Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I love how people immediately assume this has an ulterior motive. I'm disappointed. These two company's may have been at war with each other in the market, but they are still run by people. This reminds me of something tragic that just happened to the University of Michigan Marching Band. Understand that I'm a member of The Ohio State Marching Band, and the only reason I'm even spelling that state's name is out of respect. One of their band members died in a car accident. Now, for those of you who don't understand the OSU-UM rivalry, I'll try and sum it up for you. I hate that state. I hate everything about them. I hate the colors Maize and Blue. I'd rather be punched in the balls than listen to Hail To the Victors. A female wearing that jersey is just as disgusting as one that smokes (I'm a non-smoker). When we march into Ann Arbor, the band has as many security guard and snipers (yeah, snipers \) as the president giving a speech...We still get charged at. Essentially, we hate each other. That being said, when we learned of this kids death, we essentially ended practice early out of respect. We sent a few of our own to personally talk to their band to let them know that we feel their pain. I know some of you probably don't care, but after experiencing this just last week (seriously, look it up), I have a better understanding of what Google/Samsung are doing. Death is much bigger than you and I.

tl;dr: People are capable of being great.

tl;dr2: Muck Fichigan.

Hell, a kid I hated in HS committed suicide maybe 5 years ago and I felt sad.
  • Reply 42 of 192
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I don't buy it. I'd say the most likely answer is that there are continued issues with ICS that are causing delays and they are using Steve Jobs death to save face. If that is the case that then is despicable, though not out of character for both Samsung and Google.

2) Apple isn't pushing back it's iOS 5.0 or iPhone 4S launch because of Steve Jobs's death, so why would Samsung or Google delay?

IMO, many of the comments the past couple of days whenever Samsung/Google/Microsoft/"other" competitors are mentioned is evidence that some people just can't let go of the hate and distrust for even a couple of days. Steve Jobs was no typical CEO, and didn't have the typical influence over the rest of the industry he was involved in. I don't know why some here are always looking for evil, as tho that's what Steve Jobs would do. Much more likely Google is truly delaying the release simply to avoid any sense that they're interfering with Apple and the proper respect due Steve Jobs.

Just let it all go for a few days. It will be a refreshing change.
  • Reply 43 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO, many of the comments the past couple of days whenever Samsung/Google/Microsoft/"other" competitors are mentioned is evidence that some people just can't let go of the hate and distrust for even a couple of days. Steve Jobs was no typical CEO, and didn't have the typical influence over the rest of the industry he was involved in. I don't know why some here are always looking for evil, as tho that's what Steve Jobs would do. Much more likely Google is truly delaying the release simply to avoid any sense that they're interfering with Apple and the proper respect due Steve Jobs.

Hear, Hear!
  • Reply 44 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Evil? It's not good or evil, it's business. Stopping a product because someone died simply doesn't make sense from a business perspective unless there are other business-realted reasons involved. Apple didn't stop their event when Jobs was on his death bed. Apple isn't stopping the preorders and releases of products because Jobs passed away. Last time I checked Apple is a lot closer to Jobs than some Ice Cream Sandwich OS update.
  • Reply 45 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

All this anthropomorphizing of corporations is bizarre.

Nice!
  • Reply 46 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

For those who smell fish (or smell like it), consider this:

Sergey Brin and Larry Page have been unabashed admirers of Steve Jobs, well before Jobs was sick. The respect they have for the man may be equal to that of most Apple fans. Despite Steve Jobs' reported anger toward Google and particularly Eric Schmidt, Schmidt has said nothing but kind words even well before Jobs' death. In some ways, the GooglePlex has lost a hero too, a source of inspiration.

Of course, we will never know anyone's true motive. But, in the absence of certainty, why not choose the more positive scenario and be happy? Being a cynic whenever possible does not make one more intelligent. It just makes you more cynical.

This. No further explanation needed. No conspiracy, no ulterior motives. This is about respect for one of their heroes, plain and simple.
  • Reply 47 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Evil? It's not good or evil, it's business. Stopping a product because someone died simply doesn't make sense from a business perspective unless there are other business-realted reasons involved. Apple didn't stop their event when Jobs was on his death bed. Apple isn't stopping the preorders and releases of products because Jobs passed away. Last time I checked Apple is a lot closer to Jobs than some Ice Cream Sandwich OS update.

Since you would claim they're lying, why would anyone read "good" into your comments Solipsism? Again, there's no reason to believe anything other than what they said. I think Mr. Jobs would rather see the animosity disappear for at least a few days. That's one of the best ways to show your respect for him IMHO.
  • Reply 48 of 192
    Quote:

My problem is with the "...few days" part of it. Nothing refreshing about that if its back to business-as-usual a few days later.

That's cynical, no?

I'd rather be honest than a cynic. It's pure speculation, of course, but I think SJ would probably approve.
  • Reply 49 of 192
    I agree. I believe he would like to see us "let it go". Not for a second would I believe that Steve Jobs carried hate in his heart everyday.
  • Reply 50 of 192
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    My guess is the introductory speech involved a lot of cuts at Apple for not being innovative, for suing competitors, for being closed, etc, rather like the Google I/O event where they ranted about saving the world from a totalitarian Apple. They no doubt need to re-work the whole thing now.
  • Reply 51 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Since you would claim they're lying, why would anyone read "good" into your comments Solipsism? Again, there's no reason to believe anything other than what they said. I think Mr. Jobs would rather see the animosity disappear for at least a few days. That's one of the best ways to show your respect for him IMHO.

Why make any claim of morality at all. It's business. It's war. You make your weaknesses look like strengths whenever possible. Not announcing ICS is a weakness but saying it's because you're honoring some fallen opponent makes it sound noble if you romanticize it… a trait humans love to find as we categorize everything as good or evil. Plain and simple, this respite makes is most logical if they needed more time to regroup after the iPhone 4S announcement; Jobs passing just helps them save face doing it.

PS: If this was just about honouring Jobs they could hold the event and have a moment of silence at the end and/or a note about Jobs efforts in the industry at the beginning or end.
  • Reply 52 of 192
    Samsung has been USING Apple's IP with no reservation and now Google and Samsung are "rubbing salt to the wound" by USING Steve Job's death to advance their ulterior motives.

I hope their "win-win" ploy backfires.

In times of war battles are waged regardless of civilian casualties and companies are in the same mindset to secure an advantage - fair or unfair. So this whole "deferral" thing out of respect is pure BS.
  • Reply 53 of 192
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    When is Steve Job's funeral?

It could be that these companies realize that whatever they introduce will be totally overshadowed by the funeral, and that's why they are postponing the event.

It also must have been pretty tough for Apple to hold the iPhone event on tuesday when the people on stage knew that Steve was on his death bed.
  • Reply 54 of 192
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    It's more like they might not get enough attention ...
  • Reply 55 of 192
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Very classy. My opinion of Google and Samsung goes up around 5 notches.

Here's very not classy:

rms, freetardism's dear leader posted this:

Quote:

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective.

http://stallman.org/archives/2011-ju...8Steve_Jobs%29

World's biggest jerk. I would say that my opinion of RMS dropped 5 notches but it was rock bottom already.
  • Reply 56 of 192
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I love how people immediately assume this has an ulterior motive. I'm disappointed. These two company's may have been at war with each other in the market, but they are still run by people. This reminds me of something tragic that just happened to the University of Michigan Marching Band. Understand that I'm a member of The Ohio State Marching Band, and the only reason I'm even spelling that state's name is out of respect. One of their band members died in a car accident. Now, for those of you who don't understand the OSU-UM rivalry, I'll try and sum it up for you. I hate that state. I hate everything about them. I hate the colors Maize and Blue. I'd rather be punched in the balls than listen to Hail To the Victors. A female wearing that jersey is just as disgusting as one that smokes (I'm a non-smoker). When we march into Ann Arbor, the band and our team has as many security guards and snipers (yeah, snipers \) as the president giving a speech...We still get charged at and I've gotten a black eye from being assaulted while leaving. Essentially, we hate each other. That being said, when we learned of this kids death, we essentially ended practice early out of respect. We sent a few of our own to personally talk to their band to let them know that we feel their pain. I know some of you probably don't care, but after experiencing this just last week (seriously, look it up), I have a better understanding of what Google/Samsung are doing. Death is much bigger than you and I.

tl;dr: People are capable of being great.

tl;dr2: Muck Fichigan.

I do understand your story but will NEVER understand how a person can be moved to such an extreme. Sports rivalries make no sense to me (I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area) and while business rivalries make economic sense, why in the world would anyone every feel so strongly about a sports team that they would be moved to violence over it? Just does not add up for me.

You say you hate everything about them - but why and to what end? where is the value and or benefit to you to harbor that hate? I almost never even use the word hate - the closest I come may be when trying to avoid idiot drivers not eh road - why do I not use the word? because to hate something requires time and effort that in my opinion is entirely wasted when you could be doing something positive or enjoyable. the world as a whole would be a far better place if everyone could put the hate behind them and be a positive force in the world. How utterly stupid is it to hate someone just because they happened to be born and raised in the next star over from you? (or even if you have voluntarily made the choice of which team to support etc).

I have no idea what the change in announcements from companies that compete with Apple means and what the motives might be of the individuals behind them - all the speculating sure can be fun though. As for ulterior motives - there is ALWAYS an ulterior motive - no matter how outwardly benign or benevolent any act might be - there is ALWAYS an ulterior motive - even if that ulterior motive is simply the knowledge and satisfaction of knowing that you did something that made you happy (or peaceful or content etc) - even if your actions had no impact whatsoever on any one else.
  • Reply 57 of 192
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifelong View Post

True, corporations don't, but maybe the people who run them do.

Folks forget that companies are run by people...which is why business isn't always business.
  • Reply 58 of 192
    Though copying is the highest form or flattery. Its obvious (visually for me) that Samsung copies Apple. Out of respect how about a little more variation in the look and feel of your products Samsung.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google and Samsung have canceled an event planned for next week where the companies were supposed to announce the first smartphone based on Android "Ice Cream Sandwich," a move reportedly made in response to the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The two companies are said to have rescheduled the event out of respect for Jobs, sources told Ina Fried of All Things D. The companies were originally scheduled to show off the next version of Google's Android operating system, dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich, along with a new "Nexus" smartphone built by Samsung on Tuesday.

"Sources said the companies just felt it was the wrong time to hold a launch event, as the world continues mourning Jobs, who died on Wednesday," Fried wrote.

Samsung and Google earlier on Friday issued a joint statement stating they would postpone the "Samsung Mobile Unpacked" event during the CTIA trade show in San Diego, Calif. "Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product," the press release vaguely said.

The move by Samsung and Apple is particularly interesting because Apple has not changed its plans to launch the iPhone 4S next week. The company began taking preorders earlier Friday for the handset's Oct. 14 launch.

Both Google and Samsung have paid their respects to Jobs since he died after a long bout with cancer on Wednesday at the age of 56. Google's executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, formerly served as a member on Apple's board of directors.

Teasers for the now-postponed event have teased that the companies will show off "something big." Reports have indicated the new handset will sport a curved screen with a 4.65-inch display, and will be the first handset to run Android 4.0.

• Reply 59 of 192
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post

This. No further explanation needed. No conspiracy, no ulterior motives. This is about respect for one of their heroes, plain and simple.

How many millions did they decide to lose in order to express this respect? 10? 100?

Or did they decide that they could make more via a delay?

Or did they say "I don't care if it costs $100,000,00.00! I gots RESPECT!"
  • Reply 60 of 192
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted