Rush of iPhone 4S activations forces some on AT&T into holding pattern

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    Activation delayed by AT&T. In Alabama.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    i tried acitivating on the iphone 4s, AT&t online and itunes and get the same message.

If it were not for rollover minutes and voice/data at the same time I would switch carriers.

You would think after all the issues they have had in the past with iphones and the experience they have 4 previous launches they would get their act together.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I'm stuck as well. What was the number of iPhone 4Ss AT&T is turning up today? Add in-store purchases. Figure tonight's gonna get worse when all those presents left on doorsteps are opened.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Maybe I should walk my 4S over to the Verizon store. I'd bet THEY could activate me!
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Yep, finally got mine a few minutes ago and am stuck at activation just like everyone else. Kinda sad that AT&T is on it's 5th iPhone launch and still can't get it right.

[edit] Nevermind, got it to go on the second try!
  • Reply 46 of 63
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Don't remember any news about AT&T server delay for a major Android phone release. Have I missed something?

Yeah, no single-vendor sales of any one Android manufacturer come anywhere near close to Apple.

Yes, I realize Android doesn't activate the same as the iPhone - the point still stands
  • Reply 47 of 63
    AT&T agent who seemed knowledgeable (oxymoron?) said that every time you try again to reactivate your iPhone thru iTunes, you are kicked to the 'back of the line'. He also said that while activation times where about 3 hours earlier today, they are now down to about 15 minutes.

For what it's worth, the AT&T agent checked my iPhone was active and I activated over the phone before plugging into iTunes.

Siri is very cool, but the camera is amazing.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    UPS got here early today. 11:45 rather than the usual 5 P.M. AT&T took 5 1/2 hours to show up to activate.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    I was having the same trouble. A visit to my local AT&T store revealed that they were having success by going through iTunes. I tried that and it worked! Do't try the wireless route built into the opening screen. Just plug it in to iTunes and it will probably work fine.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jstrange View Post

I was having the same trouble. A visit to my local AT&T store revealed that they were having success by going through iTunes. I tried that and it worked! Do't try the wireless route built into the opening screen. Just plug it in to iTunes and it will probably work fine.

It took about 10 tries to work through iTunes for me, but I agree that's the way to go. The cycle time to retry using only the phone is a pain, with iTunes it's just unplug/replug/retry.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 52 of 63
    mcrcnmcrcn Posts: 27member
    I tried 3 times over a few hours and the 4th time was the charm a few minutes ago.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    I am beginning to wonder at what hour UPS considers end of day. I guess 11:59 pm.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilla View Post

I am beginning to wonder at what hour UPS considers end of day. I guess 11:59 pm.

Teamster union rules at UPS say "done when the last package on that driver's load is delivered."

That's why those folks hustle. Last pkg = go home. That's also why during the holiday season they work longer hours.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    I haven't been able to activate my Verizon iPhone 4s since it arrived. Called Verizon...45 minutes later I was told they are have problems with ported numbers and that I should be able to use my phone by 7pm PT. We'll see.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Why is it that so many of you feel the need to blame AT&T for the server issues?

First of all this is a ONE DAY A YEAR thing. It would be stupid of at&t to invest in their servers just for this one day. Why would they when they work great the entire year.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Got the 4S early today. Immediately got on the delayed activation queue. Didn't really understand the message that I was either waiting for an email or needed to try again later. Had to go out for about 4 hours. Left 4s at home and took 1st gen iPhone with me. About 15 minutes later I go to use the phone and it's bricked (as a phone). When I got home the new 4S activated instantly. A little aggravating but you have to be pretty stupid to want flawless on huge opening days like this. It is the price you pay for hyper early adoption. You got to treat it as fun or just wait another week.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Why is it that so many of you feel the need to blame AT&T for the server issues?

First of all this is a ONE DAY A YEAR thing. It would be stupid of at&t to invest in their servers just for this one day. Why would they when they work great the entire year.

Seriously? Would you blame the Super Bowl if they were unable to get the crowd in in time for kickoff? I mean, it's a one day a year thing.

When you sell a service, people expect you to be able to deliver what you sell. If AT&T knew that they could handle a maximum of 750,000 activations on launch day and knowingly sold 1,000,000 phones, they knew they were screwing their customers. If they didn't know their activation servers' capacity, they're incompetent.

That's why people blame them. Because they are to blame.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Seriously? Would you blame the Super Bowl if they were unable to get the crowd in in time for kickoff? I mean, it's a one day a year thing.

When you sell a service, people expect you to be able to deliver what you sell. If AT&T knew that they could handle a maximum of 750,000 activations on launch day and knowingly sold 1,000,000 phones, they knew they were screwing their customers. If they didn't know their activation servers' capacity, they're incompetent.

That's why people blame them. Because they are to blame.

So AT&T should spend more on its servers or sell less on launch day just so people don't have to wait a little bit. You are an early adopter and its the price to pay. Its only the activations that are taking a long time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Is it? What happens when everyone moves the contents of their storage to iCloud?

iCloud is Apple not AT&T. And yeah Wednesday Apple suffered some issues with the iOS 5 release.