Google's Schmidt says he's a 'very proud former board member' of Apple [u]

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post


    I am sticking to my original comment. Google has not made any significant amount of money on Android, but it sure negatively affected Apple's market share in the smartphone market, which could have been much much higher if it weren't for Android. If Eric Schmidt were really a friend, he would not have gone ahead with Android, knowing how much Apple had invested in the iPhone project.



    At some point it was inevitable that Google was going to have to acquiesce to every Apple demand of it, or be kicked to the curb as an afterthought once Apple figured out a way to get around them. The partnership, if there ever truly was one, wasn't going to last for long.



    Apple doesn't take on partners. It's the boss. Period. It may offer carrots to suppliers and providers to bring them into the fold, but the pressure will always be on them to bend to Apple demands or hit the road. Nothing wrong with that, since it's just business. Apple's not trying to make friends or find partners. But Apple never considered Google as a partner IMO. They were simply an end to a means at the time, reportedly a weapon to be used against the "evil Microsoft". Once they were no longer necessary and Apple could grab part part of their market themselves they would have said goodbye to Google anyway.
  • Reply 82 of 97
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 83 of 97
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    How much advance information about the iPhone (before the January 2007 intro) was Schmidt, as a board member, given? Has anyone ever read anything about that?
  • Reply 84 of 97
    hmmm considering iOS came out in 07 and the first Android device in October of 2008...would Schmidt have even had to been on the board to know any details of iOS to make Android competitive?



    Everyone wants to harp about how Apple changed the game and then they want to bitch when others play the game.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    How much advance information about the iPhone (before the January 2007 intro) was Schmidt, as a board member, given? Has anyone ever read anything about that?



    He didn't join Apple's board until the very end of August in 2006. The iPhone was announced roughly 4 months later. But it wasn't any surprise to those in the industry, or anyone who followed tech blogs.



    The other question that's almost never asked is how much Steve Jobs already knew about Android when he asked Mr Schmidt to assist Apple.
  • Reply 86 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post


    I am sticking to my original comment. Google has not made any significant amount of money on Android, but it sure negatively affected Apple's market share in the smartphone market, which could have been much much higher if it weren't for Android. If Eric Schmidt were really a friend, he would not have gone ahead with Android, knowing how much Apple had invested in the iPhone project.



    hahhahaahah so he's a bad man for belonging to a company that has an OS that didn't allow Apple to be the only major player in the game? WOW
  • Reply 87 of 97
    Quote:

    "We did not enter the search business; they entered the phone business," Jobs said of Google during a company meeting in 2010. "Make no mistake, Google wants to kill the iPhone. We won't let them."



    hmmm...Google bought Android in 2005...it was quite obvious to EVERYONE they were going to enter the phone business...so why was Jobs acting like he was broadsided by it?
  • Reply 88 of 97

    deleted

  • Reply 89 of 97
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Of course you were happy as an Apple board member you thieving piece of shit!!!!
  • Reply 90 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post


    Of course you were happy as an Apple board member you thieving piece of shit!!!!



    what did Eric Schmidt steal?
  • Reply 91 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    hahhahaahah so he's a bad man for belonging to a company that has an OS that didn't allow Apple to be the only major player in the game? WOW



    All I was saying is that friends don't behave this way. If you want to compete, do not pretend being a trusted friend and get on the board of the company that you are planning to compete with. This is so trivial that I am surprised you are not seeing a problem here. Google had all the rights to develop Android to compete with Apple, but business competitors do not claim friendship with each other. Apple could have done the same thing to Google, by the way. Apple has plenty of cash to get into the search business and advertisement business big time and take a huge chunk of Google's market share. My take on this (especially judging by Steve Jobs comment) is that there was a gentleman's agreement that Apple would not enter the search business and Google would not enter the smartphone business. Otherwise, Steve Jobs would not have made that comment. Whether that was an implicit or explicit agreement is another question. But on Steve Jobs part there was a clear expectation that Google would not enter the smartphone business, and Steve made sure that Apple did not venture into the search business. It's also obvious that without such an agreement, Apple would not have let Eric Schmidt sit on the Apple's board. It's obvious that Google and Eric Schmidt were the party that broke the agreement. If you do not see how sleazy their behavior was then you must be doing the same kind of things to your friends.
  • Reply 92 of 97

    deleted

  • Reply 93 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


    1. Evidently Apple feels differently than you do or they would have sued by now. They'd have to, or risk pissing off stockholders. There simply isn't a case for this at Apple, only in fan forums.



    2. It hasn't stopped this:

    http://betanews.com/2011/06/07/5-thi...oid-for-ios-5/



    Seems any copying is at worst bidirectional.



    Really? So lack a lawsuit means it didn't happen?
  • Reply 94 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post


    All I was saying is that friends don't behave this way. If you want to compete, do not pretend being a trusted friend and get on the board of the company that you are planning to compete with. This is so trivial that I am surprised you are not seeing a problem here. Google had all the rights to develop Android to compete with Apple, but business competitors do not claim friendship with each other. Apple could have done the same thing to Google, by the way. Apple has plenty of cash to get into the search business and advertisement business big time and take a huge chunk of Google's market share. My take on this (especially judging by Steve Jobs comment) is that there was a gentleman's agreement that Apple would not enter the search business and Google would not enter the smartphone business. Otherwise, Steve Jobs would not have made that comment. Whether that was an implicit or explicit agreement is another question. But on Steve Jobs part there was a clear expectation that Google would not enter the smartphone business, and Steve made sure that Apple did not venture into the search business. It's also obvious that without such an agreement, Apple would not have let Eric Schmidt sit on the Apple's board. It's obvious that Google and Eric Schmidt were the party that broke the agreement. If you do not see how sleazy their behavior was then you must be doing the same kind of things to your friends.



    all those words. nothing but speculation.



    Google purchased Android in 2005. iPhone came out in 2007. Android was released in 2008.



    in 2007 Apple changed mobile phones forever. Google made logical alterations to Android so it could compete.



    Those are actual events.



    everything else is speculation.
  • Reply 95 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Really? So lack a lawsuit means it didn't happen?



    so lack of any corroborating evidence means it did happen?



    There is much more supporting it not happening than supporting it did happen.
  • Reply 96 of 97
  • Reply 97 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    all those words. nothing but speculation.



    Google purchased Android in 2005. iPhone came out in 2007. Android was released in 2008.



    in 2007 Apple changed mobile phones forever. Google made logical alterations to Android so it could compete.



    Those are actual events.



    everything else is speculation.



    Google purchased Android in 2005. Android was co-founded by Andy Rubin, a former Apple software engineer who worked for Apple in the 1990s within a group that lay foundation for iOS. In fact, Apple is currently suing HTC over the violation of one of the patents, which is part of Android, that was issued for the invention made by the founders of the Apple software development group where Andy Rubin was a "low-level software engineer". Read Macrumors' main page today.



    Also, give me one example of Steve Jobs behaving unethically. One can blame him of being a tyrant when it comes to perfection, but I have never heard of anyone accusing him of being unethical. This was one extremely rare occasion when Steve Jobs publicly called Google's behavior unethical. He also added something to the effect of "Do not be evil, my @SS";. I don't think that Steve Jobs would have made such a comment about an honest competitor. All of this points to Google majorly violating a friend's trust.
Sign In or Register to comment.