Comments

• Reply 201 of 250
    question...

does this:

look like an iPad?
  • Reply 202 of 250
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Wishful thinking? As tho anyone would want this scenario?

Even if the judge was aware that Apple had a dozen other registered design patents for tablets, and there's no reason to think she was, those other designs weren't use in this or any other lawsuit. . . yet.

If you didn't bother to take the time to look at the Design Patents I gave you, fine. That doesn't make them imaginary.

hey, where do I look up the patent numbers?
  • Reply 203 of 250
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

question...

does this:

look like an iPad?

That's the point I tried to drive home earlier. The Tab didn't get a marketplace ban because it was too similar to the iPad. The problem was it was too close to the drawings claimed in the referenced Design Patent. Apple's claim that it's iPad was similar to the drawings had nothing to do with the judge's decision. The infringement was based only on the drawings.
  • Reply 204 of 250
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's the point I tried to drive home earlier. The Tab didn't get a marketplace ban because it was too similar to the iPad. The problem was it was too close to the drawings claimed in the referenced Design Patent. Apple's claim that it's iPad was similar to the drawings had nothing to do with the judge's decision. The infringement was based only on the drawings.

yep...and that's the bigger problem that these people fail to see...

so, at least in Germany, you can design something one way, but as long as you draw it up in a bunch of other ways you can get an injunction to your hearts content limited to only your imagination.

ISN'T THAT AWESOME!!!!???

PS. where do I look up those design patents you listed?
  • Reply 205 of 250
    Quote:

The issue that arises from THIS injunction based on any design patent that broad (and unlike the actual iPad 2) is that it can be used against almost anyone as Apple had patented many drawings that severely limit the way a competitor can design a tablet that doesn't, A) look absolutely shitty, and B) violate some broad patent.

I guess It depends on how good your lawyers are. Everything else is completely irrelevant.

Anyway I have to admit it - it is simply called a Victory. Congratulations Apple!
  • Reply 206 of 250
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

PS. where do I look up those design patents you listed?

Here:

http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/index.en.do

Right side under Databases, then Community Designs.
  • Reply 207 of 250
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daddybone View Post

I love this graphic from Maypalo

http://maypalo.com/2011/08/22/samsun...-ipad-picture/

How is that any different comparing old (thick) laptop vs new (thin) laptop. Laptops of old used to be thick and heavy. Modern laptops are thin and light.

Samsung's old tablets were thick. It's newer tablets are thin and light. Whats new there?

Samsung's old phones were feature phones. Every iterations of its features phones, the screen sizes were increasing. It was inevitable, one day to have the entire phone as a screen without the keyboard.

In fact, LG was first to introduce a keyboard less "smartphone concept" at IFA 2006 in, of all places, Germany, the very country that is banning the sale of the Galaxy Tab, ironically.

Apple's case is based on prior art. All LG has to do is submit its prior art lawsuit against Apple to have Apple's phones blocked as violating prior art property. Remember, this ban was based on design and not patent.

Therefore, if LG feels like it (wants to be a douche), they have every reason to do so.
  • Reply 208 of 250
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

All LG has to do is submit its prior art lawsuit against Apple to have Apple's phones blocked as violating prior art property. Remember, this ban was based on design and not patent.

I guess they would if their lawyers would ... Since Apple won the Samsung battle LG better be quiet
  • Reply 209 of 250
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

In fact, LG was first to introduce a keyboard less "smartphone concept" at IFA 2006 in, of all places, Germany, the very country that is banning the sale of the Galaxy Tab, ironically.

All LG has to do is submit its prior art lawsuit against Apple to have Apple's phones blocked as violating prior art property. Remember, this ban was based on design and not patent.

Yeah, good luck with that.
  • Reply 210 of 250
    Quote:

I think judge in this case should study the picture in more detail. He would find that he himself infringe the patented design on the right side (single, hair covered ball on the top, body with two hands capable of holding the iPad and attacking it with a finger) and should ban himself from Germany.
  • Reply 211 of 250
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Yeah, good luck with that.

Perhaps LG Prada one .

• Reply 212 of 250
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gescom View Post

Perhaps LG Prada one .

"At IFA 2006 in, of all places, Germany" ??

No, don't think so.
  • Reply 213 of 250
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

"At IFA 2006 in, of all places, Germany" ??

No, don't think so.

It was not IFA, but iF Design. http://www.ifdesign.de/beitragsdetai...itrag_id=31322

They won the award for the 2007, but the product had to be delivered in 2006, if the details on this are correct. It would be well possible that iPhone team "borrowed" a thing or two from the LG phone.
  • Reply 214 of 250
    Quote:

Perhaps LG Prada one .

Show me ONE PICTURE. ONE PICTURE of the interface of the LG Prada from before the release of the iPhone.

ONE. Not the lock screen with the giant analog clock. ONE PICTURE of the phone turned on.

LG removed their pictures from before its launch. Engadget has only one picture themselves of the device turned on.
  • Reply 215 of 250
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Show me ONE PICTURE. ONE PICTURE of the interface of the LG Prada from before the release of the iPhone.

ONE. Not the lock screen with the giant analog clock. ONE PICTURE of the phone turned on.

LG removed their pictures from before its launch. Engadget has only one picture themselves of the device turned on.

Sorry, I have nothing against you. It was just a suggestion to which phone was galbi pointing to.

Sorry again if my post was misunderstandable.
  • Reply 216 of 250
    Quote:

This one ?

Or another one perhaps ?
  • Reply 217 of 250
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

This one ?

Or another one perhaps ?

1) What is that a diapad/calculator?

2) When he said a PICTURE he meant a photograph, not CGI.
  • Reply 218 of 250
    Quote:

Sorry, I have nothing against you. It was just a suggestion to which phone was galbi pointing to.

Sorry again if my post was misunderstandable.

Oh, no; nor I you. Don't worry about it.

Quote:

This one ?

Or another one perhaps ?

WOW. Awesome! You did great. I didn't think anywhere had any anymore.

That's basically proof that Apple didn't take any design cues from LG on their software.

Why don't the anti-Apple users have these pictures more prominently placed?
  • Reply 219 of 250
    Quote:

WOW. Awesome! You did great. I didn't think anywhere had any anymore.

That's basically proof that Apple didn't take any design cues from LG on their software.

Why don't the anti-Apple users have these pictures more prominently placed?

What ? Are you blind ?

First image has on screen soft keyboard. iPhone is just a rip-off. Numeric keyboard also has keys with numbers on the keys. iPhone design clearly didn't kept enough distance from the LG design. Once Johanna Brueckner-Hofmann sees the picture, she will ban all Apple products, including those selling in Obst- und Gemüseladen.

The second image is even worse. Can't you see the grid of icons with four essential icons placed distinctive on the right side (give some credit to Apple there as they creatively ripped them off and placed these four to the bottom of the screen) ? If you touch the icons on the iPhone, something happens ! Exactly the same metaphor as in LG. What a disgusting case of blatant copy there !
  • Reply 220 of 250
    Quote:

What ? Are you blind ?

First image has on screen soft keyboard. iPhone is just a rip-off. Numeric keyboard also has keys with numbers on the keys. iPhone design clearly didn't kept enough distance from the LG design. Once Johanna Brueckner-Hofmann sees the picture, she will ban all Apple products, including those selling in Obst- und Gemüseladen.

The second image is even worse. Can't you see the grid of icons with four essential icons placed distinctive on the right side (give some credit to Apple there as they creatively ripped them off and placed these four to the bottom of the screen) ? If you touch the icons on the iPhone, something happens ! Exactly the same metaphor as in LG. What a disgusting case of blatant copy there !

Oh, you ARE joking. Phew. Sorry, I've become desensitized to most jokes about UI design. People actually believe what used to only be satire.