Survey of iPhone 4S buyers finds 73% are upgraders, 19% chose 64GB model

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new survey of customers in line at Apple stores on Friday to buy the iPhone 4S found that nearly three-quarters are upgrading from a previous version of the iPhone, while 27 percent are buying their first Apple handset.

Investment firm Piper Jaffray polled 550 people at Apple retail stores Friday morning regarding iPhone 4S purchase patterns. In all, 73 percent of iPhone 4S buyers said they are upgrading from a previous version, compared with 77 percent for the iPhone 4 launch in 2010, 56 percent in 2009, and 38 percent in 2008.

"We believe Apple has built brand loyalty not enjoyed by the Android platform," analyst Gene Munster said. He cited the results of a previous poll conducted that found 94 percent of iPhone users said they would stick with Apple for their next smartphone, while 47 percent of Android users said they expect to buy another Android-powered phone.

The survey also indicated that 19 percent of first-day buyers at Apple retail stores opted for the new high-capacity 64GB iPhone 4S model, which costs $399. Most customers -- 49 percent -- chose the smallest capacity of 16GB for $199, while 32 percent went with 32GB for $299.

Last year, for the iPhone 4 launch, Piper Jaffray's polling found that 54 percent of customers purchased the 32GB model, and 46 percent chose the 16GB capacity.

Munster expects that Apple will sell between 2 million and 2.5 million iPhone 4S units over this launch weekend. That would be a new record for Apple, beating the company's previous record of 1.7 million iPhone 4 units sold in 2010.

Even before it became available, the iPhone 4S already began breaking records. On Monday, Apple announced that it had sold one million preorders in the first 24 hours of availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I'll be in the 27% group... Pretty excited!
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I pre-ordered my phone through AT&T and then found out I had to wait three weeks to receive it but the the AT&T store had hundreds of phones waiting for walk-in customers. I had to threaten to cancel my entire AT&T phone service before they would exchange the phones and let me buy it in store. This of course after they swore up-and-down that they could not do it and they would not do it, but of course when I decided to take my business somewhere else they change their mind. I'm dictating this message from my new iPhone 4S
  • Reply 3 of 28
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I pre-ordered my phone through AT&T and then found out I had to wait three weeks to receive it but the the AT&T store had hundreds of phones waiting for walk-in customers. I had to threaten to cancel my entire AT&T phone service before they would exchange the phones and let me buy it in store. This of course after they swore up-and-down that they could not do it and they would not do it, but of course when I decided to take my business somewhere else they change their mind. I'm dictating this message from my new iPhone 4S

I'm wondering if my store has some in...
  • Reply 4 of 28
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Really? I waited in line this morning to cancel my preorder and order in store, since, despite being ordered on the 7th, it was still "pending shipment". It took a few extra minutes, but they were more than happy to do it. Maybe yours had already shipped? Or it's something that's better to do in store.

Also, Siri is awesome. It even told me how much wood a wood chuck can chuck, assuming said woodchuck could chuck wood. It actually had several different answers.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    My wife and I are both new iPhone owners. Mine was delivered already (I ordered through Apple and came in by FedEX). Wife is waiting on hers (she ordered though Sprint and coming by UPS).

I ordered a black 64GB, she a black 32GB.

Can't wait to go home and try to make Siri blush!

BTW, we are both leaving Android phones for iPhones. I have an Evo4G. She an Evo Shift 4G. I will probably miss the 4G at times and the kickstand but not much else...

Somehow, we became 2 iPhone peas in a pod... but not iPod as I will sell my iPod touch now.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    This isn't surprising. Anyone who is standing in line, is probably a big enough iPhone fan that they would have gotten the earlier version.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

My wife and I are both new iPhone owners. Mine was delivered already (I ordered through Apple and came in by FedEX). Wife is waiting on hers (she ordered though Sprint and coming by UPS).

I ordered a black 64GB, she a black 32GB.

Can't wait to go home and try to make Siri blush!

BTW, we are both leaving Android phones for iPhones. I have an Evo4G. She an Evo Shift 4G. I will probably miss the 4G at times and the kickstand but not much else...

Somehow, we became 2 iPhone peas in a pod... but not iPod as I will sell my iPod touch now.

Can you get the two Siri's to talk to each other?? that would make an awesome video!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

Can you get the two Siri's to talk to each other?? that would make an awesome video!

Give it 3 days and start searching YouTube...
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Really? I waited in line this morning to cancel my preorder and order in store, since, despite being ordered on the 7th, it was still "pending shipment". It took a few extra minutes, but they were more than happy to do it. Maybe yours had already shipped? Or it's something that's better to do in store.

No mine had not shipped. Mine was still pending I explain this to the manager of the store and they wouldn't do anything they said it was not possible at all so I told them I wanted to talk the district manager and to cancel my AT&T account on the spot and a magically were able to exchange the phones.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    At least one famous iPhone 4S customer was new: http://bit.ly/oxOzSO
  • Reply 11 of 28
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    I choose the 64GB, but if my wife has her way, my wallet will only choose the 16GB heh. Having to wait till next weekend and hoping the Sprint store will actually have phones in stock
  • Reply 12 of 28
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Time to turn all those old 3G and 3GS models into iPods with GPS?s!

My old iPhone 3G works great as an in-car GPS with Navigon MyRegion. No SIM, no service plan, no network needed. Clearly, tower-assisted GPS can?t work, but the startup time and accuracy of the GPS still seems to be great.

Plus, an old iPhone makes a spare screen for ultraportable multiplayer gaming.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

Only if a person is able to correctly time the Siri-activating button pushing on the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    I'd get the 64GB if it wasn't $399. You'd think Apple would sell the 32GB model for $199 or $249 by now, but NoooooOOOOO!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    The one's I know that bought online from Verizon got there's today. At&t blows...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    32 for me, upgrading from a 4.

It's sweet, and Siri is awesome.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Also, Siri is awesome. It even told me how much wood a wood chuck can chuck, assuming said woodchuck could chuck wood. It actually had several different answers.

Have posed a fair number of questions to it, but hadn't thought of that one!

Answer the next question "no" and...

---

Ahh, using a phone has gotten very interesting!
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I walked into AT&T store in Birmingham AL and walked out in less than 10 minutes.

Activated iCloud in the parking lot and KABOOOM, everything was perfect.

11 minutes tops to upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

32 for me, upgrading from a 4.

It's sweet, and Siri is awesome.

Some people have too much money... give me some.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Have posed a fair number of questions to it, but hadn't thought of that one!

Answer the next question "no" and...

---

Ahh, using a phone has gotten very interesting!

Me: what is the best smart phone in the world?

Siri: you're kidding, right?!