click or control-click)

-- 1 finger tap == select item (like left-click)

You don't need the click at all -- but it works, if you forget and revert to the old way.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can configure the Magic TrackPad:

-- 2 finger tap == show dropdown (like right-click or control-click)

-- 1 finger tap == select item (like left-click)

You don't need the click at all -- but it works, if you forget and revert to the old way.

Yep, Dick. I've been doing that and not even realizing it!