Apple's iPhone is top-seller at 58% of AT&T, Verizon stores

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

First of all, Sloppyism wrote that he knew "exactly" how much profit Apple makes off iphones because "they post it every year". Since he's seriously wrong on both counts, your defense of him (or are you the same person) is off the mark.

Second, did you take economics or accounting? If you did, you'd know that gross margin does not translate directly to how much profit you truly make off something. Furthermore, if you actually read Apple's 10-Q, you'd know that even your method estimate of the gross margin of the iphone alone is totally unreliable.

Please, if you only read headlines and press releases, are you really qualified to laugh at those who spend time learning the detailed facts?

Ignorance is really not worth showing off. Really not.

http://www.macstories.net/news/apple...on-ipads-sold/

This doesn't give you the exact amount of profit from iphones but enough data to get a really good estimate. Also, since pretty much every damn analyst known to man states that Apple makes the majority of all handset profits, I'm not sure wth you are arguing. And finally, you must not read this blog that often because they run multiple stories running up to the quarterly earnings call.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    Quote:

First of all, Sloppyism wrote that he knew "exactly" how much profit Apple makes off iphones because "they post it every year". Since he's seriously wrong on both counts, your defense of him (or are you the same person) is off the mark.

Second, did you take economics or accounting? If you did, you'd know that gross margin does not translate directly to how much profit you truly make off something. Furthermore, if you actually read Apple's 10-Q, you'd know that even your method estimate of the gross margin of the iphone alone is totally unreliable.

Please, if you only read headlines and press releases, are you really qualified to laugh at those who spend time learning the detailed facts?

Up to a point you were amusing. Now you are just immature and argumentative without a basis in facts that would support your argument. And when asked for facts you deflect. If you have something intelligent to offer put it on the table alongside your badly tarnished speculation to see if your command of facts makes up for your deplorable writing and conduct in this thread. Otherwise you hang on the edge of the *ignore* abyss down which so many have plumented...

For example, did you know that Microsoft gets $5 for every HTC phone running Android (according to Citi analyst Walter Pritchard). With Google offering the Android OS for "free" to the handset makers the cost per Android phone for the handset makers just jumped considerably. Why, you ask? It is a patent settlement with HTC over intellectual property infringement suit Microsoft filed over multi-touch. Redmond also is suing other Android phone makers, and it’s looking for $7.50 to $12.50 per device, according to Pritchard.

This means that Microsoft is making more money off Android than they are off of Windows handsets (currently), and the formerly free Android OS is now costing HTC a tidy sum. And their earning report didn't reflect this settlement - that hits next quarter I believe.

See? Facts: easy to use simple to type and much shinier and attractive than unfounded and erroneous speculation.
  • Reply 63 of 107
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Apple tells you exactly how many units of iPhones they sell (btw, not 'shipped') every quarter. It's right there in every 10Q filing.

Based upon the gross margin information, as island hermit suggests, one can quite easily infer the operating margin within a fairly tight error band (since allocating the SG&A is not rocket science). One can then be conservative and take just the min of that error band -- and frankly, you probably know this, but are just being a jerk -- to conclude that the rest of the industry doesn't come close.

Going back to your original post, you still haven't shown us a link to audited sales numbers for a single Android handset maker. Why don't you do that first. Until then, it's mere posturing and ad hominems from your end.

Don't slink away..... yet....
  • Reply 64 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryV View Post

Is iPod Touch a phone??? Is iPad a phone??? Try to stick to SMARTPHONES ecosystems... you know iPhone, iPhone3G, iPhone3gs, iPhone4. When the iPad and iPod can be classified as a phone, you welcome to add them.

Why? Either what matters is device share or what matters is platform share. The only reason to care about Android as a platform is because of 'ecosystem' considerations. But it's actually a smaller ecosystem than iOS, in fact it's so fragmented that it's effectively tiny.

Consider this from today

Hulu Plus has followed Netflix down the Android path today with the announcement that its service is now available on six devices, starting with the Google Nexus One and Nexus S, Motorola Droid 2, Droid X, and Atrix, and the Inspire 4G from HTC.

When developers are releasing products a tiny subset of specific models like this, then your platform isn't a platform in any meaningful way.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member
    I agree - stop being a jerk, Stelligent. As you can see, good comments are always welcome but there's no need to insult people.

But Stelligent makes a good point - Just because AAPL makes a big chunk of the profit does not mean others are not making respectable profits. He seems to be quoting real references and not analyst estimates. I do find that credible. Still, being informed does not give you the right to be arrogant.

I'd be sad, however, if an Android phone beats out iphone as the top device. As someone who lined up for every iphone, I do hope their next iphone will make the droids look like scrap iron.

I am curious, does AAPL post every quarter what their iphone profits are? We have someone here (the jerk) saying not and we have another guy (who has gone silent) saying yes. I would love to know who's right about this. How about we get to the bottom of this intelligently and diplomatically, and cut out the "noise"?
  • Reply 66 of 107
    Apple breaks out almost everything including iphones (the exceptions being appletv, airport express, time capsule, etc.) every quarter.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

... Stelligent ... seems to be quoting real references and not analyst estimates. I do find that credible.

Honestly, I must have missed it with everything flying back and forth: he provided sales numbers of Android handsets for HTC and Samsung? If so, where?
  • Reply 68 of 107
    Quote:

I am curious, does AAPL post every quarter what their iphone profits are? We have someone here (the jerk) saying not and we have another guy (who has gone silent) saying yes. I would love to know who's right about this. How about we get to the bottom of this intelligently and diplomatically, and cut out the "noise"?

See post #64 above.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

It's sarcasm - mocking the fact that people here don't know facts. It's just about passion. That's all right. Not everyone has to be intelligent.

Actually the 2:1 iOS:Android claim isn't just made up.

200mil iOS devices were announced in the keynote at WWDC. - check the transcript if you don't believe me

100mil Android activations were announced by Google a month earlier/

It's obviously not exactly 2:1 because Amazon were probably at around 110mil in June, so 2:1.1, but close enough.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See post #64 above.

Thanks but ... Sorry, I don't see anything in #64 about iphone profits being posted. Can you quote it for me? Thanks!
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:

Thanks but ... Sorry, I don't see anything in #64 about iphone profits being posted. Can you quote it for me? Thanks!

Not profits, unit sales. Did you see the point then about gross margins being known (from teardowns), and then allocating SG&A?

Btw, stelligent's link you referred to......?
  • Reply 72 of 107
    I just re-read the thread and I don't see any links or quotes from stelligent that were informative
  • Reply 73 of 107
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

He seems to be quoting real references and not analyst estimates.

Link... please.

(I do find it funny, actually... highly coincidental, that one guy disappears, Stelligent, and then all of a sudden you appear)
  • Reply 74 of 107
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Up to a point you were amusing. Now you are just immature and argumentative without a basis in facts that would support your argument. And when asked for facts you deflect. If you have something intelligent to offer put it on the table alongside your badly tarnished speculation to see if your command of facts makes up for your deplorable writing and conduct in this thread. Otherwise you hang on the edge of the *ignore* abyss down which so many have plumented...

For example, did you know that Microsoft gets $5 for every HTC phone running Android (according to Citi analyst Walter Pritchard). With Google offering the Android OS for "free" to the handset makers the cost per Android phone for the handset makers just jumped considerably. Why, you ask? It is a patent settlement with HTC over intellectual property infringement suit Microsoft filed over multi-touch. Redmond also is suing other Android phone makers, and it?s looking for $7.50 to $12.50 per device, according to Pritchard.

This means that Microsoft is making more money off Android than they are off of Windows handsets (currently), and the formerly free Android OS is now costing HTC a tidy sum. And their earning report didn't reflect this settlement - that hits next quarter I believe.

See? Facts: easy to use simple to type and much shinier and attractive than unfounded and erroneous speculation.

And that is just the start.

Nokia, Oracle, and Apple are up next and Android may indeed be an expensive OS to ship before long, particularly when so few manufacturers were reporting significant profits in the first place.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    I don't know if it has been brought up earlier (I did not read all of the comments, excuse me), but why didn't AI mention that they only compared this with 4G Android phones when they conducted this survey? It actually wasn't iOS vs Android, it was iOS vs 4G equipped Android Why the heck would they do that? Just compare it to Android and settle this debate once and for all
  • Reply 76 of 107
    It wasn't iOS vs. Android. It was what handset was the top seller. I didn't see the 4G criteria but I would suspect that difference was made because android 4G phones sell more than the less equipped ones.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

It wasn't iOS vs. Android. It was what handset was the top seller. I didn't see the 4G criteria but I would suspect that difference was made because android 4G phones sell more than the less equipped ones.

Ah. That makes more sense, thank you
  • Reply 78 of 107
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

IMO iPhone 5 will surge like all past releases, then lose big time to android. What apple need is a cheaper alternative.

That's if marketshare is the only metric you use.

Fun Fact: Apple had $6 BILLION in revenue last quarter... from a freaking cell phone.

3 months... 18 million iPhones sold.

Remember... Apple is the only company who sells iPhones... while "Android" is a collective term for many manufacturers selling phones running Google's Android OS.

Android will have more marketshare... but Apple will make more money. Any sane businessman will tell you which one is more important.

As much as I'd like to see more iPhones out in the street... Apple isn't exactly losing here...

Marketshare is only good for fanboys to argue about
  • Reply 79 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

That's if marketshare is the only metric you use.

Fun Fact: Apple had $6 BILLION in revenue last quarter... from a freaking cell phone.

3 months... 18 million iPhones sold.

Remember... Apple is the only company who sells iPhones... while "Android" is a collective term for many manufacturers selling phones running Google's Android OS.

Android will have more marketshare... but Apple will make more money. Any sane businessman will tell you which one is more important.

As much as I'd like to see more iPhones out in the street... Apple isn't exactly losing here...

Marketshare is only good for fanboys to argue about

To be fair, marketshare does matter somewhat. If it is too small, then developers have less incentive to make apps for the platform. I doubt Apple has to worry about that though. As long as they have a nice chunk of the high end (which is the sector that actually spends money on apps), Apple will be more than fine.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    steinarsteinar Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Intelligence is a good tool. Use it if you have it.

Quote:

That's all right. Not everyone has to be intelligent.

Quote:

So check off English 101 as well when you go sign up for a course in accounting.

Quote:

In your humble opinion?