United Airlines uses 11,000 iPads to take planes paperless

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

iPad with a 10 hour battery on an 11 hour flight...

The iPad 2 claims the same standby time as the iPad 1: 30 days. So unless it's being used continuously at fairly high brightness for 10 hours, it shouldn't even need to be plugged in (which of course it can be).
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

does this worry anyone?

No Angry Birds on the flight deck.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    Quote:

does this worry anyone?

Why would it? No really!, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Is it because of "Angry Birds" or whatever?... do you really think they don't already have their own iPhone, Droid, iPad, etc available if that's what they want to do?

As for battery life... there are "normal" 110v outlets in the cockpit. (at least on Boeing.)

The paper copy?... it'll be up to date as well. More so than the current "paper" method because it won't be the pilots that have to keep it updated.

(And none of the pilots at United have actually received any of these rumored iPads yet ! )
  • Reply 24 of 78
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:

They can plug in AC adapter to charge the iPad, I believe. Battery life won't be a prob for 20 hr flights across the Pacific ...
  • Reply 25 of 78
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Deleted
  • Reply 26 of 78
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Quote:

/

/

/

You can charge and recharge any electronics on an airplane. An airplane engine is a flying power generator.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    gromitgromit Posts: 37member
    Quote:

/

/

/

Last time I was on a plane, it used electricity.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

does this worry anyone?

Give us a break. Let's see what's more of a worry:

Pilots being arrested for being drunk before the plane takes off.

Pilots falling asleep and being inattentive resulting in overshooting the runway, or going to wrong city?

And then there's the horrible "Using an iPad instead of searching through reams of papers and binders searching for potentially outdated information when they could find it in seconds with minimal time being taken away from looking out the freaking front window".

Yeah, that's a horrible scenario.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Nice. That's it- just "nice"!
  • Reply 30 of 78
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i was on a five-hour united flight last month, and seated next to a 777 pilot who was hitching a ride home. we had a great chat and he really liked my ipad. he was talking about how they were switching to electronic flight bags, how much he really wanted the ipad, but that he really didn't think united would spend the money for them. glad to see he got his wish.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Will they have to switch them off completely during take off and landing?

No, airplane mode would suffice. Technically the wifi and cell radio frequencies have no effect on the functioning of the aircraft, it is primarily a rule for passengers so that they will pay attention during the flight attendants instructions and also to minimize loose metal objects from sailing around the cabin during take off and landing should there be any unexpected and abrupt movements of the aircraft.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

Awesome! Paperless cockpits leading the charge to paperless offices-Hopefully

I'm just waiting for the paperless toilets.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    "As Jobs Is My Co-pilot"
  • Reply 34 of 78
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    I just flew across country in my private plane, using the ipad as my SOLE source for charts and plates (with backup paper, just in case). Worked beautifully, and flew many instrument approaches without a hitch. Had a charger, but didn't need it, because on the long stretches of straight and level flight, you can easily close the smart cover, to conserve battery power, if you need to, and you don't need to look at the charts except when changes to routes occur, or during takeoffs and landings. Don't forget that the aircraft avionics are doing all the flying, and the ipad is merely used for situational awareness, not for any primary flying. Software is now being tested to bring inflight weather mapping, but commercial planes have radar anyway, so, once again, an ipad enhances safety, and removes the paper chart distractions. Anything that can be done to remove workload is a benefit. I specifically bought the ipad2 to use for flying, and it has been worth every penny.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Naah. Not at all,

Bad enough people are driving cars while texting.

And kids are walking down the street bumping into lamp posts while tweeting.

And train operators in California are face booking with rail fans and causing head on collisions.

By all means, let airline pilots play angry birds while flying the plane.

Welcome to the post pc era folks.

You know how I know you aren't a pilot?
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Outstanding.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "iPads to replace paper flight bags?

Not to be crude, but... wouldn?t the spit-up just slide right off it?
  • Reply 38 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

iHating Apple trolls have conveniently been silent as the boards have been displaying this development.

Now that the iPad effectively stands alone, they have switched arguments to say that tablets are useless.

This article leans heavily towards the disadvantages of the tablet form factor and does not really site any of the advantages. Does not acknowledge that their are advantages and disadvantages to every form factor.

Engadget
  • Reply 39 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Notebook of the near future.

• Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I just flew across country in my private plane, using the ipad as my SOLE source for charts and plates (with backup paper, just in case). Worked beautifully, and flew many instrument approaches without a hitch. Had a charger, but didn't need it, because on the long stretches of straight and level flight, you can easily close the smart cover, to conserve battery power, if you need to, and you don't need to look at the charts except when changes to routes occur, or during takeoffs and landings. Don't forget that the aircraft avionics are doing all the flying, and the ipad is merely used for situational awareness, not for any primary flying. Software is now being tested to bring inflight weather mapping, but commercial planes have radar anyway, so, once again, an ipad enhances safety, and removes the paper chart distractions. Anything that can be done to remove workload is a benefit. I specifically bought the ipad2 to use for flying, and it has been worth every penny.

Who's software package have you been using? I see United are going for Jeppesen, but I believe there are multiple options out there.

I'm about to start flying again after a year out (taildragger training starts in 5 hours!) and was thinking about subscribing to something like this, instead of heading to the pilots shop to update all my charts/AFD etc. I'd appreciate your advice on what you've found, what you like and don't like about it etc.