Samsung shop features Apple's App Store, Safari icons on decorative app wall

Comments

• Reply 141 of 255
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And you already know that there were no releases for those logos that were used?

I never said that there were.

You implied that it was OK for them to use the other logos because they weren't competing. I was simply showing that to be false. You need permission to use someone's trademark - whether you're in competition or they're your best buddy. Obviously, it's easier to get permission in the latter case and they might not sue you for infringement, but legally you still need permission.
  • Reply 142 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's absurd.

Intellectual property needs to be respected. When preparing a display like this, everyone involved has the responsibility to ensure that they have permission for ALL the graphics they use - not just the ones that they think will sue them.

Quote:

And you already know that there were no releases for those logos that were used?

Gatorguy your comment isn't relevant to what he is saying and you know it. You are being your typical troll self.
  • Reply 143 of 255
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wasn't sure about his agenda but when he said that one car manufacturer could copy another car manufacturer as closely as Samsung has copied Apple (GT 10.1 vs iPad 2) without repercussions, then I knew he was absolutely full of bullshit.

You mean like Hyundai's Vera Cruz was copied from the Lexus RX350? That kind of copying? http://www.autosite.com/content/shar...le_id_int/3473

http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-06-2...us-third-row/2

Or the Equus is a photo-copy of the LS?

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/01/2...-ls-photocopy/

Or that nearly every luxury brand is copying whatever is successful from their competition?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-brands-2.html

And all with no repercussions, no lawsuits, and their reputations for building premium/luxury autos that buyers want still intact too.
  • Reply 144 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Gatorguy your comment isn't relevant to what he is saying and you know it. You are being your typical troll self.

Of course it's relevant.

At the same time, his followup explains that I mistook the implication of his post.

He's right that before production, professional designers/creators should confirm that releases are in hand for any copyrighted or trademarked elements that will be recreated. I do that almost daily. Intellectual property should be respected. Therefore it's more likely than not, assuming that professional designers were used, that releases were in hand before those logos were reproduced. But it's possible they don't worry about that in Italy as much as they do here in the US.

Therefor it may be that Samsung does not control the back wall of the Euronics store where a Samsung product display is set up, and it's Euronics who has the releases. Samsung may only have the wood pad under lease, and from the photo that would appear to be the case. Tallest Skil is probably correct that Apple would not have granted Samsung use of those Apple logos, tho even that is not 100% guaranteed. So does Euronics, the store owner/mall lessee, have those? We don't know.

That's why there's questions. Again, why is asking questions for clarifying who and what an issue for anyone?
  • Reply 145 of 255
    Does safari run on any android phones or tablets?

Don't local stores get their promotional materials from a regional office? I rather doubt that the local store went to a kinko's and came up with an ad campaign.

So maybe someone in Italy can check out other stores within a store and see if they have the same wall paper.
  • Reply 146 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applecider View Post

Does safari run on any android phones or tablets?

Is that a joke?
  • Reply 147 of 255
    Quote:

I never said that there were.

You implied that it was OK for them to use the other logos because they weren't competing. I was simply showing that to be false. You need permission to use someone's trademark - whether you're in competition or they're your best buddy. Obviously, it's easier to get permission in the latter case and they might not sue you for infringement, but legally you still need permission.

Understood. Sorry for my initial assumption. But the post you were referring to was not intended to imply copying logos without permission was OK. I was saying that regardless of permission to use the logos, Samsung should probably make an effort to have those particular Apple logos removed from view of the Samsung display, even if they are the property of and produced for the Euronics store.
  • Reply 148 of 255
    Yep so people really do believe the implausible.
  • Reply 149 of 255
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

You mean like Hyundai's Vera Cruz was copied from the Lexus RX350? That kind of copying? http://www.autosite.com/content/shar...le_id_int/3473

http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-06-2...us-third-row/2

Or the Equus is a photo-copy of the LS?

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/01/2...-ls-photocopy/

Or that nearly every luxury brand is copying whatever is successful from their competition?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-brands-2.html

And all with no repercussions, no lawsuits, and their reputations for building premium/luxury autos that buyers want still intact too.

The difference, of course, is that the luxury car manufacturers do not have patents on their designs.

(Not to mention that the similarity between the Equus and LS is not all that great. Look at the rear ends of the cars).
  • Reply 150 of 255
    Quote:

The difference, of course, is that the luxury car manufacturers do not have patents on their designs.

(Not to mention that the similarity between the Equus and LS is not all that great. Look at the rear ends of the cars).

I don't know if they get do any design patents or any other form of IP protection. If not then I suppose they don't see it being beneficial to do so. Certainly it's legal to protect their significant investments in design? Perhaps they do, but just want to involve themselves in ongoing back and forth claims of "you copied me" followed by "no you copied me first" and "yeah, who says". I could see that as something the car industry, or other industry, might decide hurts more than helps their image.

Well here ya go. Some info on automotive EU design patents. Didn't see anything for the US in a quick search.

http://www.ladas.com/BULLETINS/2006/...UDesigns.shtml

EDIT2: Yes the car industry files design patents in the US.

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2009...y-bailout.html

http://octechinnovation.com/2010/04/...at-no-d612768/
  • Reply 151 of 255
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    ..150 posts about such a non-issue. Untie your knickers already...
  • Reply 152 of 255
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 153 of 255
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/24/oh-sam...this-too-easy/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

FACT: Samsung is trying to mislead buyers into thinking they're buying an iPhone.

Samsung is a shameless copycat and everyone knows it. JUST F'IN ADMIT IT.

• Reply 154 of 255
    The Five Stages of Fandroid Acceptance

1. It's not a Samsung store

2. We don't know enough

3. It can't be real

4. I'm just asking questions

5. It doesn't look like safari icons

6. Samsung has nothing to do with it

7. Samsung can't know everything it does

• Reply 155 of 255
    Quote:

Actually, the similarities between the examples provided is quite great... so I give him that... but it does say that Gatorguy firmly believes that Samsung did copy Apple, otherwise there's no need for these comparisons. (plus the fact, as you mentioned, there were any design patents in both auto cases)

So, then I have to ask... what are Gatorguy's objections if he admits that Samsung copied Apple. It seems to be based on some personal belief that because the car companies didn't sue then Apple has no right to sue... even though he admits that Samsung copied Apple. His personal belief is obviously not based on any legal expertise or knowledge of design patents, otherwise the German court wouldn't have granted an injunction.

I, like Gatorguy, also firmly believe that Samsung copied Apple but my reasons are based on the idea that Apple knows something that Samsung has done but can't prove... similar to the time that Hyundai landed a Toyota engineer that also brought a ton of documents with him on Toyota's quality control methods... but, fortunately for Toyota, they were able to prove that Hyundai was using the stolen documents and they were returned... some have said, though, that they were returned only after they were copied. This might explain why Hyundai had such improvement in their quality during and after those years.

So, unlike the Hyundai vs Toyota case, Apple knows something is rotten with Samsung and is now using the only available channel they can to put Samsung on its heels. Just my belief.
  • Reply 156 of 255
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The Five Stages of Fandroid Acceptance

1. It's not a Samsung store

2. We don't know enough

3. It can't be real

4. I'm just asking questions

5. It doesn't look like safari icons

6. Samsung has nothing to do with it

7. Samsung can't know everything it does

Here are some facts for someone who lives in Italy a direct quote:

"The store is Euronics of Catania, Italy (an electronic shop similar to America's Best Buy).

The wall deco belongs to Euronics, not to Samsung.

Euronics has been decorating their walls with trademarked logos for some time.

The original article is from the Italian press and actually focuses on the interesting "coincide' of both Samsung store-in-store and Apple store opening on the same day in the same mall.

This is just another example of unprofessional Samsung bashing article from an Apple fanboy."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-201...#ixzz1YudskrKX

Unless, people have actually visited this store, no one has the right to throw out any accusations.
  • Reply 157 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Samsung just unveiled their new company logo today. It looks like this:

And no, it's not the same as Apple's logo at all. It's .0001 inch smaller than Apple's logo and the silver color is just a shade darker. Apple didn't invent the Apple fruit, and it's purely a coincidence that Samsung also chose the same logo. If Apple sues Samsung for this, they're really being retarded.

Honestly, I'm not an Apple hater, I have 3 iPhone 4's, 2 iPod Touches, 4 iPad 2's and a basement full of Macs, so nobody better accuse me of being an Android troll. But I swear, I will never ever buy an Apple product again. Apple is being totally unreasonable in going after Samsung. Is Apple afraid of competition?

Brilliant
  • Reply 158 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

But I swear, I will never ever buy an Apple product again. Apple is being totally unreasonable in going after Samsung. Is Apple afraid of competition?

I like how you managed to hide that.

Not sure what's more disturbing. That you've said this when you're blatantly wrong in your position or that you felt you had to hide it.

Unless that's also a continuation of your joke, in which case, good on you; you're a better troll than the real ones. Certainly got me.
  • Reply 159 of 255
    9to5mac.com posted this..

What about the dock connector clone in Samsung tablets:

I recently saw the latest Blackberry power adaptor:

Obviously they took Apple's iOS device power adaptor design, but decided that moving the USB port to the side absolved them of lawsuit. It's poor taste, but they were thinking about it. They also made it curvy. Samsung on the other hand did what? Made the power adaptor black and used a slightly different radius on the corner. Poor poor taste.
  • Reply 160 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

"The store is Euronics of Catania, Italy (an electronic shop similar to America's Best Buy).

The wall deco belongs to Euronics, not to Samsung.

Euronics has been decorating their walls with trademarked logos for some time.

The original article is from the Italian press and actually focuses on the interesting "coincide' of both Samsung store-in-store and Apple store opening on the same day in the same mall.

That appears to be the case. This is apparently not a "Samsung Store", but a separate display area dedicated to Samsung products within the Euronics store. The store looks very similar to a "Best Buy" or "Target". Some on-line images from different Euronics pages show logos, sometimes grouped in various departments. Just like what you'd typically see here in a large electronics/department store.

Vindication and much ado about nothing when all is said and done. You can cancel the appointment with the hangman now.