Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta

Comments

• Reply 121 of 303
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    The iPhone5 is definitely going to be something fresh, the current iPhone4 becoming the iPhone4S.

BTW I like the BMW 5 Series. 3 Series is a little "stunted" in my view. , while the 6 and 7 series are ridiculously massive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Tim Cook: "And now for the big unveil.... last spring's phone."

Seriously, this is the first product unveil post-Steve Jobs. They really need to unveil something that'll blow people's socks off; and slightly tweaking an almost-two year old model isn't going to cut it. The best I can hope for is that the 4S ends up being dirt-cheap, because I'm not paying $400 for last year's phone + a 2-year contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hubris1 View Post

I agree. Of all iOS user subsets, AI forum readers should be able to discern the true distinctions between any iPhone model and the "competition." It takes a tremendous amount of money and quality time to conceive, design, engineer, code, test, debug and manufacture a device of the iPhones stature. So why should they not benefit from the efficiencies of longer product life-cycles? I never expected a major redesign this year because it does not make any economical sense.

I look at Apple products as I do entry level German luxury cars: sheer utilitarian beauty. Apple would be like BMW only selling 3 series sedans. These cars crush the competition in a multitude of substantive ways big and small. They cost more to produce and their platforms have longer life cycles. These cars are fast but they are not the fastest and one can't buy the latest, most cutting edge tech in these cars because it doesn't make economical sense. Think night-vision for cars and NFC for phones. Cheap AND early implementation of the latest cool technology requires compromises I am glad Apple is unwilling to make.

So how anyone who claims to appreciate the iPhone4 for what and how it is could seriously consider the latest Android device with a bigger screen or this and that is beyond me. I am reminded of the movie quote, "they don't drink the sand because they think it's water. They drink the sand because the don't know the difference."

• Reply 122 of 303
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I predict Apple to announce two iPhones next. CDMA only iPhone 4S and it will be based on the iPhone 4 design with an A5 processor and no significant changes. The newer iPhone will be GSM only iPhone 5. Completely redesigned with new form, A5, HSPA+, 8MP Camera, HD FaceTime camera, and few surprises. However, I think the event will also focus on never announced before iOS features.

Oh, and an iPod touch with A5 and better camera.
  • Reply 123 of 303
    And as a response to those claimants who say that the form-factor is irrelevant, I ask you to look at Apple's track records on iPods. Every year they take the Nano and completely redesign the thing; they make it skinny, and then they squash it down, and then make it the size of a stick of gum, and now it's a postage stamp. Apple loves to redesign their hardware.
  • Reply 124 of 303
    I hope they bring out a new

- iPod shuffle with price drop

- iPod shuffle with camera and price drop

- iPod classic with 250 gb as a special 10 years edition

- iPhone 5 with 4 inch screen

And as one more thing

- IPhone nano
  • Reply 125 of 303
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    I worry quite a bit about Apples dominance if they don't come out with a larger screen iPhone. Don't get me wrong I think the 3.5"'screen on the IP4 still blows the sox off any larger android phone, but Joe consumer just doesn't see the advantage of retina display over a larger screen. They are simply wowed over a bright colorful 4.5"'screen even if the resolution is lower. Apple needs to have a retina 4" screen if they want to be able to convert android users to the next gen iPhone.
  • Reply 126 of 303
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    This article is beginning to put two and two together on everything.

Venue for launch is scaled back which probably means a low key 4S launch.

With Jobs taking a back seat these days, I am wondering if Apple are trying to keep a new iPhone off the Market in order to save some of the ideas and tech in the iPhone5 for the future battles.

Apple don't redesign iMacs and MacBooks every year (other than lower priced iPod products), so why should they need to redesign iPhones every year like the rest of the competition. The current iPhone4 design is timeless.

Agree with the people who said compatibility with current accessories on the Market

From October 2011 till Summer 2012 isn't such a long time, maybe the iPhone 5 has been put back till then?

All I'm saying is I am not bored of my iPhone 4 yet and ios5 is going to give my phone experience a good enough lease of life. I think there will be no iPhone 5 this year but apple will still sell millions of iPhone 4S's. I did wish the screen would be bigger though.
  • Reply 127 of 303
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm still a little bit disoriented and lightheaded. You see, I just returned from the future twenty minutes ago and these trips are really starting to take their toll. On this trip, I ventured a few days into future, more precisely Tuesday morning, the fourth of October, 2011. To be expected, Apple hadn't yet posted their video of the keynote, but I did manage to copy the text from a website of a blog that was live blogging the event. Some of it got garbled during the return trip, but I managed to save some of it.

October 4, 2011

9:58 AM - Beatles music is playing in the background. I guess this means that event is about to begin.

10:01 AM - Yep, the lights are being dimmed and there is a sense of anticipation in the air

10:02 AM - Tim Book takes to the stage. Audience claps enthusiastically. Tim is smiling.

10:03 AM - SORRY! That's Tim Cook of course! I'm liveblogging from my iPhone and I have fat thumbs!

10:05 AM - Tim is talking sales figures and showing piecharts

10:07 AM - Apple is a juggernaut, no doubt about that

10:09 AM - iOS5 introduction! Scott Forstall takes the stage

10:10 AM - Demotime! Forstall is going to show off 5 of the biggest new features in iOS5

10:12 AM - Wow! That voice recognition is the shizznizzle!

10:28 AM - R.I.P. Classic iPod. Apple officially kills it today -

10:31 AM - Tim Cook is back on stage

10:32 AM - Finally! It's time for the new iPhone!

10:33 AM - What? It looks the same as the old iPhone! wtf?

10:34 AM - The internals are bumped up, but otherwise, it looks the same

10:35 AM - Wait! What's this?

10:36 AM - It's another new iPhone! And this one looks like a shrunken iPad 2! They're releasing two different models!

10:37 AM - Audience is cheering, everybody's going wild!! Huge roars erupt! 3 women faint!

• Reply 128 of 303
    I think that apple has to become more aggressive and I think they'll follow through. The delay could be contributed to multiple different reasons including iCloud, iOS 5, sitting back and waiting patiently to see what consumers really want. I also think its completely reasonable for the next iPhone to have LTE. While other chipsets aren't particularly good enoogh for apples standards at this time, I think it's reasonable to expect that they produce their own home grown LTE optimized with the A5 for superb battery life. Motorola did this with the bionic, I'd expect apple to have done something similiar. This could also result in an update to the iPad 2. Airport express could see a refresh as well. iPod touch gets minor update and maybe 3G for ICloud.

Here's what I think for Tuesday:

iPhone 4G: LTE, HSPA+... 8 MP camera, A5, 4 inch screen, design similiar to ipad 2 with aluminum back, updated iOS 5 with unannounced features, maybe solar recharging? Standard pricing: 200 for 16 GB and 300 for 32 GB. Although I'd love for it to be 32 GB and 64GB. FaceTime HD camera.

iPhone 4S: A5, 8 MP, world phone (CDMA, GSM), same form factor as iPhone 4. Free or 100 with contact.

The "low end model" will just be the iPhone 4. Possibly for free or for $49. Maybe contact free for 200?

It's just to fun to dream and guess. Only way I upgrade though is with LTE. Let's only hope apple is on board after this long delay!
  • Reply 129 of 303
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm still a little bit disoriented and lightheaded. You see, I just returned from the future twenty minutes ago and these trips are really starting to take their toll. On this trip, I ventured a few days into future, more precisely Tuesday morning, the fourth of October, 2011. To be expected, Apple hadn't yet posted their video of the keynote, but I did manage to copy the text from a website of a blog that was live blogging the event. Some of it got garbled during the return trip, but I managed to save some of it.

October 4, 2011

9:58 AM - Beatles music is playing in the background. I guess this means that event is about to begin.

10:01 AM - Yep, the lights are being dimmed and there is a sense of anticipation in the air

10:02 AM - Tim Book takes to the stage. Audience claps enthusiastically. Tim is smiling.

10:03 AM - SORRY! That's Tim Cook of course! I'm liveblogging from my iPhone and I have fat thumbs!

10:10 AM - Demotime! Forstall is going to show off 5 of the biggest new features in iOS5

10:36 AM - It's another new iPhone! And this one looks like a shrunken iPad 2! They're releasing two different models!

10:37 AM - Audience is cheering, everybody's going wild!! Huge roars erupt! 3 women faint!

Dude... Got some more of those sugar cubes?
  • Reply 130 of 303
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Most of the worth comes in iOS 5 anyhow. Most iPhone customers probably couldn't give a hoot about the features - Apple know this - price is probably more of an issue. An improved camera and faster processor along with iOS 5 will be more than enough for 9/10 buyers. 3GS are still on sale today and being sold to consumers who will still have a great phone and great OS. It would bother those of us who frequent AI but not most consumers.

When 3GS was launched, Apple had no real competition for the iPhone. Today is a different story! There is plenty of competition! You can say all day that Android is an inferior OS, but Android has majority of the market, Windows Phone Mango is a good product and Windows 8 will be even better. Apple can not afford just a spec bump as they did with iPad 2, they must bring amazing new phones every year to stay ahead! And one more thing. 2011 Apple is not 2008 or 2009 Apple. They have a lot more resources and money! With that huge pile of money they can research and build amazing products... if they want! There is no excuse to bring an iPhone with just a spec bump.
  • Reply 131 of 303
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Maybe Cook will do a "one more thing" at the end of his presentation and have Steve Jobs walk on to the stage with an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 132 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Maybe Cook will do a "one more thing" at the end of his presentation and have Steve Jobs walk on to the stage with an iPhone 5.

I think this would be the classiest thing in the world to do. Steve deserves a 20 minute standing ovation for the contributions he has made to Apple and the tech industry. A proper last hurrah for a living legend.

(Whether you love or hate him, Steve Jobs has been one of the most influencial men in the tech world in the last 40 years, and the same goes for Bill Gates. If they were British, they'd have both been knighted long ago)
  • Reply 133 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Some top-tier Android devices may have an advantage here or there, but overall the iPhone 4 is still an incredible phone

Yes it is. But I already have one! Why would I buy another one???
  • Reply 134 of 303
    I am hoping this will just be the place holder for the low end 4S. Other sources on the net point to companies accidentally putting both 4S and 5 on their websites at varying price points. Either the carriers putting "iPhone5" on their site was merely them jumping the gun, or the 4S really is the low end model.

Here's hoping for a 5, though. Would be nice to see how they would change an already industry shaking design.
  • Reply 135 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

October 4, 2011

Okay, that just made my morning
  • Reply 136 of 303
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiyifan View Post

You must be kidding me. Wait more than a year just to update cpu and camera?

Well I for one think that whatever Apple comes out with will be the very best choice. Sure, there will be whiners who complain because it will not squirt pink unicorns from its butt. But those of us who are REAL Apple fans know that anything Apple comes out with is as close to perfection as anybody is capable of. If those Fandorids want to talk about heir "specs" I don't care.
  • Reply 137 of 303
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

I wonder what would happen if Apple decided to lower the prices of all iPhone models to compensate for the lack of major changes? I'm thinking the current iPhone 4 takes the 3GS's spot at $49, the 16 GB 4S at $99, the 32GB at $199, and the 64GB (if there is one) at $299.

Apple doesn't want poor people as customers. They want sophisticated people to be spotted with their products, in all the best places.

Let the bag ladies use Andorid.
  • Reply 138 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Apple doesn't want poor people as customers. They want sophisticated people to be spotted with their products, in all the best places.

Let the bag ladies use Andorid.

Doesn't stop the iPhone from being dirt cheap in the UK. £69 upfront for an iPhone4
  • Reply 139 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I agree. The iPhone 4 design is near-perfect in my opinion. As Steve said,"...like a fine Leica camera."

The smartphone is all about software. I am willing to bet that iOS5 with Assistant speech recognition and iCloud storage will knock the socks off everybody.

If they don't change the case design, that means they will be amortizing the iPhone 4 design over 2 generations, and that is good for profitability. Apple is super good at maximizing margins. They keep the number of models to a minimum. Why do they need 2 case designs?

I expect that on Tuesday, we will have an iPhone 4 8GB at $99, iPhone 4s 16GB at $199, and iPhone 4s 32GB at $299. Improved specs on the 4s (such as A5, 1GB RAM and 8MP camera) and loads of software improvements (such as stabilization for video, perhaps).

Look for long lines outside Apple stores on introduction day.

Your name says everything. "AppleGreen"? So, your are hoping that Apple will be "Green" on the stock market, right? You care about Apple maximizing margins and profitability? Well, I DON'T! I care about great revolutionary Apple products, not spec bumps! In fact you know what? If Apple brings just an iPhone with spec bumps, I might SHORT Apple! Why not make some money myself after all??? So, soon you might change your name in "AppleRed"!
  • Reply 140 of 303
    recrec Posts: 217member
    I don't think there's much doubt, actually, that Apple is releasing 2 new phones on Tuesday. The 4S being a revamped iPhone 4, and an iPhone 5 being a mini-ipad 2 with a 4" screen. The cases out of China would seem to confirm this. The iPhone 5 is definitely being made, it's bigger than the iPhone 4 and thinner. The specs on both of these phones will be pretty amazing.