Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

BS - I'm not expecting a Pulitzer. If you want to spend your time reading National Enquirer, be my guest.

The National Enquirer got it right about that weasly, little scumbag, John Edwards. All other media stayed away from and ignored that story and they were dead wrong. And no, I don't buy or read the National Enquirer in case anybody feels the sudden urge to come with a snarky remark aimed at me.
  • Reply 62 of 155
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Considering that the new iphone 5 is coming out next month, i am surprised one hasn't leaked from a plant in China yet. I mean come on. There is more chance of that happening then an employee from Apple losing one in a bar....even tho its happened twice already. Lol.

I mean in China they have illegal apple stores in plain sight selling actual apple products stolen from factories.....so how hard could it be to swipe the next iphone which i am sure is in production over there.
  • Reply 63 of 155
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Great reference.

Thought the same thing the moment I saw the story...

and the audio from that scene:

http://www.moviesounds.com/redoct/another.mp3
  • Reply 64 of 155
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

The original story on Cnet doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire story (and right now it sounds like a made up story) is attributed to "the source".

1) Cnet contacts SFPD and writes "A spokesman for the San Francisco Police Department said [Apple] did not file a police report". Then Cnet quotes "the source" and says "Apple representatives contacted San Francisco police, saying the device was priceless and the company was desperate to secure its safe return, the source said."

So, either the SFPD is lying to Cnet or "the source" is making it up.

2) "The source" said it was sold on eBay for $200? Now that's just ridiculous. Last year Giz paid $5,000 for a prototype iPhone. Most working iPhone 4's go for $300-$400+ on Craigslist. This anonymous source says a prototype went for $200? Do they think we're stupid? Well, obviously Cnet is, they published the fictional story.

3) Cnet says "Still unclear are details about the device, what version of the iOS operating system it was running, and what it looks like."

So, you're telling me this anonymous source knew which bar the phone was lost at, who's house the police supposedly went to, and how much it sold for on craigslist, but they couldn't describe what it looked like?

I'm sorry, but this story just doesn't add up. Cnet should be ashamed of itself for publishing such drivel. I feel stupider for having read the article. Might as well be in the national inquirer.

Do you really have to copy+paste spam this on every site that ran this story?
  • Reply 65 of 155
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnb0002002 View Post

Scavenger hunt?

Is more of a geocache. You open an app and go around area bars looking for iPhone prototype using gps. Must be a lot of fun.
  • Reply 66 of 155
    Someone please make it stop! I'm usually concentrating on my iPhone the entire time I'm out, wherever I may be. Come on, this is a prototype. If you have such disregard for such an important task, I don't think you should have your hands on one until you purchase your own, after initial announcements, with the rest of us.....
  • Reply 67 of 155
    If that is true that the "source" said the prototype iphone 5 sold on ebay for $200....I'd have to call BS as well. $200? Not bloody likely! :-P

Heck, the prototype 2007 macbook pro with the sliding hidden 3G antennae was listed on ebay for $70,000 before it was taken down. And Gizmodo did buy the last prototype iphone for $5 Grand.
  • Reply 68 of 155
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member
    Quote:

The original story on Cnet doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire story (and right now it sounds like a made up story) is attributed to "the source".

1) Cnet contacts SFPD and writes "A spokesman for the San Francisco Police Department said [Apple] did not file a police report". Then Cnet quotes "the source" and says "Apple representatives contacted San Francisco police, saying the device was priceless and the company was desperate to secure its safe return, the source said."

Reporting a theft to the police is not the same thing as filling out a formal police report. Apple can confidentially work with the police to recover something without filling out a form that would become publicly available, to say, CNET.

Quote:

2) "The source" said it was sold on eBay for $200? Now that's just ridiculous. Last year Giz paid $5,000 for a prototype iPhone. Most working iPhone 4's go for $300-$400+ on Craigslist. This anonymous source says a prototype went for $200? Do they think we're stupid? Well, obviously Cnet is, they published the fictional story.

If somebody walks into a Mission hipster dive and finds an iPhone prototype, they're not likely to know a) that its a prototype or b) what Gizmodo or some other media outfit or competitor would pay for it. The Mission is a working class neighborhood where you probably wouldn't want to even flash your iPhone around, lest you might have it stolen.

Quote:

3) Cnet says "Still unclear are details about the device, what version of the iOS operating system it was running, and what it looks like."

So, you're telling me this anonymous source knew which bar the phone was lost at, who's house the police supposedly went to, and how much it sold for on craigslist, but they couldn't describe what it looked like?

A source could be aware of the investigation without having first hand knowledge of the device. And as CNET reported, there was no official police report documenting exactly what was lost. That's what they were noting. Clearly Apple has no interest in advertising that they lost another prototype, particularly any details that might suggest how valuable/different it was.

I will not ever be hiring you as a detective.
  • Reply 69 of 155
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Jesus, this is quite a screw-up. How many people do they have to fire before they can get rid of the careless drunks from their payrolls?

Comments regarding drinking are silly here. There's probably some kind of protocol that was violated related to taking sensitive property such as a product prototype off site. Whether they frequent bars or not I can't imagine it's normal for employees to casually carry something like this around with them.
  • Reply 70 of 155
    jonrojonro Posts: 66member
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but this story just doesn't add up. Cnet should be ashamed of itself for publishing such drivel. I feel stupider for having read the article. Might as well be in the national inquirer.

Let's say that the perp didn't realize it was a prototype of a new model. Not everyone is up on the exact design parameters of iPhones. Then, thinking it was just a used iPhone, sold it for $200. Makes sense then, doesn't it? Also, why assume that the tester was drunk or otherwise careless. Maybe his pocket was picked. Maybe it was in a backpack and someone rifled through it when he wasn't looking. All sorts of things could have happened.
  • Reply 71 of 155
    If the iPhone 5 looks anything like those shitty huge screen mockups, I can imagine where the prototype is. Either busted in a landfill or in the hands of fake iPhone makers, wondering which one of their 'pals' did this job.
  • Reply 72 of 155
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    I did not know Apple had hired Homer Simpson.
  • Reply 73 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Comments regarding drinking are silly here. There's probably some kind of protocol that was violated related to taking sensitive property such as a product prototype off site. Whether they frequent bars or not I can't imagine it's normal for employees to casually carry something like this around with them.

Maybe Apple wants testers to actually test them in different locations under different circumstances. Maybe the new iPhone has some new noise canceling technology and they want testers to try them out in noisy public places. That seems plausible to me. Just because it's a prototype, doesn't mean that it looks any different or much different from any other iPhone. As long as they don't test the built-in holographic projector while they're in the bar, who would know it's an iPhone 5?
  • Reply 74 of 155
    modemode Posts: 163member
    I wonder if Apple will mobilize the National Guard? Truck innocent people off to Guantanamo for interrogations. I wonder what 'body count' Apple deems acceptable collateral damage in recovering their phone.

I guess Obama has no choice now but to pull troops out of Afghanistan to re-deploy in San Fran.

Whatever their next move is, civil liberties will be suspended in San Fran until the phone is repatriated to Apple.
  • Reply 75 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

number of world's-most-valuable companies steve jobs has created: 1

number of world's-most-valuable companies troll owen35 has built: 0

tool.

Maybe two, if you count Pixar.
  • Reply 76 of 155
    Oh come on. You don't think alcohol had anything to do with it? Lol. Yeah riiiiiight. If that were the case, the iphones would have been left in a park, or a mall, or any other public establishment. They weren't. Providing the second story is true, BOTH times the prototype was left in a bar. That's not a just a coinkydink...theres a reason for it....and that reason is ALCOHOL.

You don't just leave a prototype of the most sought after gadget in the world in a public place....TWICE....without being alittle tipsy. I am sorry. :-P
  • Reply 77 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "Lost in a bar" is the new "elevator shot".
  • Reply 78 of 155
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    It's real simple: The person gets fired. Leaving the prototype in the bar where one most certainly is getting a few drinks is completely unprofessional and as such they should relinquish their job seeing as they were responsible for such an important piece of R&D.

Sorry, but I'd expect after the first mistake that part of the internal NDA agreement extension for such sensitive work would include losing your job if you fail.
  • Reply 79 of 155
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

I am an alcoholic and I've never lost my phone..

It takes a special kind of drunk to lose two prototypes of the world's most popular smartphone.

It seems a bit suspicious that it would happen twice in the same circumstances. Almost like they want to drum up some free publicity. After all, who really cares if people find out what it looks like beforehand? It's not going to stop people buying it, it's only going to make people more interested because they know it's real and coming soon.

The worst thing that could happen to a prototype iPhone is that nobody even cares, nobody talks about it, nobody goes to the launch event and nobody queues up to buy one. Someone leaking a prototype is one of the best things they can do to have the press all over the world publicise the imminent launch.

It was over a month between the iPhone 4 drunken bar test and the announcement but that was to coincide with an event. It can be announced any time now. The sooner the better if they do indeed want to be the ones to deliver the surprise.
  • Reply 80 of 155
    this, folks, is viral marketing at it's best. if the story is even true..

is there really any way to get more buzz about a new product?