With 4% market share, Apple's iPhone rakes in 52% of mobile profits

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It is new in American business?

Yes, in products for consumers. You can cite Boeing or IBM or NCR for commerce and business, but nothing for consumers to compare with Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

Oh boy - when's your trip to India?

Oh, no! Someone is health conscious! He must be completely bat-crap insane and Eastern spiritual about all sorts of crap!

The heck is wrong with you?

Quote:

Keep up the good habits, tS!

I'd love to go to India sometime. My father lived there for eighteen years and can speak fluent Hindi, so it has always interested me.

Ashrams and living off the earth and meditation and zen and Buddhism? Not so much at all. Come off it.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, no! Someone is health conscious! He must be completely bat-crap insane and Eastern spiritual about all sorts of crap!

Are you sure his comment was meant to be negative?
  • Reply 44 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It is new in American business?

On the large scale he's right to some extent. Cheap won out so often over quality it became the model many businesses followed. Just look at VHS or Winblows machines, not until iPod did a higher priced but superior product win through so strongly against the crap. I would credit Sony with some success in this too with many of their products in the far distant past. My first Trinitron 13" was a techno wet dream.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you sure his comment was meant to be negative?

Not certain, just assumed.

The assumption came from the parallels drawn with Steve Jobs and the somewhat facetious call on a spontaneous trip to India.

If I'm wrong, I do apologize.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

I'd love to go to India sometime. My father lived there for eighteen years and can speak fluent Hindi, so it has always interested me.

Ashrams and living off the earth and meditation and zen and Buddhism? Not so much at all. Come off it.

I bet your dad can whip up a mean curry you lucky thing!
  • Reply 47 of 101
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_sparkle View Post

Still that isn't a 5% increase. That is a 500 basis points increase. You can't subtract percentages to get the percent increase. 47% * X% = 52%. I'll let you do the math from there.

You are overthinking it. 47% to 52% is an increase of 5% of the overall market. Period. It is always relative to the 100% of the entire market. Yes, you can also call that a 500 basis point increase. So??? That's just different units of measure, not different meanings.

You seem to want to asses it as how much did Apple grow their market share, which is a different question that has an answer of ~10.6%.

Trying to be cute by over-parsing the text to try to get it to fit into a different context isn't worth it, nor is that correct. solipsism was correct in what he said.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    Quote:

Not certain, just assumed.

The assumption came from the parallels drawn with Steve Jobs and the somewhat facetious call on a spontaneous trip to India.

If I'm wrong, I do apologize.

I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I spent 6 months in India in 2007* re-training for my CCIE and traveling quite a bit around the country. My favourite city was Shimla, up in the mountains. It's nice and cool in the Summer. I suggest taking a week long trek through the Himalyas if you're up there. I give you the name of my guide as I kept in touch with him (and dozens of others I met from around the world while in India) for years via Facebook.

* Left a week before the original iPhone came out. Still bought two of them over the internet, just not for me.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I take ur point...but not really that surprising when u consider most businesses follow the "Walmart" business model....sell "crap" at a low cost, but sell a lot of it. Americans seem to equate good value to low cost...

Largest retailer, Walmart. What do they sell? Crap!

Largest beverage company, Coke. What do they sell? Crap!

Largest restaurant company, McDonald's. What do they sell? Crap!

Largest software company, Microsoft. What do they sell? Crap!

Largest PC manufacturer, (by volume), HP. What do they sell? Crap!

Largest auto company, (until recently), GM. What do they sell? Crap!

Largest food company, General Mills-(?). What do they sell? Crap!

Etc., etc....

P.S. Anyone have some more examples I can add to the list?

Largest average number of posts per day to AI Forums, ???. What does the poster sell? Crap!
  • Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You are overthinking it. 47% to 52% is an increase of 5% of the overall market. Period. It is always relative to the 100% of the entire market. Yes, you can also call that a 500 basis point increase. So??? That's just different units of measure, not different meanings.

You seem to want to asses it as how much did Apple grow their market share, which is a different question that has an answer of ~10.6%.

Trying to be cute by over-parsing the text to try to get it to fit into a different context isn't worth it, nor is that correct. solipsism was correct in what he said.

Actually, both are right. Due to the way the sentence is written, either/or could be the correct interpretation. Obviously though, it was clearly meant one way as opposed to the other as mathematically one could figure out the basics (52-5 = 47).

Their is no elimination factor within the specific sentence that could peg it either way, however reading it in the context of the article would make one lean towards the figure being relative to the 100%. Really this is just semantics though as it would be very difficult to make the sentence 100% bullet proof.

Something akin to "At 52%, Apple has captured an additional 5% of the industry profits, up from 47% in 2010"

That's as close as I can get.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    Quote:

Simple math: 50 − 47 = 5

• Reply 52 of 101
    Actually, I thought Tim Cook said recently that he would love to see Apple reach 10% of the worldwide (total) mobile phone market--not just smartphones--but all mobile phones period. Sounds like in 4 years, Apple went from zero to 40% of their goal. I'd call that f--ing impressive for a single manufacturer that, until recently, sold a single model at a time.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

It's even simpler than that. You should never say x percent. It's always x% OF SOMETHING.

So in this case, when Apple went from 47% to 52%, then it's share of the total market grew by 5% OF THE TOTAL MARKET. This could also be expressed to say that it's share grew by 11% OVER ITS PREVIOUS LEVEL.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That was a bad typo. I blame my iPhone keyboard? not my lack of proofreading.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:

That was a bad typo. I blame my iPhone keyboard? not my lack of proofreading.

If you'd written the numbers as words instead of numerals -- you could blame it on iPhone MisTypeAhead
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you'd written the numbers as words instead of numerals -- you could blame it on iPhone MisTypeAhead

Hey now, let's not analyse this too much.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Really? That's what you got out of that? Apologies, meant only happy thoughts.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually, I thought Tim Cook said recently that he would love to see Apple reach 10% of the worldwide (total) mobile phone market--not just smartphones--but all mobile phones period. Sounds like in 4 years, Apple went from zero to 40% of their goal. I'd call that f--ing impressive for a single manufacturer that, until recently, sold a single model at a time.

If memory serves, Jobs announced a goal of 1% of cellphone sales world wide. So indeed, moving that bar to 10% is a sign of accomplishment and confidence.

As for one model at a time, didn't they start selling *older* models concurrently since from 2009 onward?
  • Reply 59 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Even assuming this is true, it's unsustainable. Eventually, something has to change.

Possible changes the industry might adopt:

- Low profit companies stop selling phones

- Companies reduce the range of product offerings to reduce cost

- Companies improve their products enough to gain market share and profits

Right now, Apple makes an average of 25 times as much per phone as the rest of the industry. SOMEONE has to make a change.

You forgot the other option. They stay the same or they poorly execute one of these options and the companies go bankrupt. That happened to Palm and it looks like RIM is on that trajectory.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

An historical example of a company dominating forever? For @#$%'s sake!

What we can look at it the four cores business segments Apple operates: PC, PMP, handset, tablet. They dominate profits in each. That should at least make you consider that Apple is pretty good company at understanding their core markets… but and ConradJoe and go right ahead and spin it into Apple is somehow lucky or that other companies aren't really in it for the money.

Did I say Apple was just lucky? Do I spin every Apple success into something else?

I do believe I look at both sides of the coin. I leave it to others to spin everything into Cupertino genius, and call everyone else a troll. Then there's you, Mr. KIngSpin, the one who can spin 50 - 47 into 5.