Apple may offer free iCloud services with aggressively priced Mac OS X Lion

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 119
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Lion should be $29, just like the Snow Leopard upgrade. Lion is not a whole new OS, it's just another update. Apple will sell plenty at that price, just like they did with Snow Leopard.

When Apple eventually comes out with OS 11, or OS XI, or whatever it's going to be called, they can price it at around $99, since it will be completely new.
  • Reply 102 of 119
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Lion should be $29, just like the Snow Leopard upgrade. Lion is not a whole new OS, it's just another update.

Right, just like Tiger wasn't a whole new OS, it's just "another upgrade".

NO VERSION OF OS X is a "new OS" by that criteria. All you people think you're "entitled" to a $29 upgrade when Apple could easily keep doing $129.

Quote:

When Apple eventually comes out with OS 11, or OS XI, or whatever it's going to be called, they can price it at around $99, since it will be completely new.

It's funny because you think you can tell Apple what they can do.
  • Reply 103 of 119
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

How do you "preannounce" something? Once you mention it, that's the announcement.

As in "I'm announcing today that I will announce next Tuesday whether or not I'm going to announce my candidacy for President..."

Is that a "preannouncement"?
  • Reply 104 of 119
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    A lot of this makes sense to me. I can definitely see an App Store launch for Lion, if for no other reason than that with America's decrepit Internet, the only place you can get South Korean-style download speeds aside from a handful of college campuses and corporate offices is the Apple Store. Go into the store, upgrade your computer online to Lion, and while you're at it they can sell you stuff you don't need.

It also makes sense from a technical support standpoint to have people migrate quickly to the current operating system of the day. Perhaps they've calculated some kind of price that forms an equilibrium point between too much technical support to legacy systems and not enough revenue from current software.
  • Reply 105 of 119
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Cloudsdale! Cloudsville! Cloudahuhamama!

Cloudtopia, Cloudapalooza, Cloudzilla.
  • Reply 106 of 119
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

+1! I've never understood that term either. It's like "preregister" for an event.

I think the basic but lost meaning is that you're giving an advance announcement or have the chance to register in advance.

Pre-announce, pre-register, pre-order -- are all quite silly!

But everyone understands the meaning of pre-pay!
  • Reply 107 of 119
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO VERSION OF OS X is a "new OS" by that criteria. All you people think you're "entitled" to a $29 upgrade when Apple could easily keep doing $129.

Right in the title of this article, it states "aggressively priced Mac OSX Lion". Your idea of $129 doesn't sound very aggressively priced, if you ask me. Snow Leopard at $29 is extremely aggressively priced. Apple has been going against their usual habits lately and offering certain hardware and software for cheaper prices than anybody would ever have imagined before.

Quote:

It's funny because you think you can tell Apple what they can do.

Insane in the membrane? I never wrote that I think that I can tell Apple what they can do or can't do. Apple is going to do whatever Apple wants. I'm simply offering my opinion.
  • Reply 108 of 119
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It bears repeating here:

There is only three things I need iCloud to do, in addition to MobileMe functions:

1. Send whatever media files I tag on any iDevice/computer up to the cloud and back down for full wireless syncing or just streaming. I don't want only the copyrighted music stored by Apple that Apple decides *they* want to stream to you. That is nonsense, requires stupid, pointless and time-wasting negotiation with idiotic media conglomerates and is usually crippled outside the US - outside the US being where most of Apple's growth in the next five years is going to take place. If Dropbox can stream and sync any media file I put up there, why can't Apple?

2a. Send and sync any file such as Dropbox and hence make iCloud the "default file system" for iOS devices. You want a file structure, local file management? Yes, you can, and it's cloud-enabled. Dropbox and other apps have proven that obviously more than one app requires access to the same files, and we cannot get away yet from needing to see all our files at once. Because even if it is not so relevant for a mobile device, remember that it is usually mirrored through the cloud on a desktop or laptop computer - where one is used to seeing files and file structure.

2b. Integrate 2a above with all iWork apps on iOS and Mac, essentially making iWork a legitimate Google Docs competitor.

3. In iOS 5, enable fully untethered operation and OS updating of any iOS 5 device.

Key words: Tag as Cloudify, then, from the cloud, Stream or Sync. Any file. Plus, iOS 5 Untethered.

This is what I believe Apple needs to do. Otherwise, all this iCloud stuff is going to be yet more too little, too late and exposes their Achilles heel for Google and others to chip away at even more.
  • Reply 109 of 119
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slinberg View Post

And ponies! Don't forget ponies.

Totally! Brohoof
  • Reply 110 of 119
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SierraRomeo View Post

Using your iTunes account, you can install and re-install any app you bought from the Mac App Store (MAS) on an unlimited number of Macs.

Can you confirm that this applies to ALL software sold in the mac App store? I talked about this at the genius bar and they told me it depends on the software you buy.
  • Reply 111 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Can you confirm that this applies to ALL software sold in the mac App store? I talked about this at the genius bar and they told me it depends on the software you buy.

They lied. It's everything. Except maybe Lion, but we don't know anything about Lion yet.
  • Reply 112 of 119
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Wow. You really don't think anyone but yourself deserves anything, do you?

And you're a tosser for that non sequitur!
  • Reply 113 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

And you're a tosser for that non sequitur!

Claiming a response perfectly in line with your self-centered comment is a non sequitur does not an argument win.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why you deserve a new OS for five dollars.
  • Reply 114 of 119
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

How do you "preannounce" something? Once you mention it, that's the announcement.

How can it be an announcement if it doesn't say what it is?
  • Reply 115 of 119
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:

NO VERSION OF OS X is a "new OS" by that criteria.

Except maybe Snow Leopard, which was pushed from the beginning as a complete re-write (with no new functionality).
  • Reply 116 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Except maybe Snow Leopard, which was pushed from the beginning as a complete re-write (with no new functionality).

There was plenty of new functionality. What Apple did was keep the UI considerably more similar than previous OS revisions. Since most users judge based on flash not on guts they probably felt they had to lower the price point, which really isn't really a big deal considering the rate of Mac adoption and the inherent cost savings of getting more users on the same OS platform.

The question I have is what will be the cost for the digitally distributed Lion via the Mac App Store? $29 again or will that will be a DVD version that will come later?

I wonder if the single user license will be via the Mac App Store with the more expensive Family Pack version (currently $49) and/or Mac Box Set (currently $129) will come via DVD where they can easily fold in the cost of the DVD production, packaging and shipping into the price. If they have both digital download and DVD sets will the DVDs be released the same day as the digital download?
  • Reply 117 of 119
    slemonsslemons Posts: 1member
    Whether $99 or $29, the primary barrier to upgrade to a new OS is always the substantial hidden cost of upgrading dozens of applications that break with a new OS. I have to run my old computer to use my HP scanner, which is only 3 years old, because there is no driver for Snow Leopard on my new Mac. Similarly, a friend just upgraded to a new MacBook and lost the ability to scan on his HP all-on-one, so he had to spend $150 to replace a perfectly good device with the latest model having exactly the same features. I'm stuck at Photoshop CS (aka Photoshop 8) because its the last version available without Adobe's outrageous copy protection. I always worry that will break with the next OS upgrade. I'd be looking at a $700 to get the latest version and untold costs and headaches to deal with the copy protection -- just on that program. I recall I spent about $1,500 to upgrade all of my software on the Leopard upgrade a few years back. And, of course, you don't know what will break until you've already committed to the upgrade. These OS upgrades need a built-in downgrade/uninstall feature to put you back to the previous version.
  • Reply 118 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLemons View Post

Whether $99 or $29, the primary barrier to upgrade to a new OS is always the substantial hidden cost of upgrading dozens of applications that break with a new OS.

The great thing about the Mac App Store is the free updates.

Quote:

I have to run my old computer to use my HP scanner, which is only 3 years old, because there is no driver for Snow Leopard on my new Mac.

That's because HP is a whore. What's wrong with using their terrible, proprietary software to run it?

Quote:

Similarly, a friend just upgraded to a new MacBook and lost the ability to scan on his HP all-on-one, so he had to spend $150 to replace a perfectly good device with the latest model having exactly the same features.

Again, HP's a whore. They've always been worthless at supporting OS X.

Quote:

I'm stuck at Photoshop CS (aka Photoshop 8) because its the last version available without Adobe's outrageous copy protection.

So it's Apple's fault you won't update?

Quote:

I'd be looking at a $700 to get the latest version and untold costs and headaches to deal with the copy protection -- just on that program.

So buy a physical version from a store and install a cracked version so you don't have to have "headaches" with copy protection...

Quote:

And, of course, you don't know what will break until you've already committed to the upgrade.

Or, you know, actually read anything about the software.
  • Reply 119 of 119
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I"m not a fan of all in one printer units for that reason alone. Jack of all trades, Master of none complete with driver issues.

I do agree that the larger companies are slow with upgrading their software and even taking advantage of new OS features. It is what it is...if you're running big apps you have to wait until you know the leap is safe.

My guess for Lion is $59. I think we're done with the days of $129 OS X versions. iCloud services will be likely free at a basic level and premium features will cost money. The time is right for Apple to get into more services beyond MobileMe.