Google exec reiterates Motorola purchase not just for patents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

such seething hate for no real reason from users here.

They just "root, root, root for the home team"...

I don't quite understand being a fan of a corporation, but I see it as the same sort of thing as Red Sox fans hating the Yankees.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    Quote:

Also...90% of Google's business is not like Apple at all...oh wait...they design software...only Apple should be allowed to design software.

I think that Apple tried to patent that
  • Reply 23 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77T20I20110831

Interesting. Net purchase price for Google not as high as announced.

"The tax benefits of the deal make what was a good deal into a great deal," said Robert Willens, a New York accounting and tax expert. He estimated that through the acquisition, Google can expect to reap $700 million a year in tax deductions from future profits each year through 2019. Google also will be able to immediately reduce its taxes by $1 billion due to Motorola Mobility's U.S. net operating loss, and by a further $700 million due to its foreign operating loss, he said."

VERY interesting. It seems that most of the "anal-a-cysts" missed that little detail...
  • Reply 24 of 108
    Quote:

Hell, Android was designed to be scalable regardless...the BB style prototype was just one of I think 3 prototypes.

I think he's talking about the Schmidt was on Apple's board of directors thing...

which, if so, becomes the ONE time Apple has proven to not be willing to take an offender to court.

If people are hung up on Schmidt stealing iPhone secrets when he was a board member, they should remember that Google bought Android before iPhone was released.

Furthermore, the insistence of this version of history depicts Apple as stooges who can be easily fooled. In that case, they deserve whatever spell Google has ostensibly cast on them. But given the size of Cupertino's vault, what exactly is that spell?
  • Reply 25 of 108
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

such seething hate for no real reason from users here.

Such pointless participation from people who have contempt for their surroundings.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

"The tax benefits of the deal make what was a good deal into a great deal," said Robert Willens, a New York accounting and tax expert. He estimated that through the acquisition, Google can expect to reap $700 million a year in tax deductions from future profits each year through 2019. Google also will be able to immediately reduce its taxes by $1 billion due to Motorola Mobility's U.S. net operating loss, and by a further $700 million due to its foreign operating loss, he said."

VERY interesting. It seems that most of the "anal-a-cysts" missed that little detail...

That's missing the point. There is value in this deal - and people who jumped into making their comments without understanding everything are starting to look foolish. Do you really think Google plunked down $13 B on a whim?

The value falls into 3 areas:

- Tax benefits

- Value of patents and IP

- Value of operating division.

The first two are largely fixed. They are worth whatever they're worth - and Google doesn't have much control over that. What everyone is missing is the third one - they're not just buying patents and tax losses, they're buying an entire operating division - which thousands of employees, factories, products, assets, and so on. The key to the value of this deal is in maximizing the value of the operating division itself. One magazine has got it right:

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...art_aid=157475

As I said when this came out, I can picture Google breaking the division up:

- Unrelated businesses (walkie talkies and baby monitors) could be sold immediately. No need to keep them around. Since breaking a business up often unlocks hidden value, they may not even have to take a hit to do this

- Related businesses which have a hidden downside (mobile phone handsets). Google is smart enough to realize that competing with their Android customers carries risks - especially since Motorola wasn't competing all that effectively to start. Unless Google has some magic dust to make it more competitive (and their lack of hardware experience argues against this), this is a loser for them. Sell it off with a license to use the IP. I could picture RIM being interested, but perhaps Sony or some other company.

- Related non-cellphone businesses. This is where the real value is. Set-top boxes could be a HUGE winner for them. Entry into your living room. Given Google's overriding business plan to intrude itself into every element of your life and gather every piece of personal data about you that they can, this opportunity can not be ignored. Furthermore, it could easily be expanded. For example, wireless home phones could be upgraded to Android to become smart home phones. Google would now have access to every call you make except at work. They'd have a screen in front of you 18 hours a day (and 24 on weekends).

There's value here. The key will be watching for a Google announcement soon on selling off some of the unrelated businesses. You can bet that Google has a strategy to monetize this acquisition for far more than the $12.9 B they paid.
  • Reply 27 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It is only natural to be a little grumpy when teething.

So you're someone who hangs out with babies to feel like a big kid? Nice.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If people are hung up on Schmidt stealing iPhone secrets when he was a board member, they should remember that Google bought Android before iPhone was released.

This, of course, ignores the fact that the pre-iPhone Android looks absolutely nothing like the current (post-iPhone) Android. Clearly, the iPhone changed Android's direction immensely.

Quote:

Furthermore, the insistence of this version of history depicts Apple as stooges who can be easily fooled. In that case, they deserve whatever spell Google has ostensibly cast on them.

So the victim is always guilty? That's absurd. Apple trusted Schmidt to honor his non-disclosure agreement and to honor his fiduciary responsibility to Apple shareholders. How is it Apple's fault that Schmidt violated that trust? (although it would be interesting to see a shareholder suit against Schmidt).

Quote:

But given the size of Cupertino's vault, what exactly is that spell?

What does that have to do with anything? Apple is successful. That doesn't mean that Google didn't steal from them.

"Your Honor, I did steal $1,000,000 from Bill Gates, but given the size of his vault, no harm done, right?"
  • Reply 29 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

@AbsoluteDesignz this isn't a great site for comments, most come from rather uneducated fan boys. But then again most of the articles are also by ignorant fan boys, so just read it for the occasional actual news and don't let the comments get to you, it isn't worth the frustration.

Apple is to this site what Republicans are to FOX News.

Both provide an equal level of ignorant reporting and shameless bias.

Funny, I would have thought there were less objectionable ways of getting a bit of news than hanging out with "ignorant fanboys," I mean, you did register to be able to let everyone know you think the discussion is worthless. I'm guessing you also actually watch Fox news while smirking and reminding yourself that your better than all that?
  • Reply 30 of 108
    Hey, look! Over there! People I hate! Let's go over there and hang out and tell them about it! Ha ha I am certainly better than these people! I feel great! What do you mean, I'm fucking pathetic?
  • Reply 31 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post

More Google doublespeak and they wonder why they have a credibility problem.

The MM acquisition will probably go down in history as the moment Google 'jumped the shark'.

I think your missing the point, for example, all androids work well with gmail, calendars and so on and if not for them. .Mac wouldn't be free from now on.

I've played with some of the newer phones and they offer quite a bit.

Peace. I'm pro apple and have had 2 and latest iPhones but 4g is really fast. Like using wifi on the road. My .02 cents.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I never believed that Google paid $12.5 billion just to get at Moto's patents. They wanted to be a phone maker. They want to be Apple.

Agree! I suspect that Steve Jobs can see it and isn't afraid of it.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Such pointless participation from people who have contempt for their surroundings.

here I thought people were allowed to participate on whatever they wish on an open forum on an open web. Silly me.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    he's mocking the fact that I initially wrote teething instead of seething.

Quote:

So you're someone who hangs out with babies to feel like a big kid? Nice.

• Reply 35 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

They just "root, root, root for the home team"...

I don't quite understand being a fan of a corporation, but I see it as the same sort of thing as Red Sox fans hating the Yankees.

hmmmm. I never thought of it like that. I had a friend who broke his hand punching a wall when the Eagles came back to defeat the Giants in the 4th qtr. Upset is one thing, seething rage is irrational.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post

More Google doublespeak and they wonder why they have a credibility problem.

Spot on.

You can tell the difference when Larry & Eric and Steve Jobs speak to the media, Steve tells the truth, Larry and Eric lie.

Tip to Larry & Eric: Never lie to the media, we can instinctively tell when you're lying and it will be reported as such.
  • Reply 37 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This, of course, ignores the fact that the pre-iPhone Android looks absolutely nothing like the current (post-iPhone) Android. Clearly, the iPhone changed Android's direction immensely.

but it was still touch screen oriented if the hardware allowed for it. everyone keeps showing one Prototype. Also. duh Android changed directions after the iPhone. for a bunch of people who go on about how apple changed the game you sure get mad when others start playing too.

Quote:

So the victim is always guilty? That's absurd. Apple trusted Schmidt to honor his non-disclosure agreement and to honor his fiduciary responsibility to Apple shareholders. How is it Apple's fault that Schmidt violated that trust? (although it would be interesting to see a shareholder suit against Schmidt).

point is the fact that there are no lawsuits going on after all this time and no comments from anyone actually important at apple to support this claim suggests the whole scenario is a fanatical iPhanboy wish.

Quote:

What does that have to do with anything? Apple is successful. That doesn't mean that Google didn't steal from them.

"Your Honor, I did steal $1,000,000 from Bill Gates, but given the size of his vault, no harm done, right?"

you misunderstood him. not surprised.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    The current patent system is far better than what we had before. Companies like Apple have always innovated but use to have companies like Microsoft spend far less on R&D and just wait to see what they did and copy it. It was the lack of patent protections that nearly destroyed them. Without the current system I don't think Apple would have invested so much in the technologies they have over the last 12 years. Google is the new Microsoft. They think innovation is copying someone else's work and making changes to it. Some trolls might say hey, Apple copied Xerox, but there is a difference in licensing or buying tech and just stealing it.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Spot on.

You can tell the difference when Larry & Eric and Steve Jobs speak to the media, Steve tells the truth, Larry and Eric lie.

Tip to Larry & Eric: Never lie to the media, we can instinctively tell when you're lying and it will be reported as such.

wow. The Father. The Son. And Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:

Hey, look! Over there! People I hate! Let's go over there and hang out and tell them about it! Ha ha I am certainly better than these people! I feel great! What do you mean, I'm fucking pathetic?

hey, look! over there! people who agree with me no matter what and will never question anything I do as long as I mindlessly follow everything this one company does and treat them like gods. ha ha. I belong. my personal opinion is an echo of a crowd and not allowed to be anything else,but hey, I'm awesome. what so you mean I'm a mindless drone without a single independent thought?

I can play too big guy.

also my RSS feed shows appleinsider often. for the past few years I've periodically read their articles but had no account so never replied to some misinformation. some great points. some random tech news. now I joined so I can participate in these discussions.

sorry if you only wish for hivemindedness.