First taste of Apple's iCloud available with iTunes 10.3, iOS App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Anyone know the direct link? On Lion — in the US — the 10.3 button links to 10.2.2.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Any word on whether Apple will allow you to consolidate Apple IDs? I have like 5 that I've used over the past few years. Many are one's that I could no longer use due to losing a domain or a mobile me user name that I lost after discontinuing service.

What I hear:

"I've been really careless and messy over the last few years. I haven't paid attention to any of the agreements I signed and didn't back up anything. Even though it's entirely my fault I'm upset that I might miss out on something due to my actions. I think Apple should fix this for me."
  • Reply 23 of 93
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What I hear:

"I've been really careless and messy over the last few years. I haven't paid attention to any of the agreements I signed and didn't back up anything. Even though it's entirely my fault I'm upset that I might miss out on something due to my actions. I think Apple should fix this for me."

Peabody - he didn't say any of what you heard. He's just asking a question.

Biggsjm - I think there's something in the FAQ for Apple IDs that says you cannot consolidate them at this time. In my opinion today's announcements raise lots of questions about what is tied to an Apple ID. It can't be uncommon for multiple household members to share an Apple ID.
  • Reply 24 of 93
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    OMG works on my iPhone! It just updated it over the air. HOT!!!
  • Reply 25 of 93
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I am in new york and it still takes me to 10.22

Same here.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What about two people sharing an Apple ID? Can they operate separately in iCloud?

No. Apple uses the other meaning of "sharing."

When you are "sharing" your AppleID, you are just letting someone else have access to your stuff.

You are not both "sharing" the same ID (the normal sense of "sharing").

I think a lot of folks will be bitten in the bum by this with the new setup. Apple says your "sharing" the account, but the word isn't really being used in the sense most people think it is.
  • Reply 27 of 93
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

When you are "sharing" your AppleID, you are just letting someone else have access to your stuff.

I think a lot of folks will be bitten in the bum by this with the new setup. Apple says your "sharing" the account, but the word isn't really being used in the sense most people think it is.

What about family members? Or do you actually think that people living in the same house should pay for multiple copies of the same content?

They definitely need to make it easy for this service to handle multiple users/multiple accounts.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,825member
    Quote:

What I hear:

Looks like someone needs to get their ears/eyes checked out. Apple's agreements don't state you can only have one AppleID, and backing up has nothing to do with AppleIDs. I have two also, and I enquired once about having them merged, but they couldn't do it. It never really mattered back then, but I'm not sure how it'd work with iCloud... You can authorise an iDevice to work with multiple AppleIDs at the moment, it'll play DRM music from either AppleID. But with iCloud and a device with multiple accounts, would you have to chose what account to sync with?
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:

I agree if it works the way I think it does a lot of people will be bitten. If everything is tied to a single Apple ID it will create an un-Appley mess that will make much of iCloud useless to many users.

Unless you get multiple iCloud ids under an Apple ID - which doesn't sound Apple-y either.
  • Reply 30 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

... You can authorise an iDevice to work with multiple AppleIDs at the moment, ....

I didn't know you could do that.

I have a lot of questions about Apple IDs - we've always shared one in my house because so far there's been one iPhone and no Mobile Me. Admittedly I haven't paid attention to what the ins and outs are.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,825member
    Quote:

I didn't know you could do that.

Yup, just play a song purchased by each different account in iTunes, and it'll ask you for a password each time. After you authorise, it'll happily sync to iDevices.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    I can see this on my iPad, but not on my Verizon iPhone. Must be exclusive to 4.3? Which reminds me, why doesn't the Verizon iPhone have 4.3 yet?
  • Reply 33 of 93
    bsblairbsblair Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

What about family members? Or do you actually think that people living in the same house should pay for multiple copies of the same content?

They definitely need to make it easy for this service to handle multiple users/multiple accounts.

Agree completely. I had an in depth conversation with an APple Store employee in Chicago a week ago about this. We use one iTunes apple account in our household. Between 2 iPads, 3 iphones, and 4 iPod Touches, we all use one apple ID for purchasing apps and music. I don't want to give my kids my Apple ID password for obvious reasons. Apple does have the mobileme family plan which we have and I'm curious to see what happens with the iCloud announcement.

I wish apple would come up with sub accounts for use in iTunes so that I my kids could each have their own ID and pw and I could put so much of a credit on their account. That way they don't go overboard, but we can all share our purchases.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Should have a way to permanently delete "purchased apps" from the iCloud. A bunch of stupid shite that just needs to go away and clutters my view. I deleted it for a reason.

It needs a... Right swipe > Permanently Delete? > YES.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsblair View Post

Agree completely. I had an in depth conversation with an APple Store employee in Chicago a week ago about this. We use one iTunes apple account in our household. Between 2 iPads, 3 iphones, and 4 iPod Touches, we all use one apple ID for purchasing apps and music. I don't want to give my kids my Apple ID password for obvious reasons. Apple does have the mobileme family plan which we have and I'm curious to see what happens with the iCloud announcement.

I wish apple would come up with sub accounts for use in iTunes so that I my kids could each have their own ID and pw and I could put so much of a credit on their account. That way they don't go overboard, but we can all share our purchases.

That's an interesting point.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Like, that "how to cheat and not get caught" app? Um, you're so screwed.

Stop being a dick, he's talking about seeing the total amount of cash he's spent at iTunes over the years.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

I can see this on my iPad, but not on my Verizon iPhone. Must be exclusive to 4.3? Which reminds me, why doesn't the Verizon iPhone have 4.3 yet?

Seems that way. I wish 4.3 would get pushed to Verizon soon...
  • Reply 38 of 93
    wattsupwattsup Posts: 38member
    Yes, I selected the Download link that you are taken to when you click on the "Purchased [NEW]" button in iTunes and it is needlessly downloading v10.2.2 even though that is the version I am currently using.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    bsblairbsblair Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

The apple website says available now to iOS 4.3 which we don't have as Verizon customers. I sure hope they come out with an update soon.
  • Reply 40 of 93
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:

In my opinion today's announcements raise lots of questions about what is tied to an Apple ID. It can't be uncommon for multiple household members to share an Apple ID.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsblair View Post

Interesting points. There are a lot of scenarios where Apple, the record labels, TV/movie distributors, etc., will eventually need to have a policy and some sort of customer service mechanism for resolving:

1. Marriage -- Would Apple allow you to merge your accounts so you can combine your music and apps?

2. Divorce -- Does the judge award the account to somebody? Would Apple issue separate accounts that each have all of the content? Do you have to show Apple a copy of the divorce decree?

3. Sub-accounts for kids -- Would all of the purchases also show up on the parent account? Should that be a Yes/No option?

4. Migrated accounts for kids -- When a kid turns 18, can he take his sub account with him? Does the stuff disappear from the parent account?

Some of this sounds silly, but it's going to come up -- especially as the number of $1k-plus music/app data bases continues to increase.