Adobe confirms it will no longer develop Flash for mobile browsers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

Now there are some ways Flash will be missed (no, stop laughing, please bear with me). All the crap out there on websites you can avoid by not installing Flash at the moment will start to be made in different ways and it'll be that little bit harder to ignore.

I just hope Flash doesn't go away on the desktop¡ I don't know what I'd do if I went to a restaurant's website and actually got useful information.
    edit: LOL I see freckledbruh just mentioned restaurant sites.
  • Reply 82 of 170
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's giving God tips on Intelligent Design telling him he needs to focus this products better starting with discontinuing the designed-by-committee platypus.

(I hope that doesn't offend anyone)

Square glass clouds will be the next big thing above
  • Reply 83 of 170
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yay, no more choice!

Utter nonsense.

Quote:

This is not a "win" for anyone,

Except for those using mobile devices that might like to actually have a consistent, smoothly operating user experience in the future. Flash on mobile really doesn't work all that well.

Quote:

although it's not the worst thing ever. I am fine with open standards that work, but for now, most of the web uses Flash.

And the personal (even small business) computer world used to depend on BASIC for commercial applications. And 20mA current-loop interfaces for printers.

Things change, and tech development usually moves toward better performance and utility, or at least the potential for them.
  • Reply 84 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I hope those images use JPEGs because we can't afford to pay CompuServe their licensing fees for GIFs.

You mean Sperry Corporation right? Also, jpeg is patent encumbered as well. only png format is completely open source as far as I know. I sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
  • Reply 85 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You mean Sperry Corporation right? Also, jpeg is patent encumbered as well. only png format is completely open source as far as I know. I sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

I thought GIF was the only one that caused any issues and I thought CompuServe owned the rights. It's been so long I can't even be sure I spelled the acronyms correctly.
  • Reply 86 of 170
    Quote:

I thought GIF was the only one that caused any issues and I thought CompuServe owned the rights. It's been so long I can't even be sure I spelled the acronyms correctly.

As I recall Sperry owned the patent for the compression that Compuserve used in the GIF format. Once Sperry was acquired by Unisys they are the ones who started making a stink about the patent related to GIF.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As I recall Sperry owned the patent for the compression that Compuserve used in the GIF format. Once Sperry was acquired by Unisys they are the ones who started making a stink about the patent related to GIF.

I heard that Google are offering the square root of minus one for these patents now.
  • Reply 88 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

I heard that Google are offering the square root of minus one for these patents now.

Sharing the cost with their partners they'll have to divide that by zero
  • Reply 89 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I hope you do not think iDevices are secure. You do realize that instead of making JailbreakMe.com, Comex could had been malicious and made websites to brick every iDevice that visited without warning, right? Fortunately, he turned out to be a good guy.

i think your chances of getting 'hacked' are higher with android devices than apple's. the difference is that when the rare 'flaw' is found Apple gets ripped more than the others because the others have flaws much more often and it really isn't new news.

now i do wish apple would embrace google's chrome 'rewards' for finding bugs. give hackers a reason to cash in the flaws rather than use them...
  • Reply 90 of 170
    Wanna bet google is going to buy the mobile flash end from adobe
  • Reply 91 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

Wanna bet google is going to buy the mobile flash end from adobe

Wanna bet Adobe wouldn't sell it?

Also, why must people always create horror stories about the worst possible things that could happen in the industry?
  • Reply 92 of 170
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i am not 'html5 people', i am 'all sh*t software needs to go away people'

i guess you still use and sing the praises of RealPlayer too?

Well flash didn't get so widely adopted for being shit software. Oh wait, in OSX I guess it does run like shit. Something about Apple not doing anything at all to ensure a better experience for their users? Oh right.

As far as singing praise, wtf are you talking about? My comments are strictly neutral about flash, but since I'm not on the side bashing it, to you it looks like I'm praising it. What a joke you are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yep.. Flash is perfect for mobile devices and this is why Adobe is committing to Flash for mobile development for the next 100 years. Oh wait!

PS. Do you mind linking to where Steve Jobs said Flash couldn't run on mobile devices?

Who said flash was PERFECT for mobile devices? Funny how the two people who respond to me resort to making stuff up. SF claimed I was singing praise, and now you claim I'm saying it's PERFECT for mobile platforms.

I'm saying Adobe got flash to work fine in Android, and it's a total lie to say it doesn't. The transition here is simply Adobe staying modern. You guys all bash Adobe and flash, yet they are moving to HTML5 as you want, they proved flash can work fine on the most popular mobile OS, and html5 still isn't even widely adopted across mobile platforms yet. Grow a brain. You'll always complain so long as it isn't Apple, which is imbecilic to an EXTREME degree.
  • Reply 93 of 170
    Quote:

This isn't is a suburban elementary school. Not everyone gets a trophy for participating. We keep score, and decided winners and losers.

Although, it seems all of Apple's competitors are getting a gold star for participating in the tablet market while Apple got berated for its original, breakthrough iPad.

it's true. i didn't 'get' the original ipad, thought it was just a big touch. apple: right. Me: WRONG.

i thought not having flash at the outset was ridiculous. Apple: Right. Me: WRONG.

and while i am at it.....Blu-ray players not on Macs. Apple: Right. Me:WRONG.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Flash on mobile really doesn't work all that well.

false
  • Reply 95 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

it's true. i didn't 'get' the original ipad, thought it was just a big touch. apple: right. Me: WRONG.

i thought not having flash at the outset was ridiculous. Apple: Right. Me: WRONG.

and while i am at it.....Blu-ray players not on Macs. Apple: Right. Me:WRONG.

Yes, forgive me oh great Apple. You were right in telling me what I actually want. Please forgive this humble servant my overlord. I will never think that I want anything you don't offer ever again
  • Reply 96 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wanna bet Adobe wouldn't sell it?

Also, why must people always create horror stories about the worst possible things that could happen in the industry?

Google will buy it, then transform it into something more streamlined. Then we'll have the web split down the middle between html5 and flash. The tension will grow until war breaks out. Brother turning on brother, worldwide mayhem and chaos, millions dead.
  • Reply 97 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well flash didn't get so widely adopted for being shit software. Oh wait, in OSX I guess it does run like shit. Something about Apple not doing anything at all to ensure a better experience for their users? Oh right.

actually my comments about flash have less to do with Apple. it has to do with supporting 500 plus windows machines that are in constant peril due to sh*t programming by Adobe.

but i do have several android devices and flash came off the phone early on and will never be put back. i also have it on android 3.2 tablet and i use it when i feel like running the battery down.

face it, like Realplayer, Flash started out good and ended up being a total turd.
  • Reply 98 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yes, forgive me oh great Apple. You were right in telling me what I actually want. Please forgive this humble servant my overlord. I will never think that I want anything you don't offer ever again

do you have an android phone? or tablet?

then you can thank apple for telling you what you wanted cuz no one else was doing that till iphone.
  • Reply 99 of 170
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Good riddance to Flash. You always sucked and not many people are going to miss you.

I can't use you on my mobile devices and I deliberately disable you on my desktop devices. You are an unwanted bastard child and even your creator is abandoning you now.
  • Reply 100 of 170
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    "Apple didn’t favor its own proprietary plugin over Flash. There’s no QuickTime plugin on iOS either. Apple’s view was, and is, that there should be no proprietary web browser plugins, period."

Good point.