More users say they'll likely buy iPhone 4S than can find fault in it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

88% of Android users find nothing compelling enough in iPhone to consider switching

Majority of Apple's own customers find no compelling reason to upgrade to latest iPhone

Even near-total-failure RIMM has fewer than one fourth of its customers who find the latest iPhone worth switching for

The numbers are bad, Apple needs to figure out away to attract more buyers to the iPhone before it is too late. There will always be some diehard fanatics, but I find it hard to believe that the majority of Android or Blackberry users are biased.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

The numbers are bad, Apple needs to figure out away to attract more buyers to the iPhone before it is too late. There will always be some diehard fanatics, but I find it hard to believe that the majority of Android or Blackberry users are biased.

You do realize that without the sarcasm tag some people are going to take you seriously...
  • Reply 23 of 67
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

AT&T holds you prisoner.

I preordered last Friday and was told 1 week. Now I am told 2 - 3 weeks. I tried to cancel and just pick up an iPhone 4 instead and they say they cannot do anything until the phone arrives.

Time to call my credit card company.

It's the same policy if you pre-order with Apple... And Apple's the one who controls the supply.

Has anyone confirmed that the phones ordered through AT&T are really being shipped from AT&T or are they just using the same Apple process?
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while only 29 percent said they were disappointed in the new model.

How about a comparison to disappointment in previous years.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Those Android phones with large screens are designed for a very specific segment of the market.

Here is a typical Android user using a dumbphone, but they were recently polled and 36% of them stated that they prefer 5" and bigger phones. Anything under 5" was simply too small for their fat thumbs and gorilla hands.

4" is the sweet spot in my opinion. By the by, your comments are ridiculous, even for this site. Get the blinkers off mate - people ARE a bit underwhelmed with this release. Live with it.

I'm not saying there's a load of better phones out there, but the "s" is for speed shit is getting old. They pulled that trick already, even I fell for it. It was this realisation that drove me away from the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Let's take a fresh look at these numbers:

In spite of the glowing headline, based on those numbers one can accurately say:

Nearly half of current Apple customers find nothing worth upgrading for in the latest iPhone, many citing multiple deficiencies

If I had an iPhone 4, I probably wouldn't consider it worth the upgrade either. Heck, as cool as the iPad 2 is, I decided to wait for the iPad 3 because I already have an iPad 1. Does that mean the products or disappointing or that people just aren't going to spend hundreds of dollars each year to stay on the bleeding edge of technology.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

4" is the sweet spot in my opinion. By the by, your comments are ridiculous, even for this site. Get the blinkers off mate - people ARE a bit underwhelmed with this release. Live with it.

I'm not saying there's a load of better phones out there, but the "s" is for speed shit is getting old. They pulled that trick already, even I fell for it. It was this realisation that drove me away from the iPhone.

That's a stupid reason. That's like going away from Android phones because you realize the Droid voice in the commercial is actually a person and not a robot.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Pretty graphics but silly comparison. I was a little disappointed but would still like to upgrade.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

A survey of 1,300 smartphone users in the US found that half said they planned or considered to buy the new phone, while only 29 percent said they were disappointed in the new model. ...

"I wish it had a bigger screen" is really just a subset of "I wish it had a new design."

Otherwise it's just a redesign for redesign's sake and anyone who wants that is just an idiot.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:

And then you realized that no other smartphone or platform out there is nearly as well supported, either from the company that makes the hardware/software, the accessory makers, or the third-party developers. Apple has the majority of the mindshare, and that is very important. Even a lot of people I know that have an Android phone only got it because it was either cheaper and "was like an iPhone" (best indication right there), iPhone is/was not on their network, or they just don't like anything with an Apple logo on it, no matter the merits. I like Android, don't get me wrong, but there is nothing about it currently that is leaps and bounds better than an iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Or, since we have other studies about the % of each group that says they will stay with their current brand, we can view the numbers another way. Correctly.

Most iPhone owners, a huge majority, say they will only get another iPhone, yet half don't want the 4s. In other words they will keep what they have. More than half of android users say they will not get a new version of the same phone, but some see reason to change to iPhones. In other words iPhones owners fall into two camps, those keeping their current iPhone and those upgrading. Almost none of them are considering another phone. Android users however are planning on a new phone, and some of them are looking at iPhones. The rest we don't know about what type they are considering.

Apple has a near 100% retention rate, as studies show. Android users are bouncing from phone to phone till they find one they like. And the numbers suggest that what they will eventually like is an iPhone. So how is this bad news for Apple?

Oh that is right, the bad news post was by a known troll...
  • Reply 32 of 67
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Actually, 29% of all smartphone users found fault versus only 24% that planned to buy it ("not sure" does not mean "likely"). And 47% of iPhone 4 owners found fault versus 42% that planned to buy.

Quote:

Those findings, compiled by Retrevo, contradict the general complaint among media pundits of being unimpressed with the new iPhone 4S, <...>

I thought it wasn't the consumer's job to know what they want? It doesn't seem reasonable for the media pundits to echo the complaints of nearly half of the knowledgeable owners of Apple's current flagship phone?

Quote:

Among iPhone 4 users, dissatisfaction rates were substantially higher, countering another media-led fallacy that Apple's customers are generally ignorant and will buy anything the company sells without a consideration of features.

Seems like you need to establish what percentage of Apple customers are iPhone 4 users before you make that grasp at generalization. According to these statistics, it's possible that at least 42-53% of iPhone 4 customers are indeed Apple sheep. And the other 47-58% don't think it's worth upgrading to, which contradicts your sweeping headline. Maybe you should stick to one argument at a time.

Quote:

Still, 42 percent of existing iPhone 4 users said they planned to buy the new model, and 44 percent of iPhone 3G and 3GS users said they would upgrade.

Wow, it's only a compelling upgrade for 44% of 3G/3GS users? That's shocking to me, I thought the 4S was "meant" for those holdouts.

Quote:

Just 12 percent of Android owners said they would get the iPhone 4S, but 24 percent of all BlackBerry users said they would upgrade.

12% doesn't sound like an Android killer stat to me. I'm guessing the other 76% of Blackberry users are probably content with using their 3-6 year old Blackberry for a few more years (which makes them a perfect fit for RIM's product pipeline).

Quote:

To obtain the new iPhone 4S, 18 percent of those who said they planned to buy it expect to wait "in a long line" or planned to camp out for the new device in front of the store, while 53 percent didn't anticipate any problems in getting one.

At least we've established the 18% idiot margin of error with this survey. Preorder? huh?

So the 4S is less than a coin toss for existing iPhone owners, and barely any interest to Android/Blackberry users. No doubt that will still be impressive sales numbers, but hardly overwhelming greatness.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Give it another 6-8 weeks. As more Android phones start using 4.5" 720P displays the iPhone is going to look more attractive.

-kpluck

Fixed your typo.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

TrollZZs are out!

Yez!!
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:

Get the blinkers off mate - people ARE a bit underwhelmed with this release. Live with it.

Yeah, we're all living with the fact that it is Apple's most successful product yet.

Apple is doomed.?
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:

I am a bit underwhelmed with this release.

Fixed.

Quote:

They pulled that trick already, even I fell for it.

A brand new processor faster than any other phone on the market. WHAT A NASTY TRICK.

Quote:

It was this realisation that drove me away from the iPhone.

Are you threatening to come back? Because if so, fine, I agree with you. Anything to make you not have one, I guess.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

So, you are of the opinion that the new iPhone should have looked different for the sake of looking different? I cannot think of any other reason why someone would want a different case design than to be able to show off that one has the 'new' model.

I hope that you don't feel too disappointed that Mac 15" laptops have had only three different case designs over the last ten years (the Ti-Book, the Al-Book, and the Unibody model).
  • Reply 38 of 67
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    We can count on one hand how many people have actually touched a 4S? Let's see what happens when they are in the field; when applications start rolling out that the CPU, GPU, voice, and iCloud; when a 3G or 3GS owner has a friend with one or picks one up in an Apple Store.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that Android people who keep boasting about their 4.5" phone are really poor people and they can't afford an iPad 2.

4.5" is too large for a phone and if somebody wants a bigger size for something, just use an iPad!

You're also right about one handed operation, that is very important.

I can't see why anyone would brag about 4.5, or even 5 inches
  • Reply 40 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

We can count on one hand how many people have actually touched a 4S? Let's see what happens when they are in the field; when applications start rolling out that the CPU, GPU, voice, and iCloud; when a 3G or 3GS owner has a friend with one or picks one up in an Apple Store.

I already have an iPad 2, so I know what the performance is like. It's pretty darn good.

I also read today that Grand Theft Auto III is being released, only available for iPhone 4S and iPad 2.