Apple's iOS unaffected by malware as Android exploits surge 76%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

I wonder if apple haters will try and claim this is still just security through obscurity?

In reality, secured app store, aka "walled-gardens" FTW.

Given the popularity of iOS, it seems unlikely that obscurity explains it. I think that the curation process, as you say, is the real explanation.

There are good aspects to Apple's insistence that if you want to buy software for iOS, you gotta buy it from them.

Another factor WRT Android is that the anti-malware industry is still young for the platform. I think that eventually, seamless background processes will be developed that will lessen the prevalence of malware on Android. I think the current situation is to be fully expected, but that in time, the problem will lessen so that knowledgeable users will have little to no real problems, much like today's Windows boxes.
  • Reply 42 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

McAfee did note that Apple's Mac platform has faced a threat from a fake anti-virus malware called MacDefender. The firm speculated that such attacks would eventually make their way to the iPhone and iPad, calling it a "case of "when" rather than "if.""

Not sure what this analyst is thinking, but how is malware going to infect the iTunes store? I don't see the correlation between OSX and app from the web and iOS with an app from the app store. As posted earlier a major outbreak in OSX has been an "when, not if" condition since the beginning. So again, I don't see how that reflects on iOS at all.
  • Reply 43 of 123
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Been using Android since around 2007, not one instance of Malware on any of my devices.

With a little bit of intelligence on where you source your apps, the kind of apps you install and checking out app permissions, you can easily avoid any trouble.

Some many need someone else to wipe their bottoms and that's cool, I'm big enough, clever enough and ugly enough to wipe my own thanks.

Uh, wasn't the tmobile g1 released at the end of 2008? And it was the first android phone to hit the market. Were you using a beta version of android?
  • Reply 44 of 123
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Well this isn't really about Apple haters, it's about Android haters. How else would you describe people that do not use Android, yet spend a lot of time trying to convince others how insecure Android is? Do you really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks? Newsflash: not everyone needs constant reassurance.

Android IS open, and really open to malware.

Tick tock tick tock.

Matter of time until thieves start stealing loads of data from folks.

It'll make malware on a PC look like shoplifting.
  • Reply 45 of 123
    Quote:

I'm sorry that the meaning of my comment went so much above your head. Let's try again: Why do you need to discuss something that is sh1tty?

For the same reasons some Red Sox fans like to dis the Yankees, and for the same reasons that some Christians like to harp on the evil of other sects of Christians, and some political folks like to demonize people with different leanings.

It's a black/white, hooray for our side, good/evil, "we're better", "I'm a winner" thing for the insecure among us.
  • Reply 46 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Yet another bit of evidence to tear down that long-standing myth that viruses only emerge for the platform with the most market share--a frequently used albeit totally flawed argument in defense of Windows' security shortcomings. iOS is bigger (in terms of the entire platform, counting iPads and iPod Touches) than Android and yet it's Android drawing all the viruses. If market share were as important in that regard as many claim, it would be iOS.

Market share is a very important factor.

But it is not the only factor. The world is seldom black and white. Multi-factor analysis is becoming increasingly important, given that the complexity of our world is increasing at an exponential rate. If you look at only one factor, you are looking at only one tree and missing the forest.
  • Reply 47 of 123
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Do you really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks? Newsflash: not everyone needs constant reassurance.

In fact you can go to any mobile centric web site and read Android fan's posts raging against Apple and iOS. Every time an article shows up about the success of iOS devices the Fandroids crawl out of the woodwork in droves. It's you who needs the constant reassurance. Why else would a Fandroid like yourself join an Apple centric forum for the express purpose of trashing Apple at every opportunity?
  • Reply 48 of 123
    Quote:

Well this isn't really about Apple haters, it's about Android haters. How else would you describe people that do not use Android, yet spend a lot of time trying to convince others how insecure Android is? Do you really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks? Newsflash: not everyone needs constant reassurance.

I only hate android because the fandroids are obnoxious activists with some serious mommy and daddy issues that will buy anything but apple just because.

I really don't hate the OS, it's like hating someone because they are inadequate. I mean the thing looks and feels like it's been hacked together.... Feels like LINUX FFS! I consider it a project more or less.

Now if I can get a touchpad I may consider putting Android on it so it has a lifeline, but i'd never use it for anything that matters.... I don't hate it! IT SUCKS!
  • Reply 49 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just want to add I like being in the walled garden. Perhaps Apple should make more of the advantages and use that phrase in ads.

Brave New World might work better.
  • Reply 50 of 123
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Seriously?

Quote:

Do you really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks?

• Reply 51 of 123
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Or maybe it is Apple has thirty years of experience designing operating systems and is far more familiar with keeping security in mind. Google didn't build Android from the ground up. Security measures are an after thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Given the popularity of iOS, it seems unlikely that obscurity explains it. I think that the curation process, as you say, is the real explanation.

• Reply 52 of 123
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

They have plenty, they are the ones I place in the ignore list for the most part.

As to your concern that Apple users are discussing this, check out the OP's heading.

Back on topic .... The first reply was spot on. I just want to add I like being in the walled garden. Perhaps Apple should make more of the advantages and use that phrase in ads. Given Android and PC users love to use that phrase all the time they'd be helping the cause.

My iPhone doesn't live in a 'walled garden'... it just doesn't sleep around.
  • Reply 53 of 123
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

They have plenty, they are the ones I place in the ignore list for the most part.

As to your concern that Apple users are discussing this, check out the OP's heading.

Back on topic .... The first reply was spot on. I just want to add I like being in the walled garden. Perhaps Apple should make more of the advantages and use that phrase in ads. Given Android and PC users love to use that phrase all the time they'd be helping the cause.

I can see it now - first your show chaos and turmoil, pain and suffering, think medieval images of hell, then pan over to peace and light and joy, etc, think images of Heaven, then pull back to a sign that says Welcome to the Garden, then pull back a little farther and the sign is in the back of an Apple Store, then come down and zoom in as customer is handed their new iPhone and waved on towards the "pearly" gates.
  • Reply 54 of 123
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Do you really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks?

You thought that you were asking a rhetorical question and that a negative answer was obvious on the face of it, but...

There is an Android fan (and Apple hater) in my office that does EXACTLY that. A few times a week, he stops by my office to needle me about some perceived flaw or inconvenience in the Apple model, especially with regard to the iOS walled garden. I just listen and then finish my day.

Sure, that's only one example, but we see it on AI as well. People do, in fact, jump right on over here to this Apple forum and discuss how much Apple sucks. Some of those are just drive-by bashers that enjoy tweaking other people's noses just for kicks, but others are quite fervent in their anti-Apple religion. So do I really believe that anyone on Android fan sites spends time discussing how much iOS sucks? Yes. I really believe that some do. Not everybody, mind you, and certainly not a huge fraction of the time. But some of this behavior must be there too. It is a cultural phenomenon for any successful company to have its legion of haters that take their fight to any and every forum.

When it came to Mac OS X's lower rate of exploits in the wild, some of these haters turned the table on Apple and suggested that this was only a result of security through obscurity (as the poster above mentioned). Their mantra: the lack of viruses on Mac OS X is only proof of how small the market share is, for what self-respecting virus writer would even waste his time trying to hurt such a small group of people? And you know what? There may have been a small bit of truth to that, although Microsoft made its security bed a long time ago when it decided that applications would run with full privileges. They managed to put their finger in that dike over the last decade, but new leaks spring up at a spectacular rate, and their reputation has been sealed. Meanwhile, the Mac OS plods on with its lower (but rapidly increasing) market share.

Now that the Mac OS is heading down the same road that iOS traveled (i.e. with the App Store walled garden approach) its security will improve. The flip side is that getting weird and flexible apps for your machines will be harder. And my office-mate will continue to bash. That's fine. I'll enjoy the simplicity and security, and he can enjoy his hobby.

Thompson
  • Reply 55 of 123
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

I wonder if apple haters will try and claim this is still just security through obscurity?

In reality, secured app store, aka "walled-gardens" FTW.

as an owner of every gen of iphone, and an ipad 2 and mac minis and mac books and such, Visa and Amex dont think im an apple hater but it is absolutely a walled garden or gated community if you will...I forget who said this but the best describtion is that the web and internet in general (think wide open) is like a big city, lots of interesting things happening and artsy districts, great indy music scene, night life, farmers markets and such, with downsides like crime. iOS apps are the suburbs, low crime, cookie cutter houses and neighborhood committies that make you explain to your nosey neighbors why you want to paint your house a color other than beige, but its clean predictable and "nice" if you are into that sort of thing..

Perhaps its my libertarian side but Andriod is looking better all the time - I dont like being told that my home screen must be a grid of icons because Steve likes it that way.
  • Reply 56 of 123
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Or maybe it is Apple has thirty years of experience designing operating systems and is far more familiar with keeping security in mind. Google didn't build Android from the ground up. Security measures are an after thought.

IMO, the two OS's are equally secure, so it's not any issue of Android or iOS itself. It's in the way Apple curates it's app market compared to the too open nature of Android app availability.

With Android there's no one official entity taking responsibility on an app by app basis to see if they're what they claim to be. Even tho Apple may not thoroughly examine each and every app before it gets approved, they do at least give them a once-over to see if they comply with Apple's basic terms and check for obvious problems. That's more than Google does with the Android Market, where they rely more on user reports to identify apps that may have ulterior motives.
  • Reply 57 of 123
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

For the same reasons some Red Sox fans like to dis the Yankees, and for the same reasons that some Christians like to harp on the evil of other sects of Christians, and some political folks like to demonize people with different leanings.

It's a black/white, hooray for our side, good/evil, "we're better", "I'm a winner" thing for the insecure among us.

As an old adage goes .... Humans kind of suck when you think about, except you and me of course and even your a bit ....
  • Reply 58 of 123
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO, the two OS's are equally secure, so it's not any issue of Android or iOS itself. It's in the way Apple curates it's app market compared to the too open nature of Android app availability.

With Android there's no one official entity taking responsibility on an app by app basis to see if they're what they claim to be. Even tho Apple may not thoroughly examine each and every app before it gets approved, they do at least give them a once-over to see if they comply with Apple's basic terms and check for obvious problems. That's more than Google does with the Android Market, where they rely more on user reports to identify apps that may have ulterior motives.

I'm sure you are correct. Apple should run ads saying "Come work and play in our beautiful, safe walled garden". I know I'd rather be on the inside, safe and secure.
  • Reply 59 of 123
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Been using Android since around 2007, not one instance of Malware on any of my devices.

With a little bit of intelligence on where you source your apps, the kind of apps you install and checking out app permissions, you can easily avoid any trouble.

Some many need someone else to wipe their bottoms and that's cool, I'm big enough, clever enough and ugly enough to wipe my own thanks.

You know what's funny? I'm also capable of wiping my bottom, and have unfortunately had the unpleasant experience of having to wipe other people's bottoms on occasion, both literally (as in my children when they were infants) and figuratively (as in other adults who can't wipe their own when it comes to computers... even Windows users!) There are a lot of people out there who need their bottoms wiped, and I can tell you for sure that a significant fraction of Android users fall in that category as well, given that it has successfully been mass-marketed and not just confined to geeks anymore.

Oh yeah, I forgot to get to the funny part: I may be fully capable of wiping my own bottom, and that's cool, but I'm big enough, sensitive enough, and attractive enough to get it wiped for me now and then. It feels nice not to have to bother.

Thompson
  • Reply 60 of 123
    Quote:

I'm sure you are correct. Apple should run ads saying "Come work and play in our beautiful, safe walled garden". I know I'd rather be on the inside, safe and secure.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad for you.

The post above comparing Android and iOS to city living vs. a gated community is pretty accurate, IMO. Both types of situations appeal to different sorts of people.

Me, after living in an upscale 'burb for over 20 years, at the insistence of my ex-, I'm moving back into the city. And I'm very excited to be doing so.