Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 303
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I dont see it. And I have just got the latest downloads. Possible a cache? Did you re-download?
  • Reply 22 of 303
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Judging by stock price it looks like we will not see a redesign. I think the lack of a new design may be very bad mojo for apple.

The 3GS was essentially the same aesthetically as the 3G. The feature set was not a significant improvement. It was essentially *just* a speed bump, which was proven not to be bad mojo at all as the iPhone only became more popular. So Apple may well be staying consistent.

On the other hand, 15 months are a long time for a speed bump, unless the software is the reason for the delay.

If indeed there is an iPhone 5, a larger screen would in fact be a serious disappointment and a shocking one at that. There are only two ways to produce a larger screen - more pixels or decrease the dpi. Changing the pixel count goes against every principle in Apple's design ethos. Why would anyone in his right mind expect Apple to commit such a blasphemy? As for lowering the dpi, that would not only concede that Retina display was pointless, it would give them an inferior screen to that on the Galaxy. Would Apple really do that?
  • Reply 23 of 303
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I dont see it. And I have just got the latest downloads. Possible a cache? Did you re-download?

Yep, fresh download on a different Mac. Just open the package with Pacifist.
  • Reply 24 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yep, fresh download on a different Mac. Just open the package with Pacifist.

I know how to inspect packages. It isnt in my download. This could be a CDN thing.
  • Reply 25 of 303
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I wouldn't take the lack off an iPhone 5 mention alongside the 4S as proof there's no i5 soon to follow. Perhaps it won't be announced this week, but I believe the iPhone5 will be available by the holidays.
  • Reply 26 of 303
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    [removed]
  • Reply 27 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The 3GS was essentially the same aesthetically as the 3G. The feature set was not a significant improvement. It was essentially *just* a speed bump, which was proven not to be bad mojo at all as the iPhone only became more popular. So Apple may well be staying consistent.

The Android landscape wasn't nearly as developed in 2009 as it is now, and Windows Mobile had crashed and burned. There is significantly more competition in the smartphone space than there was two years ago. I doubt Apple will be able to use improved software to gloss over the lack of a new design the way they did with the 3GS.

Quote:

On the other hand, 15 months are a long time for a speed bump, unless the software is the reason for the delay.

Indeed. I think the most troubling thing about the lack of redesign would be that it makes it look like Apple's R&D has hit a wall. If this were happening in June, I might be able to give them the benefit of the doubt. But they've had almost a year and a half to work on this! How could they possibly only be putting in a faster processor, more RAM, and a better camera after all that time? Keep in mind also that the A5 processor is already almost half way through its life cycle (assuming Apple continues to introduce a new processor on a yearly cycle).

Quote:

If indeed there is an iPhone 5, a larger screen would in fact be a serious disappointment and a shocking one at that. There are only two ways to produce a larger screen - more pixels or decrease the dpi. Changing the pixel count goes against every principle in Apple's design ethos. Why would anyone in his right mind expect Apple to commit such a blasphemy? As for lowering the dpi, that would not only concede that Retina display was pointless, it would give them an inferior screen to that on the Galaxy. Would Apple really do that?

Apple will never lower the pixel density back to pre-retina levels. But we can always hope that they might violate their pixel count rule!
  • Reply 28 of 303
    I don't get the anger regarding a possible hardware-only update. So what if the iPhone 4 is 15 months old? Some top-tier Android devices may have an advantage here or there, but overall the iPhone 4 is still an incredible phone, it is certainly the one that aged the least during its life cycle. Apple doesn't need much more to stay ahead.

That's the reason I thought Apple would release a contract-free iPhone (the fabled iPod Touch+phone): iPhone's growth is only really bottlenecked at price, not anything else.
  • Reply 29 of 303
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

That said, the A5, 1GB RAM, and potentially HSPA+ are pretty significant.

Yep. And Assistant might not just be interesting, it might be really, really cool.

Remember the Mac keynote in 1984, when Steve made the Mac speak? This could be Tim Cook's equivalent moment where the phone not only talks, it understands him.
  • Reply 30 of 303
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    And the hits just keep on coming!...

There is a TUAW post of a reader who "captured" an image from Cincinnati Bell of an iPhone 5 with 4" screen and 4G

What to believe?... Is your head spinning from the rumor jerk around? C'mon Tuesday!

/

/

/
  • Reply 31 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Apple will never lower the pixel density back to pre-retina levels. But we can always hope that they might violate their pixel count rule!

Maybe, but would the ppi difference be really noticeable to the naked eye? Anything bigger than 4" is simply too large, but I've seen some 4" smartphones around and they look tasty
  • Reply 32 of 303
    Crap, I really wanted a bigger screen.

I hate android, Windows 7 phone is amazing but too immature, may be stuck with this shit form factor since I want ios.
  • Reply 33 of 303
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Indeed. I think the most troubling thing about the lack of redesign would be that it makes it look like Apple's R&D has hit a wall. If this were happening in June, I might be able to give them the benefit of the doubt. But they've had almost a year and a half to work on this! How could they possibly only be putting in a faster processor, more RAM, and a better camera after all that time? Keep in mind also that the A5 processor is already almost half way through its life cycle (assuming Apple continues to introduce a new processor on a yearly cycle).

This is silly.

Who says that the device has to be redesigned every year or two? It's still selling and leading the industry, so why constantly change it - just to make a tiny percentage of people on AI who might care happy?

There have been a number of times that Apple kept designs in use for years. It's not the end of the world.

Besides, what else does it need? There are plenty of software updates coming - which will work just fine on a 4S. It's supposedly getting more RAM, better camera, faster CPU, and becoming a 'world phone'. For 99% of people, that's plenty. Sure, some want a bigger screen, but others won't buy it if it has a bigger screen, so that's a wash. What else does it really need? Would it really be a better phone with an FM tuner, 8-track player, and tailfins?
  • Reply 34 of 303
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiyifan View Post

You must be kidding me. Wait more than a year just to update cpu and camera?

But what should they update? Just a different case for the sake of being different? Apple is not in the business of increasing the screen size 10% every year, they have not done these 10% increases in the past, why would they suddenly start with it now without laying any groundwork in iOS to support multiple physical definitions? Apple is also not in the business of increasing the resolution (as in dpi) every year by 10%, they have not done so in the past, why would they start now?

Sure, it could get a bit thinner and/or lighter.
  • Reply 35 of 303
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    What about those iPhone5 case and other rumors?

So much is pointing to two phones. Evidence of one is not evidence against two.

And don't discount iOS5. Form factor is not why people buy the iPhone. It's apps, features, and usability.
  • Reply 36 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Maybe, but would the ppi difference be really noticeable to the naked eye? Anything bigger than 4" is simply too large, but I've seen some 4" smartphones around and they look tasty

Agreed. I would never want anything larger, but a 4 inch screen would be excellent!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is silly.

Who says that the device has to be redesigned every year or two? It's still selling and leading the industry, so why constantly change it - just to make a tiny percentage of people on AI who might care happy?

There have been a number of times that Apple kept designs in use for years. It's not the end of the world.

Besides, what else does it need? There are plenty of software updates coming - which will work just fine on a 4S. It's supposedly getting more RAM, better camera, faster CPU, and becoming a 'world phone'. For 99% of people, that's plenty. Sure, some want a bigger screen, but others won't buy it if it has a bigger screen, so that's a wash. What else does it really need? Would it really be a better phone with an FM tuner, 8-track player, and tailfins?

Haha touche! I don't know if I would qualify my comments as "silly" but maybe I was being a bit melodramatic

If no redesign happens, I do at least hope Apple does fix the antenna issue.
  • Reply 37 of 303
    It is a fact that apple can no longer compete in the smartphone market against such large players now like HTC and Samsung with just hardware and physical features that would be impossible as these companies are willing to throw all of their profits in R&D to crank out phones every other month. Apple on the other hand has always been more into releasing one product a year. In the fast advancing field of Smart phones you can't expect to make any real headway off of one release a year with just hardware so it requires some form of software to complement it.

Is iOS 5 a worthwhile OS for someone who already has a Samsung Galaxy S II or a Evo 3d to make the switch to the iPhone. Well they would now have to sacrifice their larger screen, NFC, 3D, HDMI ports Dual flash, and for what. They would go to an OS with a new notification system that is not as good as the one they came from. They would have twitter integrated. Is that really a big deal? NO they would have had all the features of this on their last phone it was just nothing that was bragged about. They will have the new assistant feature, which is good because android has had that since 2.2 so its not a big deal to them. They will notice that allot of the videos in some of the websites they frequent don't work anymore. In all I don't think apple would be wise to just release a small spec bump with competition this fearsome and iOS really being a Catch-up OS.

With that said Google will be announcing Ice Cream Sandwich soon so we will know what features iOS 6 will have. JK
  • Reply 38 of 303
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Sure, but what would developers do? Add another button in a row of horizontal buttons because they could do this while keeping their 'physical' size the same?

Can anybody with some experience with Android tell me how this is done there? If you run the same app on a 3.5" Android phone and on a 4.3" Android phone. Are the control elements (buttons etc.) larger (in millimetres) on the 4.3" device? Are there more control elements? Or use the control elements the same pixel numbers and the extra space (and pixels) are used to display more non-fixed size content (eg, longer lists, larger photos)?
  • Reply 39 of 303
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

I think there are going to be some more disappointed people out there.

Apple never promised a new iPhone 5. People shouldn't be disappointed with Apple. I think that people will be disappointed with the rumor mills instead.
  • Reply 40 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is silly.

Its a much more competitive world.. And it is not just Apple Insider. Take a look at AAPL since the rumours of the iPhone 5 not being anything other than an iPhone 4S went into over-drive. It;s off by $30.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

Quote:

Apple lives and dies by it's design. I will buy one of these 4S as I have a 3GS, I update every two cycles ( and thus the delay has bugged me anyway). However there will be little reason for someone on the 4 to update to the 4S. The 3GS was a dog. The 3GS was much better.

If iOS5 screams on the 4S it may sell. Otherwise people on an iPhone 4 will stick to it.